The left side of my hair wont stop breaking!

Qualitee

The left side of my hair really needs to get over itself! No matter what I do the left side wont stop breaking, but the right side isnt breaking that much or none at all. I tried hard protein treatments, protein conditioner,moisturizing conditioner, moisturizing everyday. Everything! and it wont stop breaking. The right side is doing fine and its much fuller the the left. I dont know what to do anymore. I comb out each side today. The right side had a dime amount of hair and the left had a quater amount of not only shed hair but broken hair too:wallbash: I almost cried.:nono:Help!

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
How often do you dc? How long do you dc and do you use heat?

What conditioners do you dc with? How often do you moisturize and what do you use?

miami74

Could you be sleeping too much on that side? If so, try to sleep in another position. Also, make sure you are balancing moisture and protein properly. Don't use too much protein and when you do, always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. And make sure you keep your hair moisturized daily. Other than that, you'll have to baby that side of your hair until it recovers. Good luck!

naturalgurl

Could you be sleeping too much on that side? If so, try to sleep in another position. Also, make sure you are balancing moisture and protein properly. Don't use too much protein and when you do, always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. And make sure you keep your hair moisturized daily. Other than that, you'll have to baby that side of your hair until it recovers. Good luck!
Took the words right out of my mouth...

Qualitee

How often do you dc? I dc once a week

How long do you dc and do you use heat? I dc for at least 30 mins to 1 hour

What conditioners do you dc with? I use Neutrogena triple moisture, Paul MitchellSuper Strong Treatment or aphogee 2 min..........(used it today and added two eggs)

How often do you moisturize and what do you use? Gurl I been using Hawaiian silky for two weeks now and I really love it.:giggle: & I use Elasta QP Mango butter.

This is the 2nd week i've been trying to air dry and my bun is wet most of the time.

Qualitee

I sleep on all side. I most sleep on my right!:lol::nono: Thank you I will try:yep:

What protective styles are you doing if any?
I bun 99% of the time. I hardly wear my hair out.
Took the words right out of my mouth...
I dont think thats the problem:nono:

bermudabeauty

I have several questions:
-Did you recently have a child?

If you do sleep on the left side...
-Do you sleep with a scaf at night where it is tied on the left side?
-Do you sleep with any clips in your hair.
-Do you wrap your hair...and if so do you begin your wrap on the left side?

Qualitee

As my hair grows, it gets thinner at the ends.:ohwell: This is a pic of the back for my hair. Not my whole head of hair. This doesnt do the probelm justice. Its really bad :cry:
My 6 months progress pic. Late June to Dec

tiffers

Woo hoo! Another 14 in 1 lover! :yay:

:lachen:

I :heart: that stuff so much!!!

Okay, on with business :giggle: ......

Those conditioners you listed all have protein in them, I'm pretty sure the NTM one does too. You need moisture, girl!

I've also seen a few ladies who had epiphanies and realized that they unknowingly were tougher and a tad bit neglectful to one side of their head. Rougher combing and brushing, not using enough conditioner and moisturizer on that particular side. Maybe this is what's going on. If you're right handed, your right hand is naturally stronger than the left. So when you brush the right side of your head, without knowing it, you brush it way harder and rougher than you do the left side.

Just a thought :)

Qualitee

I know i read on here that garlic in capsule or conditioners should stop breakage.
I heard about it .Im going to look into it thanks:)

I have several questions:
-Did you recently have a child? no:nono:

If you do sleep on the left side...
-Do you sleep with a scaf at night where it is tied on the left side?
I sleep with a silk scaf at night. I tie it in the front.
-Do you sleep with any clips in your hair.Nope:nono:
-Do you wrap your hair...and if so do you begin your wrap on the left side?
I use to wrap my hair. But I not anymore right now. I use to wap from the right side:perplexed
Thanks ladies

ackee walk

Just popping in to say I empathize. I have this issue too and have yet to figure out what it is.

