So I put my detangling videos up

Mwedzi....I am soooo happy you put up those videos~

I wanted to CRY b/c it felt like I was watching myself! I honestly have never seen hair just like mine on youtube and it is refreshing to know that I am not the only one!

Your hair is much longer than mine but still...we have the SAME exact texture & density...I get those same stubborn knots at the ends and I spend 4EVER trying to remove one strand at a time to save my hair..or I get so frustrated and end up ripping it out or grabbing those evil scissors!! :nono: And even after "detangling" one section for what seems like eternity, the comb still does not glide through...there is always a struggle!

I think that the issue is a combination of massive amounts of shed hair that will not be easily removed from hair as dense as ours and the ends of our hair loving each other so much, they never want the comb or brush to seperate them ..even for a few seconds!!! :spinning:

Who knows how much shed hair actually still resides in my cloud since I've probably never detangled it thorougly enough out of sheer frustration and tiredness ...

I know there has to be a way that ladies w/ our texture can wear OUT styles and successfuly wash/cond/detangle our napps...I don't want to feel like I have to wear locs or braids or twists all the time in order for my hair to thrive and for my wash sessions to be less tearful!

I appreaciate all the tips and plan to incorporate ones that I have not tried to see if they can help me out as well....

I have been on a no-poo kick for a while since most poos dry out my hair (even the non-sulfate ones I've tried) and as a result I have stayed far away from silicone based products as well...but I might have to change my whole routine if silicone based products are the only things that might make detangling easier...I'd much rather find a more natural route!

I will be experimenting w/ some natural ingredients that are supposed to help w/ providing SLIP to the hair and see where that takes me before changing my no-poo, silicone-free routine...

there just has to be a way, I know there is way...this should not be that difficult!!!! :wallbash: I am not ready to throw in the towel yet!!

Mwedzi, im also a cnapp and ive read everyone's suggestions...although my hair is not as long or thick as urs...i have a question...how long are u leaving the conditioner in b4 u start detangling?????
i agree with Nonie's suggestion of coating ur hair with conditioner until ur hair is white...see my pic http://public.fotki.com/scarcity21-2/1st-quarter-2008-ja/jan--april-2008/1000637.html and http://public.fotki.com/scarcity21-2/2nd-year-natural/3rd-quarter-2007-se/1000426.html

(hey Nonie...she's the bestest!!!)
I bought a tub of queen helene's cholesterol and i only got about 3 uses out of it b4 using up...this tells u how much condish i slather on my hair! i did watch ur videos and i really dont think u have enough conditioner in ur hair.
The trick is mixing condish with honey (gives a lot of slip) or oil and get this ....LEAVING ON UR HAIR FOR AT LEAST 1 HR if not using heat....im too lazy so i dont DC with heat...but this means i leave the conditioner in my hair no less than an 1hr...shoot ive been known to sleep with condish in my hair, which = 8hrs or more. After that , try to detangle with the conditioner still in ur hair...lemme know how that goes!

Last edited:
Jennifer, thanks for the e-hug :) . My guess is that your hair is easy to manage because you keep it cornrowed all the time, which is a smart move. If I could ever get my hair detangled enough to cornrow it and then I kept it like that, it would be easier, too. After the concert tonight, I'm putting my hair back in twists. As for the clarifying, it's the first time I've done it in at least a month. I do use -cone products like NTM.

Guapa, I have tried loaded with conditioner. In fact I made a video for Nonie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPBPqCvWZzA
She's amazing because even after watching that video she still has hope for my hair!

Okay, so I undid the braid I made last night that I detangled and then put castor oil on. It does feel . . . smoother than the surrounding hair. It still makes the rustling sound when I manipulate it. This is what I call dry hair coated with oil. Does your hair make a rustling sound when you touch it?

Nonie is amazing. *waves hard @ Nonie again LOL*

k i got issues w/ my computer cause it won't play ur Nonie video.

okay. u r welcome for the e-hugs ((((((more hugs)))))) and ask Nonie - i don't do hugs LOL.
:bighug:

i don't know if my hair is easy to manage per se. and definately not because it is in corn rows. i am doing them now for the transition because it is just easier to get up and go. in the summer, i'm going to co-wash daily or every other day and air dry. winter i keep it braided and i spray with diluted contitioner/water a few nights during the week. basically, i just take my time with it and since i have been doing my own hair since maybe 10 or 12 years old, i'm used to it.

i don't have a tripod so i can't do my own video on how i de-tangle, but if i can get a friend to help i will do a video.

again, i have not read each and every post in its entirety so if this has been said sorry for the repeat. maybe you can do a pre-poo with hot oil. or a pre-poo with damp hair w/ conditioner and oil. i dunno cause i don't pre-poo.

you can also go to a natural hair care salon (if u r in the dc area we can give u some suggestions). they can de-tangle your hair once and for all, then you keep it that way on your own.

i also de-tangle my hair dry. (i can hear ya'll screaming and see the cringes from here LOL) yes, i said dry. now, by that i mean, when i take my rows/braids out my hair is tangled and there are also shed hairs that i like to get rid of before i get my hair wet. i find that the shed hairs will cause tangles during the wash process. i do not section my hair and poo in sections (i think my fotki has plenty of pics of my braid day process). i denman my hair dry, till there are no tangles. then i shampoo, condition, de-tangle again and blah, blah. i used a wide tooth comb in conjunction with my fingers, then from the ends to the roots, i use smaller and smaller tooth combs till there are no tangles. all of this i do wet. when i'm done, i do a final comb through as i rinse out all the condtioner using the water to help and i do not manipulate after that. i wrap my hair in an old tshirt until it is about 60% dry. some days i use my blow dryer on low/cool to dry more. other times i just cornrow damp hair w/ plenty of leave in and a little gel. right now i have two textures and my hair is about 60/40 relaxed to new growth.

i've read about bone combs. maybe try one of those. i was going to try a k-cutter comb but i'm happy with things as they are.

i can press, flat iron, roller set, cornrow, flat twist, box braid, etc. i'm still learning other styles/techniques. i'm also a perfectionist (& it irritates me when i'm not perfect like my avi i see an uneven part and it is irritating to see it LOL).

if i could, i'd do your hair for you. all i can say is ditto what Nonie said and to repeat what i've said. i maintain that you use tons of conditioner (which is why i recommended the cheapies like VO5 and Suave) and running water (warm, not cold or hot). i swear by elucence (for me) and i use my denman for wet, under water detangling of my ends. my roots i use my fingers and a shower comb.

again, sorry for running on and on, but honestly, if i can help i will.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the videos, I thought I was the only one with hair like this. I washed and detangled saturday, put it in an updo for Saturday, then *tried* to cornrow on Monday. I was only doing 2 cornrows. I parted my hair down the middle (tangle tangle tangle) then tried to work out some shed hair (tangle tangle tangle) then tried to ake it as straight as possible (tangle tangle tangle) it took me over an hour to put 2 big cornrows in because I kept having to stop mid braid to work out a tangle and I could only use one had because the other was holding onto the braid:yawn: I know exactly what you're going through.

That does work for me is using wide spaced combs. I'm not promising a miracle. I'm not promising tangle/knot free hair. But this technique may help you get through wash day a little easier. I propose you use one of these: (5 tooth detangler)
255.jpg

followed by this: (seven tooth detangler)
215.jpg

on each section. That itty bitty metal pic cause me head too much pain.

Lys

So I put up videos of me detangling my hair as I promised in this thread. Now everyone can see my detangling nightmare/technique/shenanigans.

Pre-Wash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN84lSGmCUM

Detangling pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3w7qPl35_k

Detangling pt 2 (cuz my card ran out of memory)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhMWz8gNfzY

Post Wash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te05eIl1DKs

And the thing about it is my hair is still full of knots. I'm trying to part for a few cornrows now and it takes so long to even make a part because it's so full of knots. :wallbash:

thanks for sharing your detangling videos! I will so need this when my hair gets longer.

Oh I should add. I'm going to purchase a steamer in a couple months or so. I'm hoping this will help with moisture and detangling.

Lys

Back