Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Lucia

do you ladies do anything particular to help sensitive areas like the nape?

(i've read where some braid it separately and keep it like that.)

also, has excessive bunning ever caused thinning areas to occur?

if so, how do you protective style without having the "weight" of your hair cause pulling or tension to sensitive areas which can then, end up with thinning and damage?

Well, I don't wear my hair in styles that put too much tension or stress on the nape, I keep it well moisturized and protected at night just like I treat the rest of my hair.
I don't think bunning too much is the culprit for thinning, I think really tight buns can cause that, I keep my buns or PS loose to snug never super tight, I use no damage stretchy headbands, conditioner, gel, or oils to tame fly-aways.

How often do you wear your hair down and how often do you use direct heat?

I haven't used direct heat on my hair most of this summer maybe once or twice. But if I'm in a heat styling mood I'll use it once every 2 weeks on average sometimes less it really depends what I'm doing that week and how the style is holding up and how cold it is outside.

luckiestdestiny

Well, I don't wear my hair in styles that put too much tension or stress on the nape, I keep it well moisturized and protected at night just like I treat the rest of my hair.
I don't think bunning too much is the culprit for thinning, I think really tight buns can cause that, I keep my buns or PS loose to snug never super tight, I use no damage stretchy headbands, conditioner, gel, or oils to tame fly-aways.

I haven't used direct heat on my hair most of this summer maybe once or twice. But if I'm in a heat styling mood I'll use it once every 2 weeks on average sometimes less it really depends what I'm doing that week and how the style is holding up and how cold it is outside.

Hey Lucia where are you getting these no damage stretchy headbands. Noticed hairbands make little hairs break around my edges. I like the look, but don't want the damage.

Lucia

Hey Lucia where are you getting these no damage stretchy headbands. Noticed hairbands make little hairs break around my edges. I like the look, but don't want the damage.

I get them at walgeens walmart or online scunci makes a no damage line of hair bands. It's worth he little extra you pay for them. HHG

grow

hi WL ladies!

there's been a new thread started which asks why WL is often referred to as WSL.

people want to know what the S stands for.
(some have said it is Waist Strap Length.)

i'm just curious to know what you ladies who are WL say the S stands for when ppl refer to it as WSL.

thanks ladies!

Lucia

I think it's because we all got used to 3 letters like apl or bsl so then wsl

Last edited:

grow

thank you Lucia!

i've been away just a few days, and it looks like everything has changed yet AGAIN.

i would have thanked your post, but the thank you button has disappeared, as well as the tag, mention and @ features that i was just starting to get used to.

oh ladies, what are we to do with this thing?

grow

i've been reading about ladies who put vaseline on their ends to moisturize, seal and keep thier up-do's in place well.

do any of you ladies use this method?

Lucia

i've been reading about ladies who put vaseline on their ends to moisturize, seal and keep thier up-do's in place well.

grow

Here's the trick with Vaseline your hair MUST be moisturized first before you seal it wthe Vaseline bc unlike penetratring oils like evco or evoo extra virgin coconut and olive oils safflower jojoba sesame etc... these oils penetrate the hair shaft and moisturiz the hair as well as seal now if you use them after moisturize then that's the best you can do for max moisture and health. Vaseline only seals and it also keeps any more moisture from getting in Eventually drying out the hair so you must use sulfates to wash it out again causing more dryness.
I think oils are waaaaay better plus my hair hates Vaseline.
HHG
:fairy:

Last edited:

grow

thanks so much, Lucia!

i had no idea it took sulfates to get that stuff out, so i'm so glad to know that before i tried it!

my hair cannot stand the harshness of sulfates.

Whimsy

I don't use vaseline and I never will. It's just so goopy and gross to me. I wouldn't want to use it on my hair.

How often do you wear your hair down and how often do you use direct heat?

I wear my hair down in spurts. at least once or twice a week and the rest of the time in buns and updos with the ends protected

Direct heat, rarely.
In the summer and warm months NEVER
In the winter, well last winter like every other week i would maxiglide.
This winter probably way less.

Lucia

Do you find that it's easier or harder to care for your hair the longer it gets?

Yes it's much easier there was a point between apl and bsl where I was fighting w my hair very wash day it was all tangles and knots all the time. But then I found curlygirl and CW only that's made all the difference.

Last edited:

Lucia

Do you find that it's easier or harder to care for your hair the longer it gets?

Yes it's much easier there was a point between apl and bsl where I was fighting w ny hair very wash day it was all tangles and knots all the time. But then I found curlygirl and CW only that's made all the difference. Also I can whip I up into an updo and use hair sticks or flexible 8 in 10 min it's really much easier to style then when it was shorter.

Amoreofcurls

Do any of you ladies still sit under the dryer or steamer? How do you ensure all of your hair (especially the ends) are exposed to the heat?

Last edited:

Carrie A

Yes it's much easier there was a point between apl and bsl where I was fighting w ny hair very wash day it was all tangles and knots all the time. But then I found curlygirl and CW only that's made all the difference. Also I can whip I up into an updo and use hair sticks or flexible 8 in 10 min it's really much easier to style then when it was shorter.

Hi there. Someone bumpped your thread today from 2006 asking how long it takes to grow from BSL to waist. Now that you've passed the mark, how long did it take?

Lucia

Hi there. Someone bumpped your thread today from 2006 asking how long it takes to grow from BSL to waist. Now that you've passed the mark, how long did it take?

I had to go back and check my fotki pics for dates :lol:
well 2.2006 BSL 8.2008 WL 2 years and change.

Lucia

Do any of you ladies still sit under the dryer or steamer? How do you ensure all of your hair (especially the ends) are exposed to the heat?

Yes I still use the steamer and the heat cap for DC or Cassia it's a good tool for reviving damaged hair. I flip the ends up like a half bun leaving the ends out and I clip it with a plastic separator clip they sell them by the dozen at the BSS. hth

Last edited:

jupitermoon

What's your view on hair coloring and trying to get long hair? General yay or no?

For my hair it's a big nay. Dye dries out my hair terribly no matter how many deep conditioning treatments I do or how much I try to moistruzie my hair. This extreme dryness eventaully leads to splits which requires me to cut. My hair is coarse and coarse hair is already prone to dryness. Whether one's hair can handle dye or not depends on the hair type (i.e. fine, medium, coarse).

Lucia

@Lucia, it took you two years to go from BSL to WL...what did you do to achieve this goal?

@Janet'

I braided my hair up damp w some conditioner and oil in, after washing it and DC weaved it up for most of that time 2 months up in the weave 1 week out DC daily and daily buns under phonyponys. <--again my hair was still hiding.

I used to shampoo still then when my hair grazed MBL I switched to CW only simplified my regimen, stopped being a crazed PJ and jumped off all the bandwagons and that got me over the hump.

I also work out regularly 3-4x/week eating right, drinking water 1L/day and vitamins. I misted and oiled or buttered my scalp/hair while it was weaved up and I did a whole head (and weave) baggie every night I was hardcore. :lol:

The main things were PS, DC, keeping it moisturized, dusting, and eating healthy. HHG

Last edited: