So I put my detangling videos up

Make another vid with your hair white with conditioner and if you still have a problem combing from base to ends continuously, I'll throw my hands up in surrender and agree with you.

Okay, "a hundred times through as if I pressed it"?. You're a bet. The one thing about putting this video up is that everyone will be sure that if I just do X thing it will be better. The thing is, I have tried almost everyone's X thing; I just couldn't do all of them in one video. When I put the mix I mentioned in my hair the last time (last week), when I twisted the hair, the goop dripped down. It was on my face, my robe, my body, the sink, it was everywhere. But I understand that if your hair works like that, you wouldn't be inclined to believe mine was different unless you saw the video. So, I will make one for you.:cool2:

ETA: Hey Nonie, I just made a video for you. So, what do I get if I win this bet, hahaha? It's a private video for you because it's redundant to post on YouTube and misleading because it shows me detangling hair that I just detangled a few hours ago. So I'll PM you a request for your email and send you an invite to watch it.

Yep, Lynnie, all love!

Oh, and following Guapa's suggestion, the part that I detangled again I put castor oil on and braided it up. I generally dislike the feel of castor oil, but I'm willing to try again and see what I get when it dries.

Last edited:
Okay. The one thing about putting this video up is that everyone will be sure that if I just do X thing it will be better. The thing is, I have tried almost everyone's X thing; I just couldn't do all of them in one video. When I put the mix I mentioned in my hair the last time (last week), when I twisted the hair, the goop dripped down. It was on my face, my robe, my body, the sink, it was everywhere. But I understand that if your hair works like that, you wouldn't be inclined to believe mine was different unless you saw the video. So, I will make one for you.:cool2:

Yep, Lynnie, all love!

Sweetie, the dripping on your face tells me that you have more water than you have conditioner so that the mixture is runny. It's not supposed to be runny. Also don't use a mixture of conditioner and egg. Get a conditioner that has slip and use. Sometimes less is more. Everyone raves about Elucence so how about that? Your hair should feel as if you just applied yogurt to it. So while I do say your hair should be soaking wet, after you have conditioner in it should hang so that you could swing it if you moved your head. It should feel creamy and like I said, when you were holding it to comb, your fingers should've been coated with all this white gunk as if you were trying to finish your conditioner. That hair will comb with ease.

I just asked a friend of mine who wears a wash and go daily--meaning she CW every morning then applies products till her hair is soaking wet as if she's going to shingle and combs somewhere during the process and styles then waits for the whiteness to disappear from her W&G puff before leaving the house--to watch your vid and help me help you. She said she couldn't finish watching any of them because it pained her "to see [you] combing [your] hair naked". She kept opening the next vid waiting to see your hair drenched in conditioner but never did. She said she felt you follow bottle directions to a T and that's why you don't have enough slip in your hair coz you don't have sufficient conditioner. She said that the directions aren't for type 4 hair. "We need juice dripping application of conditioner for easy comb-thru."

Sweetie, the dripping on your face tells me that you have more water than you have conditioner so that the mixture is runny. It's not supposed to be runny. Also don't use a mixture of conditioner and egg. Get a conditioner that has slip and use. Sometimes less is more. Everyone raves about Elucence so how about that? Your hair should feel as if you just applied yogurt to it. So while I do say your hair should be soaking wet, after you have conditioner in it should hang so that you could swing it if you moved your head. It should feel creamy and like I said, when you were holding it to comb, your fingers should've been coated with all this white gunk as if you were trying to finish your conditioner. That hair will comb with ease.

At that time, I had only dampened my hair with water, so it shouldn't have been runny from water. But perhaps it was the egg that was causing the problem. The egg mix was just one I stumbled upon and it was better than other stuff so I kept at it. But I'm definitely willing to admit that something else might be better.

I just asked a friend of mine who wears a wash and go daily--meaning she CW every morning then applies products till her hair is soaking wet as if she's going to shingle and combs somewhere during the process and styles then waits for the whiteness to disappear from her W&G puff before leaving the house--to watch your vid and help me help you. She said she couldn't finish watching any of them because it pained her "to see [you] combing [your] hair naked". She kept opening the next vid waiting to see your hair drenched in conditioner but never did. She said she felt you follow bottle directions to a T and that's why you don't have enough slip in your hair coz you don't have sufficient conditioner. She said that the directions aren't for type 4 hair. "We need juice dripping application of conditioner for easy comb-thru."

If you two figure out a way for me to wear a wash and go, I will worship the ground y'all walk on. For real, I will change my screen name to NonieWorshipper and found a new Church of Nonie! I LOVE my wash and go, love love love it. I would totally sacrifice a goat to wear a wash and go daily without it becoming organic locs. :lick: I have not tried Elucence. There are lots of raves on the boards, so it's hard for me to choose one, especially after having been let down on so many other people's raves. I'll look out for it.

Man, I really really want a wash and go to work. I am so tempted to actually try by applying a half a bottle of conditioner to my hair on my loose hair for the next several days. But I'm so afraid of the tangles . . .

Well, Sweetie, first you have to learn to drench your hair with products. My hair was wet with water like yours but the products shut the water up. :lachen:

She wears her wash and go daily because she doesn't wear it for more than a day. Every day she starts the whole process all over again. I think she twists her hair in big chunky twists for the night then in the morning, she's back in the shower to fully CW, then layers products till her hair is white (like my vid) and dangling from the weight of products (the way you'd do it to shingle). I'm not sure at which point she combs through but she doesn't care about shrinkage at all. SCurl Gel or some other heavy gel helps cut down on shrinkage. Her hair is never full dry and you don't want to touch it coz you'll come off with a hand full of product. But that's the only way she can wear a wash and go daily. She repeats the procedure every day. Her hair looks beautiful, but much as I admire her puffs, I couldn't do it. I'm too darn lazy.

She wears her wash and go daily because she doesn't wear it for more than a day. Every day she starts the whole process all over again. I think she twists her hair in big chunky twists for the night then in the morning, she's back in the shower to fully CW, then layers products till her hair is white (like my vid) and dangling from the weight of products (the way you'd do it to shingle). I'm not sure at which point she combs through but she doesn't care about shrinkage at all. SCurl Gel or some other heavy gel helps cut down on shrinkage. Her hair is never full dry and you don't want to touch it coz you'll come off with a hand full of product. But that's the only way she can wear a wash and go daily. She repeats the procedure every day.

How much time does it take her to detangle daily? Is she able to retain length this way?

How much time does it take her to detangle daily? Is she able to retain length this way?

My guess is it doesn't take her long coz if anyone has limited patience, it is she. And yes she is able to retain length. She just doesn't care too much about showing length coz making her coils pop and look healthy is what she's usually after. I can picture how easy her hair would be to deal with coz if I could just leave my hair the way it feels with conditioner all day, I'd have no problem wetting it the next day and then applying as much conditioner and combing through and leaving well alone again all day. I am using conditioner in the example of me doing the same because when she applies products, her hair looks like mine does with conditioner. So imagine wetting that the next day and combing. The water running through will stretch the hair and the stuff on it will provide slip so if you slather more on, then more slip...

well, you've got tons of advice and e-hugs. lemme give u another e-hug and my 2 cents if i may. :yep:

in my fotki i think i have pics of my hair wet etc.

im a 4B

i only de-tangle my hair while coated with tons of conditioner and with the help of water from the shower or faucet (from the tub like Cheleigh does).

i use a denman, a plastic shower comb, i have a metal comb; i used different tools for different stages in the process.

if i am doing a lazy poo day, i take my cornrows out, wet my hair, poo 3x, condition/de-tangle, wrap in t-shirt then re-cornrow my damp hair.

on a non-lazy poo day, i take the rows out, comb & denman the loose hairs out, poo 3x, deep condition, rinse, de-tangle wet w/ elucence, wrap in t-shirt, blow dry hair on low/air, cornrow hair again.

now. with all that said. in one of your videos you said you were using a clarifying conditioner and baking soda. (if this is a repeat sorry i did not read all of the posts) Well, a clarifying product is to get rid of build up and all traces of oils and products. with your (and my) texture, we need our natural oils. only use clarifying products (ACV and other natural stuff included) sparingly and only once a month/2 mos./3 mos. whatever works for you.

i do use shampoo w/ sulfates, but it is a moisturizing poo and i use the same line of products b/c they are designed to work together. i also mitigate the loss of natural oils by adding some during the process and only CO-washing my hair in the warmer months.

so i suggest that you try complementary products from the same line.

to avoid PJ-ism, start cheap - Suave/VO5 or something like that (not too cheap/low end b/c u don't want to sacrifice sub-standard ingredients for cost). Suave and VO5 are cone-free. If you want cones (i don't recommend for naturals but it is not a bad thing) make sure you clarify regularly. I like Neutrogena for that.

I have also found that a silicone serum like John Freida Frizz Ease on wet hair works magic. Try it. (There are other brands too, the name is not so important - they have IC, Shine, oh so many brands). I don't use cones at all.

I always leave some conditioner in my hair as a kind of leave in then seal with coconut (or some kind of) oil.

You may also want to try Jane Carter Solutions Twist and Lock or similar products like Miss Jessies, Kinky-Curly etc.

That is all I can think of at this hour. Good luck, your hair is really pretty and long.

*waves hard @ NONIE* haaaay guuurrrrrrl!

I can only reiterate what Nonie says... Drench your hair with product!

Now for castor oil, don't give up on it easily. I did and it was just finding an amount that worked for me. Because I'm used to using a lot of product I used way too much the first few times. You only need a lil bit.

If you're still having problems in a month or so, I'll make a video of my wash day. It does take long, but it's not as painful.

Jennifer, thanks for the e-hug :) . My guess is that your hair is easy to manage because you keep it cornrowed all the time, which is a smart move. If I could ever get my hair detangled enough to cornrow it and then I kept it like that, it would be easier, too. After the concert tonight, I'm putting my hair back in twists. As for the clarifying, it's the first time I've done it in at least a month. I do use -cone products like NTM.

Guapa, I have tried loaded with conditioner. In fact I made a video for Nonie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPBPqCvWZzA
She's amazing because even after watching that video she still has hope for my hair!

Okay, so I undid the braid I made last night that I detangled and then put castor oil on. It does feel . . . smoother than the surrounding hair. It still makes the rustling sound when I manipulate it. This is what I call dry hair coated with oil. Does your hair make a rustling sound when you touch it?

Nonie is the best! I've join your Nonie church, she is one of the loveliest people on this forum. :heart2:

I love your blinking, it's so cute!

Yes, smaller sections is one thing and I think you should get a comb with wider spaces between the teeth. Remember, it's our hairs nature to curl into each other so don't get frustrated when it does it. I used to get that sound when I used too much protein. Did you use any in your wash? Remember you have to play around with the castor oil amount until you find the amount that suits you.

MWEDZI.

I posted this on youtube, but wanted to add it here too.

In order to save time twisting your hair. DON'T. haha.

I don't twist my hair up when washing because it take soo much time. I usually take rubber bands (ones w/o the metal) and section my hair into about 5 to 6 sections.. I run water all over my hair than I un band one section and add conditioner and than rubber band it back up. This gives the conditioner some time to work on that section. I do this through my head.

I than go back to the first section that I put conditioner in and detangle and rubber band back up and move on to the next. It saves so much time.

All that twisting takesss so much time.

My whole detangling process within the last 2 weeks has decreased drasticly due to the Denman brush. Seriously. I know you said you don't like them, but I must testify about the goodness (thus far) of the Denman brush. lol.

That Jibere shower comb was NOT getting it and neither was the paddle brush (but I did start using it differently and it worked better).

Hey, I think I posted an answer to the suggestion on YouTube about putting the hair in ponytails instead of twists. I think I said that I might go back to this, because I'm not convinced that putting my hair in twists for washing makes that much of a difference.

The Denman. Yes, I know, everyone loves this brush. I'm going to have to make another video of me trying to use this brush. I can only use this brush on hair that has already been detangled with the comb and on very small sections, about the size of 1 twist (I put in 70-80 twists for my regular twists). I used it last week, and my hair isn't any better this week from using it. It is good at getting shed hair out. It is good at getting non-shed hair out. It's generally good at taking hair out. It hurts. Does yours make a scary crackling sound as it goes through your hair?

Okay, so I undid the braid I made last night that I detangled and then put castor oil on. It does feel . . . smoother than the surrounding hair. It still makes the rustling sound when I manipulate it. This is what I call dry hair coated with oil. Does your hair make a rustling sound when you touch it?

My hair doesn't like oils used on it alone--I get that "rustling" sound too. I can really only use oils when mixed with a butter or creamy product. I initially thought my hair hated castor oil because my hair didn't feel good when I used it. Once I started mixing the castor oil with a butter, my hair really liked it.

Great videos! Your hair looks so healthy and it's so thick, not that thin hair is bad, but I loooove thick hair. I have learned to love it though, I have it myself...I wasn't in love in the beginning. :)

Nonie is the best! I've join your Nonie church, she is one of the loveliest people on this forum. :heart2:

I love your blinking, it's so cute!

Yes, smaller sections is one thing and I think you should get a comb with wider spaces between the teeth. Remember, it's our hairs nature to curl into each other so don't get frustrated when it does it. I used to get that sound when I used too much protein. Did you use any in your wash? Remember you have to play around with the castor oil amount until you find the amount that suits you.

I purposely try not to blink too much on videos because I noticed I do it and I think it's a sign of being nervous. Also, I suffer from perpetual dry-eye. I really should get glasses and not wear contacts all the time. But I'm glad someone thinks it's cute! :grin:

Do you mean a comb with more space between the teeth, or a comb with fatter teeth. The space between the teeth of a pick and the space between the teeth of a shower comb is the same.

I did not use protein this wash. I have been using egg for the past 3 weeks. But it made that sound long before the eggs. It's always made that sound. I thought it was normal.:blush:

Last edited:
I love to wear my hair in twists and braids and actually enjoy doing them. I suffer from major hand in hair disease. If I'm watching TV, my hands are in my hair redoing a braid or twist. So if I have to twist the whole of my head over the weekend, I do it with pleasure. I look forward to when I can do more with my hair in twists and braids w/o extensions. And it's just as well, because that's how I normally wash my hair too: in braids and twists. That example I showed in the vid, I couldn't do every wash day.

Wash day for me is such a breeze: apply shampoo to scalp. Massage to clean. Run shower water through hair to rinse and squeeze length of hair as shampoo runs through. Repeat if necessary but usually because I was every two or 3 days and don't use leave-ins, one shampoo usually suffices. Then I apply conditioner to my braids a few strands at a time starting about an inch above my scalp (in an effort not to apply it to scalp). I put the drenched braids in a plait to keep out of the way so I can focus on the ones I haven't covered yet. Once all are drenched I squeeze them to make sure conditioner soaks right through then wear a plastic cap and DC under a dryer or just wait for a few minutes if not DCing then rinse. Notice, no detangling has been necessary thus far since hair is already detangled in the braids or twists. I rinse for a long time under shower, squeezing the length of the braids either still in plaits or not. Then dunk my head in a basin of ACV solution with essential oils and massage my scalp to my heart's content. I wrap the braid extensions in a towel but leave my non-extension bangs to drip dry so they hand down straight. That's it. Quick and easy.

During the week, I'll redo the braids that need tidying up otherwise if I undid my hair while damp, it'd curl back on itself and probably knot up at the ends.

I need to start washing my hair while in twists again. I used to do this more often but I got a really bad case of dry scalp and dandruff this winter and had to take my twists out each time to wash (so the flakes wouldn't get trapped in my hair). I went up to a whole 6 weeks without having to fully detangle my hair because it was twisted up and never got the chance to tangle up on itself.

I also redid the twists after each wash but just like you said, after they were dry.

My hair doesn't like oils used on it alone--I get that "rustling" sound too. I can really only use oils when mixed with a butter or creamy product. I initially thought my hair hated castor oil because my hair didn't feel good when I used it. Once I started mixing the castor oil with a butter, my hair really liked it.

Oh, okay. Maybe I need to mix something like that up that is not water-based.

Great videos! Your hair looks so healthy and it's so thick, not that thin hair is bad, but I loooove thick hair. I have learned to love it though, I have it myself...I wasn't in love in the beginning. :)

I do love how thick hair looks. But the combing. A long time ago I was considering getting my hair thinned out. I don't know exactly how they do it, but someone recommended it to me. But she was over the 'net and I didn't really know what her hair was like and I didn't know about going to a salon (I hate those places; they hurt) and getting it constantly maintained. I'm just not sure how it would look if I had it done because I've never seen pictures of it done on someone with hair like mine. I think they just cut chunks of your hair out. My hair doesn't hang or have any shape other than a round afro, so I don't know what they'd do.

I need to start washing my hair while in twists again. I used to do this more often but I got a really bad case of dry scalp and dandruff this winter and had to take my twists out each time to wash (so the flakes wouldn't get trapped in my hair). I went up to a whole 6 weeks without having to fully detangle my hair because it was twisted up and never got the chance to tangle up on itself.

I also redid the twists after each wash but just like you said, after they were dry.

yes, this totally works. But you redid them after every wash! It takes such a long time! I can extend the time by wearing twists for a week and then washing and wearing the twist out for a week. That twistout is just as good as twists at keeping the hair from tangled, at least mine is, because it's hard and stretched and does not fluff back up again at all. My twist out will hold perfect definition until I wet it. After 2 weeks I have to do the twists again.

Hey, I think I posted an answer to the suggestion on YouTube about putting the hair in ponytails instead of twists. I think I said that I might go back to this, because I'm not convinced that putting my hair in twists for washing makes that much of a difference.

The Denman. Yes, I know, everyone loves this brush. I'm going to have to make another video of me trying to use this brush. I can only use this brush on hair that has already been detangled with the comb and on very small sections, about the size of 1 twist (I put in 70-80 twists for my regular twists). I used it last week, and my hair isn't any better this week from using it. It is good at getting shed hair out. It is good at getting non-shed hair out. It's generally good at taking hair out. It hurts. Does yours make a scary crackling sound as it goes through your hair?

For everyone...I thought MWedzi had me on ignore. :lachen: I PMed like ugghh am I on ignore or am I trippin. She was like (in my words) TML you trippin I just missed your post. My bad. lol

SHe so sweet she posted here and on youtube.

I finger comb and tan use the Denman. And no I don't here a crackling sound. I don't recall hearing it. I do know that the Denman takes out all the loose hair and maybe it does take out a little more. But, I rather do that than allow that hair to stay natted up in my hair causing tons of tangles and tons of nots. Which honestly gets ripped out in some type of detangling of my hands or even my bone comb. So I am trying to prevent this by using Denman.

Now, this review may change, because this is only going on my 3rd week of using the brush. But, I like it a lot thus far.

Last edited:
I finger comb and tan use the Denman. And no I don't here a crackling sound. I don't recall hearing it. I do know that the Denman takes out all the loose hair and maybe it does take out a little more. But, I rather do that than allow that hair to stay natted up in my hair causing tons of tangles and tons of nots. Which honestly gets ripped out in some type of detangling of my hands or even my bone comb. So I am trying to prevent this by using Denman.

That's a good point. Maybe I'll go ahead and use it on tiny sections anyway. I don't know when will be the next time I have the opportunity since I'm putting my hair in twists and wearing those and the twistouts for a while. If I do this, I don't need a brush or a comb. But I can't do it forever because I have to wash loose every now and then to get rid of lint and such. But the next time I do need one, I'll give the Denman one more try on tiny tiny sections.

That's a good point. Maybe I'll go ahead and use it on tiny sections anyway. I don't know when will be the next time I have the opportunity since I'm putting my hair in twists and wearing those and the twistouts for a while. If I do this, I don't need a brush or a comb. But I can't do it forever because I have to wash loose every now and then to get rid of lint and such. But the next time I do need one, I'll give the Denman one more try on tiny tiny sections.

Where does this foolishness come from? I tie my hair up every night. I am doing my hair right now..I washed it last night, but I am going through it now doing flat twist and I find lint attached to the ends of my hair.

Wow! This has become more apparent since my hair is longer and I've actually had to DO IT. Not jsut WnG

Where does this foolishness come from? I tie my hair up every night. I am doing my hair right now..I washed it last night, but I am going through it now doing flat twist and I find lint attached to the ends of my hair.

Wow! This has become more apparent since my hair is longer and I've actually had to DO IT. Not jsut WnG

mine comes from my sweat shirts :perplexed so i'm like ok fine, i won't take off my scarf until after i put my shirt on :nono:, yea right. i think some of my towels are the culprit too.

lint is hard to get out, you see a piece and think you got it out only to find it moved 3 inches down. i also notice my lint like to hide behind my head, i noticed it when i take a fotki picture (blamed it on a dirty mirror at first), there'll be like 4-5 pieces scattered about.

