Texturizer vs. Relaxer (Help)

alira

Please help me to understand the difference between a texturizer and relaxer. I have a relaxer but I'm interested in trying a texturizer. Is it easy to make this transition? Should I be warned about something?

bettydavis

A texturiser is basically a relaxer left on for a shorter amount of time, and it just loosens the curl pattern without fully straightening it. It only works if you have a curl pattern to begin with. Transitioning will take time, because you will have to grow out the relaxed hair first. HTH

Healthb4Length

Ditto! I have texturized hair with straightened ends due to a previous stylists' fault! If you are gentle with your hair you can transition, it will take time but you must be patient and gentle with your hair. If you decide to texturized be mindful that you will be dealing with 2, then three textures of hair. first 2 textures because you will have texturized roots and straight ends--you have to be careful with this, what I did to combat breakage was I did braidouts and twistouts and I paid attention to my ends by oiling the last 3 inches with shea butter or essential oils. Second is dealing with 3 textures, as your hair grows out you will be dealing with new growth, texturized hair and relaxed ends. This becomes really tricky but if you do what I stated above then your breakage should be minimal. I also employed conditioner washes to help reduce breakage, I ALWAYS separated my hair in 4 sections when washing to avoid tangling. Also I made sure that I trimmed my straight ends off little by little until they are all out and I have only texturized hair. I still do have some straight ends but not as much as I started. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions check out www.jazma.com they are experts in texturizing! Good luck!

Nonpareil

I have a texturizer - it loosens the curl pattern and sretches out your curls. Texturizers are usually very gentle lye relaxers, left on for a very short period of time. You really can only wear it curly - if you want straight you'll probably want to go relaxed - I haven't had much luck with straightening.

Nonpareil

See the before and after pics at http://www.curve-salon.com for pics. They do curlier texturizers - Jazma's wash-n-wear loosens up the curl a lot more so you can go curly or straight - or really wavy/frizzy or straight. I don't like Jazma's method very much.

Healthb4Length

I have a jazma type texturizer and I wear my hair straight, in fact the Jazma people trained curve on texturizing methods. It all depends on your body chemistry I believe.