The Enjoying Our Hair Thread

How Often Do you Enjoy Your Hair?

• Everyday

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Frequently(Once a week+ but not every single day)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Regularly(at least once a month but not as often as once a week +)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sometimes( 6-11 times a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infrequently(3-5 times a year)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Rarely (0-2 times a year)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
You have me feeling inspired @Chicoro! I needed this post! Last night I started washing my hair close to 10 PM and it was one of those times when I knew I needed to wash my hair. My hair was still soft and tangle-free but not holding onto moisture for days anymore it had exceeded 5 weeks since my last wash unintentionally as I focused on other priorities. The challenge was that I was tired before I started. I tried to force it by laying out my items and even recording footage of it, but as I began to wash day, it felt more like a task and distraction than an opportunity for true relaxation and restoration. I was trying to get it done quickly and force enjoyment...a combination that just wasn't catching for me. I am now convinced I needed to read your post first lol and recognize the opportunity better. I am claiming all the peace, enjoyment, and lucidity you experienced last night when I finish after work today! Last night I did get a nice cowash in but I tried to use The Doux's "One Love" as a cowash and deep conditioner(which it is marketed for) and it washed quite as nourishing as I like for my deep conditioners. I ended up saturating my hair with leave-in putting on a shower cap and going to sleep. Right now my hair has leave- in conditioner all over it under a shower cap to try to give me that extra boost of moisture before styling it after work today(work from home). I am going to claim the enjoyment within the styling phase. No rushing, no treating it like a task. This evening I will start earlier and finish off right.

I know you have been dealing with chest colds and other things and I feel inspired by you to not just trudge through it like a task, but to allow the moment to be all the enjoyment it is made for. Thank you so much for your post! I needed it!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It was right on time. I am claiming some of what you've got for this evening's style session!
Good for you! Yes, shift that thinking and jump into this evenings' hair activities with deep, gratifying pleasure and enjoyment! Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

My lil' chest cold has cleared. I think all the fasting and sleeping and rest I am doing is doing wonders for healing my being. Thank you for the feedback. I sure appreciate it and I appreciate you.

Lylddlebit

Good for you! Yes, shift that thinking and jump into this evenings' hair activities with deep, gratifying pleasure and enjoyment! Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

My lil' chest cold has cleared. I think all the fasting and sleeping and rest I am doing is doing wonders for healing my being. Thank you for the feedback. I sure appreciate it and I appreciate you.
Style session came out cute. I whipped out my old school curlformers and did a set. My curlformers have been in my arsenal since 2007-2008 and still go strong! I forget about them sometimes but they never disappoint. If my wash day would have had more moisture I would have stretched this set to 2 weeks but I did enjoy my hair this week and will wash this weekend.

Attachments

• curlformer Screenshot.jpg
    curlformer Screenshot.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Lylddlebit

I know that I'm one step from bald-headed, but I've been loving my hair so much :circle: I just finished my wash day and it was all of 15 mins (I was taking my time and enjoying each step). No regrets!
The perk, perks, perks of short and satisfying styles! It definitely has it's advantages. How well are you products stretching with your current style?

ckisland

The perk, perks, perks of short and satisfying styles! It definitely has it's advantages. How well are you products stretching with your current style?
I thought that I would need to wash my hair every few days since it's so short. Nope!!! Once a week still works. I was actually able to cowash and condition this week instead of needing to shampoo. I missed being able to use my beloved Doux and Miss Jessie's products. But I won't need to re-up on anything for a minute LOL!

Chicoro

Style session came out cute. I whipped out my old school curlformers and did a set. My curlformers have been in my arsenal since 2007-2008 and still go strong! I forget about them sometimes but they never disappoint. If my wash day would have had more moisture I would have stretched this set to 2 weeks but I did enjoy my hair this week and will wash this weekend.
Are those burgundy highlights in your hair? If those beautiful highlights are your natural hair, you lucky thing you! Hair came out lovely!

Lylddlebit

I thought that I would need to wash my hair every few days since it's so short. Nope!!! Once a week still works. I was actually able to cowash and condition this week instead of needing to shampoo. I missed being able to use my beloved Doux and Miss Jessie's products. But I won't need to re-up on anything for a minute LOL!
Love it. Take the perks of your prior routine with you and leave the inconveniences beyond as you rebuild!

Lylddlebit

Chicoro said:
Are those burgundy highlights in your hair? If those beautiful highlights are your natural hair, you lucky thing you! Hair came out lovely!
That is my natural hair color. My hair is a deep auburn reddish brown undertone. A lot of times it will seem brown but if it is drier than usual or if I am in direct sunlight, it is easy to see the reddish tint to it.

In the past, I have braided colored hair into my hair, worn colored wigs and used roux temporary deposits on a leave-out while wearing a wig, but I always rock my natural hair color when my real hair is styled. Thank you so much for the compliment. These precious moments of my natural hair color is coming to and end with grey hair popping up. So I am going to enjoy my time while it lasts.

Chicoro

I had a wonderful Aphogee Two Step and Micro Trim Session in January 2024. That was in part to having the right tools for ME, a blowdryer with a comb attachment.

I also realized from that session and the one where I didn't finish my hair until 1:00 am, that it is important for me to set the right intention and have the right mind set.

That means I like having my place clean. I like having all chores or to-do's complete and giving 100% of my attention to my hair as I am doing it. That also means gathering all my products and tools to have them ready.

No holding up dripping hair wetting my back uncomfortably, with one eye open while blindly searching in desperation with my free hand and the other eye open, trying to dodge drops of whatever product is falling from my hair.

My hair deserves to be treated like the precious tresses it is. And I deserve to be treated with grace, kindness, patience and reverence. The great thing is that "I" am the one in the position to do both!

No more meting out bad treatment to my hair or myself, whether it be unintentional or intentional.

1710080683641.png

I almost forgot that gorgeous thriving hair starts with and is curated by loving intention.

Lylddlebit

I stretched my hair with the Revair late last night. I will be rocking it stretched until the end of the month and press at the beginning of April. I planned to press it with the hot combs today, but it's looking and feeling really good streched. This morning, I decided to recapture some time by letting it down and wearing it "as is". Today I have some appointments for my little one and DH has been driving us to them. I caught a peek of my hair in the sunlight and thought of this thread. My hair looks brown most of the time but when the light hits it, I see deep auburn. It has been that way since I was a little girl. This is just a peek at me loving my hair. In the moment of the photo...it's enjoying the color.

And check it... no splits...I still may be thickening it up back up to what it was before my last setback but the strands are healthy!

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_104132023.jpeg
    IMG_20240311_104132023.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240311_104210625.jpeg
    IMG_20240311_104210625.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 15

Chicoro

I stretched my hair with the Revair late last night. I will be rocking it stretched until the end of the month and press at the beginning of April. I planned to press it with the hot combs today, but it's looking and feeling really good streched. This morning, I decided to recapture some time by letting it down and wearing it "as is". Today I have some appointments for my little one and DH has been driving us to them. I caught a peek of my hair in the sunlight and thought of this thread. My hair looks brown most of the time but when the light hits it, I see deep auburn. It has been that way since I was a little girl. This is just a peek at me loving my hair. In the moment of the photo...it's enjoying the color.

And check it... no splits...I still may be thickening it up back up to what it was before my last setback but the strands are healthy!
The first thing I thought was looking at that first picture and thinking it looks like art. An art, that the average un-hair obsessed person would NOT be able to see or appreciate.

Chicoro

26 Bantu Knots.

I blow dry my hair the way most people flat-iron their hair. I blow dry my hair in tiny sections. So I counted today and I blow dried 26 sections. There is no painful pulling or snagging. There are no monster tangles that develop in the middle of the section I am in the middle of blowdrying.

The comb attachment has proven again that it is a must for me.

I also mist each section with hot water before I blow dry it. That allows me to comb it to remove all tangles and keep it pliable so I do not break it during the detangle before I blow it dry with the blow dryer and comb attachment.

I started to blow dry around 6:30 and I finished around 8:30 pm. It is worth it for me because I have no tugging, snagging, breaking and no pain or stress.

Tomorrow, I am wetting it, washing and conditioning it and doing an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment and putting it back in a bun.

I'm checking in on my hair to see its limits. Right now, it seems to continue to thrive after eight (8) weeks, which is the last time I blew it out and trimmed it. Hence, I am going to expand the check in time, with another blowout, four (4) months out.

The next time I check it will be in late July 2024.

Chicoro

My hair was super clean with ZERO product build up or residue. I used @Lylddlebit 's process of coating the dry, dirty hair with the shampoo at the roots. I had about twelve (12) bantu knots and each was coated with shampoo, with no extra water added. It really breaks down the grease and oil and dirt.

My hair session was pretty uneventful. I did collect some good intel in that I realized that I need to blow dry in SUPER small sections to have a comfortable and effective blow dry session. This is the second time in my long hair care journey that I have done this. With the first time being just two (2) months ago.

I'm thinking that a blow out and trim every six (6) months might be a good schedule for me to keep my hair looking and feeling healthy. In 2024, I am doing blow outs after 2 months (March), after 4 months (July) and another 4 months (December).

I still have not pressed my hair with my old pressing combs I brought back to France from the US. I might press it out in December of 2024. Right now, the blow dry result is good for me to see my ends.

I will continue with my current process. It seems to be working. My style continues to break my hair in the front, but no matter how I personally style my hair, it breaks. I don't like loose braids that are tucked, on my hair. That style seems to be one that causes the least amount of breakage on natural hair. But, it is not for me.

Another stress-less hair session on the books for me!

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

I had a wonderful Aphogee Two Step and Micro Trim Session in January 2024. That was in part to having the right tools for ME, a blowdryer with a comb attachment.

I also realized from that session and the one where I didn't finish my hair until 1:00 am, that it is important for me to set the right intention and have the right mind set.

That means I like having my place clean. I like having all chores or to-do's complete and giving 100% of my attention to my hair as I am doing it. That also means gathering all my products and tools to have them ready.

No holding up dripping hair wetting my back uncomfortably, with one eye open while blindly searching in desperation with my free hand and the other eye open, trying to dodge drops of whatever product is falling from my hair.

My hair deserves to be treated like the precious tresses it is. And I deserve to be treated with grace, kindness, patience and reverence. The great thing is that "I" am the one in the position to do both!

No more meting out bad treatment to my hair or myself, whether it be unintentional or intentional.

View attachment 494801

I almost forgot that gorgeous thriving hair starts with and is curated by loving intention.
Fantastic Mindset. I absolutely love it!

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit

This was the second thing I said in my head. Not a split or a knot in sight!
....because you know we always check for it! Haha. I keep my shears on standby but not for uneven hair more to nips splits and knots in the bud. I am okay with it evening/thickening up gradually.

Lylddlebit

The first thing I thought was looking at that first picture and thinking it looks like art. An art, that the average un-hair obsessed person would NOT be able to see or appreciate.
That is why I love ya'll. I see the beauty in it and you let me know to see the art! Just a never-ending cycle of reinforcing healthy hair thoughts, processes, and ideas on here!

Lylddlebit

26 Bantu Knots.

I blow dry my hair the way most people flat-iron their hair. I blow dry my hair in tiny sections. So I counted today and I blow dried 26 sections. There is no painful pulling or snagging. There are no monster tangles that develop in the middle of the section I am in the middle of blowdrying.

The comb attachment has proven again that it is a must for me.

I also mist each section with hot water before I blow dry it. That allows me to comb it to remove all tangles and keep it pliable so I do not break it during the detangle before I blow it dry with the blow dryer and comb attachment.

I started to blow dry around 6:30 and I finished around 8:30 pm. It is worth it for me because I have no tugging, snagging, breaking and no pain or stress.

Tomorrow, I am wetting it, washing and conditioning it and doing an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment and putting it back in a bun.

I'm checking in on my hair to see its limits. Right now, it seems to continue to thrive after eight (8) weeks, which is the last time I blew it out and trimmed it. Hence, I am going to expand the check in time, with another blowout, four (4) months out.

The next time I check it will be in late July 2024.
Smaller sections are good. They can help minimize breakage and to notice the details as you take your time. This sounds like a perfect blow dry session to me. Does hot water work better for you than cool or room temperature? I think the two-hour timeframe is a reasonable one, especially with the results you describe. Also, do you blow dry before the 2-step treatment to prevent tangles or for any other special reason?

Yes to testing the limits, Yes to 8-week thrive intervals. Yes to no tugging snagging, pressing, pain, or stress during the process!
My hair was super clean with ZERO product build up or residue. I used @Lylddlebit 's process of coating the dry, dirty hair with the shampoo at the roots. I had about twelve (12) bantu knots and each was coated with shampoo, with no extra water added. It really breaks down the grease and oil and dirt.

My hair session was pretty uneventful. I did collect some good intel in that I realized that I need to blow dry in SUPER small sections to have a comfortable and effective blow dry session. This is the second time in my long hair care journey that I have done this. With the first time being just two (2) months ago.

I'm thinking that a blow out and trim every six (6) months might be a good schedule for me to keep my hair looking and feeling healthy. In 2024, I am doing blow outs after 2 months (March), after 4 months (July) and another 4 months (December).

I still have not pressed my hair with my old pressing combs I brought back to France from the US. I might press it out in December of 2024. Right now, the blow dry result is good for me to see my ends.

I will continue with my current process. It seems to be working. My style continues to break my hair in the front, but no matter how I personally style my hair, it breaks. I don't like loose braids that are tucked, on my hair. That style seems to be one that causes the least amount of breakage on natural hair. But, it is not for me.

Another stress-less hair session on the books for me!

Letting the shampoo sit on the hair for a while really helps to get the full use out of it. Another "yes" to hair breakthroughs on realizing the benefits of teh smaller sections. Your schedule sounds good, but watch out there now! With all that babied hair and breakthroughs, the length and thickness may wow you come December!

Last edited:

Chicoro

....because you know we always check for it! Haha. I keep my shears on standby but not for uneven hair more to nips splits and knots in the bud. I am okay with it evening/thickening up gradually.
This is my philosophy, too. I do not believe that uneven hair is automatically unhealthy hair. But, the ultimate goal for me is a thick, full, even hairline. Those are pretty, too.

Chicoro

That is why I love ya'll. I see the beauty in it and you let me know to see the art! Just a never-ending cycle of reinforcing healthy hair thoughts, processes, and ideas on here!
Why, thank you! I'll take some of that love and especially because it was sent out specifically and intentionally for me to partake of it. Speaking of love, this is why I think this hair space is so important for us as black women. Hair is such an integral part of physical beauty for women. Our hair is so different from Asian and Caucasian women and Indian women. It is important to have knowledge of our hair. Because once you KNOW, you can authentically and genuinely celebrate the true beauty of afro-hair at a profound and deep level. That support, encouragement and validation are hard to find outside of spaces like this.

Yet, it is because of spaces like this, you see so many women with afro-textured hair from Brazil, to Columbia, to Nigeria, to Ghana celebrating their natural, afro-textured hair. And of course black American women.

Secret sharing time, outside of America, I can often tell and know when a woman is African American, just by looking at her and how she holds herself and moves in the world.

No one moves like us. No one. I am not talking about just physical movement. I am talking about presence, aura and the inner fortitude that black women from America, who EMBRACE their black American-ness, do. It's an incredible sight to behold and to experience. Guess what, other people(s) see it, too.

Chicoro

Smaller sections are good. They can help minimize breakage and to notice the details as you take your time. This sounds like a perfect blow dry session to me. Does hot water work better for you than cool or room temperature? I think the two-hour timeframe is a reasonable one, especially with the results you describe. Also, do you blow dry before the 2-step treatment to prevent tangles or for any other special reason?

Yes to testing the limits, Yes to 8-week thrive intervals. Yes to no tugging snagging, pressing, pain, or stress during the process!

Letting the shampoo sit on the hair for a while really helps to get the full use out of it. Another "yes" to hair breakthroughs on realizing the benefits of teh smaller sections. Your schedule sounds good, but watch out there now! With all that babied hair and breakthroughs, the length and thickness may wow you come December!
Yes, to all of this!

I wash and blow dry my hair FIRST. Then, I do the Aphogee 2 Step Treatment to protect it after the heat styling. I have not done my Aphogee 2 Step Treatment yet. I will probably do it today. Right, now it's the next day, Tuesday, in France where I am.

It truly is the little things that can create giant shifts. I never coated my hair roots/bantus with shampoo prior to your mentioning it and I never took the time to blow dry such tiny sections.

I never thought ENOUGH of my hair and myself to take such 'painstaking' time with my hair due to impatience. Now, all of that has begun to shift. I have been on this hair journey for a long, long, long time. The more I heal inside, the more I notice shifts in my hair care processes.

Yes! to the thicker and lovelier hair in December. Sneak. Up. On. Me. hair and be FABULOUS come December!

Chicoro

@Chicoro You washed your hair immediately after spending 2 hours blow drying it? That is true dedication to your hair. You didn’t want to wear it blown out for a few days?
No, I don't want to wear it out. I would need to flat iron or ideally, hot comb it to make it wearable, for me.

I have not washed it yet. I will re-wash it today. I have always done this. Even when I would pay to get my hair done, I would either come home and wash it right away, or I would wash it within days of getting it done.

I feel 'safe' and I feel like my hair is 'safe' in braids. I love braids and buns. I like my hair straight but when it is pressed with a straightening comb after the blow dry. For me, since I've only done a blow-dry , it's not really 'fully done' hair.

Also, I am blowing it to just check the health of my ends and the length. I really had no intention of wearing it out. I didn't even photograph my hair. My goal is to have super healthy ends. Damaged ends have been the bane of my hair existence since the beginning of my 'conscious' formal embarkment onto my hair journey.

It's part of how I curate and give care to my hair. Lastly, my daily hair care is about three (3) minutes per day, per week. I hardly spend any time on my hair. So, I 've got lots of hair time to dedicate to my hair at times like these since I am rarely touching my hair over the week or month.

Chicoro

The way she is blow drying is what I thought I needed to do. My reasoning was, if I gain and hone my skills, I SHOULD be able to master this technique and get my hair straight. Her hair came out gorgeous.

The caution:
Know thyself. So YOU can enjoy your hair.

I released this idea this year and to reiterate, the comb attachment and small sections blown one at time, is the path for me to have a successful blow out AND necessary for me to enjoy my hair.

Know thyself.

Chicoro

Here is my raw, blow dried hair. I had already wet the top. It is very dry looking and wispy. Again, this is because it is 'not finished hair'. It it not flat ironed or pressed in this photo. The blow dry was simply to get it straight enough to trim, not to wear it out.

I am posting a picture because now, I think I will not be straightening again until December 2024.

I can go up to nine (9) months without trimming, historically and do okay. So that's what I am going to do. Unless, I change my mind again.

HairMarch 12th 2024 A.jpeg