I do love how thick hair looks. But the combing. A long time ago I was considering getting my hair thinned out. I don't know exactly how they do it, but someone recommended it to me. But she was over the 'net and I didn't really know what her hair was like and I didn't know about going to a salon (I hate those places; they hurt) and getting it constantly maintained. I'm just not sure how it would look if I had it done because I've never seen pictures of it done on someone with hair like mine. I think they just cut chunks of your hair out. My hair doesn't hang or have any shape other than a round afro, so I don't know what they'd do.

Don't do it girl. My thought is they would take one of those razor combs or thinning shears through your hair, similar to how some men get their hair cut/maintained. To me, thinning does one of two things...First, it "slices" each strand, like using a potato peeler so that each strand "thins" out, which can and will lead to split ends and splits all the way up the shaft. Second, thinning the density or bulk of the whole head of hair by cutting strands down to the root(like you said, cuts chunks of your hair out) which doesn't sound right either, being that hair WILL eventually grow longer and then it will look like you have an afro at the base of your scalp and longer, thinner strands growing out of it. I know it doesn't make sense, but I can see it in my head :yep:. I had a friend in elementary school, we'll call her "D", a white girl, who I thought had the most gorgeous head of hair. It was fire red(her natural color), it was 3c coily, frizzy and big. We were drawn to each other(I understand it now) as I was the only black girl in the class and she was the only big haired, frizzy, redhead (the redheaded stepchild, if you will, as her sister was a natural, bone straight, blond). She was always teased by the other white girls that had the long, bone straight, blond hair, or permed hair that looked more like waves than curls. My goodness, I can't believe I remember it like it was yesterday, that was almost 20 years ago!

Anyway, I am getting off of the subject...she would straighten her hair w/a curling iron, she would wear it in a braid a lot, she even resorted to IRONING her hair with the iron on the ironing board! When she told me she did that(after I asked her what she did different to her hair), I knew she had a problem with her hair. At that time in my life, Mom kept me in plaits and cornrows so I had no hair issues back then, I was only 10/11 yrs old and wasn't even thinking of getting a relaxer(mainly because me, my cousin, and another little black girl who had a Jherri curl, were the only 3 black girls in the school so there was no peer pressure). I said all that to say, I couldn't understand why "D" never liked her hair, I thought it was gorgeous.

So one day, she told me she was going to get her hair thinned out. I was like, "Huh?" Then she told me they were going to go through hair and thin it out with a razor(like a typical 10 or 11 year would know how to explain such a thing). She came to school the next week or so with this "not so bulky" hair and I could definitely see the difference. She loved it but as the school year passed and we went into the 7th or 8th grade, I noticed her big hair coming back at the roots. She told me the parts that were cut shorter, on the inside, were growing back and she would have to get it thinned again. I lost contact with "D" after junior high, but saw her about 7 or 8 years ago when I went back home to visit. She now sports a long, bone straight(still fire red, go "D"! :)) hairstyle. It looks great but she now has a regular relaxer. We didn't talk about it much because we were discussing kids and marriage. I now know that "D", never got over her curly hair and probably doesn't think much of it now, but the thinning process was a no go for her. It's a quick, temporary fix. Imagine transitioning from a relaxer to natural hair, where the relaxed ends just hang there, lifeless, while the thick newgrowth is coming in full force. That's how her hair looked, thick and bulky at the root, with these, longer, thinner strands growing out of it.

I know this was long but it was on my mind and I just had to tell someone about it. Hubby doesn't understand these things.:)

I purposely try not to blink too much on videos because I noticed I do it and I think it's a sign of being nervous. Also, I suffer from perpetual dry-eye. I really should get glasses and not wear contacts all the time. But I'm glad someone thinks it's cute! :grin:

Do you mean a comb with more space between the teeth, or a comb with fatter teeth. The space between the teeth of a pick and the space between the teeth of a shower comb is the same.

