The left side of my hair wont stop breaking!

Qualitee

If it's breaking immediately, with no stretch before doing so, it's a moisture issue. Maybe try clarifying again and using a different dc. Something without a lot of filler oils in it (like Kenra MC or PMSC). Sometimes some "moisturizing" products have so much stuff in them, that they don't really moisturize...they just appear to do so. It's going to take more than one treatment to fix it. If you do use anything with protein in it, it needs to be on the low end, and at the minimum frequency. You do need some protein (that helps the moisture stay in the hair) but just don't use a medium/strong one right now. When you dc, be sure to apply more conditioner to the left side after a few minutes, just to focus on that area, since it's more sensitive than the other hair.

Keep us posted. I hate that this is going on for you. ((hugs))
Thats what I was planning on doing clarifying and then using a really good moisturizing conditioner.:) I cant believe the NTM did this to my hair. I thought it was doing my hair good:nono:Im going to use aphogee hard protein in 3 weeks because I getting a relaxer on Jan. 14th. But besides that no protein for me:nono:. I used protein every 6 weeks and used moisture cons btwn those weeks and it worked fine for me. I use nexxus volumizing leave -in. I think ithas protein in it. Do you know of any leave-ins with none?Im going to start doing it agian because it really worked out for me:yep: Thank you again for helping me I really appreciate it!!!!!!:hug2:

Eisani

Could you be sleeping too much on that side? If so, try to sleep in another position.
I have an issue w/my left side being thinner than my right and I'm a hardcore left side sleeper. Even if I'm on my stomach, I'm lying on the left side of my head. I've tried lying on the right but, this may sound strange, I seem to get nauseous when I do :ohwell:. I whipped out the Bee Mine and I'm going to start taking vitamins to see if this helps. I'm reviewing my diet too to see where I can make some adjustments.

Have you tried Dr. Miracle products? The oil works extremely well and you will see immediate results the nape and scalp conditioner is awesome too. But the leave in conditioner left my hair dry, I am natural for now and wear weaves and braids. :drunk:

Artemis

Thats what I was planning on doing clarifying and then using a really good moisturizing conditioner.:) I cant believe the NTM did this to my hair. I thought it was doing my hair good:nono:Im going to use aphogee hard protein in 3 weeks because I getting a relaxer on Jan. 14th. But besides that no protein for me:nono:. I used protein every 6 weeks and used moisture cons btwn those weeks and it worked fine for me. I use nexxus volumizing leave -in. I think ithas protein in it. Do you know of any leave-ins with none?Im going to start doing it agian because it really worked out for me:yep: Thank you again for helping me I really appreciate it!!!!!!:hug2:

Yeah, the intentions of NTM are noble, but it's not good for every hair type. I didn't like it on my hair. Water and silicones only just doing don't it for me, just like water and mineral oil don't do it for me. But some ppl are lucky like that :ohwell:

Aphogee in 3 wks should be ok, but just stick w/moisture-based products until then (and don't forget your moisturizing dc session immediately afterwards). Notice I said moisture-based, not protein-free. Some types of protein help the moisture to stay in the hair, so it's a necessary part of your product/regimen (hair is made of mostly proteins anyways). So no worries :) I can look up the ingredients for the Nexxus, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine...My HG moisture leave-in is PM The Conditioner (straight up moisture in a bottle) I keep a liter on hand. That should definitely help. I also am liking a random product from my old natural days--Allways Natural Instant Oil moisturizer leave-in. I think it's the only basic lotion oil moisturizer I've seen that doesn't have mineral oil in it. I like it for my ends. And it's cheap:grin:

Last edited:

Artemis

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_types/conditioner/sl_headress_volumizing_leave-in_conditioner_3.html

Water (Aqua), Panthenol, Cetyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Keratin Amino Acids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligo-saccharide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Magnesium Citrate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Stearalkonium Chloride, Peg-75 Lanolin, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Polysorbate 60, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

This is a pretty standard leave-in for properly balanced hair (just with added thickeners). How does your hair feel when you apply it?

