Speaking in Tongues

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
oh by the way I do believe in tongue speaking ....NOT tongue typing...

Iwanthealthyhair67 - When I typed out the tongue, I was being serious. I wasn't joking like a few others in this thread. I was typing out based on how it sounded to me. And I only did one little phrase. I'm asking a valid question since "speaking in tongues" was not something I grew up with in a church atmosphere.

Alicialynn86 - How come you all do not know what it means or what you all are saying in tongues??? :perplexed And how do you feel about those who "speak in tongues" uncontrollably where it causes distraction from the church worship service? And what's the point of speaking in an unknown tongue if there is no one in the church who speaks in that unknown tongue?

Poohbear

They had did a scientific study on speaking in tongues. Scientists hooked someone to this machine speaking in tongues. They found out that the part of your brain that is active when you are talking, wasn't active. They said they human brain had nothing to do with anything when someone is speaking in tongue.
this is the link www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc

I watched the video and it didn't really prove anything to me about speaking in tongues. The images of the brain looked pretty much the same to me. The frontal lobe activity was still bright yellow on both scans, just a little bit less on the second one. When he "spoke in tongues" his voice was lower and quieter which I believe is why they said it was lower activity in the brain.

Rainbow Dash

@Alicialynn86 - How come you all do not know what it means or what you all are saying in tongues??? :perplexed And how do you feel about those who "speak in tongues" uncontrollably where it causes distraction from the church worship service? And what's the point of speaking in an unknown tongue if there is no one in the church who speaks in that unknown tongue?

@Poohbear

I know this was not directed at me but I will attempt to answer.

How come you all do not know what it means or what you all are saying in tongues???
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. 1 Cor 14

It is the spirit of man (not his mind, will or emotions) praying to God.

For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 1 Cor 14

And how do you feel about those who "speak in tongues" uncontrollably where it causes distraction from the church worship service?
Usually if someone is speaking in tongues with no interpretation and distracting from the service, they are out of order.

For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. 1 Cor 14

And what's the point of speaking in an unknown tongue if there is no one in the church who speaks in that unknown tongue?
If someone is openly speaking in tongues, there should come an interpretation. If not, that person could be out of order. There is a gift of interpretation. It is scriptural.

If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But all things should be done decently and in order. 1 Cor 14:37-40

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, Jude:20

Many times, people get out of order when they do not follow the Word or Spirit of God.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I first spoke in tongues in early '08. I was praying one night and had been wanting to speak in tongues for awhile. I read somewhere that if I started babbling and believed it could happen, the Holy Spirit would take over. A couple seconds into it the Holy Spirit did take over. I was having thoughts completely different than what was coming out of my mouth. The first thought was something like Wow! :lol: I was listening to myself and I was thinking there is no way can doubt God after this! :yep: I could/can stop whenever I want so it's not like I lose control. But it can be overwhelming.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Thanks Health&hair28. I'm thinking of one church in particular that I visited. They sung like 4-5 songs back-to-back with no pause no break, and the majority of the church members started "speaking in tongues" to where it started getting louder and louder. Mixed in with the music, it almost sounded demonic because it kept going on and on with no control for a couple of hours. It was kinda scary and did not seem like the gift of the Holy Spirit in that church.

Poohbear

Question for anyone who speaks in tongues - why does most of the "babbling" sound the same??? I've heard people say the same utterance as someone else either in the same church or a different church.

And how come there aren't many interpreters out there? I never heard of anyone who can actually interpret the tongues. I just always hear of a bunch of people who claim they are speaking in tongues.

DaiseeDay

@Iwanthealthyhair67 - When I typed out the tongue, I was being serious. I wasn't joking like a few others in this thread. I was typing out based on how it sounded to me. And I only did one little phrase. I'm asking a valid question since "speaking in tongues" was not something I grew up with in a church atmosphere.

@Alicialynn86 - How come you all do not know what it means or what you all are saying in tongues??? :perplexed And how do you feel about those who "speak in tongues" uncontrollably where it causes distraction from the church worship service? And what's the point of speaking in an unknown tongue if there is no one in the church who speaks in that unknown tongue?
@Poohbear

Nothing in church is supposed to be in a chaotic manner, and the gift of tongues is to be used in private. The exception is the rare occasion that someone brings a prophetic message in tongues and that needs to be done with only one person speaking and there needs to be an interpreter, otherwise there is no reason for it to be made public. There is also the gift of interpretation of tongues - which we are to ask for as well.

The gift of speaking in tongues in prayer is for our personal spiritual edification and it's the Holy Spirit interceding for us.

Romans 8:28
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words.