I did not use protein this wash. I have been using egg for the past 3 weeks. But it made that sound long before the eggs. It's always made that sound. I thought it was normal.:blush:

Really? Maybe I mean fatter teeth then. I just went back to the other thread and saw you asked me how much hair do I use when I'm using the denman brush. Let me say first of all I DO NOT use the brush to detangle. That is where I was going wrong. I detangle in the shower. I use the denman to get rid of shed hair.
hair-vi.jpg

This is one of the many ways I stretch my hair after washing. In each section, I used the denman brush about 3 times. So for example, that section in the red band I'll section vertically three times and comb those three bits then put it back up again.

Your hair is so beautiful!!!

Now I understand why my cousin, who has thick 4c hair, gets annoyed when I complain about how l long it takes to detangle my hair in the shower....Off to apologize:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

You just have to find the right products for your hair...DON'T GET IT THINNED... You thickness is awesome:yep:

Okay, Guapa, thanks. Because of you and everyone else in this thread and everyone on NP I'm going to try the Denman again. Tiny sections after I've finger detangled. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Mica, I understand exactly what you mean but the cut out hair growing back and making the roots puffier. That's one of the reasons I don't want to do it. You'd have to keep it maintained all the time and then when you decided you didn't want it anymore and wanted to let it grow out, you'd have to go through that. It's a shame your friend couldn't appreciate her pretty hair. :sad:

Lady, I'm not going to get it thinned. I just thought about it some years ago. btw, I am sooo jealous of your lovely hair.

Don't lose hope Mwedzi. I know it's frustrating to hear everyone tell you that it must be method or product causing the trouble, and that your hair couldn't possibly be your hair.

We just see you struggling with it and want to get in there and help! Forgive us if we seem a little intrusive. Most board members are after one goal: beautiful, manageable hair for everyone. You've got the beautiful, so we wanna help you find your manageable. <shrugs> Sorry :ohwell:.

You know there are some veterans here that can bring something new to the table, though. Try to keep an open mind even though some of us may be re-hashing things you've already heard. You're doing something that works, obviously, your growth is awesome. Good luck and HHG!

Mwedzi!! How you gonna make a thread like this and leave me out of it? I'ma get you, girl!! I thought we was boyz!

So, yes. I enjoyed seeing the videos. And I asked my mom to come and look to see if that's what my hair looked like. She sits down on the chair, I hit 'play' and she immediately yes 'YES'. Like she had to say it fast enough for her to qualify for Jeopardy or something. So I know what you're going through. I too, gave up on the twisting prior to washing. I just rubberband off a couple sections and spray on the shampoo mix I made and get to work. There's baking soda in my mix, but I don't get problems with dryness from using it or anything.

And I don't care as much (anymore) about making sure that EVERY last knot is removed. I thought it was my ends too. I was like 'maybe THIS is scab hair' but looking at your videos (and knowing you've been natural for years) I'm glad that I didn't go chop my hair in half or something to realize I still had the same problem. So no, I don't think that trimming is the solution either.

I can't really notice a difference from clarifying or not. I just like to watch the water as I'm rinsing it out to see how dark it is so I can be like "well DANG, I had a lotta mess in my hair".

I think at least with banding it'd save you some time. It CANNOT take as much time to slap on some bands as to have to separate and twists. I'm subscribing to this here thread though. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness...we are totally hair twins, I think we are the same length too:grin: It made me feel at peace to watch your videos so I know I'm not the only one going through this. I can tell you that the Denman brush was not my friend. I used it a few times after I detangled my hair. It does a great job taking out the shed hairs...and snatching out non shed hair:ohwell: My Denman caused a lot of breakage. I did notice that it made my hair's texture more defined.

I tried sealing my hair with oils and butters and all that other jazz...I just realized a month ago that my hair dislikes oils and butters, unless they are in my dc mixes. Oils and butters made my hair greasy, crunchy and dry. Every time I condition, my hair is slathered in conditioner. Generally, I can comb through my hair in the shower with a big shower comb. However, once I try to plait it to stretch it out, my hair knots right back up:perplexed

I can tell you that my hair loves products with silicones, especially Herbal Essences. I clarify often (probably too often:perplexed) as I do use a lot of product in my hair. Just recently, I've been trying baking soda rinses, check out this thread. This makes my hair much softer, slippier (I know that's not a word), and it even slightly stretches out the hair pattern. I'm not sure if it is permanent, but if you like your texture as is, I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll find a solution pretty soon. As Dinaaike, mentioned, you are doing something right, your hair is long and pretty.

Back