I especially have a problem with my left nape. I didn't relax my left nape the last time because I figured relaxing it wouldn't help any. And as it grows out I am realizing that I have a whole different texture on my left side than I do my right. The hair on the left side of my head is naturally finer than the right and, in many places, baby soft. My plan is to just start treating the left side differently-- being extra careful when I comb, not relaxing it as often, moisturizing like crazy, etc. I hope this works.

I don't know if this might be the issue with your left side too but whatever it is, I hope you figure it out soon.

Qualitee

Woo hoo! Another 14 in 1 lover! :yay:

:lachen:

I :heart: that stuff so much!!!

Okay, on with business :giggle: ......

Those conditioners you listed all have protein in them, I'm pretty sure the NTM one does too. You need moisture, girl!

I've also seen a few ladies who had epiphanies and realized that they unknowingly were tougher and a tad bit neglectful to one side of their head. Rougher combing and brushing, not using enough conditioner and moisturizer on that particular side. Maybe this is what's going on. If you're right handed, your right hand is naturally stronger than the left. So when you brush the right side of your head, without knowing it, you brush it way harder and rougher than you do the left side.

Just a thought :)
14 in 1 is ssoooo hot. I have the mango butter and 14 in 1 on my dresser and I swear my mango butter has dust on it:lachen:Thanks for sharing this good moisturizer:hug2:

But anyway...........What NTM has protein in it?! OMG are you serious!! Im so mad now!!!! But is says moisture!! IDK wow. So whats a good moisture conditner(s)? I cant believe this:nono:

Last edited:

Qualitee

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behenyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Sweet Almond Oil (prunus amygdalis dulcis), Olive Fruit Oil (olea europaea), Meadowfoam Seed Oil (limnanthes alba), Glycol Stearate, Ceteth 2, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Mica, Fragrance

Where is the protein? :cry:

tiffers

LOL! That crying face makes me laugh every time I see it! :lol:

Okay, I was mistaken, no protein in the NTM :) It has a hellufa lot of cones though! I'm all for cones, but sheesh!

Okay, anywho.... Hmmm.... Are you on birth control? Maybe the extra hormones?

Right now I am head over heals in love with GVP Conditioning Balm. Dare I say, it's the best conditioner I've ever tried! :shocked:

Qualitee

LOL! That crying face makes me laugh every time I see it! :lol:

Okay, I was mistaken, no protein in the NTM :) It has a hellufa lot of cones though! I'm all for cones, but sheesh!

Okay, anywho.... Hmmm.... Are you on birth control? Maybe the extra hormones?

Right now I am head over heals in love with GVP Conditioning Balm. Dare I say, it's the best conditioner I've ever tried! :shocked:
Maybe it is the cones. My hair loves cones but I do agree thats alot! no birth contorl for me.:nono: And now that you told me I think I need more moisture:yep: Im about to go to sallys and get some GVP products! Im broke now because of you. thanks Tiffers!!:lachen:I hope its the moisture though:perplexed

tiffers

I sure hope moisture fixes the problem too!!! :crossfingers:

Oooh, whatcha gonna get from Sally's??? :grin:

I stay on Sally's website scouring the GVP line to make sure they don't have anything that I missed! :look:

Chevelure618

Hey Tanisha, I was just about to post because I've been having the EXACT same problem only on the other side. My left side is beautiful...thick and strong. My right side has always been a little thinner, but I've noticed short strands in the sink only when I comb this side. No matter what I've done in the last couple weeks, it won't stop.

Then I was reading all the posts and I realized that I've been using too many products just because I've been reading about them on this board. i was on an aphogee kick, then a Mango Butter kick. Anyway, I KNOW that UBH conditioner and moisturizer is mystaple.

So, last night I literally stripped my hair until it squeaked. I wouldn't dare try to even finger comb it. Then I DC with UBH conditioner. 40 mins under the Gold N Hot, then Moisturizer with UBH moisturizer. Then sealed. That's it.

The last two days I've seen MUCH less breakage.

