WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO GO NATURAL?

Irresistible

You! Seriously, I had been thinking about it when I joined in 2004 when I saw your album. I was tired of the expense, the smell, the burns (although my "new" stylist was good and I hadn't been burned in about 2 years), etc. associated with relaxing. At the time you and Saddity were the only two type 3 naturals I remember seeing on LHCF, and I thought my hair is like yours. Then the rest as they say is history. My last relaxer was in July 2005.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newtogrow

On my 30th birthday, my hairdresser kept me in the salon waayy too long that I missed my ride to my own B-day-happy hour gathering. I had to drive myself into the city for my B-day. :perplexed

Needless to say, I never went back!!!!! Hence, me being natural!!!!

I did texlax last July 07.

Candycane044

The damage that I experienced (both mentally and physically) having a relaxer is unbelievable. My hair was so destroyed and so thin and lifeless. This wore me down mentally. Finally one day, I decided I had had enough and I was going to be natural. It's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

Zsazsa6275

I had no choice.

When I was in college, I decided I wanted highlights. So, on one of my monthly trips home, I had my beautician do them. When touch-up time came, I sat in her chair waiting for her to apply the relaxer to my new growth. She said, "baby, if we do a touch-up, your hair will fall out". I'm sitting there freaking out, wondering what I'm going to do with my "nappy hair".:rolleyes: Anyway, from that point on I started pressing my hair. She helped me transition during the 2 years it took for my relaxed hair to grow out. We just trimmed it away over time.

It will be 13 years since my last relaxer.

Lucia

I was natural all my life and never had any problems with it until late high school, and was picked at and made fun of b/c of my thick, super curly hair, they would always say things like you would be cute if you got you're hair permed, 1st the girls then some punk *** guys followed suit.(they were all black, non of the white kids ever hassled me)
So I got a relaxer for all the wrong reasons and boy did I pay for it. My hair was healthy very thick but soft, and hairdressers insisted on relaxing it bone straight, it still curled up but it was 1/4 of it's original thickness, I almost always got burned and had sores sometimes. If I ever texturize or relax again it will be because I choose it for me.

I still had to blow dry or flat iron it to get it straight, it still frizzed and got big on humid days, and didn't grow any longer than the length it was. Looking back it really did nothing for me except for a less shrinkage. I workout, swim, run, biking and hiking so I was using heat almost daily to keep that straight look. That's what I have to do now to get a straight look and I spend alot less now. If I hadn't wen through bad haircare, money hungry stylists, etc.. my hair would prob. be WSL+ natural now.

The last straw was that I liked to experiment with color, so I got a lighter base tone and highlights, and that was it, my hair went from below BSL to super short in 6 months. So I went back to natural, started blow drying then braiding to transition then found the boards and the rest is hair-story. :lol:

Last edited:

Tiffanyantt

I've seen pictures of my hair when I was younger and I want that hair back. I've come to a point in my life where I don't give a f... ooops I mean, I don't care what people think about me or my hair. It's all about what I want now!! Too bad LHCF wasn't around when I was growing up. My Mom sure could have used some of these tips.:yep: