Speaking in Tongues

LucieLoo12

Romans 8
26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered

Intercession is prayer. And it doesnt say in the bible where we should pray..but does say pray without ceasing.. Some people I know that speak in tongues, I dont hardly ever hear them do it at church. Are they wrong? NO. Is the person that speaks in tongues in church wrong? No. Neither are wrong. its a personal preference whether someone speak in church or at home. I do both, but I'm not about to be super loud with it either.If my spirit needs to cry out for me, Im not going to say "No wait until we get home" lol:nono:

1st Cor. 14
2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries..........I'm putting this scripture again because it says the Spirit speaks unto God, anytime there is communication with God, its called prayer. Thats why the tongues is our prayer language because it is praying to God for us.

@Alicialynn86 - where in the bible does it say that speaking unknown tongues is a prayer language?

And shouldn't prayer of that nature be done in private and not during a church service?

At the pentecostal churches I've visited, I've seen a mixture of people praying in an unknown tongue and people speaking in an unknown tongue... not speaking the gift of tongues as noted in the Bible.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Unfortunately some people FAKE it and just repeat what they hear other people say. I hate that about the church I went to from 14-18. It sounds like:

Sha-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-barra-ro-sah-tah-barack-obama-in-a-honda!
I do beleive some people really speak in tongues but I've never been a witness...

Yeah this is true. Which answers why you hear a lot of the people sounding the same Poohbear
I think it's another problem created by doing it in public, it's like people start competing.
I noticed that when I speak in tongues it sounds different than what I usually hear in those churches.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Yeah this is true. Which answers why you hear a lot of the people sounding the same Poohbear
I think it's another problem created by doing it in public, it's like people start competing.
I noticed that when I speak in tongues it sounds different than what I usually hear in those churches.

Me too. That fact made me feel more confident that the gift I received was genuine and not self-manufactured. The tongues that come from my mouth I haven't heard anywhere else, but there's a consistent structure, pattern, and to some extent, vocabulary. It's neither vain repetition nor random sounds. I also didn't grow up in tongues churches, so I never had an idea of how it was "supposed" to sound.

As I see it, Scripture shows two types of tongues phenomena-tongues of men and tongues of angels, as 1 Cor. 13 mentions. At Pentecost in Acts the apostles were heard in the native language of the hearers. They also spoke in "other tongues" The gift of interpretation of tongues was given to the hearer it seems because each heard them speaking in his own language.

But we know that one may also speak with the tongues of angels and that Paul also says that tongues may edify oneself as one is speaking mysteries to God.

I'm sure there are tons of fakers. I used to let my skepticism of that and my fear of losing control stop me from intently asking for the gift. I'm glad I did ultimately receive it, but I see much more clearly now that spiritual gifting does NOT equate with holiness. The Lord spoke through a donkey and it had nothing to do with the donkey's merit!

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

Guitarhero

1st Cor. 14
2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Forgot to add this!

If it's in a church, there is supposed to be an interpretation so it is edifying to the body.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I beleive that the father, son and holy spirit ARE one, however, many times the bible makes reference to father, son and holy spirit separately...I can do the same...

Thank you Iwanthealthyhair and hanna-light (I know this very popular belief),

But I think you are misunderstanding my question.

The Savior, the true vine, said : I do nothing of myself (Jn.8.28), All come from Abba Father, the husbandman.

I am not talking about whether or not He has a character, but what make her (blazingthru) or you believes that there is difference of characters.

There is just ONE life.

Detroit2Dallas

Unfortunately some people FAKE it and just repeat what they hear other people say. I hate that about the church I went to from 14-18. It sounds like:

Sha-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-barra-ro-sah-tah-barack-obama-in-a-honda!
I do beleive some people really speak in tongues but I've never been a witness...

:lachen: why obama gotta be in a honda?? I've heard that tho it was more he-comin-in-a-honda and re-tie-my-bow-tie re-tie-my-bow-tie LAWD! re-tie-my-bow-tie! :lachen::lachen:

OK let me go back to read the rest of the thread

Detroit2Dallas

Thanks @Health&hair28. I'm thinking of one church in particular that I visited. They sung like 4-5 songs back-to-back with no pause no break, and the majority of the church members started "speaking in tongues" to where it started getting louder and louder. Mixed in with the music, it almost sounded demonic because it kept going on and on with no control for a couple of hours. It was kinda scary and did not seem like the gift of the Holy Spirit in that church.

To your experience, Ive been in a church where prayer is taking place (like a shut in or something) and at a certain point the prayer shifts as in one accord and the saints are fiulled with tongues and it wasnt demonic to me at all, it was more of a heavenly sound and the presence of God would be so strong and thick (thats the only way I can describe it) it sounds literally like music to my ears. Ive never spoken in tongues personally but I was raised in a church so its not foriegn and it doesnt alarm me, and its crazy but I can tell when its of the Spirit and when its just a bunch of folks babbling although I admittedly am not an interpreter.

When Im praying and the presence of God is upon me my prayers turn into songs, if that makes sense (now that I think about it it probably doesnt :lol:) and maybe thats why I hear tongues of the saints as music.

ETA this thread is hilarious

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I know what you're talking about.. there's a lady in our church who breaks out in song; it's unlike any singing we hear in these parts..lol. I really don't know how to explain it but that you have to be there to hear her sing! :blush:

When Im praying and the presence of God is upon me my prayers turn into songs, if that makes sense (now that I think about it it probably doesnt :lol:) and maybe thats why I hear tongues of the saints as music.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
To your experience, Ive been in a church where prayer is taking place (like a shut in or something) and at a certain point the prayer shifts as in one accord and the saints are fiulled with tongues and it wasnt demonic to me at all, it was more of a heavenly sound and the presence of God would be so strong and thick (thats the only way I can describe it) it sounds literally like music to my ears. Ive never spoken in tongues personally but I was raised in a church so its not foriegn and it doesnt alarm me, and its crazy but I can tell when its of the Spirit and when its just a bunch of folks babbling although I admittedly am not an interpreter.

You're experience sounds a bit different than the one I mentioned.

However, there was another church I went to where "speaking in tongues" occured, which I think was more similar to your experience. It was a seventh day aventist pentecostal church where they wore head coverings. The bishop did an alter call and everyone in the church went up there except me. :lol: The people kneeled down and started praying "in tongues" but it wasn't all loud and out of control. They weren't up there babbling really loud doing the same babble over and over again. Now during the church service, they did get hype where there was shouting and running and jumping around, but during this alter call prayer time, it was more in order. Then the bishop would come around and speak in English and then say something "in tongues" and put oil on their heads.

See, I grew up in a baptist church so I never seen "speaking in tongues" in church until last year.

Detroit2Dallas

I know what you're talking about.. there's a lady in our church who breaks out in song; it's unlike any singing we hear in these parts..lol. I really don't know how to explain it but that you have to be there to hear her sing! :blush:

I have my theory on it but I dont want to derail the thread.

LucieLoo12

You're experience sounds a bit different than the one I mentioned.

See, I grew up in a baptist church so I never seen "speaking in tongues" in church until last year.

For a while people seen speaking in tongues as something that happen in the "bible days" as some would say. They shunned it and called it demonic, but now since some "Famous" preachers started speaking in tongues, people commercialize it now...which is still sad...they dont realize how precious it is, but they feel like if they go off in tongues, that makes them really anointed, which is a false misconception. What people dont know is you can be "annointed" and still on your way to hell, but thats another thread...

LifeafterLHCF

The whole speaking in tongues is a gift like not everyone has this gift.I had a former mentor who made me feel as though I hadn't fully accepted God bc I didn't speak in tongues.Just bc you can doesn't mean everyone can and it doesn't make you any higher in God's sight.I mean there are so many gifts that we all can't have it.I mean we are in the body and make up different parts.I know there a verse in the bible that says in essence the hand can't be a foot and should be happy being a foot...

Iwanthealthyhair67

I think we focus too much on SELF-control...to be undone in his presence is a wonderful thing...

He doesn't always come all organized and quiet, sometimes he comes in like a mighty rushing wind...

Poohbear

For a while people seen speaking in tongues as something that happen in the "bible days" as some would say. They shunned it and called it demonic, but now since some "Famous" preachers started speaking in tongues, people commercialize it now...which is still sad...they dont realize how precious it is, but they feel like if they go off in tongues, that makes them really anointed, which is a false misconception. What people dont know is you can be "annointed" and still on your way to hell, but thats another thread...

Exactly. See, the experience that I mentioned earlier about it being loud and crazy, it really did sound demonic mixed in with the man banging on the piano. It just didn't seem genuine. Then the prophetess got up there and started speaking in tongues too and then slowly calmed down the church. This church was mainly comprised of younger black people from teenagers to mid-30s which you don't see too often.

Now the other experience I mentioned, it did seem genuine. It didn't sound demonic to me. The only scary part of that service was the bishop jumping around speaking in tongues. This church had a few people around my age but mainly older adults. By the way, this service lasted from 11am to 7pm. I was exhausted but still enjoyed myself.

There's 2-3 other churches I have visited where people spoke in tongues but it was very briefly and not ongoing like the two I mentioned above.

I just wonder why most of the phrases they say sound the same or exactly alike. That's why I think it's more of a learned behavior rather than something from the Holy Spirit. I'm just talking about the "speaking in tongues" I've heard... not all people who speak in tongues because I haven't heard everyone speak in tongues. Maybe if I heard one of you ladies from LHCF speak in tongues, maybe I would have a different opinion. I don't know.

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^wow, service that lasted from 11:00-7:00 ..that happened once at my church, church began at 10:30 and I think we were beginning to leave around 5:30 pm it wasn't planned but we ended up having a deliverance service and my Pastor ministered to everyone individually (we have a small church say 50-60 people) by the time as she ministered to me, I was besides myself she told me to forgive my mom for dying, I was all snotty up and on the floor, I didn't care who saw me...

Poohbear

I think we focus too much on SELF-control...to be undone in his presence is a wonderful thing...

He doesn't always come all organized and quiet, sometimes he comes in like a mighty rushing wind...

But God wants us to have self-control...

1 Corinthians 14:40
Let all things be done decently and in order.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

1 Thessalonians 4:4
That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour

Titus 2:12
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world

2 Peter 5-7
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Poohbear

^^wow, service that lasted from 11:00-7:00 ..that happened once at my church, church began at 10:30 and I think we were beginning to leave around 5:30 pm it wasn't planned but we ended up having a deliverance service and my Pastor ministered to everyone individually (we have a small church say 50-60 people) by the time as she ministered to me, I was besides myself she told me to forgive my mom for dying, I was all snotty up and on the floor, I didn't care who saw me...

I think that's what happened at the church I visited... they called it a breakthrough / delivereance service in the last 4 hours. Even though I stayed seated in the pew, the bishop came back to me and spoke some words and put oil on my forehead too :grin: but it didn't make me get all happy or overjoyed. I didn't even cry or speak in tongues. When he went to each person, he would talk in English and then say something like "Oh-shee-be-de-oh-sigh!" each time he put oil on someone's head. That's why I wonder what does it mean since I hear it said so many times.

Poohbear

@Poohbear

Nothing in church is supposed to be in a chaotic manner, and the gift of tongues is to be used in private. The exception is the rare occasion that someone brings a prophetic message in tongues and that needs to be done with only one person speaking and there needs to be an interpreter, otherwise there is no reason for it to be made public. There is also the gift of interpretation of tongues - which we are to ask for as well.

The gift of speaking in tongues in prayer is for our personal spiritual edification and it's the Holy Spirit interceding for us.

Romans 8:28
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning that cannot be expressed in words.

Which is why, although it's a good gift to have (they all are) it doesn't help the church as much as others.

1 Corinthians 14:2For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

You should read 1 Corinthians 14

1 Corinthians 14

New Living Translation (NLT) (Emphasis mine)

DaiseeDay

I agree that speaking in tongues is for personal edification and should be done in private with God if there is no intepreter.

By the way, I have read 1 Corinthians 14 before and several times over and over. The verses you posted here are quite different than the bible version I use. I use KJV. I've never read from NLT. Here's what KJV says (Check out the verses I bolded):

1 Corinthians 14

1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

38But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

40Let all things be done decently and in order.

This chapter DOES NOT support speaking in tongues in the church like so many of you think.

The only way speaking in tongues can be done in church is if there is just 2-3 people and one of them is an interpreter who can tell the church what that person is saying. If not, these people need to be silent in church.

Nowadays, anyone and everyone thinks they can babble and vocalize unknown utterances thinking they are so filled with the Holy Spirit when they are really fooling themselves.

Last edited:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
My pastor interprets spoken tongues. There are many in our congregation who may pray to themselves in tongues, but only one person who speaks publicly in tongues, and there will be an interpretation to follow.

Paul is instructing them on how to keep order in the exercise of this gift. The fact that they were being disorderly does not mean that the gifts were false--they were simply out of order and needed to exercise their gifts properly. However, I would not judge someone that I simply hear praying in tongues if they are doing it quietly and to themselves like Paul says.

I do agree that there are a lot of counterfeits and a lot of learned patterns. Nevertheless, that ought not take away from our pursuit of God's authentic gifts.

Poohbear

My pastor interprets spoken tongues. There are many in our congregation who may pray to themselves in tongues, but only one person who speaks publicly in tongues, and there will be an interpretation to follow.

Paul is instructing them on how to keep order in the exercise of this gift. The fact that they were being disorderly does not mean that the gifts were false--they were simply out of order and needed to exercise their gifts properly. However, I would not judge someone that I simply hear praying in tongues if they are doing it quietly and to themselves like Paul says.

I do agree that there are a lot of counterfeits and a lot of learned patterns. Nevertheless, that ought not take away from our pursuit of God's authentic gifts.

See, THIS is what I would like to see in a church where speaking in tongues takes place.

nicola.kirwan - What type of church do you attend? And when a person speaks in tongues at your church, does it sound like the common utterances at other churches?

Here are some clips of speaking in tongues... are these genuine or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dG11J40cAA This one is similar (not the same) to the church I visited where it sounded demonic. The church I visited, there were MORE people babbling really loud and carrying on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08OKQJIwYw Two men praying in tongues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkLKJwzRlU A white woman preacher speaking in tongues mixed with English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE1GFsDAG3k&NR=1 Some black dude that says he speaks in tongues, scroll to 1:05

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
See, THIS is what I would like to see in a church where speaking in tongues takes place.

nicola.kirwan - What type of church do you attend? And when a person speaks in tongues at your church, does it sound like the common utterances at other churches?

Here are some clips of speaking in tongues... are these genuine or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dG11J40cAA This one is similar (not the same) to the church I visited where it sounded demonic. The church I visited, there were MORE people babbling really loud and carrying on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08OKQJIwYw Two men praying in tongues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkLKJwzRlU A white woman preacher speaking in tongues mixed with English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE1GFsDAG3k&NR=1 Some black dude that says he speaks in tongues, scroll to 1:05

I don't believe in denominations, but the church I attend is a Church of God congregation. Outside of home groups, I've found it to be the most holistically, spiritually balanced of churches I've attended. Even so, I do think that charismatic churches can tend to have an unwillingness to exercise.discernment. People want so badly to experience something that they resist someone saying that an experience might be false. I've experienced the most authentic worship in just gathering with other believers.

About the clips, I couldn't say whether they were real or not. The Lord might reveal such through the gift of discerning spirits, but otherwise I don't know that there's a way to test someone else's experience. I do think it's odd to record oneself speaking in tongues though. But the last guy made a good point that the Spirit does not force anything to happen. He gives you the ability, but you have to open your mouth and loose your tongue. If we don't choose to give ourselves over to Him, then He won't flow through us.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

DaiseeDay

@Poohbear

I would like to see someone interpret tongues too, as I've never seen it. But honestly most of the churches I see where tongues are spoken during service aren't concerned with interpretation and order.

I'm not really seeing how the NLT version has a different meaning than the KJV. I'm interpreting them the same way after reading both - I'm always cross referencing.

I don't think it's my place to say if others are genuine or not, but I can't stand when people record themselves speaking in tongues whether it's real or not.

Poohbear

@Poohbear

I would like to see someone interpret tongues too, as I've never seen it. But honestly most of the churches I see where tongues are spoken during service aren't concerned with interpretation and order.

I'm not really seeing how the NLT version has a different meaning than the KJV. I'm interpreting them the same way after reading both - I'm always cross referencing.

I don't think it's my place to say if others are genuine or not, but I can't stand when people record themselves speaking in tongues whether it's real or not.
I took a second glance at your other post, and I think I may have gotten confused with your emphasis parts mixed in with the scriptures. ;)

blazingthru

@Poohbear

I would agree with you and I would like to see this as well. Now the service I go to I do hear member speak French and Haitian but only during prayer and for specific reasons. Many of our members speak both languages so they are in agreement with the speaker. I even hear creole sometimes as well, but again the only time I heard this is when Haiti was damaged during the storm a few years ago.