Qualitee

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_types/conditioner/sl_headress_volumizing_leave-in_conditioner_3.html

Water (Aqua), Panthenol, Cetyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Keratin Amino Acids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligo-saccharide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Magnesium Citrate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Stearalkonium Chloride, Peg-75 Lanolin, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Polysorbate 60, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

This is a pretty standard leave-in for properly balanced hair (just with added thickeners). How does your hair feel when you apply it?
My hair feels great when I use it!:grin::grin:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

How often do you dc? I dc once a week

How long do you dc and do you use heat? I dc for at least 30 mins to 1 hour

What conditioners do you dc with? I use Neutrogena triple moisture, Paul MitchellSuper Strong Treatment or aphogee 2 min..........(used it today and added two eggs)

How often do you moisturize and what do you use? Gurl I been using Hawaiian silky for two weeks now and I really love it.:giggle: & I use Elasta QP Mango butter.

This is the 2nd week i've been trying to air dry and my bun is wet most of the time.

Switch to Emergencee for the hard protein because you can use it more often. Aphogee is for every 6 weeks! I think that's why it's breaking under normal handling.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I use the GVP version of PM Conditioner and like it! I loooove using it and then sealing with GVP Skinny Serum.

Artemis, have you tried Sally's GVP Conditioner?

Artemis

I use the GVP version of PM Conditioner and like it! I loooove using it and then sealing with GVP Skinny Serum.

Artemis, have you tried Sally's GVP Conditioner?

Hmm, a long while ago, when I was natural. I tried it cuz figured it was just like the regular product, but my natural hair hated it :nono: Oddly enough, maybe a yr or so later I bought the actual PM version, and it became my HG :look:

I use the PM skinny serum for my rollersets. I love it so much, I haven't gotten to trying out my other serums, because I just hate the thought of the set not turning out perfect. :lol: That's the bad thing about finding those true-blue products that always deliver--the other stuff gets neglected.

Ah, cry a river for the whiny PJ :lachen:

Oh, and Tanisha when you get back on track, you should check out Motions CPR Reconstructor (in the bottle not that G-d awful jar:ohwell:) for regular protein/moisture treatment. I have baby fine hair and I am using it weekly right now, and seriously I am watching my hair retain length. :yep: Big up to Pokahontas for mentioning this in a thread a long long time ago. IMO it's better than Affirm 5n1...

Qualitee

Hmm, a long while ago, when I was natural. I tried it cuz figured it was just like the regular product, but my natural hair hated it :nono: Oddly enough, maybe a yr or so later I bought the actual PM version, and it became my HG :look:

I use the PM skinny serum for my rollersets. I love it so much, I haven't gotten to trying out my other serums, because I just hate the thought of the set not turning out perfect. :lol: That's the bad thing about finding those true-blue products that always deliver--the other stuff gets neglected.

Ah, cry a river for the whiny PJ :lachen:

Oh, and Tanisha when you get back on track, you should check out Motions CPR Reconstructor (in the bottle not that G-d awful jar:ohwell:) for regular protein/moisture treatment. I have baby fine hair and I am using it weekly right now, and seriously I am watching my hair retain length. :yep: Big up to Pokahontas for mentioning this in a thread a long long time ago. IMO it's better than Affirm 5n1...
My hair hates Motions.........thanks for telling me though. Im glad it works for you:grin:

Artemis

My hair hates Motions.........thanks for telling me though. Im glad it works for you:grin:

You know what? Mine does too, but for some reason, this one is the only one by them that doesn't suck beyond belief :lachen:Trust me, my hair and I were both surprised...:drunk:

tiffers

Artemis, I read what you wrote in my thread about finding your staple products.....

The Joico serum, is it better than Skinny Serum? Does it add more shine?

For a leave in, I'm torn between Joico Daily Moisture Detangler, Paul Mitchell Moisture Mist and Kenra Daily Provision... Have you tried the PM Mist or Kenra leave in?

I know you like Joico Detangler, how does it compare to PM The Conditioner? Does it add slip?

(sorry to hijack Tanisha, but I gotsta know these things! :lol: )

Qualitee

You know what? Mine does too, but for some reason, this one is the only one by them that doesn't suck beyond belief :lachen:Trust me, my hair and I were both surprised...:drunk:
really........Im going to look at the ingredients when I go to the bss:yep:

Qualitee

Artemis, I read what you wrote in my thread about finding your staple products.....

For a leave in, I'm torn between Joico Daily Moisture Detangler, Paul Mitchell Moisture Mist and Kenra Daily Provision... Have you tried the PM Mist or Kenra leave in?

I know you like Joico Detangler, how does it compare to PM The Conditioner? Does it add slip?

Gurl its ok. I want to know too:lachen:

Artemis

:lol:

Serums: Joico v. PM
Ok, I guess I see them very differently. Joico has all the good stuff in it :lick: Human hair keratin, macadamia nut oil...On the packaging it says it actually moisturizes :look: I use it before dry/saran wrapping, and it's bling, bling plus soft :grin:

PM SS is like the workhorse of my rollerset. IMO its just straight silicone, no chaser that helps me to dry quickly and seal in all the other conditioning I put in (it does have some good ingred. in it, but not like Joico)

So if you had to pick one just on shine, Joico wins--not by much though. (You do get more for your money w/PMSS though)

Leave-ins
Out of the 3, I've used Kenra and Joico. I like Joico better. More slip. Kenra is good in its own right, but I dunno, I just though my hair would be more soft upon application. I noticed its benefits only after hair dried and long-term (sunscreen!). Joico is both instant and long-term gratification for my hair.

Joico Detangler v. PM The Conditioner
Frankly I'd use them for different seasons of my hair, but I do rotate them. If you need something during stretching time, I noticed that some ppls hair has to adjust to PM, but over time, PM is really good for that esp if you have different hair types on one head. For rollersetting its good for giving just a little weight/control. The real slip will only come after adding the serum, though. This product is all about adding moisture.

I'm using Joico right now (only bought it recently) and it leaves the hair lighter (as in not weighed down), but that's b/c it's a spray. I notice good slip immediately. Adding serum makes it divine.:yep:

I think that a/b covers it...right :drunk: Thanks for asking my opinion, I could talk Joico and PM all day :lachen:

tiffers

Thanks so much, Artemis!!!! That was very informative and helpful :grin: I heard that Kenra doesn't feel to great when wet, but you feel the benefits when dry. I need my instant slippy gratification! :lachen:

I didn't even want these things till I saw you talkin about them! :lol: *adds Joico leave in and serum to X-Mas list*

tiffers

Oh, and might I add that I'm gonna be getting PM SC and Joico Moisture Recovery Balm because of you and gym! I've been feenin for some because you two talk about them a lot, and I want em!! I'll finally be getting some for Christmas! :yay:

Do they give slip? Which do you like better? Do they smell good? (since you can talk about PM and Joico all day, I though I'd ask more questions :giggle: )

Artemis

Oh, and might I add that I'm gonna be getting PM SC and Joico Moisture Recovery Balm because of you and gym! I've been feenin for some because you two talk about them a lot, and I want em!! I'll finally be getting some for Christmas! :yay:

Do they give slip? Which do you like better? Do they smell good? (since you can talk about PM and Joico all day, I though I'd ask more questions :giggle: )

When I first started using PMSC, I didn't notice the slip, but over time my hair responded better with it (Joico reconstructed my hair, so the cuticles lay flat and I feel everything on the hair shaft now). But the pure moisture it provides makes up for it completely. It's just a really good product :yep: It literally fixes dry hair.

Gym can give you a better review of Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm. I tried one tube of it, and at the time it was too heavy for me. Great product, but thicker than PMSC, and my hair responded better to the Treatment Lotion. I may try the balm again now that my hair has more girth :look: to it, haha. But if you like thick dcs, Joico is really good.

I actually don't do too much moisture-based dc-ing lately b/c my hair can become overmoisturized easily, but these are both excellent depending on what you need them for.

Dommo

Before trying any more products, you should see what's going on internally. If you've tried all of these products and nothing seems to be working, it might be an underlying issue. Hope everything works out.

tiffers

Treatment Lotion you say? :scratchch

I'm bout to go check that out! See, you are NOT good for the pockets! :lol: So is the Treatment Lotion moisturizing, just lighter than the Treatment Balm?

I need lots of moisture, my hair's been lacking elasticity lately :perplexed