Which is why, although it's a good gift to have (they all are) it doesn't help the church as much as others.

1 Corinthians 14:2For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

You should read 1 Corinthians 14

1 Corinthians 14

New Living Translation (NLT) (Emphasis mine)

1 Corinthians 14

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy. 2
For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious. 3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them. 4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church. 5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened.
6 Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful. 7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody. 8 And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?
9 It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.
10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning. 11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me. 12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.
13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said. 14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.
15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit,[d] and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand. 16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don’t understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don’t understand what you are saying? 17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won’t strengthen the people who hear you.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you. 19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.
20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind. 21 It is written in the Scriptures[e]:
“I will speak to my own people
through strange languages
and through the lips of foreigners.
But even then, they will not listen to me,”[f]
says the Lord.
22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers. 23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy. 24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say. 25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”

A Call to Orderly Worship

26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and
another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you. 27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. 28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.
29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said. 30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop. 31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged. 32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.[g]
34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says. 35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.[h]
36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given? 37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself. 38 But if you do not recognize this, you yourself will not be recognized.[i]
39 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But be sure that everything is done properly and in order.

Last edited:
Nothing in church is supposd to be chaotic, and the gift of tongues is to be used in private. The exception is the rare occasion that someone brings a prophetic message in tongues and that needs to be done with only one person speaking and there needs to be an interpreter, otherwise there is no reason for it to be made public. There is also the gift of interpretation of tongues - which we are to ask for as well.

The gift of speaking in tongues in prayer is for our personal spiritual edification and it's the Holy Spirit interceding for us.

Yes. Indeed. :yep: I pray in tongues privately for personal spiritual edification.

ETA: If I'm in church, I'm quiet with it.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Yes. Indeed. :yep: I pray in tongues privately for personal spiritual edification.

Same here.

I didn't even know if people at my new church spoke in tongues until we were all praying privately in a prayer circle and I heard one of the pastors pray something quietly in tongues.

MSee

Me too. It certainly edifies :yep: especially when things get so challenging that I don't know what to pray.

I don't know if others have experienced this but there were times while praying in tongues that although I didn't understand what I was saying, from the sound and the roll of my tongue and the accent I percieved was speaking, for example Spanish, or some kind of language I have heard before.

Iwanthealthyhair67

No offence to you, I was referring to that gibberish Ms. Bynum the II tweeted about...

I place a high regard on the spiritual things of Christ...

@Iwanthealthyhair67 - When I typed out the tongue, I was being serious. I wasn't joking like a few others in this thread. I was typing out based on how it sounded to me. And I only did one little phrase. I'm asking a valid question since "speaking in tongues" was not something I grew up with in a church atmosphere.

Iwanthealthyhair67

There is one thing that I would like to add about speaking in tongues being a 'distraction' to the church service ...

Sometimes the speaker may be so over powered by the presence of the Lord that they don't know that they are being a distraction however, the spirit is still subject to the Prophet the Pastor can then choose to ask the speaker to be silent or he may recognizes that the person who is speaking in tongues has a word for the congregation, the service is quieted and the person speaking in tongues is allowed to continue to speak, after he/she is finished the Pastor, or another member of the congregation, or the person who was speaking in tongues will give interpretation...

blazingthru

A Pastor needed to help a young man who was stranded, but he could not understand the man, so he prayed to be able to understand and communicate with the young man. His prayers were answered, he was able to speak the same language as the man and was able to share his faith, not only helping him but sharing his faith. As a result this man was baptized and he and his family remained faithful. His prayer was to be able to communicate. This is the reason for being able to speak another language so that God can be glorified. so that we are able to communicate with others. Not all Christian have this gift though and that is the misunderstanding. that you won't understand what your saying. Groaning is one thing speaking utterance is another. To me its utterance, because I do not understand. it doesn't mean it just noise, it just means I don't understand but you should. Spanish speaking folks tend to pray from the language which is their first language
the Lord God knows what they are saying. Perhaps they started off speaking english and then switched to spanish. Which is fine praying alone, but if they are praying with someone thats a problem because I know longer know what your saying and I can't be an agreement with you. So it serves no purpose other then to cause confusion. God is not a God of confusion there is a time and place for everything. When I was a child. I didn't like to see people get the "holy spirit" it was confusion and disorganization and I could not accept that one day that would be me. When the pastor spoke in tongues I had the same sense of disorganization, not that I understand a word he was saying besides the "tongues" it was all gibberish to me and I hated it and church all together. When I became older I researched these things. I believe that the best study would be the study on the holy spirit. Just like we should study the Character of God we should study the Character of the Holy Spirit, you'll be surprised at what a gentleman the Holy Spirit is,never forcing you to do anything.

