sulfur challenge, 2011 edition

LifeafterLHCF

I'm so going to hate I can't find this stuff in my local area from what it seems..neither pharmacy has it.I wonder if I should try calling walmart's pharmacy..I want to join even though its late in the game.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
This is a repost from the baggy challenge. I feel the results I've gotten are from daily use of Claudie's Elixer and GHE. :grin:

Alright, I couldn't wait a month for another comparison pic. :giggle: These two pictures were taken 13 days apart using the same t-shirt. Notice how much further my hair is from the collar in the second picture. :woot:

(Please ignore the lint monster on my shoulders. My husband didn't tell me it was there and refused to take another picture because he was watching a football game. :rolleyes: )

Charla

bebezazueta- You just made me almost cry! I have really been struggling with my SD worsening & my growth/hair health has suffered bc of it...I see the progress everyone else has been having & I feel like I have been having more issues since going natural/joining the board :nono: My hair used to grow effortlessly and now it is hard work...I apparently missed out on the "hair growing like weeds" effect of going natural :lol: But I know when my scalp health improves, the rest of everything will fall into place :yep: I really feel like sulfur is the key to not only controlling my scalp issues, but also improving my growth rate! I am going to fully commit to giving it a try again consistently! You ladies inspire me so much & I can't thank you enough for helping me navigate this journey toward healthy & long hair again :yep: :grouphug:

@LilMissSunshine5

I have (had!) SD really bad in my scalp for years and had been on a bunch of prescriptions meds and prescription shampoos and nothing cleared up my SD until I started putting coconut oil on my scalp as part of my weekly prepoo. Suddenly I noticed it was almost instantly gone and has never reoccoured. That's been since Dec 2010! Now I use the sulfur oil and my recipes include coconut oil. I included cocounut because I knew how it healed my SD, but I had no idea sulfur would help it too. I have had ZERO recoccurence, flare up, nothing! My scalp is clean and healthy and free of greasy dandruff patches and all the irritation that goes along with SD!

I believe I already sent you the sulfur recipes I'm using.

Last edited:

~Vintage Queen~

May I join even though there's only 4+ months to go? If yes, my template:

Starting Length:Shoulder length straightened
Projected/Goal Length for December 2011: Past collerbone/APL
Regimen: Wash and condition 1x week. Moisturise, baggy/GHEs daily, and wigs. Deep conditon every 2nd or 4th week.
Method of Sulfur Application: Drinking MSM (have for a while), Shea Butter Balm applied to parts daily.
Other Growth Aids: Egg Shake, chlorella, DE (all on and off).

LilMissSunshine5

I have been using my sulfur (2x/wk) & I plan to up that soon...I have also been using my prescription shampoo (1x/wk). My SD has finally seemed to be under control :woot::yay: Now I am focusing solely on scalp health & hair growth! YaY! I am trying to up my sulfur use to 3-4 days/wk...I am aiming for an inch/mo for the rest of the year! Time to step it up :yep:

LilMissSunshine5

Charla- Thank you for the encouragement! It means so much to me! I will look into using coconut oil on my scalp in the future...I used to use it as a pre-poo, but gave up using it bc coconut oil was so drying to my hair :look: Maybe just using it on my scalp will lead to a better outcome :yep:

LifeafterLHCF

Are you opposed to buying online?

Not opposed just wanted to get my stuff in person but no pharmacy out in my area seems to even know what I'm talking about at all.I got alot of what's that I have never heard of that.So I find myself either having to buy the sulfur powder or get a hair line that has the sulfur in the product...for you ladies who got it at walmart what department?

winona

[USER=264360 said:
LilMissSunshine5[/USER];14062381]winona- Can you post the amounts/recipe for the sulfur pomade? That looks great :yep:

P.S. What is germall plus & jojoba esters? :look:

Hi I made too versions to see how my hair/scalp responds to both:grin:

1st one
ratios:4 Carrier Oil, 1 Yellow Beeswax, 1 Jojoba Ester 70 (MP70), Sublimed Sulfur and Germall Plus

I liked the smoothness. No scalp issues

2nd one (typical pomade style)
ratios: 2 warmed butter(not completely melted), 3 carrier oil, peppermint and rosemary oil and Germall Plus

I like this one a little better. I loved the smoothness and how by morning it felt like my scalp literally absorbed all of it:)

Jojoba esters are basically hydrogenated Jojoba oil. They come in 3 different versions (type depends on hardness). I used the hardest one available 70:) Jojoba esters are normally combined with beeswax to add a smoothness:) Check this link out http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com/my_weblog/2008/02/jojoba-esters.html

HTH

sarathu

Not opposed just wanted to get my stuff in person but no pharmacy out in my area seems to even know what I'm talking about at all.I got alot of what's that I have never heard of that.So I find myself either having to buy the sulfur powder or get a hair line that has the sulfur in the product...for you ladies who got it at walmart what department?

Oh ya understandable. I got mine from target, have you tried them?

Charla

I'm so going to hate I can't find this stuff in my local area from what it seems..neither pharmacy has it.I wonder if I should try calling walmart's pharmacy..I want to join even though its late in the game.

GoddessMaker -- You'll likely find it at a "compounding pharmacy." You can call your local pharmacy and ask them where the closest compounding pharmacy is. It'll probably cost a little more there though. That's what I did before I decided to buy it online. But the cost difference was $4 (includes shipping) on Amazon for 4 oz, versus $12 at the compounding pharmacy.

This is the one I buy on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013ND5AK/?tag=710-20

Rossy2010

I back to using my sulfur mix since I have finally addressed my shedding issues. I hope to get some good result in these coming four months before end of the year.:yep::yep:

Last edited:

transitioning?

I stopped using sulphur back in Feb cuz I thought it was giving me headaches but I'm desperate. I stated using my beemine last week and I'm excited no headaches yet. Last time my hair grew an inch in 3 weeks. Lets hope for a repeat

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

ebsalita

I've been lurking on this thread for 2 months or so (I may have even asked a couple of questions but I don't think I officially joined in). I hope you don't mind a new joiner so late in the game, Esi?

I've been using Sulphur since the 8th of August and have been updating on my blog, I didn't think to update here until someone asked for progress in another challenge that I am in and so I thought, why not join in and post with a picture. I'm using my mix once (sometimes twice!) a day and I'm taking MSM powder too and covering my head with a ski hat at night to keep my head warm for better growth. Here's my progress in 19 days which I've been updating in my blog:

I've already got approx 28mm in 19 days, but some of that is due to the shrinkage in the first picture being stretched out in the second picture. I'm really pleased the sulphur etc is working well for me so far, if I carry on going I will make APL by year end just as planned - maybe even longer! :yep:

Sianna

I'm not in this challenge, but just recently decided to add sulfa to my hair care routine! :grin: Hope you ladies don't mind if I ask you a couple questions. I purchased some sublimed sulfa from Amazon.com, and mixed it with about 6oz of Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil. My first question is this...

1. For those who made their own sulfa mixture, are you finding that the sulfa keeps sinking to the bottom of the bottle while the oils float to the top?

If so, I guess that's fine. It'd just mean you'd have to shake it up before each use right? I just ask because I don't know if something's wrong with mine, or if it will eventually dissolve.

2. How often are you applying your sulfa? I was thinking every night to every other night. Do you think that'd be too much?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Sianna Sulfur can't dissolve in oil, so you'll have to shake it up before each use. I apply every other night, to every night. Depends on your own scalp's reaction to the sulfur mix.

ebsalita Welcome! Thanks for sharing progress pictures.

hair4romheaven

Ladies I need help. I purchased sulpher from baldwins store in UK. Its yellow and just says sulpher on the package not sublime sulpher. Is this the right sulpher to be used on hair?

billyne

peace ya'll..
i just ordered my sulfur today from amazon to make my mix. and i was just curious what kind of fragrance oils are you using to get the funk out? is the smell from the sulfur really noticeable? :perplexed

Bublin

Ladies I need help. I purchased sulpher from baldwins store in UK. Its yellow and just says sulpher on the package not sublime sulpher. Is this the right sulpher to be used on hair?

hair4romheaven - that's what i have purchased in the past and the staff said it was sublimed. I'm going there this week to get some and get serious about boosting my growth!

Bublin

I have a stupid question......

If the ratio is 1 teaspoon to 8oz of oil how are you storing it? That's alot of oil.
Also, I'm thinking if the sulpher has to be shaken up at each application how can you be sure the correct ratio is being dispensed into your small applicator bottle - some might have settled at the bottom?