The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

sassyhair

I raise my hand to join the club!

End of Dec.- Relaxer with Optimum multi-mineral regular
Jan. 6 - Sew-in ( Wear weave for up to 6 weeks with tightening after 3 weeks)
MTG 2 times a week
Wash 1 time a week (suave clarifying shampoo on scalp, and nexxus therapee on hair)
Conditon (1)* time a week (Nexxus Humectress)
Deep condition Bi-weekly ( Nexxus Keraphix)
Flat Iron and pin curl w/ redken heatglide

Every three to five months- relax ( give hair 2 week break in between weaves, and 1 week break before relaxer)
Use sulphur 8 regularly during break.

Could anyone help me with deciding what to leave-in my hair and weave before I blowdry?

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

I think I will join this challenge but I will be alternating between weaves and braids (c&g method) in o6. I will be weaving it up myself as well to save some money. I found a great site that sells instructional videos I will be ordering in Jan. www.hairtogo.8m.com the styles are hot and he even has hair cutting and styling videos too! I can't wait! BTW, can someone reccommend the best type of hair to get, that's not ubber expensive and looks realistic and won't tangle up on a sista? TIA!:)

simone103

Godsway said:
I just have a few questions for you girls on maintaining the hair left out and the hair underneath. Do you guys straighten the new growth of the hair that is left out? I have been straightening my new growth and was recently wondering if this was damaging? As well, I usually moisturize the braids underneath with some kind of braid spray. How often do you guys moisturize the braids underneath and with what?

Do you use a relaxer or a flat-iron to straighten the newgrowth? I flat-iron the newgrowth of the hair that's left out, and I haven't noticed any breakage as a result of doing so. I use sta-sof-fro gel to moisturize the braids underneath. But I don't do this very often (maybe twice the entire time I have the weave) because my scalp produces a lot of oil as it is, and it just causes more buildup if I do it too often.

sassyhair

Alli77 said:
I think I will join this challenge but I will be alternating between weaves and braids (c&g method) in o6. I will be weaving it up myself as well to save some money. I found a great site that sells instructional videos I will be ordering in Jan. www.hairtogo.8m.com the styles are hot and he even has hair cutting and styling videos too! I can't wait! BTW, can someone reccommend the best type of hair to get, that's not ubber expensive and looks realistic and won't tangle up on a sista? TIA!:)

I would try sensationnel or milky way, no hair is completely tangle free.

glamazon386

Alli77 said:

I use Outre New Yaki and it holds up pretty good even through washing.

sassyhair

I apply the condition to my whole head, But I only DEEP condition when I remove the weave, I leave a conditioner on my head only for the duration of a shower when wearing a weave.

Godsway

Simone 103 I usually just straighten the new growth with an electric pressing comb or flat irons.
I will try the sta sof fro as well. thanks!!!!!

SweetNic_JA

I recommend that you DON'T relax your entire head. The purpose of the sew-in is to allow your tresses to rest. If you aren't doing a full sew-in simply touchup the areas that will be exposed and leave the rest of your hair alone.
Also, be sure to keep the goal in sight. You'll be wearing the weave to protect your own hair so, don't let it sacrifice so that your weave can look tight all day er'y day :). Be sure to wash and condition your cornrowed hair underneath. Your hair will thank you for it!

bluediamond0829

okay when i had some doubt of rather i was going to be able to get my sew in done correctly i found someone that did it right...i have a full head sew in with no hair out...i perfer it that way so that i dont have to worry about my hair not looking just like the weave.... :)

determine3

I have a full head sew-in and i'm loving it right now!!! It was bone straight and I didn't like it a first (i don't suit that bone straight look) but now I twist it at night (2 strand or bantu knots) while a bit damp and in the morning bam!! I wake up to nice waves. I use my flat iron to curl the ends of the weave under to give it a nicer look! I have been getting compliments like crazy....I'm excited because i really need to leave my hair alone and out of sight for a while because the whole hair growing process was getting me down. I still use MTG by applying between the rows..row by row and plan to deep condition weekly.

Oh, here's a tip from my friend who's a hairdresser who's weave always looks so tight. She says to wrap your weave at night (you know-brush it in a circular motion around your head and tye it down with a satin scarf) and when you wake up your weave has amazing body and bounce. I did this the first day and it looked amazing. My problem was the "straightness". My face suits big hair...curly..wavy or afro.

glamazon386

Does anyone have problems with the oh so obvious weave frizz? I find that a few hours after I've combed it, it starts to puff a little and look frizzy. I think it might be because I have a lighter color this time. It wasn't as noticeable as it was with the black hair. I remember someone posting something about using spritz and glaze while curling to stop it (I think thats what they said), but now I can't find the thread. I remember one day when I was in the BSS some girl that was working in there was chasing me around with some anti frizz spray for weaves because she said she noticed my hair looked frizzy and I told her to leave me alone. She was being weird. Maybe I shoulda found out the name of that spray, instead. I went to the Dominican Salon last friday and had it washed, set and blown out. I also tried wrapping it at night. But it keeps going right back to the frizz. Any way to remedy this?

asummertyme

i can join this one too..i will be braiding and weaving though...i can do my own partitl weaves but i would like to find a salon where i can get a great sew in full head weave in NY, with reasonable prices...any idea's NY ladies?

asummertyme

Alli77 said:

i may order a video from them..this salon is not far from my house..im gonna call them to see if i can pick up the video from them instead of paying shipping costs..

remnant

:wave: Hi Inspirationnal Ladies of LHCF, I'm a newbie and I would like to participate to the weave challenge too. I will use braids or cornrows style too.

I will try it from january to june 06 first and see results : full head sew-in (3 times), box braids once .
For weaves: 6 weeks×3
For box braids:6weeks×1

Here is my program:
  • Moisturize once a day with my homemade lotion.
  • Oil my kitchen area an my front hairline with a growth lotion (lotion suractivée Miss antilles) and a Phytocroissance serum every other day .
  • Oil my hair under the weave twice a week with my homemade pomade or others oils (olive, monoï, carrot).
  • Once by week : Cowash with diluted conditionner in a spray.
  • Shampoo and deep conditionning every 6 weeks after removing weaves or other style.
  • Get the style redone immediately after airdrying.

Attachments

• dec05.jpg
    dec05.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

bee

How does the malaysian method work? Can u really do all the things w/ that weave as if it were your own hair? I read that your own hair is out so how does that method protect your hair? Have any of u ladies tried this method?

Nita81

I will join this challenge as well. I started wearing sew-in's since late July. My hair is really thriving. :)

Nita81

My sew-in routine

1. Very light relaxer processing(I'll leave it for 10 mins just to loosen the curl a bit)
2. Sew-in....leave the top out for parting(Leave sew-in for 6-8 weeks)
3. Spray in between braids with Giovanni's leave in and/or oil blend(depends on how I feel)
4. Wash w/ poo every other week (mix shampoo and water in a spray bottle)
5. Condition weekly (mix conditioner and water in a spray bottle)
6. Rollerset left out hair.
7. Flat iron left out hair weekly

cutebajangirl

Bmore-What kind of hair do you have in?

Asummertyme- I am checking out a new place on Wednesday. I will let you what I think of the stylist with pics.

glamazon386

cutebajangirl said:
Bmore-What kind of hair do you have in?

Outre New Yaki. It's starting to get on my nerves though. I always get tired of the straight hair after a while. I have some curly hair at home. I'm gonna see if I can get it sewed in when I get back from Florida next week.

asummertyme

thnx cutebajan..lemme know..i wanna get a weave at the beggining of the year..but i may buy that video so i can learn to do a full heAD MYSELF..

asummertyme

the guy from hairtogo called me and he said that i would be unable to puck up a video from the salon, its a mail order company..ahh well..ima order it for my xmas gift to myself..

Healthb4Length

asummertyme said:
the guy from hairtogo called me and he said that i would be unable to puck up a video from the salon, its a mail order company..ahh well..ima order it for my xmas gift to myself..

Thanks for letting me know! I guess I'll just bite the bullet in order the collection for kinky hair.

asummertyme

i ordered it girly..its buy ine get one free..i ordered the micro lace and the intrablend..hope it doesnt take 4ever to get it..lemme know when u ordre urs..

XXXtacy

Got my Weave Today!!!:bdance:

I used remy hair today. It matched my 4a perfectly. I would highly suggest using that hair. Looking Good Baby!!!

My program:
-Wear this weave for 8 weeks
-Use MTG Solution (2x a week) - Looking for a solution to cut down the smell. I didnt notice it but other people do. :perplexed
-Wash every 10 - 14 days with Clarifying shampoo
-Tie up at night or any other time I am not out and about
-Take some vitamins (Havent decided which ones and probably wont start until the second weave)
-Pray

How does the WGO smell? Should I use that instead of the MTG??

bluediamond0829

im really scared to use anykind of oil(WGO) especially on my hair...because the last time i had got my weave put in..and tied my weave and hair up..the next morning my hair was so oily because of the WGO...and i had to shampoo the weave...and by the way the lady sewed my weave in its kind of hard for me to get to all my hair...so ive been using a mixture of surge/scurl and infusim and sprayin the parts that i can get...i may try putting MTG in a spray bottle and spraying it but not that much...

Healthb4Length

asummertyme said:
i ordered it girly..its buy ine get one free..i ordered the micro lace and the intrablend..hope it doesnt take 4ever to get it..lemme know when u ordre urs..

Will do! I'm thinking of ordering the six series for kinky hair.