*SPINOFF* ARE YOU GOING TO STAY NATURAL?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I love being natural! I can't see myself ever relaxing again but who's to say what the future holds.

Right now I'm a little frustrated though. I think I need to get back into the swing of the super curly wash n' go's. My hip-length hair shrinks to APL:sad::wallbash:.

Irresistible

I love being natural! I can't see myself ever relaxing again but who's to say what the future holds.

Right now I'm a little frustrated though. I think I need to get back into the swing of the super curly wash n' go's. My hip-length hair shrinks to APL:sad::wallbash:.

yeah I Have 200 percent shrinkage!

your curls are so pretty! dont be frustrated!

Irresistible

I'm staying natural!

I thought I'd be a straight styled natural before I chopped...I was wrong. I wore my hair straight for the New Year and again for a wedding in March. It likes being nappy:yep:.

I always felt like my relaxed hair had to be "done," my natural hair likes to "be."

Granted, the story may change when it gets looonger like some of you ladies, but for now, I'm very happy with my hair.

your right about that

the difference between done and be

I mean it still has to be done but it can just be more

I KNOW that made sense somehow to somebody lol

ladylibra

i will smack you, you know i'm APL and my hair shrinks up to above my chin! :whyme:

frankie

your right about that

the difference between done and be

I mean it still has to be done but it can just be more

I KNOW that made sense somehow to somebody lol

:lachen:at the bolded

Yeah it's still "done," just not bolwdried, flatironed and curled done.
Now, as a natural, done/be is a co-wash +afro puff. The 'done' is the hair slicked into the puff and the 'be' is the afro doing what it does inside the puff...lol. It looks good while wearing a freakum-girl dress, a business suit, or sweats:look:.

Southernbella.

LOL@ a spinoff to my own thread

Going natural and actually staying natural=two different things

for you newly naturals or not so new...... either way

Have you made a commitment to stay natural come what may?

or are you just taking it as it comes?

again no right or wrong answer here! just again for curiosity sake

how do you plan to meet your own unique natural hair challenges? do you have a plan of action?

I have made the commitment to stay natural.

For me, I just don't see a point in relaxing. I have access to some great stylists here who can straighten my hair if I want it relaxer straight, or I can straighten it myself if I want it mostly straight.

I love my natural hair, I have lots of styling options, and most importantly, freedom! :lachen:

Also, my daughter is natural, and I want to be a good example for her.

I also have natural goals, just like I did when I was relaxed. I want to reach MBL, or maybe even waist length. I know it can be done, and I WILL attain it.

Finally, I think natural hair looks better on me.

Oh, one more thing...I'm getting older. I can't see my 40 year old self getting touch ups.

My plan of action is to let my hair grow and stay out of its way. I plan to keep it moisturized and healthy, and I know the length will come.:yep:

Irresistible

I have made the commitment to stay natural.

For me, I just don't see a point in relaxing. I have access to some great stylists here who can straighten my hair if I want it relaxer straight, or I can straighten it myself if I want it mostly straight.

I love my natural hair, I have lots of styling options, and most importantly, freedom! :lachen:

Also, my daughter is natural, and I want to be a good example for her.

I also have natural goals, just like I did when I was relaxed. I want to reach MBL, or maybe even waist length. I know it can be done, and I WILL attain it.

Finally, I think natural hair looks better on me.

Oh, one more thing...I'm getting older. I can't see my 40 year old self getting touch ups.

My plan of action is to let my hair grow and stay out of its way. I plan to keep it moisturized and healthy, and I know the length will come.:yep:
I fully agree with you on the age thing, thats where I am at too, and I fully agree on being an example to your daughter! my daughter is now 18 and she had her lil bout with tryin to relax but all that good teachin that was instilled in her brought her back in no time flat!

CenteredGirl

It's natural forever for moi. My scalp just doesn't do relaxers, but even if they could, I have grown to love my coily texture!:yep:

ladylibra

Mine will shrink to just above my shoulders! fully dry no product!

I should do a watch the hair shrink video! lmao

LOL dang you win! :lachen:

i do think it's fun to watch my hair shrink up though... when i'm all done detangling sometimes i will rinse and then open up my shower curtain and watch my hair go from stretched out waves to tight coils as the water runs off of it. why is that still entertaining to me after 3 years? :drunk:

wonderstar

Well my case is different. I never had a relaxer so ever so often I wonder what it would be like to be on the other side:perplexed.

Irresistible

LOL dang you win! :lachen:

i do think it's fun to watch my hair shrink up though... when i'm all done detangling sometimes i will rinse and then open up my shower curtain and watch my hair go from stretched out waves to tight coils as the water runs off of it. why is that still entertaining to me after 3 years? :drunk:

girl I dunno but I find it entertaining too! LOL

Irresistible

Well my case is different. I never had a relaxer so ever so often I wonder what it would be like to be on the other side:perplexed.

oh wow! another lifer!

thats cool!

I could see how you would get curious!

depends on your hair, but I can say your probably not missing anything

JustKiya

:lachen: you are silly girl!

but yes, i plan to stay natural. i am not even that fond of how straight hair looks on me anymore... i mean the HAIR looks nice but i'm so accustomed to big coily hair now. plus i think straight hair makes me look more Native American-ish... and i don't like people doubting my "blackness." :look: and relaxing just left my hair underprocessed, sure i had less shrinkage then but it also made my hair drier.

i am just trying to grow my hair out as long as possible, to see if i can find my terminal length. my plan is, if it ever gets too long to deal with i'll just keep it at a manageable length. so far, nothing has proved too difficult. i just have to tweak my regimen slightly every year to adjust to my hair's needs. :yep:

Precisely, totally, yeah that to the bolded. I've been natural longer/more than I was relaxed (birth til 18 natural, 18-21 relaxed, 21-til forever natural), and I figure, if it ever TRULY gets too mch to handle - I'll just cut it to a length that I can handle. I'm already past the length at which it was previously 'just too much' and with the knowledge and skills I have now - I can't see my hair tossing anything at me that I can't handle.

That's amazing! And fabulous! You've worn straight styles though, haven't you? Have you tried weaves?

tatiana

I believe so. I have not had that much temptation to go back to relaxing plus I know my stylist can give me the relaxed looked via roller set and flat iron.

Off Topic: Thanks for your video. I tried your technique with the exception I used hair mayo than coconut oil. My hair is getting longer and the whole braiding my hair and then un-braiding my hair to detangle was time-consuming and I was getting knots when I un-braided.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I can't say definitely that I will stay natural right now, because every now and again I get antsy and feel like I wanna relax it. I do think though that it will be easier to stay natural if my hair gets long.

:perplexed oh well I really can't say for sure......at least if I do relax again I know how to better care for it.

LongHairDreams

Im staying natural. Great threads are Naturals: WORST mistakes you ever made as a natural? and Do's and dont's of natural hair really are helping.

I love being natural. I have a TA now and I can't wait for it to get bigger!! Styling options are endless, and I don't have to worry about new growth. Since I've joined this site, I've learned SO MUCH. I am committed. I also can say that I am ready for any obsticle that I will come across thanks to the advise from the vet naturals.

ETA: I can't wait for shrinkage...!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have decided to stay natural forever until I die. I don't want to use chemicals on my hair ever again.

My plan of action: to keep doing what I do with my hair which is wearing it in a blowdried fro, or eventually locking my hair in the future.

ladylibra

:lachen::lachen:

Don't hurt me LL:lachen:.

Have you tried a Wash N' Go with sabino? I'm wondering if it helps with shrinkage.

yep, and it has a little bit. :yep:

i'm going to braid my hair up tonite though and see how well my braid-out looks tomorrow with MB, since braidouts mimick my texture but makes my hair look it look "longer" than my WnG. i'm sure it will hold up since my straightened hair did pretty well.

wonderstar

That's amazing! And fabulous! You've worn straight styles though, haven't you? Have you tried weaves?

Yes I've worn straight styles in the past due to hard presses at the salon. I turned some heads too with my swangin hair:grin: but I didn't know better, hair did not revert after a while and broke off:nono:.

Never wore weaves, just braids and a curly wig that I only wore once.

Crown

Have you made a commitment to stay natural come what may?
I will stay natural! I HATE relaxers (chemicals), permanent change of my texture, dealing with newgrowth, big shop. I have sensitive scalp and fine hair.

how do you plan to meet your own unique natural hair challenges? do you have a plan of action?
Take care of it, let it be and let it grow!

Irresistible

I believe so. I have not had that much temptation to go back to relaxing plus I know my stylist can give me the relaxed looked via roller set and flat iron.

Off Topic: Thanks for your video. I tried your technique with the exception I used hair mayo than coconut oil. My hair is getting longer and the whole braiding my hair and then un-braiding my hair to detangle was time-consuming and I was getting knots when I un-braided.
Oh its so good to hear them crazy videos helped somebody!

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
yep, and it has a little bit. :yep:

i'm going to braid my hair up tonite though and see how well my braid-out looks tomorrow with MB, since braidouts mimick my texture but makes my hair look it look "longer" than my WnG. i'm sure it will hold up since my straightened hair did pretty well.
Let us know how it comes out. I'm thinking it will be good for braid/twist-outs.

I've got samples coming:drunk:!

MonPetite

Considering my relaxed and texlaxed hair looked great....

Sometimes I want to recapture the past I suppose, but when I think of all the work my relaxed hair was and how horribly I ALWAYS burned....

I know that I will never relax or texlax again.

Maybe I'll fiddle with texturizing and even then only the last third of my hair. So maybe only enough to knock out frizz to an unnatural degree but not enough to turn my 4a hair to 3c or my 3c to 3b. I like my hair type.

I do remember when I was younger and it was natural and long it was a lot of work for my mother to take care of it. A LOT.

My relaxed hair took 4 hours from wash to flat iron because of thick ness. Multiply that by two and half for my natural hair and that was just APL-BSB length. Not the hip length I know I can reach.

So...staying natural....Probably. It's so much better. All I miss is my length from when I BCed because I'm one of those people who changes their hairstyle EVERYDAY.

I think I can handle my hair...but it's thick in strand AND in density and doesn't break for nuthin'....So a part of me knows I may get to a length one day where I may need to straighten (but I don't like myself with straight hair) with heat or texturize to continue enjoying it (rather than being burdened by it) but avoid relaxing or texlaxing again.

A texlax makes me 2a-3b. To "texturize" to me means taking out frizz but not changing your hair type so to speak. I hope that makes this post clearer. As in, you start a frizz prone 4a and end a slightly sleeker 4a.

jshor09

Yea i will once i get there. im thinking im going to transition for 6months to a yr and then chop it off.