Speaking in Tongues

Lissa0821

MrsHaseeb I have to agree with you that this one of the most misunderstood aspect of the Christian teaching. I honestly believe the enemy is behind of the lot of the confusion concerning the teaching of speaking in tongues because he understands its power.

Sashaa08

Thank you for the tag @Shimmie

I was saved for many, many years before I ever prayed in tongues. I am so glad that other sisters here have had the same experience. I feel there is a misconception that as soon as you accept Christ that you aren't "really saved" unless you immediately fall to the floor and speak in tongues. I was saved as a child and for many years, people who spoke in tongues or if I overheard somebody praying in tongues it actually frightened me because I didn't have any understanding.

Once I began to understand the differences between speaking in tongues vs praying in tongues I told God that I didn't fear praying in tongues and that if there were things that needed to be prayed that I didn't have words for or knowledge of that His Spirit could use me to speak.

I have a prayer language and that is done in my private time with the Lord. I cannot force myself to pray in tongues "on demand." One example is that one time I prayed to God and again let Him know that whenever the Spirit had something to say that my mouth was available. I stayed up and prayed and worshipped for an hour-no praying in tongues. I didn't feel bad, I just assumed that it wasn't needed at that time. The next day, sitting at my desk at work, I unexpectedy began praying in tongues (I was alone in my office). I closed the office door and continued until He was finished. I later got a call that my mother had been rushed to the ER at the time I was praying. I can't force it and can't control it.

I don't speak or prophecy or interpret tongues. Those are not my gifts, but I don't feel bad that I don't have those gifts because I have other gifts. I don't believe one gift is better than another.

It makes me very upset that Christians are made to feel bad or unholy because they don't speak in tongues because not everybody has that gift. I also don't like when people make speaking in tongues a spectacle because that brings glory to the individual, not God.

I believe all Christians can pray in tongues but it doesn't make you "less of a Christian" if you haven't done so. I didn't pray in tongues/prayer language until I was ready.

I really believe the sisters here have really provided ample information supported by scripture to address the OP's concerns and encourage her. I know many have this question (I know I did for several years!!)

MrsHaseeb

MrsHaseeb I have to agree with you that this one of the most misunderstood aspect of the Christian teaching. I honestly believe the enemy is behind of the lot of the confusion concerning the teaching of speaking in tongues because he understands its power.

You are so right. As long as the enemy can keep people from understanding what it is he can keep confusion going and keep us divided. God wants us to be one in Him. The enemy doesnt want people to come into full knowledge of the powerful prayer life we can have. That's why I pray against the hurt and pain caused by foolish people who obviously don't really understand what speaking in tongues is. It has become a show and bunch of tom foolery in many churches and yes the enemy is behind that because it makes people lose faith in how real the experience is. Doesn't mean they aren't saved or aren't believers. I pray that we all come into unity.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Bolded...Amein~

thanks for the tag @Shimmie

I'm also in agreement with you @Miss Kane with your understanding of that particular scripture and @mrshasseb broked it down rather nicely.

like many of you I've also had negative experiences but I didn't allow those experiences to cause me to miss out on anything that God was 'gifting' me and I would encourage everyone to seek the the truth for themselves it's in the word

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
We can both have the Holy Spirit and receive more of Him, or be filled with Him to greater or lesser degrees. I would not allow anyone to rob you of your testimony by saying that you must speak in tongues to "prove" you have the Spirit; but neither would I say that you cannot be washed anew in His Spirit, or immersed in His Spirit in a special way even though He might already indwell you.

I agree with Paul--earnestly desire the best gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. (1 Cor. 14:1). Prophecy is the greater gift. I think (hopefully not too cynically) that so much emphasis is placed on tongues because there's no real accountability as to the veracity of whether someone is speaking by the Spirit or not. But with prophecy, some people give false prophesies and get away with it, but if you prophesy falsely, people will know. So one can always appear very spiritual by praying in tongues (or similar sounding speech), whether the gift is genuine or not. But you can't fake prophesy for long.

Renewed1

MrsHaseeb that right there was funny! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I grew up in that kind of church and I "tarried" for the Holy Ghost for about 3 years and I did not speak in tongues. I really thought something was wrong with me. I had people telling me my dresses needed to be longer, or my heart obviously wasn't right and all kinds of stuff but it only hindered me. I have been to tarrying services with the old mothers spitting in my face telling me I wasn't calling Jesus loud enough or I wasn't opening my mouth wide enough. The Bishop used to preach messages such as you didn't belong to Christ and were going to hell if you didn't speak in tongues. I was a teen at the time so I can tell you that had a negative effect on me for a long time. I understand first hand those who have had bad experiences.

Renewed1

Everyone gave a good explanation of what speaking in tongues is about and their experiences.

I've noticed, IME, that black churches are more for speaking in tongues and tarrying for the Holy Ghost; moreso than learning/understanding ALL of God's gifts. Which I have a hard time understanding why; maybe its a "taught" listen from generation to generation.

MrsHaseeb

What is a "tarrying service?" And why were they allowed to spit in someone's face?

I really got a kick out of this question. To answer: picture sitting in a chair with your eyes closed clapping your hands and saying, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" over and over as fast as you can. All the while, the seasoned women of the church "help" you by standing over you and yelling in your face phrases like call him, say it, mind on Jesus, call him louder. That's where the spitting came in. Lol. Oh and you weren't allowed to swallow your spit in the process. You had to purge the demons out. Lol. That's tarrying for the Holy Ghost. I can assure you that's not what the Bible refers to when it says tarrying but they are convinced.

Last edited:

MrsHaseeb

Everyone gave a good explanation of what speaking in tongues is about and their experiences.

I've noticed, IME, that black churches are more for speaking in tongues and tarrying for the Holy Ghost; moreso than learning/understanding ALL of God's gifts. Which I have a hard time understanding why; maybe its a "taught" listen from generation to generation.

Pure truth spoken here. Pentecostal churches can be the worst because they claim they are the only ones who have it yet they don't fully understand.

brg240

I do not believe that we are without the Holy Spirit if we do not speak tongues. Our God is a triune God, Father/Son/Holy Spirit. So how could we be without the Holy Spirit? Wouldn't that mean we weren't saved? :| I'm going to do some research so I don't misspeak though, so I won't speak much on that. I think you ladies have covered it well.

hey thanks, you made me bust out my dictionary from my theology class. :lol:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I love you Ladies... Look how God has used you so beautifully to bring this full circle. You are amazing.... Each one of you... completely amazing.

Special thanks for not :bricks: me for the many tags. :lol:

I knew you would come in and share the heart of God.... and to those I've failed to mention and tag, forgive me. I've been battling a headache and I been resting since my last post last night.

Thank you all so much for posting. I'll share my experience by the weekend. To be honest, you've said it all. :yep:

Love to all of you. :love3:

SummerSolstice

:giggle:

Nice & Wavy

There are some great posts in this thread about this topic...I don't need to add anything more!

Thanks for the tag, Shimmie!

Shimmie

Staff member
There are some great posts in this thread about this topic...I don't need to add anything more!

Thanks for the tag, Shimmie!

Thanks for coming in. :kiss:

I'm just so blessed that God's peace prevailed. The sisters here are awesome! On point and totally awesome. Each and every one. :love3:

DaiseeDay

I didn't have much to add except that my experience was similar to MrsHaseeb

I was baptized in the spirit before I even started attending a church regularly and really relate to that feeling of being surrounded by God's love - it was awesome :) But that was way before I was able to be physically baptized and when I was I went to one of those churches that thought I had to speak in tongues. I did end up doing it when I was baptized, but I did not do any "tarrying" after that because I never believed it should have been forced. I didn't speak in tongues again until later and when I did I just started doing it in prayer and alone time with the Lord - it kind of just happened.

I do think my baptism experience helped a lot because I never would have been interested in speaking in tongues before and I do think it's an edifying gift so I'm grateful. But telling people they aren't saved because they can't do it is wrong. You are filled with the Holy Spirit if you are saved and there should be other evidence of that, but you're not always or right away going to have any mountain top experience or "feeling". to me it's really important to have faith even without all that. Ask God for the gift of tongues if you want it, I believe He will give it to you eventually, but it's all about His will. Maybe it's not for everyone and def. not everyone gets it when they're saved because Paul said to ask for it and other gifts.

Lita

Shimmie Thanks for the tag, speaking in tongues can be a gift for some,We all have special god given gifts,it's how you use it that matters...

*I have never spoken in tongues before,doesn't mean I'm not spritual or lack understanding of gods words...Some people do believe,if your not jumping,running across the church every Sunday that your not saved..Not true! Playing church & living the word are 2 different things..

Last edited:

CoilyFields

Thanks for the tag Shimmie,

I'm super late but here's my $.02

1. All believers are given the Holy Spirit (indwelling) at the point of salvation (conversion)

2. The Indwelling of the Holy Spirit is different than being filled with the Holy Spirit. The indwelling is what seals us to the day of redemption (the comfortor), the filling is the daily lifestyle of worship, praise, and obedience to God that will produce fruit (this filling can ebb and flow according to the choices of the believer).

3. Speaking in tongues and the gift of tongues are two different things. The gift (is given by the HOly Spirit to whomever he chooses) is the actual speaking of a known tongue for the express purpose of communicating the word of God to a culture who understands that language. It is also the ability to relay a specific message from God to His people for public consumption (This will also be accompanied by an interpretor). Speaking in an unknown tongue (also called your heavenly language) is communication between the saint and God glorifying Him.

4. The Gift of tongues is not given to everyone. Speaking in an unknown tongue (heavenly language) is available to all.

5. Neither one qualifies or disqualifies you from being saved. Nor do they indicate that the possessor is somehow more holy. It can be truly edifying. But there are a lot of PHONIES out there talking bout "HESCOMINGONAHONDA" and "MAMASAYMAMASAAMAMACUSA".

I will try to come back and post the scriptures to go with these!

Shimmie

Staff member
Ladies... do you see how God has brought eveyone on one accord with this topic? I cannot thank God enough for each of you. I know... I said this upwards in this thread, but it truly becoming more evident that we truly are 'ONE' in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Not one response or post has trumped over the other in this thread. Every response flows continuously, intertwining lovingly with each other.

Although each of us, worship in different Churches, Denominations, not one of us disagrees. This is God speaking through each of you. You 'KNOW' Him; by His Spirit, You KNOW Him. This is just beautiful. I know the heart of God is smiling. :yep:

Thank you so much Women of God. Each of you... Women of Virtue. :love3:

Blackpearl1993

What a beautiful thread for a topic that has often been emotionally charged. I am a bibke believing, God fearing woman, who gave her life to the Lord many years ago and I have never spoken in tongues. I remember many, many years ago attending a church that basically asserted that one isn't really saved unless she speaks in tongues and/or has unconfessed sin. For a long time, I felt a lot of shame over that. I remember the elders trying to instruct me in how to speak in tongues much like other posters have mentioned. The experience was awful and I still couldn't speak in tongues. Studying God's word over the years has blessed me with wisdom. I have prayed and asked God to bless me with this gift, but it has not manifested yet. I rest in knowing that everything happens in God's perfect timing and that He knows best.

I am really blessed by reading all of the different responses from you lovely ladies. Keep the wisdom flowing!

disgtgyal

I know this is an old thread pls don't stone stone me for bumping it. I asked in another thread how does one know whether a believer is speaking in a heavenly language as oppose to making up words. I think after reading this thread I have much better understanding of tongue first off I had no idea there were two types... I guess I have the prayer language one but as I said in the other thread I've only prayed in that language in dreams and more times it was kinda like I was confronting or rebuking someone but I never am able to distinguish who or what the other person is (never shared that with anyone other than FH) so my question is why can't I pray that way in my conscious (awake) state. Also my experience with tongues is the "tarry service" had no idea that's what they were called. My experience was us (mostly new converts and those who rededicated their life to Christ such as myself) at the front of the church standing and we were told to shout Jesus so I did and one by one everyone around me broke out in tongues until I was the only one left so all the older women put me to sit and was yelling and me saying say it louder so I said I can't I'm hoarse this one woman said Satan you're a liar I opened my eyes and just looked at her then it went downhill from there they kept yelling and the spitting began and I pushed the chair back and they came closer I said excuse me y'all are spitting on me well let's just say they agreed I have sin in my life that's why I'm not getting it but this one woman came to me after and said I have the gift she hears it in the spirit and I will hear it too when the time is right. Sorry so long...