Texlaxers Support Thread

Eisani

Yea yea yea (mic check)...I've been doing this for about 2 yrs now and love it. My processing time is 5-7 minutes max and rarely comb the relaxer thru. I use SE Mega-Silk mild lye relaxer w/shea butter. Pics galore in my Fotki. In my "New Color Showers" or something album, I listed out everything I did. I don't think I'll ever be able to go completely natural, so this is the next best thing for me.

FreeNewMe

I just joined the site and have been growing my relaxer out since Feb 07. I plan to grow it all out and start over by cutting the relaxed hair in March of 08....I'm likely gonna go the texlax(?) route. Right now, I recentely cut a bob and I just wash and blow it out weekly( I know this is bad, but that's why I'm here!!) I was considering Natural but I'm far to active to maintain it and I'd prefer a more versatile style.

I'm a little clueless about some of the terms. What is a conditioner wash? Any tips, suggestions, product recommendations by the group would be GREATLY appreciated.

My goal is to have long, thick, beautiful hair...my hair has all the potential(it's really thick..I guess you'd call it 4a with some b spots) but I need the information to get it there.

Help ladies!!

sareca

I think I'm going to start texlaxing more often. I thinking once every 16 weeks will work. I said that last year and never got around to it. I'm doing it next year! :mad:

Eisani

I think I'm going to start texlaxing more often. I thinking once every 16 weeks will work. I said that last year and never got around to it. I'm doing it next year! :mad:

I had got mine down to 6 month stretches but when I texlaxed in July, I said I'd do 13 weeks. Now that it's creeping up on me next week, I ain't ready :nono:! I think I'm going to shoot for 16-20 weeks instead.

The Girl

I had got mine down to 6 month stretches but when I texlaxed in July, I said I'd do 13 weeks. Now that it's creeping up on me next week, I ain't ready :nono:! I think I'm going to shoot for 16-20 weeks instead.

see I was doing every three month before here. Now I am working on my 2nd 6month stretch. OR transitioning but who knows?

sareca

I didn't think it'd be hard to relax more often. :huh: I guess old habits (42-47 weeks) die hard. :ohwell:

Eisani

I just like the fullness I achieve when stretching because it reminds me of being a kid w/big "elementary school" hair and like you said, old habits do die hard! I really don't know why I keep fronting on myself, I should probably just transistion but I can't quite do it. I like the managability and style options of texlaxers. Oh well :ohwell: What I really want to focus on now that the weather is cold is protecting and retaining my ends! I co-washed this morning only to step outside and it's 45 degrees :sad:. I need to do a major overhaul of my routine starting now. Off to write down some things.

lana

I have about 7 weeks of new growth or maybe 8 weeks now and anyways my last texlax didn't take. I didn't leave it on long enough (5 minutes isn't enough), because the time before that I left it on to long! (10 minutes is too long). I think 7 minutes should be perfect and this time I will add all of the activator and my regular amount of conditioner.

See last time I didn't add but half of the activator stuff! So that's probably why my hair didn't really process at all. So now I have three inches of underprocessed texlaxed hair, plus one inch of new growth or a little more. (sigh)

My last stretch was like 13-14 weeks.

I guess I am going to have to either try to wait it out...or go ahead and texlax this week. I would really like to at least make it to 10 weeks before I touch up. The good news is my hair is growing. But oh the woes of doing your own hair sometimes, my goodness.

Any advice?

sareca

I just like the fullness I achieve when stretching because it reminds me of being a kid w/big "elementary school" hair and like you said, old habits do die hard! I really don't know why I keep fronting on myself, I should probably just transistion but I can't quite do it. I like the managability and style options of texlaxers. Oh well :ohwell: What I really want to focus on now that the weather is cold is protecting and retaining my ends! I co-washed this morning only to step outside and it's 45 degrees :sad:. I need to do a major overhaul of my routine starting now. Off to write down some things.

I also like the big hair look especially for ponytails! :love2: I'm gonna try very hard not to go 10 months again. 16 weeks from my last relaxer is December 9. I think I'll set a ticker to count down the days.

Last edited:

sareca

I have about 7 weeks of new growth or maybe 8 weeks now and anyways my last texlax didn't take. I didn't leave it on long enough (5 minutes isn't enough), because the time before that I left it on to long! (10 minutes is too long). I think 7 minutes should be perfect and this time I will add all of the activator and my regular amount of conditioner.

See last time I didn't add but half of the activator stuff! So that's probably why my hair didn't really process at all. So now I have three inches of underprocessed texlaxed hair, plus one inch of new growth or a little more. (sigh)

My last stretch was like 13-14 weeks.

I guess I am going to have to either try to wait it out...or go ahead and texlax this week. I would really like to at least make it to 10 weeks before I touch up. The good news is my hair is growing. But oh the woes of doing your own hair sometimes, my goodness.

Any advice?

Oh man! That's exactly why I want to texlax more often. I've been texlaxing once/year. That means I have 5-6 inches of NG each time. If it comes out too straight or doesn't take you can't hide it 6 inches! I was hoping by texlaxing more often I'd get more practice which should improve my consistency and that I'd be able to hide uh-oh's better. *sigh*

I don't have any advice. I'm just commiserating.

ETA: Make sure you use all the developer. 5 minutes might be long enough if you let it develop all the way.

Last edited:

InnerSoul

I agree with this!! I am stretching for 6 months because of the bolded(no more bone straight for me) and not to mention I like the fact that I don't have to expose my scalp to chemicals as often as when I was going to the hairdresser getting it touched up every 6-8weeks.

I know what you mean about the cold weather approaching.. I must also protect and retain my ends:yep:

Jazzy413

Hi ladies...have been reading all the posts in this thread to get caught up. Im not sure what I'm going to do...transition into natural or texlax. Its looking more and more like texlaxing tho. Right now I need more manageability with my hair and more styling options. Ive learned some great tips so far in reading the thread so I will be visiting often to share my experience and just check in. Thanks!

lana

Oh man! That's exactly why I want to texlax more often. I've been texlaxing once/year. That means I have 5-6 inches of NG each time. If it comes out too straight or doesn't take you can't hide it 6 inches! I was hoping by texlaxing more often I'd get more practice which should improve my consistency and that I'd be able to hide uh-oh's better. *sigh*

I don't have any advice. I'm just commiserating.

ETA: Make sure you use all the developer. 5 minutes might be long enough if you let it develop all the way.

I've decided today just to wait until next week and texlax. I can wash and deep condition one more time. Right now I think I've been scratching too much to texlax tomorrow with no irritation to the scalp. I'll probably texlax next Wednesday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh and this time I'm going to make sure and use all of the developer/activator stuff, like you mentioned.

magviv

I attempted my first texlax today and it turned out straight! I stretched my relaxer for 5 1/2 months, purchased mizani mild relaxer, added a couple of tablespoons of wonder 8 oil to the relaxer, my hairdresser smoothed the relaxer on for a short amount of time and then rinsed it out. She also used the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor that I bought between the relaxer and the neutralizer.

My hair turned out really soft and bouncy but just as straight as ever. It's weird and somewhat disappointing. I plan on trying again though with the mizani butter blend mild, 1/2 cup of oil (castor oil maybe?) and really shorten the application time.:ohwell:

Eisani

I attempted my first texlax today and it turned out straight! I stretched my relaxer for 5 1/2 months, purchased mizani mild relaxer, added a couple of tablespoons of wonder 8 oil to the relaxer, my hairdresser smoothed the relaxer on for a short amount of time and then rinsed it out. She also used the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor that I bought between the relaxer and the neutralizer.

My hair turned out really soft and bouncy but just as straight as ever. It's weird and somewhat disappointing. I plan on trying again though with the mizani butter blend mild, 1/2 cup of oil (castor oil maybe?) and really shorten the application time.:ohwell:

Also try not to smooth too much. This usually does straighten the hair, depending on your hair type. When I apply, I only smooth my edges and nape. Also, sometimes it takes until your next wash to get rid of the straightness.

bbdgirl

Great thread...I didn't realize that so many people texlax. I luv it and think that it is my best option for meb/c wen my hair was natural I was not as attentive as I should have been. The problem with bone straight is that my hair relaxes very quickly and gets overprocessed quickly too.
I use Just for me regular.
I leave it on for 10 minutes
and keep washing out until the water runs white and then I wash it again just to be on the safe side.
i have not found my hair to be brittle or dry afterward, I use John Frieda Frizz-ease while my hair is soaking wet
apply a leave in conditioner
and garnier Fructis length and strength on the ends
I mostly air dry a habit I picked up frm when my hair was natural.

I have always been a PJ but I honestly find that the simpler the regimen the better the results and the more likely you're apt to keep up with it.

I like Just for Me relaxer but I was wondering if I should try a diff one maybe a Optimum or Mizani, but only mild b/c my hair has always straightened very quickly to the point that if I am not careful I lose my texture altogether.
And I am def going to try putting oil or conditioner in the relaxer!! Thanks for that tip ladies!!:yep:

sareca

I'm ordering my Phyto Index I today. I'm either going to use it during the first week of December or put my hair in kinky twists. I haven't decided yet.

lana

Hmm, well honestly, is there a reason you feel you need to texlax so soon? 5-6 weeks is soon. Are you getting THAT much new growth? I try to wait until I have at least two inches. So that's usually 10-14 weeks. :ohwell:

I usually wait 8 weeks, but since MN, I have had to go right around 6 weeks.

And Since ThanksGiving is here and Im gonna be seeing possible in-laws I thought I should go ahead and do one this time. I have about 1 inch of new growth :rolleyes:

SignatureBeauty

Hello! I am so glad to have subscribe to this thread, I just Tex-Laxed around October after being Natural for almost a year, But I am enjoying this Tex-Laxed lifestyle, I only had like a inch and a half of hair but it feels great, I think I am gonna stay like this for awhile, I plan to do touch ups every 12 weeks but I will go no longer than 16. I do miss my natural hair sometimes but it gets hard when you have a Twa for so long and you can't see your progress or lay it down for a phony pony LOL!!!!

I used a No Lye but that has left my hair dry as he** so I am gonna use Designer Tough Lye Texturizing Relaxer, I used it in the past with great results, I even thought about trying the Motions Herbal Lye Relaxer, But either one of those will be fine. My Daughter who is 12 just got a Texturizer and she loves it so much and plus it is easier for her to help me take care of it, She loves the curls because they are more enhanced. But she stretches about 12 weeks also.

Right now all I can do is slick my hair back and attach a comb phony pony and let it do it's thing until I can rollerset it. Thanks Ladies for this Thread, I also only apply my touch up with an Applicator Bottle it helps me to get right on the Newgrowth,then smooth just a little with my applicator brush.:grin:

Nanyanika

hi ladies, i'm hopingto learn a lot from you all, i'm switching to mild lye to preserve thickness and strength of my hair, wish me luck at my next touch-up

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am thinking about going back this route. I wonder if lye is better than no lye to texlax. I know when I used lye in the past, my hair would not get strait for nothing!

SignatureBeauty

DDTexlaxed! I know me and you can't decide whether to stay natural or texturized! You started over 7 times and me,8 times LOL!!! But I think I am gonna stay this route for awhile because it is easier for me to handle and easier for me to stretch it out longer.

I used a No-lye at first but it really made my hair dry afterwards and it felt icky, But when I used a Lye it came out more softer and looked better, But I guess it depends on your hair, Mine came out with a wave pattern with curls on the ends and my sides came straight because i applied it there to early, they process fast, so next time I will do them last. But other than that I am gonna Love this!!!

sareca

My Phyto I arrived this week, but I'm seriously considering putting braids in. I'm ready for a little hair break. I was planning to relax on 12/1 after the 2 week club challenge ends, but now I'm thinking I want to wait another 4-5 weeks. I'm either going to relax on 12/1 or put braids in on 12/1. If I put the braids in I'm only keep them for about 4 weeks. I'll so be taking them out shortly after Christmas and texturizing after the first week in January.

I think I'm doing it again... I'm gonna end up at 46 weeks before I know it. *sigh*

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
DDTexlaxed! I know me and you can't decide whether to stay natural or texturized! You started over 7 times and me,8 times LOL!!! But I think I am gonna stay this route for awhile because it is easier for me to handle and easier for me to stretch it out longer.

I used a No-lye at first but it really made my hair dry afterwards and it felt icky, But when I used a Lye it came out more softer and looked better, But I guess it depends on your hair, Mine came out with a wave pattern with curls on the ends and my sides came straight because i applied it there to early, they process fast, so next time I will do them last. But other than that I am gonna Love this!!!

Hi, NP! I've decided to relax instead of texlax. I like my natural hair, but I can't enjoy it. I've got no styling skills whatsoever.:rolleyes: I know how to take care of my relaxed hair and I've learned how to stretch from my texlaxed days. I've got to meet my hair goal first before I relax though. I have to research lye relaxers now. They seem to have gotten a better rating on the board than no lye. I'll let you know when I tie your record!:grin::wink2: