So I put my detangling videos up

anon123

So I put up videos of me detangling my hair as I promised in this thread. Now everyone can see my detangling nightmare/technique/shenanigans.

Pre-Wash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN84lSGmCUM

Detangling pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3w7qPl35_k

Detangling pt 2 (cuz my card ran out of memory)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhMWz8gNfzY

Post Wash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te05eIl1DKs

And the thing about it is my hair is still full of knots. I'm trying to part for a few cornrows now and it takes so long to even make a part because it's so full of knots. :wallbash:

OK, Mwedzi, I didn't finish watching the first vid but I think the first thing I noticed is you're detangling hair that isn't drenched in water and conditioner. When my hair hasn't been in braids and thus stretched, I couldn't detangle it unless it was drenched in conditioner and water.

Also by the time I came to the end of your vid, I see you say you were going to use baking soda to clarify. I don't know how many products you use, but being a no product person or minimal product person, I found baking soda just made my hair a tangled mess. Why? Because it strips hair of any build up (that's a good thing) but if you haven't got much of it, it just opens up your hair cuticle making hair more likely to tangle and look dull. I only used baking soda once and will never use it again. I remember the panic that gripped me as I smelled that relaxing hair smell. I suppose that's because the alkaline was opening up my hair cuticle the way lye does. And then my hair became hard and dry looking. It took several condition washes and an ACV rinse to bring my hair back to normal. I find just normal shampoo works for me. But again, I suspect that's because my hair doesn't have build up on it.

your hair looks so soft! :yep:

that shed hair is the devil for sure.

gonna take my time view these bbl............

I'm watching your second video and just want to tell you that your hair isn't abnormal at all. You point out that no matter how much you comb it, the ends still "tangle". But what's happening is very normal. If you imagine pen springs all bundled together, then you can understand why if you put a comb in the middle of your hair and then try to pull through, the comb won't get through the ends. That's only because the "pen springs" contract and curl around each other. The only way to make the comb glide through is to stretch your hair out with one hand so that the springs are stretched out, then the comb will go through with ease. Alternatively, drench it with water and conditioner so it looks like juice dripping hair and the comb will glide through. That's why the only time I comb my hair like you're trying to do is in the shower when it's basically hanging down from the weight of conditioner. And my hair isn't long, so you know for it to hang, then it has to be well drenched

First of all, I have to say that you are gorgeous! :)

Second, I never replied to your first thread because I could tell your hair was WAY thicker than mine, but I couldn't see how thick until I saw your videos. Your hair is like 10x thicker than mine! It's really beautiful but thick and yes, you have the patience of a saint!

My hair gets as tangled as yours though, but instead of like 25 twists to detangle, I only need 6-8 twists.

The only things I can suggest:
-I coat my strands with heavy butters and waxes and leave them stretched as much as possible to minimize them tangling on themselves.

-When I was transitioning, I didn't have a shower, so I would get a knee pad for gardening and lean over the tub to detangle each twist. That way, I could turn off and on the water while still being able to use the water's pressure to help with detangling. For my hair, it took much longer to detangle when I tried to do with product alone and without water pressure.

-Combs (I have used picks and shower combs) do not do it for my hair because it doesn't capture the shed hair. I do a very aggressive finger detangle, and then I have to use a wet Denman 4 brush on soaking wet hair slowly to detangle well.

-Using yogurt or milk products has pretty much been the only thing to really assist with minimizing tangles in my hair. Other products that work well with the yogurt for my hair: honey, molasses, olive oil, castor oil, Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Honeysuckle Rose, GPB. I've found the best commercial deep conditioners to be: MasterCuts Vitamin C hair mask; Curls Asian Hair Tea; JessiCurl Too Shea.

I hope that naturals with thick hair can chime in and help you!

Ooh, that looks like my hair when I wear it out for a while - which is why I gave up on wearing my hair out. Wow. Yeah, those knots are a...... yeah. :ohwell:

I watched your last vid and I like your idea of drying in rollers so you get it to dry stretched.

About parting to cornrow, I find this easiest to do if I let my hair dry in square plaits first. It's been a while since I've had all my hair out, but when I did, I'd put it in braids while it was damp as in your vids so it'd be stretched and detangled. Braiding to the ends more than I did would give better results.

Then parting to cornrow wouldn't be so hard. The ends might still curl around each other but getting them wet with something like SCurl would make the coils slide out of each other's embrace with ease.

I think your hair is lovely and behaves just as it should. :yep:

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Noni. Well, the first video, I wasn't trying to detangle. I was just trying to put into twists to wash to then get into detangle mode. So for the first video I just dampened my hair and then applied the cholesterol. For the detangling videos, my hair was soaking wet (you can see still dripping down the sides of my face) and coated in that Trader Joe's conditioner.

For the baking soda, it's not something I do often. Maybe once every 4-6 weeks. But I will say that I can't detect any difference between when I do and when I don't. I do use products with cones sometimes, so people recommend that I should clarify.

It's hard to know what to do, everyone has contradictory advice. So they say you just have to find what works for you. But nothing does. Well, unless I just keep it twisted all the time, with a 1 wash maximum per twist session. Even the bun is not enough, I discovered. :sad:

OK, Mwedzi, I didn't finish watching the first vid but I think the first thing I noticed is you're detangling hair that isn't drenched in water and conditioner. When my hair hasn't been in braids and thus stretched, I couldn't detangle it unless it was drenched in conditioner and water.

Also by the time I came to the end of your vid, I see you say you were going to use baking soda to clarify. I don't know how many products you use, but being a no product person or minimal product person, I found baking soda just made my hair a tangled mess. Why? Because it strips hair of any build up (that's a good thing) but if you haven't got much of it, it just opens up your hair cuticle making hair more likely to tangle and look dull. I only used baking soda once and will never use it again. I remember the panic that gripped me as I smelled that relaxing hair smell. I suppose that's because the alkaline was opening up my hair cuticle the way lye does. And then my hair became hard and dry looking. It took several condition washes and an ACV rinse to bring my hair back to normal. I find just normal shampoo works for me. But again, I suspect that's because my hair doesn't have build up on it.

sorry mwedzi - i'm not trying to talk about you in front of you........

does anyone think that maybe a silicone conditioner or silicone detangler might help give her hair more slip to get her past the constant tangling?

Hey LynnieB, can you give examples? I'm thinking something with a lot of slip?

Mwedzi, my bad, I didn't see that vid with your hair drenching wet. I just went Detangling 2 thinking that was vid 2. *shameface* I'm watching it now.

Nonie, first I want to thank you for the reassurance that my hair is not abnormal. When I looked at all the YouTube videos that showed detangling of natural hair or any time when anyone would comb their hair, it NEVER looked like mine. Many of them can just rake a comb through their hair with ease and I was getting depressed. So I thought, though my videos might not be a good guide on how you should treat your hair, at least other very nappy haired folk could see someone like them and not feel like such a knotted freak.

Cheleigh, thank you. :) I am a far-away admire of your pretty hair. Yes, you are right, combs do not take out all the shed hair. I have a Denman but it's sooo hard to get it through my hair. It's like, see how hard it was to get 1 row of teeth through my hair? Now imagine trying to get 7 rows of teeth (like on the Denman) through it. I did it last week and I could only get it through after using the comb, which of course added another hour onto my detangle time. Maybe I'm not doing small enough sections? But if I make them smaller, again, it's going to take longer. I guess I can't really get out of it taking several hours. All this for wearing a puff for 3 days! 3 days! How long did your finger detangle + brushing take? Oh, I did try a yogurt treatment once but it didn't help. Maybe I need to do it over and over again before seeing any results?

Kiya, I know. :( Do you really like twists, or are they something you've just resigned yourself to?

Lynnie, ask away! Please! Actually, I compared 9 products for detangling and the best one was a cone conditioner. It was Herbal Essences Totally Twisted. I mean, it didn't make miracle (otherwise I'd never use anything else), but it was an improvement over the others. My best detangling mix so far has been Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Mask (-cones, too) + eggs (so viscous, slippery) + coconut oil.

Last edited:
Hey LynnieB, can you give examples? I'm thinking something with a lot of slip?

Mwedzi, my bad, I didn't see that vid with your hair drenching wet. I just went Detangling 2 thinking that was vid 2. *shameface* I'm watching it now.

this is hard and i'm kindof thinking we might ask our relaxed sisters what they're using.......geez! i've got lots of stuff in my cabinets, maybe i can plow through them and see what was the slimiest one. we need something with alot of slip and slide.

i've been watching my use of cones but will (and have) pull something out in heart beat if i have to :perplexed

bbiab

eta: Dove comes to mind and neutrogena. there's more.......

Last edited:
Nonie, first I want to thank you for the
Lynnie, ask away! Please! Actually, I compared 9 products for detangling and the best one was a cone conditioner. It was Herbal Essences Totally Twisted. I mean, it didn't make miracle (otherwise I'd never use anything else), but it was an improvement over the others. My best detangling mix so far has been Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Mask (-cones, too) + eggs (so viscous, slippery) + coconut oil.

yea, i just edited to add the neutrogena. i have that one!

Kiya, I know. :( Do you really like twists, or are they something you've just resigned yourself to?

I'm hoping that as it gets longer, I can control it with fewer and fewer twists, eventually having a single HUGE two strand twist.

So, yeah, the thought of a wash & go, and or a puff - that's something reserved for SPECIAL occasions, because I know I have to be willing to deal with the detangling session afterwards.

I cosign with Nonie. When I do my twists to wash in, I spritz my hair and detangle then.

Then (before I started this no wet and loose thing) I'd wash my hair and take out one twist at a time and comb from tip to root and the plait. I'd do this for every twist and then come out of the shower and leave it in those plaits to dry. The next day I'd style.

When styling if I come across a knot, I'd work on it. I'm not trying to undo every single knot in my hair because that is simply not going to happen. I just get rid of the ones that are in my way for styling.

Hi Mwedzi..I'm natural with very dense 4a/b hair. I have nowhere near your length, but I will say that using JASON sea kelp conditioner on my hair works wonders. Here's my suggestion....

Get in the shower, rinse/wash your scalp. Focus on really getting your scalp clean. To shampoo, put 4-5 drops of shampoo in a spray bottle, and the rest water. Shake it up and pour it over your hair. Then message the dirt away from your scalp. Don't manipulate your hair a lot.

Then in very SMALL sections comb (with a medium tooth comb) through your hair underneath the shower head from tip to root. The pressure from the water will drastically help detangle your hair. Braid each section once it has been detangled.

Once you're done, slather the conditioner onto each braid and go through each section with your denman to make sure you've gotten all the sheds out. Unbraid and rebraid as you go. Start at the tips and work your way up. The denman is very effective, you just have to do it in small sections.

Then sit under the dryer to deep condition and rinse the conditioner out with the braids still in. Leave some traces of the conditioner in your hair. Then let your hair dry and style. I use pure shea butter and seal with Vitamin E as my daily moisturizer. Works like a charm. I hope this can be of some help.

OK just watching the 3rd video. What have you got on your ends when you keep combing through them like that?

Aww watching the 4th one now you look so pi$$ed off. :sad:

I cosign with Nonie. When I do my twists to wash in, I spritz my hair and detangle then.

Then (before I started this no wet and loose thing) I'd wash my hair and take out one twist at a time and comb from tip to root and the plait. I'd do this for every twist and then come out of the shower and leave it in those plaits to dry. The next day I'd style.

When styling if I come across a knot, I'd work on it. I'm not trying to undo every single knot in my hair because that is simply not going to happen. I just get rid of the ones that are in my way for styling.

