Spin-Off: The Souls of the Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkPebbles

Because Apostolic Tradition makes the Protestant position difficult to hold (if not outright contradicts it). So Martin Luther, John Calvin, etc. had to axe Apostolic Tradition.

I'll give you an example.

John Calvin taught that humanity was totally depraved, which means that we are so corrupt and evil that we do not have the free will to accept the Gospel. Because we are totally depraved and can't accept Christ out of free will (according to Calvin), God has to do it for us through predestination.

According to predestination, you are already predetermined to go to hell, or heaven. That's it. No choice.

Apostolic Tradition and the constant witness of the Church contradicts this, and asserts that Scripture does not support total depravity/predestination, that we DO have free will, and a person goes to heaven or hell based on whether or not they accept Christ.

Apostolic Tradition is the guide and lens through which we must understand Scripture and its truths. I can go back to 1400 AD, 600 AD, 300 AD, 155 AD and see that Bishops (successors of the Apostles) and theologians constantly upheld and defended the fact that we have free will, both as a Scriptural truth and a truth passed down to us by the Apostles.

Does anyone know what denomination falls under John Calvin beliefs?

blazingthru

If I've been rude in anyway, I am very sorry. I know I can get passionate when discussing these things!

I am not offended don't worry, my concern is we as Christian should be learning from one another and that is not the case, I will not fight for the Adventist, although it is a Church that I love and stand by and is my second home, it is just a Church, I give my life for Christ. If I have researched a certain subject and I see where someone is in error then I provide the little information that I know of that particular subject. In this case, I have researched. Hell, Death, Heaven, Sin. Judgement. etc., I was able to do it all scripture by Scripture and so I can see where someone doesn't have the complete knowledge of a certain subject, each person has their own walk with God it is the person that is open that is willing to learn and research that God can use. He can't use someone that is stiff and unbending and no matter what is presented to them is unbulging. Many claim I am that way but I am not. I have researched the state of the dead and cannot be moved on that subject because I have exhausted it in my opinion and see clearly what God has said in his word over and over and over again about it and so in this case, I believe I have provided the true answer as it is laid out in the word of God. It is not my opinion it is what is laid out. I believe we should all strive to grow in christ and build one another up. It is my desire to obtain eternal life and I do so with fear and trembling.
Also there are many denominations that have some truth but not all truth and there in lies the problem the issue is obtaining most if not all truth that leads to salvation.

LucieLoo12

My mom just the left the catholic religion. she researched the beliefs and customs and found them to be false. She use to tell me all the time who they prayed to Mary, St. Michael, St. This and St. That. I told her that was idolatry. We are not supposing to be praying to anyone but God and Jesus. No where in the bible do the apostles or servants of Christ prayed to anyone else. The only people who prayed to other "beings" was heathens and pagan worship. She told me they church was building altars to different saints in the church. I told her the disciples wanted to be build a altar for Moses and Elijah, but it wasnt permitted. I told her dont go to Mary for nothing in prayer, Mary had to get saved and filled with the Holy Ghost like everyone else did. There is no power in Mary. You can only be saved through the name of Jesus Christ.

It's easy to say what sounds right and do what feels right, but what does the bible say about it? Our feelings and emotions can be deceiving to us.Just because we feel something, dont make it right. The bible says every way to a man seems right in his own eyes, but the end of that man is death. We need to get all our information from the bible, and not from the opinions of men.

Not attacking you BroxnJazzy your post just caught my attention,

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

Theres a good read about why catholics pray to the saints if anyone is interested in reading it. Auparavant is right do what feels right to you

LucieLoo12

Ephesians 4

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

If we all serve the same God, where are all these beliefs, customs, laws, traditions etc coming from???? God said he is not the author of confusion.

Are we seeking for the will of God or the will of men?

Ok Im done :look:

auparavant

Sometimes, if people would only put themselves in another's shoes or step back and assume the mind of the other or outsiders, looking in, they might see more clearly where the lack of civility is demonstrated. Anyhoo....

Mark 9: 2-8

2Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, 3and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no one on earth could bleach them. 4And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, who were talking with Jesus. 5Then Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6He did not know what to say, for they were terrified. 7Then a cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud there came a voice, “This is my Son, the Beloved; listen to him!” 8Suddenly when they looked around, they saw no one with them any more, but only Jesus.

Malachi 4:5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes

Luke 1:17

And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous--to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

Now, in Jewish tradition and biblical text, it is supported that Elijah will herald the coming of the Messiah. How would this be so if G-d didn't allow it? I believe that this is also part of the communion of the saints. They are not sitting down, they are actively serving G-d throughout the universe. And if the argument that heaven and earth are divided is made and that once people go to heaven that they are forever in His presence, doesn't G-d also manifest His presence here on earth? The Divine Presence? What about Jesus coming here after the resurrection? How do these play in this doctrine?

auparavant

Does anyone know what denomination falls under John Calvin beliefs?

I believe that most protestant churches are, especially in the United States, as they are greatly influenced by his teachings. But according to what he said about the gospel and our depravity, how is it that we accept G-d and the gospel if we are so depraved (predestination)? Why do we have free will? I know this is off-tangent quite a bit.

Also there are many denominations that have some truth but not all truth and there in lies the problem the issue is obtaining most if not all truth that leads to salvation.

Unfortunately, it is true and this statement sums up the difficulties in this thread. Discord is probably inevitable. It doesn't have to be, though.

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

In the end its all about what you believe in your heart. I think some people get so caught up in what the bible says that they cant see anything else.

For instance how many people think if you dont believe in Jesus you will go to hell. That never made sense to me. Gandhi is going to hell because he's not christian.

I think if you glorify your god and live a life of service to others you will be rewarded in heaven regardless of the traditions and teachings you follow. But I'm so far from a bible thumper its not even funny.

Rainbow Dash

In the end its all about what you believe in your heart. I think some people get so caught up in what the bible says that they cant see anything else.

For instance how many people think if you dont believe in Jesus you will go to hell. That never made sense to me. Gandhi is going to hell because he's not christian.

I think if you glorify your god and live a life of service to others you will be rewarded in heaven regardless of the traditions and teachings you follow. But I'm so far from a bible thumper its not even funny.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (NIV)

Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me. (AMP)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (KJV)

There is a way that seems right to a man but it leads to destruction.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I just have to say this and I know that everyone will cluch their pearls but I dont believe everything in the bible.

The bible was written by man not god. It is interpretted in different ways by every reader pastor etc... Your relationship with god should be more about your walk with him and less about what the bible says. There are some rules and regulations in the bible that don't apply today and there were books in the bible that were left out.

Theres alot that we dont know about that time in history. To me the bible is a history book and a book of conduct not an end all be all answer to everything.

I really hope I dont sound snarky or anything because that wasnt my intention at all. Just giving another point of view.

Rainbow Dash

I just have to say this and I know that everyone will cluch their pearls but I dont believe everything in the bible.

The bible was written by man not god. It is interpretted in different ways by every reader pastor etc... Your relationship with god should be more about your walk with him and less about what the bible says. There are some rules and regulations in the bible that don't apply today and there were books in the bible that were left out.

Theres alot that we dont know about that time in history. To me the bible is a history book and a book of conduct not an end all be all answer to everything.

I really hope I dont sound snarky or anything because that wasnt my intention at all. Just giving another point of view.

No you are not being snarky. I was under the impression that your were a bible believing Christian. The bible is full of life. It is full of His instructions and plans for us.

If you choose to not believe that, then I and not even God can make you.

Have a great day!

VictoriousBrownFlower

No I do believe in the bible but not to the extent that many do. I believe god gives every man spiritual guidence. To help them grow into the person he wants them to be. So he can better use them.

I dont know how much of that process is about the bible. I've read the bible through and through. I believe its an inspiration to me. It shows you how gods majestic beauty can restore all that was once lost. Job is a fave of mine. Its just I know the bible was written by man. There are parts of the bible that were omitted. There are things we still dont know that the bible cant teach us.

In essence its your spiritual walk with god that I think is most important to him. How you inspire others, and bring them to god. Faith in something higher and better than yourself. Knowing that you can go to others wether living or dead to get added support on your journey. Believing in the spiritual you and the good that surrounds you. Angels saints etc...All there to do the will of god.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
At the bolded, I agree wholeheartedly. If it's one that is true...it's that the Holy Spirit - God Himself, would never confuse you, lie to you, hide knowledge from you, give you half a story or try to deceive you. It is not His Nature or His Character... that is why, even without ever opening a Bible, the "most lost souls" can reach Him, through the Holy Spirit. The only divide between God and man is a heart that doesn't want to know Him. Jesus is the only bridge...

Man can lie to us all day long.... it's good to be in a place where you know when you're being lied to. God bless..

No I do believe in the bible but not to the extent that many do. I believe god gives every man spiritual guidence. To help them grow into the person he wants them to be. So he can better use them.

I dont know how much of that process is about the bible. I've read the bible through and through. I believe its an inspiration to me. It shows you how gods majestic beauty can restore all that was once lost. Job is a fave of mine. Its just I know the bible was written by man. There are parts of the bible that were omitted. There are things we still dont know that the bible cant teach us.

In essence its your spiritual walk with god that I think is most important to him. How you inspire others, and bring them to god. Faith in something higher and better than yourself. Knowing that you can go to others wether living or dead to get added support on your journey. Believing in the spiritual you and the good that surrounds you. Angels saints etc...All there to do the will of god.

auparavant

We know that Jesus is the door but when and how everyone encounters Him is not known to us. I know exactly what you mean and it's supported in scripture and taught in our catechism . This is why I wish they would have a catholic sub-forum because there is certainly interest and no shortage of catholic women on LHCF but whenever there is a catholic doctrine given on a subject, the topic itself is not approached and siderailed because the catholic has to "prove" that they are a valid christian religion. This could be avoided in a catholic forum where the subjects can be directly approached. Shrugs...wishful thinking. Wait...I'm going to formally ask yet again.

Last edited:

blazingthru

This is said so often and once upon a time I almost believe this as well, but to me the bible was just too complicated for man to do on their own. The bible is key to knowing God, it is the vessel which the holy spirit uses to guide you to the truth. it is misinterpreted because people do not take the time to research the bible for the answers to the questions. It requires research, which means time spent in reading and with prayer. Yes it was written by Man but they were guided by God it is his words. It was not written by any old man but holy men. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God." 2 Timothy 3:16. "Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21. "The scripture cannot be broken." John 10:35.

Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone." "It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." "It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 4:4, 7, 10. "Thy word is truth." John 17:17. Jesus quoted Scripture when meeting the temptations of Satan. He also stated that the Bible is truth (John 17:17). Jesus often quoted Scripture as authority for the truth He was teaching.

The Bible says, "Thy word is true from the beginning." Psalms 119:160. "The Spirit . . . will guide you into all truth." John 16:13.

Bible predictions of things to happen in the future confirm the inspiration of Scripture as they come to pass. Notice the following examples of fulfilled Bible prophecies:

A. Four world empires to arise: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome (Daniel chapters 2, 7, 8).
B. Cyrus to be the warrior to capture Babylon (Isaiah 45:1-3).
C. After Babylon's destruction, it would never be inhabited again (Isaiah 13:19, 20; Jeremiah 51:37).
D. Egypt would never again have a commanding position among the nations (Ezekiel 29:14, 15; 30:12, 13).
E. Earth-shaking calamities and fear toward the end of time (Luke 21:25, 26).
F. Moral degeneracy and decline of spirituality in the last days (2 Timothy 3:1-5).

this is just some of the important facts about the bible and why its important that we regard it as the highest standard in which we should live our lives.

blazingthru

Bright people who can understand and explain virtually anything are often quickly stopped in their tracks when they read the Bible. The reason is that spiritual things "are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:13, 14. The deep things of the Word will never be understood by a secular mind, no matter how brilliant. Unless one honestly seeks an experience with God, he cannot understand the things of God. The Holy Spirit, who explains the Bible (John 16:13; 14:26), is not understood by the carnal, secular mind. On the other hand, the humble, even uneducated Christian who studies the Bible receives amazing understanding from the Holy Spirit (Matthew 11:25; 1 Corinthians 2:9, 10).

blazingthru

The 66 books of the Bible were written:
1. On three continents.
2. In three languages.
3. By about 40 different people (kings, shepherds, scientists, attorneys, an army general, fishermen, priests, and a physician).
4. Over a period of about 1,500 years.
5. On the most controversial subjects.
6. By people who, in most cases, had never met.
7. By authors whose education and background varied greatly.

Yet, though it seems totally inconceivable,
1. The 66 books maintain harmony with each other.
2. Often new concepts on a subject are expressed, but these concepts do not undermine what other Bible writers say on the same subject.

Talk about astounding!
Ask people who have viewed an identical event to each give a report of what happened. They will differ widely and will virtually always contradict each other in some way. Yet the Bible, penned by 40 writers over a 1,500-year period, reads as if written by one great mind. And, indeed, it was: "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21. The Holy Ghost "moved" them all. He is the real Bible Author. The four Gospels do sometimes differ in the way they report the same event, but they complement each other.

divya

I believe in soul-sleep based on my understanding of the Scriptures.

Are you a Seventh-Day Adventist (who believe everyone who worships on Sunday is sinning and need to worship on Saturdays)?

This is why people should not speak about other people's religious beliefs without being informed. Seventh-Day Adventists do NOT believe that worshiping on Sunday is a sin. We believe in keeping the Sabbath. You can worship any day of the week and should worship every day of the week.

Why would the Holy Spirit lead SDA to worship on Saturday but everyone else on Sunday? .

Since when are SDA the only Sabbath-keepers? There are tons of Sabbatarian Christians.

Okay, so I am non-denominational. I do not subscribe to SDA, John Calvin or John Wesley. I go by God's Word.

And the rest don't? All the above base their beliefs on the Scriptures.

Galadriel

We know that Jesus is the door but when and how everyone encounters Him is not known to us. I know exactly what you mean and it's supported in scripture and taught in our catechism . This is why I wish they would have a catholic sub-forum because there is certainly interest and no shortage of catholic women on LHCF but whenever there is a catholic doctrine given on a subject, the topic itself is not approached and siderailed because the catholic has to "prove" that they are a valid christian religion. This could be avoided in a catholic forum where the subjects can be directly approached. Shrugs...wishful thinking. Wait...I'm going to formally ask yet again.

Now that is an interesting question indeed. "Outside the Church, there is no salvation." What do we mean by this? Dare I start another spin-off? :lol:

Galadriel

This is why people should not speak about other people's religious beliefs without being informed. Seventh-Day Adventists do NOT believe that worshiping on Sunday is a sin. We believe in keeping the Sabbath. You can worship any day of the week and should worship every day of the week.

I used SDA as an example. SDA believe Saturday worship is their Sabbath.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I just took notice of this thread and from what I've read, so far... :nono:

This is all the more reason to not fulfill the requestor's request for a Catholic subforum.

It is an open door for chaios...

divya

This should be been the first thing addressed in my posts. Forgive me...

I dont believe she is saying pray to a saint but that saints pray for you in heaven. In the rosary you ask the mother virgin mary to pray for you. I believe the things shes saying are truth to catholics not christians.[

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I am certain that I will be standing on the sea of glass with Christians who professed Catholicism as well as other beliefs here on earth. God sees the heart of the individual to determine who is truly for or against Him.

We catholics don't advocate for anyone else to do what we do, but these are simply OUR beliefs and we proclaim our beliefs with the Nicene Creed weekly. We are affirming our beliefs. In other words, we are not saying that YOU should be praying to the saints. She's explaining our biblical beliefs of our faith and how we do it. I believe everyone is free to contribute how they interpret life after death on here, if I'm not mistaken. It's not about telling YOU what to do but noting that these are catholic beliefs is going to be a given. Now let me find that prayer to St. Jude. :giggle:

I mean, lighten up, it doesn't have to turn into a "this is the truth" kinda thing every time because every single denomination is going to differ slightly because much of the au-dela is unknown on earth. Feel me? People asked, people said they were not sure, some people explained what they believe according to their faith etc.. Lighten up. But this arguing and charge that it's not biblical is kinda ridiculous. Same could be said back and that's not the purpose of this forum. That's not needed here...people should be open to express themselves without spiritual mandates. If not, please have them open up a catholic and 7th day adventist one where these issues can be openly discussed without having to defend that ....it's a valid christian faith. :look::look:

Is the statement above what mainly triggered the request for a separate forum? People are going to feel how they feel, but I can understand how that comment clearly ostracizes Catholics.

Status
Not open for further replies.