Crown

A Pastor needed to help a young man who was stranded, but he could not understand the man, so he prayed to be able to understand and communicate with the young man. His prayers were answered, he was able to speak the same language as the man and was able to share his faith, not only helping him but sharing his faith. As a result this man was baptized and he and his family remained faithful. His prayer was to be able to communicate. This is the reason for being able to speak another language so that God can be glorified. so that we are able to communicate with others. Not all Christian have this gift though and that is the misunderstanding. that you won't understand what your saying. Groaning is one thing speaking utterance is another. To me its utterance, because I do not understand. it doesn't mean it just noise, it just means I don't understand but you should. Spanish speaking folks tend to pray from the language which is their first language
the Lord God knows what they are saying. Perhaps they started off speaking english and then switched to spanish. Which is fine praying alone, but if they are praying with someone thats a problem because I know longer know what your saying and I can't be an agreement with you. So it serves no purpose other then to cause confusion. God is not a God of confusion there is a time and place for everything. When I was a child. I didn't like to see people get the "holy spirit" it was confusion and disorganization and I could not accept that one day that would be me. When the pastor spoke in tongues I had the same sense of disorganization, not that I understand a word he was saying besides the "tongues" it was all gibberish to me and I hated it and church all together. When I became older I researched these things. I believe that the best study would be the study on the holy spirit. Just like we should study the Character of God we should study the Character of the Holy Spirit, you'll be surprised at what a gentleman the Holy Spirit is,never forcing you to do anything.
I agree with your post, but I don’t understand the 2 characters you are given to the ONE (Deut. 6.4).

@blazingthru,
Do you think that GOD, The Eternal and Holy Spirit, has a character,
And
His Holy Spirit has another character ???

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^ @Crown this is interesting stuff..Holy Spirit being one of the 'us' that God spoke of when he said let us make man in our own image, remember he is both the 'comforter' and the 'teacher' that Jesus spoke..therefore, hemust have character ...I need to study this...

Last edited:

Goombay_Summer

@Crown I think of them as being three separate individuals that comprise the Trinity Father, Son, and Holy Spirit IMHO Benny Hinn did an excellent job of describing the character of the Holy Spirit in his book entitled, "Good Morning Holy Spirit."

Crown

^^ @Crown this is interesting stuff..Holy Spirit being one of the 'us' that God spoke of when he said let us make man in our own image, remember he is both the 'comforter' and the 'teacher' that Jesus spoke..therefore, hemust have character ...I need to study this...
Thank you Iwanthealthyhair and hanna-light (I know this very popular belief),

But I think you are misunderstanding my question.

The Savior, the true vine, said :
I do nothing of myself (Jn.8.28), All come from Abba Father, the husbandman.

I am not talking about whether or not He has a character, but what make her (
blazingthru) or you believes that there is difference of characters.

There is just ONE life.

Last edited:

BrownEyez22

I usually don't post, but I thought I would share.

I've spoken in tongues once, it was quite over whelming for me as I was raised in a church that didn't really discuss "speaking in tongues." I thought of it as a gift certain Christians had (ummm not me) lol, so I was caught off guard.

I started visiting a large church, where it was common during service prayer and a couple of times interpertations were done. I was attending a special service there and I was deeply in prayer, with my hands up and eyes closed, but I was praying aloud and it just happened. I remember there was alot of energy or something around. I can't really describe it.

It has never happened again.

LucieLoo12

The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God or the "nature" of God. It is one character. the Holy Ghost shows you whats in the mind of God and how to be pleasing to God.its the same spirit that was in Jesus Christ and that quickened Him. The bible states that Christ LEARNED obedience through the things he suffered. Jesus had to be taught, and that spirit is what taught him and ushered him in the will of God

Thank you Iwanthealthyhair and hanna-light (I know this very popular belief),

But I think you are misunderstanding my question.

The Savior, the true vine, said : I do nothing of myself (Jn.8.28), All come from Abba Father, the husbandman.

I am not talking about whether or not He has a character, but what make her (blazingthru) or you believes that there is difference of characters.

There is just ONE life.

Crown

The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God or the "nature" of God. It is one character. the Holy Ghost shows you whats in the mind of God and how to be pleasing to God.its the same spirit that was in Jesus Christ and that quickened Him. The bible states that Christ LEARNED obedience through the things he suffered. Jesus had to be taught, and that spirit is what taught him and ushered him in the will of God
Yes, ONE life, ONE character!

I encourage those with a different belief to not stay with what the pastor or their denomination said, but to go further in their study.