You did all that in the shower! How long did that take? Okay, so you comb each section twice? When you undo the braids, are they hard and stiff? How do you style your hair then? My hair is unmovable after it dries in braids or twists.

This is just one way I've done my hair. I've also done it by detangling prior to washing. And detangling after both washing and conditioning. Doing it after both washing and conditioning is not as good as the other two, but the other two are roughly comparable. The only really superior part to detangling before washing is that at least I can get the worst part (the detangling) out of the way.

Kiss79, Oh, and I've also done it in the shower, I've tried with the water beating down on my hair. It doesn't help much really. I think it's because the water cannot make my hair straight. I think if the water had the potential to push my hair straight, it might work. but what ends up actually happening is that the water doesn't detangle at all and I end up trying to comb through hair that doesn't have anything slippery on it. Water isn't really as slippery as conditioner.

It's okay, you guys don't have to fix this problem. There is no fix except for my to keep my hair in twists all the time. But at least people can see these videos and know what I'm talking about when I talk about my hair and others who have hair like this don't have to feel so odd-one-out.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for making these videos. Girl, you are NOT alone. My hair is also one big knot. Even after detangling my hair still feel knotted and tangled. This is just the nature of our hair.

I do have to add that I only try to comb my hair drenched with conditioner that been sitting on my hair for at least 30minutes.

Also, I find that when my hair is REALLY knotted I just need to trim a bit. This seems to help a lot.

Again, thanks for representing us cNaps!

I just read a few posts up...

I can never have my hair in a wash and go. Puff? Forget about it. These are recipes for disaster for my hair type. I'm just asking for a bunch of knots.

Thank you so much for making these videos. Girl, you are NOT alone. My hair is also one big knot. Even after detangling my hair still feel knotted and tangled. This is just the nature of our hair.

I do have to add that I only try to comb my hair drenched with conditioner that been sitting on my hair for at least 30minutes.

Also, I find that when my hair is REALLY knotted I just need to trim a bit. This seems to help a lot.

Again, thanks for representing us cNaps!

*said in WestSide voice* CNaaapp! Yeah, I think for our hair twists are the only real option. Well, those and braids but braids take seven million years for me to put in and eight million to take out so I don't really do them.

Oh, I did just trim though. More than I meant to. About 1/2" over most of the hair and 1" off the back. I thought about cutting half my hair off, like I often do, but have to remember that, in fact, I have already done this twice (see the pre-2007 Fotki) and it hardly makes any difference at all because more than the length or something wrong with the ends, it's just the texture and the density.

I guess I better learn to love twists. Maybe I'll invest in a home-hypnotics course. *you love twists, twists are your friends, you look the most beautiful in twists, hours of twisting your hair is fun, you looooove twiiiists . . .* :grin:

You did all that in the shower! How long did that take? Okay, so you comb each section twice? When you undo the braids, are they hard and stiff? How do you style your hair then? My hair is unmovable after it dries in braids or twists.

This is just one way I've done my hair. I've also done it by detangling prior to washing. And detangling after both washing and conditioning. Doing it after both washing and conditioning is not as good as the other two, but the other two are roughly comparable. The only really superior part to detangling before washing is that at least I can get the worst part (the detangling) out of the way.

mwedzi - i cosign w/spritzing while detangling is a good idea too (mix some of your condish w/water). i'm not as kinky as your's but the back of my head is a nightmare to get a comb through if i don't keep it damp. i also have to keep the dense kinks stretched out constantly or there will be a problem.

are you twisting your sections up immediately after your final pass-through with your comb? my mind screamed a big "Nooooooooooo, don't let it go!!" when i saw that one section scrunch back up after you let it go.

eta: Silicone mix (gosh just the name sounds like it's loaded :look:) was the other one i keep hearing folks get excited about.

Last edited:
*said in WestSide voice* CNaaapp! Yeah, I think for our hair twists are the only real option. Well, those and braids but braids take seven million years for me to put in and eight million to take out so I don't really do them.

Oh, I did just trim though. More than I meant to. About 1/2" over most of the hair and 1" off the back. I thought about cutting half my hair off, like I often do, but have to remember that, in fact, I have already done this twice (see the pre-2007 Fotki) and it hardly makes any difference at all because more than the length or something wrong with the ends, it's just the texture and the density.

I guess I better learn to love twists. Maybe I'll invest in a home-hypnotics course. *you love twists, twists are your friends, you look the most beautiful in twists, hours of twisting your hair is fun, you looooove twiiiists . . .* :grin:

I've already come to love twists (I need to start braiding more too). They are my hairs best friend. As my hair gets longer seems like I can do even more with twists. Up do, braided styles, pin ups...And I also rock the twist outs like they were twists themselves.

But it does take me hours to twist my hair. Like a whole weekend. *sigh* I'm going to try washing, detangling my hair myself and paying someone (braiders) to put in twists. I just hate how rough some people are with my hair AND the fact that I have to pay :rolleyes:

Chocolatekiss, you tell it better than I could :notworthy

I see someone mentioned NTM mask :grin: That's just what I have in my hair right now. :grin::grin::grin:

In an effort to help explain what I mean by "drenched in conditioner and water", I undid my braid bangs and didn't even separate hair with fingers as I normally do to rebraid. I wanted to do a demo of detangling with conditioner. So this is just the bangs unbraided:

Picture130-vi.jpg

So I let the shower head wet my bangs completely then applied a lot of NTM Mask and the pic below shows how my hair looks when I'm conditioning. I literally weigh it down with conditioner; notice it even looks white :blush:

Picture131-vi.jpg

I tried to make a vid of how easily it combs when drenched this way, and you will see that when my hair curls back, it really curls back on itself a lot more than yours, Mwedzi. So if anyone should have a hard time detangling, it should be me. I didn't think this vid of me combing it would ever complete it's upload on Youtube--I'm very excited since this is the first time I've been able to make a vid with this lousy cam since the year I first got it (woo hoo!). I apologize in advance on the vid's quality which as you might guess will be as bad as the pics. My cheap ass just isn't ready to upgrade to something better. *shameface*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcoXph8tF4

And after combing it, I braid it as it with conditioner on in its untangled state and let the conditioner do its thing.

Picture170-vi.jpg

I will undo it under running water and comb it as the water stretches it, then braid it back when all the conditioner is out. Next, I dunk it in ACV and may undo and comb under the water and then braid it back up. I then leave well alone till it dries stretched. Then only thing I will use a comb for now is to part my hair. No combing will be necessary as the stretch from the braid makes it easy to separate the hair with fingers.

ETA: BTW, Mwedzi...we use the same pick. :grin:

Last edited:
MWEDZI.

I posted this on youtube, but wanted to add it here too.

In order to save time twisting your hair. DON'T. haha.

I don't twist my hair up when washing because it take soo much time. I usually take rubber bands (ones w/o the metal) and section my hair into about 5 to 6 sections.. I run water all over my hair than I un band one section and add conditioner and than rubber band it back up. This gives the conditioner some time to work on that section. I do this through my head.

I than go back to the first section that I put conditioner in and detangle and rubber band back up and move on to the next. It saves so much time.

All that twisting takesss so much time.

My whole detangling process within the last 2 weeks has decreased drasticly due to the Denman brush. Seriously. I know you said you don't like them, but I must testify about the goodness (thus far) of the Denman brush. lol.

That Jibere shower comb was NOT getting it and neither was the paddle brush (but I did start using it differently and it worked better).

Kiss79, Oh, and I've also done it in the shower, I've tried with the water beating down on my hair. It doesn't help much really. I think it's because the water cannot make my hair straight. I think if the water had the potential to push my hair straight, it might work. but what ends up actually happening is that the water doesn't detangle at all and I end up trying to comb through hair that doesn't have anything slippery on it. Water isn't really as slippery as conditioner.

It's okay, you guys don't have to fix this problem. There is no fix except for my to keep my hair in twists all the time. But at least people can see these videos and know what I'm talking about when I talk about my hair and others who have hair like this don't have to feel so odd-one-out.

Only the 2nd comb through in the shower. The first one is from a spritz bottle I haven't timed it, but my fingers and toes are wrinkly when I come out. :lachen:My plaits used to be stiff but since I started using castor oil on them, they aren't stiff any more. I put some on when I've towel dried the plaits. I'll then style my hair into whatever I feel like doing. Twists or cornrows.

Out styles have never really been that appealing to me if I'm honest. I don't think fros suit me. I do like puffs, but don't like what they do to my edges. When I do wear puffs though, my hair is always plaited down at night.

Nonie yes that's right DRENCHED is a good word! I read what the label says about a dime size and then just completely ignore it! :grin:

Nonie, so you like the NTM hair mask, too. I do like that stuff. Actually, I was the first one in this thread to mention it. I should have gotten more today. And it's on sale, too. A sale ending today. Oh well, I'm not going back out again tonight. I had said that the best detangling mix I had was NTM hair mask + eggs (which are also slippery) + coconut oil. It is the best mix, but the comb does not slide through easily. In any case, though I used 1/2 a container + 2 eggs + oil each time (so my hair was coated), even coming directly out of a protective style (twists), the comb cannot go through "easily". I can't explain why that's the case, I just know that it is.

Editing this out because I definitely don't want to start a who's nappier thing and definitely don't want it to seem like I'm not listening to Nonie's advice. :yep:

I think the bottom line for me is that there is no miracle product that is going to make my hair easy. I just have to keep it in twists all the time. Kinda annoying, cuz they're not even long enough to put in a ponytail or anything, but whatcha gonna do? But I feel better just now that people can see what I'm talking about and now that there's at least one video on YouTube representing my hair type.

Last edited:
I've already come to love twists (I need to start braiding more too). They are my hairs best friend. As my hair gets longer seems like I can do even more with twists. Up do, braided styles, pin ups...And I also rock the twist outs like they were twists themselves.

But it does take me hours to twist my hair. Like a whole weekend. *sigh* I'm going to try washing, detangling my hair myself and paying someone (braiders) to put in twists. I just hate how rough some people are with my hair AND the fact that I have to pay :rolleyes:

I love to wear my hair in twists and braids and actually enjoy doing them. I suffer from major hand in hair disease. If I'm watching TV, my hands are in my hair redoing a braid or twist. So if I have to twist the whole of my head over the weekend, I do it with pleasure. I look forward to when I can do more with my hair in twists and braids w/o extensions. And it's just as well, because that's how I normally wash my hair too: in braids and twists. That example I showed in the vid, I couldn't do every wash day.

Wash day for me is such a breeze: apply shampoo to scalp. Massage to clean. Run shower water through hair to rinse and squeeze length of hair as shampoo runs through. Repeat if necessary but usually because I was every two or 3 days and don't use leave-ins, one shampoo usually suffices. Then I apply conditioner to my braids a few strands at a time starting about an inch above my scalp (in an effort not to apply it to scalp). I put the drenched braids in a plait to keep out of the way so I can focus on the ones I haven't covered yet. Once all are drenched I squeeze them to make sure conditioner soaks right through then wear a plastic cap and DC under a dryer or just wait for a few minutes if not DCing then rinse. Notice, no detangling has been necessary thus far since hair is already detangled in the braids or twists. I rinse for a long time under shower, squeezing the length of the braids either still in plaits or not. Then dunk my head in a basin of ACV solution with essential oils and massage my scalp to my heart's content. I wrap the braid extensions in a towel but leave my non-extension bangs to drip dry so they hand down straight. That's it. Quick and easy.

During the week, I'll redo the braids that need tidying up otherwise if I undid my hair while damp, it'd curl back on itself and probably knot up at the ends.

no maybe there's not a miracle product per se but maybe there's a product that will make your job easier mwedzi. i don't think there is such a thing as a miracle product that works for all purporses, 100% of the time. :nono:

all with love sis, all said in love.

well, i loved watching your video - sometimes nothing can work as well as having visuals. At least since you have them up, the more people who see what's up, the more really good ideas you will get.

Nonie, so you like the NTM hair mask, too. I do like that stuff. Actually, I was the first one in this thread to mention it. I should have gotten more today. And it's on sale, too. A sale ending today. Oh well, I'm not going back out again tonight. I had said that the best detangling mix I had was NTM hair mask + eggs (which are also slippery) + coconut oil. It is the best mix, but the comb does not slide through easily. In any case, though I used 1/2 a container + 2 eggs + oil each time (so my hair was coated), even coming directly out of a protective style (twists), the comb cannot go through "easily". I can't explain why that's the case, I just know that it is.

I've used eggs and oil and I do not like them in my hair. It's like the eggs make my hair stick together. You know what eggs remind me of, leaving Emergencee on your hair till it dries up w/o a shower cap. Also eggs are a protein so I don't think they make hair soft. They give strength like a protein conditioner, I'd guess but not the slip you'd get from a moisturizing conditioner. Also I find more is less. I've tried EVOO in conditioner, but I always return to using just the conditioner itself.

Just a thought, but maybe it's not just a matter of how much hair coils, but the way in which it coils, I think. My hair won't coil back as much as someone with perfect coils, at least I don't think so (maybe I'm wrong on that), but it will tangle at least as much because each strand is like a squiggle that intertwines in a hundred different ways with the strands next to it.

I think a squiggle would be so much easier to detangle and I think in your case it's not putting on enough conditioner in your hair. If I had my hair looking clear like yours does, I'd have the same experience. And I think your hair has the very same texture as mine. In the first vid, I jumped to immediately answer before the video ended because that was MY hair hands down and I immediately saw how I couldn't dare deal with it like that. The way you were having to pull apart the ends and then getting knots is how my hair would behave if I had not had it in braids prior to trying to detangle. Why I say squiggles are easier than pen springs (and you do have pen springs) is because pen springs wrap around each other, then if the fold back, you have to first straighten them then separate them from wrapping around each other. Double work. Squiggles would just wrap around each other but not spring back and fold. Does that make sense?

I think the bottom line for me is that there is no miracle product that is going to make my hair easy. I just have to keep it in twists all the time. Kinda annoying, cuz they're not even long enough to put in a ponytail or anything, but whatcha gonna do? But I feel better just now that people can see what I'm talking about and now that there's at least one video on YouTube representing my hair type.

I disagree Mwedzi that you are doomed. I believe if you wet a section of your hair and apply conditioner as if trying to beat a juice drippin' jheri curl head so that if you squeeze it, it makes a squishing noise and your fingers are covered in conditioner, that a comb will glide through a hundred times as if you had pressed hair. Another thing that will prove to you that you we do have the same texture is to stretch your hair up as you slide comb through. In other words, straighten the pen springs and only let the comb glide through the stretched part of the hair (Again it has to be well drenched in conditioner and water. I think in your vid where your face is drenched you don't have enough conditioner in your hair to give the slip necessary for a comb to glide. Think of making it look like you're shingling). So what I want you to do is pull the hair straight and only then try to comb through. So the comb glides through only stretched hair. (I think you were doing that to an extend, but your comb stopped at the ends. Why? Because the pen springs/coils were not stretched out there. If you can hold just the tips after getting the comb through ones so the entire length is striaght, the comb will glide right through) But you won't have to do all that if you stop being so miserly with your conditioner.

Make another vid with your hair white with conditioner and if you still have a problem combing from base to ends continuously, I'll throw my hands up in surrender and agree with you.

Back