Thanking & Liking Button

Amerie123

i'm not liking any of it.. i miss the old way.. the "like," and the "thanks" and then the part that says something like "4 others liked it" -its just too much.. sigh, it was tradition to see a whole bunch of names that "THANKED" your post after a good post or hair update, etc.. *sigh* :ohwell:

Kiki0130

Ever since the "like" appeared, I haven't really done all the liking or thanking I could be doing because each time I have to stop to think, "Do I wanna thank or like? Or do I wanna just thank? But I DO like the post too?" aaarrrgghhh

Way too much decision-making that has nothing to do with my hair :lachen:

hannan

I'm kinda scared to come back on LHCF. Everytime I log on, there's something newer and crazier than the last :laugh:

30something

I liked seeing everyone who thanked too instead of only showing 4 names. I think in a post it was explained that the Old old thanks are going to be added in but that its so many of them it takes time.. I'm not sure just trying to remember what was said

melodies815

^^^Nikos snatched the dislike button back.

Hahahaaa!!!! I kind of miss the dislike button though. I think we could have gotten used to it over time. Sometimes someone says something totally "off" and they need to know we dislike it. I'm sad the button is gone, but I like your comment. You have me laughing.

I miss all my "thanks." I earned those. They are like money around here. *pouting* I also wish the smileys were automatically still on the right when I post a reply.

Nonie

This is what I answered in another thread that asked why we need both:

:giggle: ....Coz it's not unusual to say, "I like the gift you gave me so much, thank you!" so it'd not be unusual to say, "I like the post you just made, thank you for taking the time to write it/for saving me the trouble of having to write it/for wording that better than I could/for the good laugh that made my day, etc.

I think it goes back to the 1371391073237 reasons people might've thanked a post when that is all we had: sometimes there was just one reason (you liked what was said so said thanks); sometimes there were more than one reason (you agreed with the post, you found it funny/enlightening, etc...in which case thanks was the ideal response). Now that we have both responses, you can cover all bases more appropriately if you like it and are grateful for whatever you gained from it....

Nonie

why did the thanks restart again?

poochie167, I prefer it to everyone quoting OP's post with a thousand photos to say "VERY NICE". Or quoting every other post they agree with to just write ITA. Made threads long for nothing. Thanks IMO covers ITA, good point, glad to know, too funny.

lilikoi

My only wish is that we get to see the number of thanks/likes at a glance, without having to click on a tab...

Last edited:

Nonie

My only wish is that we get to see the number of thanks/likes at a glance, without having to click on a tab...

lilikoi What do you mean? Under the posts it tells you X, Y, Z and 3 others thanked poster/liked post. What tab are you clicking on?

I actually prefer this shorthand way coz the threads look neater, IMO.

lilikoi

lilikoi What do you mean? Under the posts it tells you X, Y, Z and 3 others thanked poster/liked post. What tab are you clicking on?

I actually prefer this shorthand way coz the threads look neater, IMO.

Oh, I'm not talking about the summary after each thread. I'm referring to the permanent record/summary of number of times the poster has been thanked ever. Like this:

I want to be able to see if someone is a "renowned" poster when I read their comments...without having to click on a tab for every poster on a thread.

Call me superficial (and lazy) but in the old days before the update it was so easy to get instant glance at someone's forum "street cred":look:

MarieB

OK, I'm too tired to read through this entire thread to find out the outcome on what happened to our "thanked" counts, but I just want to chime in to say that I am vexed to see my count disappear. Not that they were my only source of validation in the world, but they did let me know when people agreed with me or appreciated what I had to say. Right now it looks like we're starting over at 0 every day while a week ago some people had been thanked in the thousands. So, what gives? Will we ever get them back?

Nonie

@lilikoi :rofl: But if it says thanked and liked and the number is huge, wouldn't that suffice w/o seeing the broken down details? After all before we had "liked", thank you covered both so you can view that number as being the equivalent of the previous "thanks".

lilikoi

@lilikoi :rofl: But if it says thanked and liked and the number is huge, wouldn't that suffice w/o seeing the broken down details? After all before we had "liked", thank you covered both so you can view that number as being the equivalent of the previous "thanks".

Nonie: I think we're still talking about two different things. I'm really not sweating the breakdown. I agree the both like and thank means it's a good post.
My issue it that the summary at the bottom of the comment gives you an idea of the popularity (measured in likes/thanks) of the particular post it's attached to, not of the overall summary of lifetime thanks/likes of the poster.

It just annoys that I have that little tab to see the latter on each and every poster of every thread!

P.S. I even have to click on it to see how many times I have been thanked/liked

Last edited:

LaidBak

what's the difference?

I assume if a person thanks a post they obviously liked it?

Agreed. After getting used to the upgrade for a while I can say that having them both is truly redundant.
Same thing with the mention feature, unnecessary. Just make it easier to find out when we've been quoted. Or make quoting and automatic mention so it can be tracked.