*SPINOFF* ARE YOU GOING TO STAY NATURAL?

anon123

yep. i'm not even sure when my last relaxer was. '95? '94? but it's just too permanent for me, even if I did want straight hair. And I decidedly don't want straight hair most of the time. So I'll just keep on keeping on.

Irresistible

yep. i'm not even sure when my last relaxer was. '95? '94? but it's just too permanent for me, even if I did want straight hair. And I decidedly don't want straight hair most of the time. So I'll just keep on keeping on.

thats when my last one was 94!

yay keep on keepin on!

lnana04

People ask me this all the time. Although it can be a pain at times, I definitely plan on staying natural. I love my hair.

d-rock

I have my moments of frustration with my curly 4b hair, but then I flash back to my last trip to a stylist that relaxed my hair and burned the hell out of my scalp, I calm down. lol.. I'll never be a relaxed head again, now texturizing I may consider doing myself. Just enough so it's a little easier to comb.

ladylibra

I have my moments of frustration with my curly 4b hair, but then I flash back to my last trip to a stylist that relaxed my hair and burned the hell out of my scalp, I calm down. lol.. I'll never be a relaxed head again, now texturizing I may consider doing myself. Just enough so it's a little easier to comb.

nice siggy d-rock! :grin:

gradygirl

Yes I am natural for life. I love the fact that I no longer have to worry about touchups since I was the type that could not go long without a touchup without getting breakage. I am so glad to be off the merry-go-round of growing my relaxed hair long only to have to cut it off because of breakage and issues with it being to thin. I love "BIG" hair and I could never accomplish that with relaxed hair. I save tons of money and I feel a sense of freedom with my natural hair. Being natural is not for everyone and I understand that but for me it is what is best for my hair.

Last edited:

ladylibra

I do remember when I was younger and it was natural and long it was a lot of work for my mother to take care of it. A LOT.

My relaxed hair took 4 hours from wash to flat iron because of thick ness. Multiply that by two and half for my natural hair and that was just APL-BSB length. Not the hip length I know I can reach.

I think I can handle my hair...but it's thick in strand AND in density and doesn't break for nuthin'....

your hair sounds A LOT like mine. i am off to look thru your Fotki...

***LOL why am i slow, i've been to your Fotki before. you don't have an avi up and i forgot your face until i peeked in your Fotki. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MzLady78

To be honest, I really don't know.

I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out what works for my hair and it's costing a lot of money and time.

I was previously natural for about 2 years and got a pretty good amount of growth (though I wore braids, wigs and weaves the entire time) so I'd like to, but I can't say for sure. Some days, I really do feel like it was much easier to deal with when I was relaxed.

naturalgurl

I'm staying natural. Relaxers made my hair so hard to grow. It would grow fast as it would shed out which kept me ever so shy of APL. I would get to APL then it would shed away to shoulder in about 8 weeks. Then a bald spot on the side of my crown would appear shortly afterwards. I would slather on that stuff they call "hydrating formula" products with little or no improvement. You can't pay me to go back to that. I'm now APL unstretched and it's getting better. I know, I'm long winded!

Connie

I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out what works for my hair and it's costing a lot of money and time.

I was previously natural for about 2 years and got a pretty good amount of growth (though I wore braids, wigs and weaves the entire time) so I'd like to, but I can't say for sure. Some days, I really do feel like it was much easier to deal with when I was relaxed.

The thing I would miss about being relaxed is spending less time detangling after a wash. The thing I wouldn't miss is hair that so fine and straight that I can't do anything with it until it's overdue for a retouch.

Irresistible

only you can decide whats right for you

but I think it still takes work to maintain relaxed hair, maybe not as much for detangling sessions but to keep it up and healthy

much more complicated than natural hair to me

its like if you slip up on a lil something with your natural hair you dont have to worry so much about it going downhill so easily

Irresistible

I'm staying natural. Relaxers made my hair so hard to grow. It would grow fast as it would shed out which kept me ever so shy of APL. I would get to APL then it would shed away to shoulder in about 8 weeks. Then a bald spot on the side of my crown would appear shortly afterwards. I would slather on that stuff they call "hydrating formula" products with little or no improvement. You can't pay me to go back to that. I'm now APL unstretched and it's getting better. I know, I'm long winded!

nothing I ever did improved my relaxed hair either

NOTHING

Connie

only you can decide whats right for you

but I think it still takes work to maintain relaxed hair, maybe not as much for detangling sessions but to keep it up and healthy

much more complicated than natural hair to me

its like if you slip up on a lil something with your natural hair you dont have to worry so much about it going downhill so easily

Personally, I always felt like I couldn't just use anything on my hair because of the chemical/relaxed factor, despite the fact that there were a lot of times when I threw caution to the wind anyway and hoped for the best. Were it natural, I'd be a lot less concerned.

LadyEuphoria007

As of right now I don't see the need to go back to relaxers. I want length so i'll just be growing it out until it's too much to handle and then I'll cut it to an easier length for me to handle.

So far it only lookes good in a WnG...it's just starting to look cute picked out and pushed back.

I don't plan on turing back b/c right now this is much faster...I had rush out the door with wet hair b/c I'm always late and I still look cute. Now that there is a place to come when I dont know what to do...I"m set!

productjunkie814

Most likely no. Don't get me wrong, I had relaxed hair for 15 years and I loved it...my hair was fairly healthy, I had versatility, and I was blessed to not really have a problem with growing it out. But nothing compares to this mess of coils, kinks, and curls that I have growing on top of my head now, lol! I'm still in a TWA phase (got a little growth obsessed for a hot minute), and I am looking forward to what more length will bring, but I am really concentrating on making sure that my hair is healthy and strong so that when the length comes, nothing can stop me. I've found that the more I leave my hair alone, the better it looks - when it gets longer, tweaks in the regimine are bound to occur. I plan to take it one inch and one day at a time:yawn:

Irresistible

Most likely no. Don't get me wrong, I had relaxed hair for 15 years and I loved it...my hair was fairly healthy, I had versatility, and I was blessed to not really have a problem with growing it out. But nothing compares to this mess of coils, kinks, and curls that I have growing on top of my head now, lol! I'm still in a TWA phase (got a little growth obsessed for a hot minute), and I am looking forward to what more length will bring, but I am really concentrating on making sure that my hair is healthy and strong so that when the length comes, nothing can stop me. I've found that the more I leave my hair alone, the better it looks - when it gets longer, tweaks in the regimine are bound to occur. I plan to take it one inch and one day at a time:yawn:
1 inch and 1 day at time is a perfect plan

AwesomelyNappy

i think i'll stay natural for life...

but who knows what impulse decision i'll make 5, 10, 15 years from now...

but as it stands now, i cant see myself EVER going back. its nothing wrong with relaxed, it just wasn't for me. I feel more versitile now...

Desarae

I'm 22 years old, and I have a lot I want to do with my hair before I die.

1. I want to prove that I can rock my natural 4/b kinkiest of the kinky hair and grow it out for as long as I want it. Probably to SL.

2. I want to prove to myself that I can have long (never passed SL) healthy relaxed hair as well and grow it to MBL. Relaxers weren't my problem, it was the lack of knowlege on how to care for my hair.

3. I want to get my hair highlighted.

4. I want to get a cool cut with bangs and long layers

5. I want to do a long 1+ year transition back to natural (I didn't get to transition this time, I just chopped)

6. I want to rock a blonde TWA

7. I want to try a texlax

7. Then Repeat all steps above in various order.

I guess I'll stay natural when i'm 50 and ride it on out, probably keep it short bc I know I'm too lazy to deal with long hair. Who knows what I might do next...Honestly, it's just hair to me. It grows. As long as it's healthy, I could care less if it's relaxed or natural. I love MY hair. BC it's mine.

spacetygrss

Well, I've been natural for 7 years and I have no intention of ever getting a relaxer, texturizer or any other texture-altering procedure again.

Afro-Indi

:yep:Yes; I am natural for life.

I absolutely LOVE my natural hair.:heart2:
Sometimes after I finish washing my hair, and my hair curls up and does it's own thing, honestly, I find myself thanking God for my hair and for bringing me to this point in my life that I love and accept myself entirely, including accepting what my hair can and cannot do in comparison to looser or tighter textures.

For me, it's been a journey.
As silly as it may sound, I've actually grown with my hair. :rosebud:
I love myself much more now than when I first started to transition.
I wouldn't return to relaxed hair (or this new-fangled textlax:grin:)for the life of me; I wear my hair curly 9.5 times out of 10.
I do plan to straighten once or two times a year just to see length, but other than that, I'm a natural curly girl for life!:yep:

prospurr4

I'm 22 years old, and I have a lot I want to do with my hair before I die.

1. I want to prove that I can rock my natural 4/b kinkiest of the kinky hair and grow it out for as long as I want it. Probably to SL.

2. I want to prove to myself that I can have long (never passed SL) healthy relaxed hair as well and grow it to MBL. Relaxers weren't my problem, it was the lack of knowlege on how to care for my hair.

3. I want to get my hair highlighted.

4. I want to get a cool cut with bangs and long layers

5. I want to do a long 1+ year transition back to natural (I didn't get to transition this time, I just chopped)

6. I want to rock a blonde TWA

7. I want to try a texlax

7. Then Repeat all steps above in various order.

I guess I'll stay natural when i'm 50 and ride it on out, probably keep it short bc I know I'm too lazy to deal with long hair. Who knows what I might do next...Honestly, it's just hair to me. It grows. As long as it's healthy, I could care less if it's relaxed or natural. I love MY hair. BC it's mine.

I like your attitude. I've spent years being natural, then relaxed, and now texlaxed for the last 2 years or so. So far, I'm enjoying the texlaxed "ride" the best. I love that my hair type gives me so many options.

CurliDiva

I finally realized that my hair and chemical just don't play together well. :nono:

I've grown out my natural hair at least twice, only to get chemicals applied and to have it get progressively thinner and broke off!

ALWAYZL8

I'm done with relaxers. It was fun while it lasted, but I feel better about myself as a natural. However, my hair is very short and manageable right now. I hope I will feel this way a year from now.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
When I chopped in 2005 I intended on staying natural for good. Over the last 8 months or so, I've been really fed up, but I've decided perming isn't going to help me in the long term, so yes, I'm staying natural.