I THINK I WAS PROTEIN OVERLOADED FROM ALL THE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS I WAS TRYING.

I've learned to stick to a tried and true regimen and to err on the side of MOISTURE.

nitavcc

Hello Tanisha,

I was having the same problem, except on the other side.. I realized that I really needed more moisture, as I started to use megatek, - ( and it does thicken up my roots and speed growth).

I just decided to trim the "straggelees" ( thats what i call those ends), and I have been adding castor oil to my trimmed ends every night....
I thought it would be overly greasy, but believe it or not, the next day, my ends just feel moisturized, not greasy at all..

Previously, I was using conditioners etc, but I did not give special attention to the ends....

Since I have trimmed them and am adding castor oil to the ends nightly.. I hardly notice any split ends..

You may have to trim some of your ends though, as there is no way to get that broken hair back..:perplexed

Im just trying to give you a preventive tip..

Qualitee

I sure hope moisture fixes the problem too!!! :crossfingers:

Oooh, whatcha gonna get from Sally's??? :grin:

I stay on Sally's website scouring the GVP line to make sure they don't have anything that I missed! :look:
I want to get the "paul Mitchell" stuff:lachen::look:

Qualitee

Could you have damaged your scalp on that side recently? Are you relaxed? Do you start your relaxers on that side?
Nope, Make scalp is healthy. I dont kep the relaxer on for that long. Plus I add oil to my relaxer.....Thanks:grin:

Hey Tanisha, I was just about to post because I've been having the EXACT same problem only on the other side. My left side is beautiful...thick and strong. My right side has always been a little thinner, but I've noticed short strands in the sink only when I comb this side. No matter what I've done in the last couple weeks, it won't stop.

Then I was reading all the posts and I realized that I've been using too many products just because I've been reading about them on this board. i was on an aphogee kick, then a Mango Butter kick. Anyway, I KNOW that UBH conditioner and moisturizer is mystaple.

So, last night I literally stripped my hair until it squeaked. I wouldn't dare try to even finger comb it. Then I DC with UBH conditioner. 40 mins under the Gold N Hot, then Moisturizer with UBH moisturizer. Then sealed. That's it.

The last two days I've seen MUCH less breakage.

I THINK I WAS PROTEIN OVERLOADED FROM ALL THE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS I WAS TRYING.

I've learned to stick to a tried and true regimen and to err on the side of MOISTURE.
Everything that you said in bold is what I think is going on with me. too much protein and to many cones:nono: Thanks for sharing. Glad Im not the only one! ((hugs))
Hello Tanisha,

I was having the same problem, except on the other side.. I realized that I really needed more moisture, as I started to use megatek, - ( and it does thicken up my roots and speed growth).

I just decided to trim the "straggelees" ( thats what i call those ends), and I have been adding castor oil to my trimmed ends every night....
I thought it would be overly greasy, but believe it or not, the next day, my ends just feel moisturized, not greasy at all..

Previously, I was using conditioners etc, but I did not give special attention to the ends....

Since I have trimmed them and am adding castor oil to the ends nightly.. I hardly notice any split ends..

You may have to trim some of your ends though, as there is no way to get that broken hair back..:perplexed

Im just trying to give you a preventive tip..
Thats what I think I need also Moisture Moisture Moisture. And my end do need a trim but I wont do it until June. Thanks for letting me know. I dont feel alone now. :needhug:

lexi84

Tanisha, this has been my problem my whole life. The hair on the left side of my ENTIRE body grows in rougher and more coarse than the right side. Sounds freakish, I know :lachen: Anyway, the hair on my head was the same way except it broke constantly, it was much shorter than the right, and the ends were always "fro-ish". I finally, after dealing with this for my whole life, was able to see a difference after not wrapping my hair for 6 months. It evened out and I was fairly surprised at how well the left side bounced back.

All the advice given in this thread is very good, but I've tried it all and nothing worked until I stopped wrapping my hair. I am super good at balancing moisture and protein. I sleep on all sides, I moisturize everyday...sometimes twice a day, I wear protective styles and rarely use heat. I've tried it all. Nothing worked until I stopped wrapping my hair. HTH!

Last edited:

Qualitee

Tanisha, this has been my problem my whole life. The hair on the left side of my whole body grows our rougher and more coarse than the right side. I finally, after dealing with this for my whole life, was able to see a difference after not wrapping my hair for 6 months straight. It evened out and I was fairly surprised at how well the left side bounced back.

All the advice given in this thread is very good, but I've tried it all and nothing worked until I stopped wrapping my hair. HTH!
Thank you doll! I dont think wrapping is my problem, but Im so glad you found a solution!!!:grin:

TaurusAngel

Tanisha, i had this issue too. Get you a nice trim and get on the moisture train stat!!!!!!! I would also look into the steam treatments. Give your hair some TLC. You will be okay. :)

Artemis

Tanisha, can you describe the broken hairs in more detail, please? Get one of your broken hairs and give it a gentle tug. Does it stretch, then break? Or does it snap immediately? How long are the broken hairs? Do the same tug with a shed hair, too, and report back.

Also, maybe you could try a different protective style? Maybe your left side is saying it is too through w/buns for right now? Or maybe change the placement of the bun? What are you using to secure the bun? You mentioned you were wearing wet hair for awhile, so I wanted to get more details a/b that...

Qualitee

Tanisha, i had this issue too. Get you a nice trim and get on the moisture train stat!!!!!!! I would also look into the steam treatments. Give your hair some TLC. You will be okay. :)
Yeah I researching some moisture conditioners right now:) I think Im using too much cones too:sad: Thanks you:grin:

Tanisha, can you describe the broken hairs in more detail, please? Get one of your broken hairs and give it a gentle tug. Does it stretch, then break? Or does it snap immediately? How long are the broken hairs? Do the same tug with a shed hair, too, and report back.

Also, maybe you could try a different protective style? Maybe your left side is saying it is too through w/buns for right now? Or maybe change the placement of the bun? What are you using to secure the bun? You mentioned you were wearing wet hair for awhile, so I wanted to get more details a/b that...
The broken hairs are different lengths from 1/2-3 inches:wallbash:.When I pull on it, it breaks:nono:My shed hair is pretty strong. When I pull on it ,it takes long a long time to snap and when it does it makes a long snap sound( if that makes any sense):drunk:. I wear buns everyday. I just started air drying. This is my second week at it. So my bun is still wet. I wear buns all of the time. IDK if it is the bunning but time will tell. I want to try this out for atleast 3 months and see what happens. Thank you Artemis for trying to help me (((hugs))):yep:

Artemis

Yeah I researching some moisture conditioners right now:) I think Im using too much cones too:sad: Thanks you:grin:

The broken hairs are different lengths from 1/2-3 inches:wallbash:.When I pull on it, it breaks:nono:My shed hair is pretty strong. When I pull on it ,it takes long a long time to snap and when it does it makes a long snap sound( if that makes any sense):drunk:. I wear buns everyday. I just started air drying. This is my second week at it. So my bun is still wet. I wear buns all of the time. IDK if it is the bunning but time will tell. I want to try this out for atleast 3 months and see what happens. Thank you Artemis for trying to help me (((hugs))):yep:

If it's breaking immediately, with no stretch before doing so, it's a moisture issue. Maybe try clarifying again and using a different dc. Something without a lot of filler oils in it (like Kenra MC or PMSC). Sometimes some "moisturizing" products have so much stuff in them, that they don't really moisturize...they just appear to do so. It's going to take more than one treatment to fix it. If you do use anything with protein in it, it needs to be on the low end, and at the minimum frequency. You do need some protein (that helps the moisture stay in the hair) but just don't use a medium/strong one right now. When you dc, be sure to apply more conditioner to the left side after a few minutes, just to focus on that area, since it's more sensitive than the other hair.

Keep us posted. I hate that this is going on for you. ((hugs))