*SPINOFF* ARE YOU GOING TO STAY NATURAL?

Irresistible

LOL@ a spinoff to my own thread

Going natural and actually staying natural=two different things

for you newly naturals or not so new...... either way

Have you made a commitment to stay natural come what may?

or are you just taking it as it comes?

again no right or wrong answer here! just again for curiosity sake

how do you plan to meet your own unique natural hair challenges? do you have a plan of action?

curleeq

I plan to stay natural. This is the happiest and healthiest my hair has ever been. I am not ruled by my hair like I was when I wore a relaxer. Plus my hair is so much more versatile. If want it curly one day and straight the next I can do it. I love my hair so much :grin:

Irresistible

I plan to stay natural. This is the happiest and healthiest my hair has ever been. I am not ruled by my hair like I was when I wore a relaxer. Plus my hair is so much more versatile. If want it curly one day and straight the next I can do it. I love my hair so much :grin:

Its really a wonderful feeling to love your hair!

but me I got a love/hate thing going on, on and off throughout my being natural all this time, at one point I went through such frustration I chopped it mid back.....which really did NOTHING

I'm alot better with the frustration now

I think I got utterly frustrated trying to make some of the 'natural styles' work for me and they just didnt. Now I know better and how to accept what is best for me and MY hair

I think it was being on the hair boards that did that to me mostly

and to boot, the general tone that I was 'less than natural' because I 'tamed' my hair and didnt do those styles much and I pressed

Y'all dont even know (well some do) how bad it was around the internet back then with all that

sometimes being natural is serious work and the styles just aint for the 'grown and sexy'

I think thats what got to me for a while

but now I feel its more about one's perception!

Last edited:

vlucious

you know what they say if you love something let it go (being natural) and if it comes back (it did!!!) then its yours forever.

i will never go back to the creamy crack..

oooop2

how do you plan to meet your own unique natural hair challenges? do you have a plan of action?

Well since I've been natural for over 10yrs, I think it's safe to say that my natural hair is here to stay.

T/O my natural journey, I've only worn 1 style (BC). I absolutely LOVE that style on me and everything was so effortless.

But when we got the word that we were moving to Asia, I decided to embark on a new natural journey and let my hair grow out (it's been 2yrs now). I have to admit that getting used to any type of length on my head since my PERM days has taken a lot of getting used to. With my BC I could wash, rub a towel over my head, slap on some hair grease and go. W/ my new found length, I have to worry about what product is good for my hair. What style would be best for my hair. What technique is best for my hair. The list goes on. So I am confident in stating that although I will remain natural, I HIGHLY doubt, that I will maintain this length for a long period of time. But who knows...LOL

Seraphina

I think I will. While I'm still coming to terms with all the tangles and irritating shrinkage, my hair looked pretty jacked with a relaxer...I always had to blow-dry/flat iron to make it soft and smooth. I figure that if I'd have to use heat to get it straight anyway, might as well save the drama. So, yeah, plan on being natural from now on.
Having said that, being natural has not been all that I thought it would be:ohwell:.

Irresistible

I think I will. While I'm still coming to terms with all the tangles and irritating shrinkage, my hair looked pretty jacked with a relaxer...I always had to blow-dry/flat iron to make it soft and smooth. I figure that if I'd have to use heat to get it straight anyway, might as well save the drama. So, yeah, plan on being natural from now on.
Having said that, being natural has not been all that I thought it would be:ohwell:.

yeah girl thats the whole point to this thread is getting that out there!

its really not always easy! and sometimes we need to possibly prepare for the challenges to keep the commitment

so see its ladies like you that might need support or give the reality checks and support to others

thats the only reason I stayed natural too, my only other choice was jacked up hair! Relaxers just didnt work for me

Irresistible

Well since I've been natural for over 10yrs, I think it's safe to say that my natural hair is here to stay.

T/O my natural journey, I've only worn 1 style (BC). I absolutely LOVE that style on me and everything was so effortless.

But when we got the word that we were moving to Asia, I decided to embark on a new natural journey and let my hair grow out (it's been 2yrs now). I have to admit that getting used to any type of length on my head since my PERM days has taken a lot of getting used to. With my BC I could wash, rub a towel over my head, slap on some hair grease and go. W/ my new found length, I have to worry about what product is good for my hair. What style would be best for my hair. What technique is best for my hair. The list goes on. So I am confident in stating that although I will remain natural, I HIGHLY doubt, that I will maintain this length for a long period of time. But who knows...LOL

yeah with the length comes a whole new set of issues, see its good to get this out so that the new naturals can know whats ahead of them

I totally understand questioning if keeping the length is right for you, as it cant be for everyone, as I get older, I wonder how long I will want to go through what I go through now??

but yeah your natural for good! 10 years you got that badge without a doubt

Irresistible

laughing@ your siggy!

haha

discodumpling

I'm natural for life. When my hair becomes "challenging" I put it away. Right now i'm rocking braids for the next month because as a new natural (only 1 yr) my hair continues to go through changes every 3 or so.
months. I w/o rinse or co-wash daily; that's my plan of action untill it doesn't work for my hair anymore.

For me nothing was more frustrating or challenging than the limp,lifeless mess that passed for my hair for 21+ yrs. My natural hair has surpassed all my expectations; it's simply perfect for me!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Yes, I've been natural for 36 years and a few months out of a total of 37 years, so I think it's safe to say I'll stay the way I am. :grin:

I might cut it off at one point though...not anytime soon, but who knows what happens with age etc. Then I might have some fun, color and flat iron once in a while :D

EMJazzy

Happily retired
The last time I put a relaxer in my hair was in 1996 so it's safe to say that I'll remain natural for the rest of my life. :yep:

cheetarah1980

I've been natural for 3.5 years and I'm pretty much positive that the naps are here to stay. My hair is longer, thicker, and healthier than it ever was when I was relaxed. Plus, I feel as though my hair was meant to be natural. It complements my features well. I'm honestly at the point where I don't even think I look right with straight hair
There have definitely been challenges (dry hair, uneven shrinkage, tangles and knots, hours long detangling sessions), but nothing I've been through with my natural hair has ever made me want to go back to chemicals. Wanting to take a razor to my head? Well that's another story.

ladylibra

:lachen: you are silly girl!

but yes, i plan to stay natural. i am not even that fond of how straight hair looks on me anymore... i mean the HAIR looks nice but i'm so accustomed to big coily hair now. plus i think straight hair makes me look more Native American-ish... and i don't like people doubting my "blackness." :look: and relaxing just left my hair underprocessed, sure i had less shrinkage then but it also made my hair drier.

i am just trying to grow my hair out as long as possible, to see if i can find my terminal length. my plan is, if it ever gets too long to deal with i'll just keep it at a manageable length. so far, nothing has proved too difficult. i just have to tweak my regimen slightly every year to adjust to my hair's needs. :yep:

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I've been natural for 99% of my life. I think when I was 20/21 I tried relaxing for a year and it was awful, so I went back to natural. But I've been thinking about relaxing again once I've reached my final goal, I mean knowing what I know now *shrug* I'm still undecided plus, I have a long way to go, so who knows:spinning:

UmSumayyah

I've been "maybe" transitioning for awhile. :look:I'm not even sure how long, but at least nine months.

It depends, probably, which one is more of a pain-in-the-bum: self-relaxing every 12-14 weeks, or detangling and re-twisting every 3-5 weeks.

ajoyfuljoy

This is a great thread! I always wondered, if I were to chop, then what next? Wuuld i regret it or wish I'd done it sooner? So I like hearing these stories, keep em coming ladies :yep:

1QTPie

Elder Sim

Is there another choice? For me, this is ME, I can't change that.

as what comes? Naps? :lachen:

I will do what I've been doing for the past 5 years or so, I don't and never have had any severe hair issue so I don't even know how to answer this.

[/quote]

Whimsy

I plan on staying natural this time. I can't think of a reason to go back to texlaxing right now....

i plan on just being proactive and patient with my hair.

LunadeMiel

Yes, I plan on staying natural. I have absolutely no reason to go back to relaxing. There isn't anything that I could do to my relaxed hair that I can't do to my natural hair. Also, I HATED getting a relaxer. Only God knows why I did it for 11 years....:nono:

Irresistible

I'm natural for life. When my hair becomes "challenging" I put it away. Right now i'm rocking braids for the next month because as a new natural (only 1 yr) my hair continues to go through changes every 3 or so.
months. I w/o rinse or co-wash daily; that's my plan of action untill it doesn't work for my hair anymore.

For me nothing was more frustrating or challenging than the limp,lifeless mess that passed for my hair for 21+ yrs. My natural hair has surpassed all my expectations; it's simply perfect for me!

Hair breaks are a good way to get through the challenging times!

I agree on the frustration comparison hands down! my hair was jacked for the same amount of time!

Irresistible

Yes, I've been natural for 36 years and a few months out of a total of 37 years, so I think it's safe to say I'll stay the way I am. :grin:

I might cut it off at one point though...not anytime soon, but who knows what happens with age etc. Then I might have some fun, color and flat iron once in a while :D

wow a lifer! I didnt know that girl!

yeah you'll be stayin natural! hehe

its beautiful too!

Irresistible

I've been natural for 3.5 years and I'm pretty much positive that the naps are here to stay. My hair is longer, thicker, and healthier than it ever was when I was relaxed. Plus, I feel as though my hair was meant to be natural. It complements my features well. I'm honestly at the point where I don't even think I look right with straight hair
There have definitely been challenges (dry hair, uneven shrinkage, tangles and knots, hours long detangling sessions), but nothing I've been through with my natural hair has ever made me want to go back to chemicals. Wanting to take a razor to my head? Well that's another story.
and the church said........

LOLOL

U GO GIRL!

but I know that other feeling too! haha

Irresistible

:lachen: you are silly girl!

but yes, i plan to stay natural. i am not even that fond of how straight hair looks on me anymore... i mean the HAIR looks nice but i'm so accustomed to big coily hair now. plus i think straight hair makes me look more Native American-ish... and i don't like people doubting my "blackness." :look: and relaxing just left my hair underprocessed, sure i had less shrinkage then but it also made my hair drier.

i am just trying to grow my hair out as long as possible, to see if i can find my terminal length. my plan is, if it ever gets too long to deal with i'll just keep it at a manageable length. so far, nothing has proved too difficult. i just have to tweak my regimen slightly every year to adjust to my hair's needs. :yep:
Girl I dunno but you crack me up!

you do look native american I MUST SAY! you hair is pretty straight, full and healthy, but your hair is totally awesomely beautiful natural. you cant lose!

well you got lots of growth comin your way, get ready get ready get ready!

ladylibra

Girl I dunno but you crack me up!

you do look native american I MUST SAY! you hair is pretty straight, full and healthy, but your hair is totally awesomely beautiful natural. you cant lose!

well you got lots of growth comin your way, get ready get ready get ready!

yeah i know. :perplexed i mean it's in the family genes but it's not like my momma or grandma was Cherokee. it's waaaaaaaaaay back there. for some reason the "look" popped up on me. my grandpa looks Native American too but he is the color of dark chocolate so no one doubts his ancestry. my SO is 1/4 Navaho with jet black "straight" hair (still afro-textured, but no wave/curl/coil to it) but people say he looks "blacker" than i do. :rolleyes:

it's weird how genes work... :spinning:

Irresistible

yeah i know. :perplexed i mean it's in the family genes but it's not like my momma or grandma was Cherokee. it's waaaaaaaaaay back there. for some reason the "look" popped up on me. my grandpa looks Native American too but he is the color of dark chocolate so no one doubts his ancestry. my SO is 1/4 Navaho with jet black "straight" hair (still afro-textured, but no wave/curl/coil to it) but people say he looks "blacker" than i do. :rolleyes:

it's weird how genes work... :spinning:

YEAH it is! I like your cowgirl indian look! its pretty!

frankie

I'm staying natural!

I thought I'd be a straight styled natural before I chopped...I was wrong. I wore my hair straight for the New Year and again for a wedding in March. It likes being nappy:yep:.

I always felt like my relaxed hair had to be "done," my natural hair likes to "be."

Granted, the story may change when it gets looonger like some of you ladies, but for now, I'm very happy with my hair.