I remember a post in this forum where someone was saying that she heard 3 voices in her mind and she can distinguish when it's the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit, like there is not ONE character.

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

It can be a distraction but at the same time if someone is speaking really loud i tongues I dont look down on them for it. Though the bible says everything needs to be done in decent and order but it ALSO says to forbid people to not speak in tongues.But that falls on the pastor he needs to teach order in the House of God. When i first started speaking in tongues, I had no control over,or so i thought :ohwell:.lol. It was something new to me so I would do it anywhere and everywhere LOUDLY.it would scare people to death who wasnt familiar with it :look:. But God had to teach me wisdom with this gift. The more I grew into it, the more control I had over it. the bible says, the spirit is subject to the prophet. We have control over the Holy Spirit. We also have to learn that control as well. Now sometimes when im at church and we praising God and the spirit is high, i let it go...:lol:...i dont care, but its not because I cant control, its because I choose not to at that time.

to answer the next question, we can't understand it because thats the prayer language between the spirit and God, even though its comin through our mouth, its not us praying but the Spirit making intercession for us.. I pray in the spirit alot because the devil dont know what Im saying and I like it that way!:drunk:

the unknown tongues and the gift of tongues is TWO different things!
Unknow tongue is a pray language that prays for ME! its only edifies ME! its searches MY heart...

the gift of tongues is the gift to speak in other languages and edifies others.

Poohbear

the unknown tongues and the gift of tongues is TWO different things!
Unknow tongue is a pray language that prays for ME! its only edifies ME! its searches MY heart...

the gift of tongues is the gift to speak in other languages and edifies others.

Alicialynn86 - where in the bible does it say that speaking unknown tongues is a prayer language?

And shouldn't prayer of that nature be done in private and not during a church service?

At the pentecostal churches I've visited, I've seen a mixture of people praying in an unknown tongue and people speaking in an unknown tongue... not speaking the gift of tongues as noted in the Bible.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

Unfortunately some people FAKE it and just repeat what they hear other people say. I hate that about the church I went to from 14-18. It sounds like:

Sha-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-barra-ro-sah-tah-barack-obama-in-a-honda!
I do beleive some people really speak in tongues but I've never been a witness...

this cracked me up :lachen:

blazingthru

I agree with your post, but I don’t understand the 2 characters you are given to the ONE (Deut. 6.4).

@blazingthru,
Do you think that GOD, The Eternal and Holy Spirit, has a character,
And
His Holy Spirit has another character ???

God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit or one, but with distinct characteristics. As husband and wife or one but are two separate individuals.

I think that this scripture text is taken out of context and over used. We know that God spoke to Jesus through the heavens, upon his baptism, Jesus wasn't speaking to himself he was speaking with God the father. Jesus is God the Son. The holy spirit is the same as God the father and Jesus the Son but yet not. The Holy spirit is our comforter, our guide, He reveals truths to us. He doesn't make you do anything. So when folks are falling all over the place, take a step back thats spirit all right but what spirit? this is not the nature of the holy spirit. Also when I say he reveals truths to you, these are truths that you have studied out already. Everyone says wait for the holy spirit to guide you, thats not how the spirit works he brings to your mind the things you have already learned.
The holy spirit pleads for you. But there will come a time when he will no longer plead for you. He is unique and different from the father and the Son. This as I said before would be a wonderful study.

Melody.Monroe said:
Unfortunately some people FAKE it and just repeat what they hear other people say. I hate that about the church I went to from 14-18. It sounds like:

Sha-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-barra-ro-sah-tah-barack-obama-in-a-honda!
I do beleive some people really speak in tongues but I've never been a witness...

this cracked me up :lachen:

Me too! Why they gotta put Obama in a foreign car? :lol:

Crown

1Jn. 5.7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 5.8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 5.9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

In Heaven : the Father, the Word, the Holy Ghost
[FONT=&quot]In earth : the Spirit, the water, the blood

Tue Father is Spirit. Only ONE character!

[/FONT]

Last edited:

divya

1Jn. 5.7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 5.8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 5.9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

In Heaven : the Father, the Word, the Holy Ghost
[FONT=&quot]In earth : the Spirit, the water, the blood

Tue Father is Spirit. Only ONE character!

[/FONT]

Interesting discussion. I understand these verses to mean that they are 3 distinct beings who are one in purpose. Particularly because it states that the three agree.

Crown

Interesting discussion. I understand these verses to mean that they are 3 distinct beings who are one in purpose. Particularly because it states that the three agree.
By Prayer and study, may the Holy Spirit/Ghost reveal the Eternal Spirit/Father through His Word/Son!

Last edited: