The Official 2007 Weave/Extension Challenge

annieup

Count me in ladies. I always wear sew-in's and love them. I just got mine done last night by the Africans. I'll be removing in 8 weeks.

I prefer the Africans when it comes to cornrolling my hair because it LASTS. However, I don't let them style my hair.

Can anyone recommend someone/a salon that layers well?

I will wash my hair once per week (carefully) and sit under the dryer.

Can anyone assist in preventing tangling after washing bss hair?

Here's a tip for everyone. when my weaves start to get a little tankly/frizzy looking. I blow dry it smooth then iron it with a regular iron (Yes, the same one I use for my clothes).....actually i have a second one for this purpose. For some reason, it gets my weaves silky straight when i've had it for a good 2 months and it's time to get a new one in. then i continue on with curling with a curling iron.

Can anyone else give me some tips with maintaining?

Also, I use mousse in the front of my hair to help blend "MY" hair with the weave. this helps to eliminate the use of heat which causes damage.

Last tip, I was at a photoshoot last week and the stylist used this product called Aveda control & paste. This really helped maintained my edges which were 3 months post relaxer (this was before getting my hair done last night).

**Tasha*Love**

BMore do you condition in the shower as well? I got my a full sew in last weekend and washed my hair this past weekend. The hair is from the BSS but it seems to be a little dry and tangly after washing. What are your steps for washing/conditioning and getting the hair to return to its original luster? What products do you use? if any(on the hair)?

Thanks Girl! :)
bmoreflyygirl said:
Welcome annieup! Wash it in the shower and detangle under the stream of water.

glamazon386

Natasha2005 said:
BMore do you condition in the shower as well? I got my a full sew in last weekend and washed my hair this past weekend. The hair is from the BSS but it seems to be a little dry and tangly after washing. What are your steps for washing/conditioning and getting the hair to return to its original luster? What products do you use? if any(on the hair)?

Thanks Girl! :)

I don't use any products on my weave unless I'm flat ironing curly weave straight. Other than that I just wash and deep condition once a week with an ORS pak. But that's more for my hair since that's been my routine for forever. Even when I was relaxed. Wash and DC once a week. I don't want my hair to get dry underneath. I leave the conditioner on for a while and then get back in the shower and rinse it out. There usually isn't any tangles left since the conditioner was left in for a whole.

**Tasha*Love**

Thanks! :) I just did a search (sorry) and I read some of your past post with tips for washing/DC. I think I am going to try the LeKair Shea Cholesterol or either the ORS pak. I think the conditioner will make a big difference next time.
bmoreflyygirl said:
I don't use any products on my weave unless I'm flat ironing curly weave straight. Other than that I just wash and deep condition once a week with an ORS pak. But that's more for my hair since that's been my routine for forever. Even when I was relaxed. Wash and DC once a week. I don't want my hair to get dry underneath. I leave the conditioner on for a while and then get back in the shower and rinse it out. There usually isn't any tangles left since the conditioner was left in for a whole.

candy1214

How are ppl using the clip in weaves on hair that has been cornrowed underneath?

I need to learn to do my own and master the technique, although I have lady who does sew-ins for 70 bucks.

If anyone lives in Alexandria...she's off of route one. Rosemary is her name. She isnt the best, but you get your money's worth.

glamazon386

sassyhair said:
Bmoreflyy..where do you go in town to get your sew-ins done?

I do it myself or I go to an African braid shop near my house. I just called the closest one in the phone book. I also know a girl out near where I went to school in PG County but you have to go to her house. What part of town are you in sassyhair?

dany06

I know it's a little late. I just got my sew-in installed yesterday. You can see them at this link http://public.fotki.com/Dany06/new-year-new-me/
I used indian remy from Halley's Curls in 16" wavy. I flat ironed and curled it. Im two months into my transition and this hair blend pretty well with my new growth. Lets see how long I can handle doing my hair until my next hair appt in 3 weeks.

RoseGolden

dany06 said:
I know it's a little late. I just got my sew-in installed yesterday. You can see them at this link http://public.fotki.com/Dany06/new-year-new-me/
I used indian remy from Halley's Curls in 16" wavy. I flat ironed and curled it. Im two months into my transition and this hair blend pretty well with my new growth. Lets see how long I can handle doing my hair until my next hair appt in 3 weeks.

Oooh that is very pretty. You guys are making me wanna stick with sew in's. I have my first one in right now and I washed & conditioned it for the first time last night and it was a chore lifting up all the tracks to apply shampoo and conditioner and all that! Is that how you all do it - apply products under each track one by one? It took forever. After that I was like this is my last sew-in, but I dunno, I might keep at it.

asummertyme

good going ladies!! i have been rocking a wig that i made about a month or 2 ago..it looks the same as my siggy and avatar pic..i made it with the same hair..and now i am gonna make a st8 one with the hair that i have been saving to do a full head sew in, but i am loving this homemadecurly wig so much, ima do it in st8..its really working for me..

MissFallon

candy1214 said:
How are ppl using the clip in weaves on hair that has been cornrowed underneath?

I need to learn to do my own and master the technique, although I have lady who does sew-ins for 70 bucks.

If anyone lives in Alexandria...she's off of route one. Rosemary is her name. She isnt the best, but you get your money's worth.

I know RabiaElaine does this. I keep wanting to ask her specifics but I forget, PM her...she has a lot of info on weaves and clip ins.

MissFallon

Can I count my lacefront as a part of this challenge? I just got it yesterday and plan on wearing it until the summer when I will switch to braids. I am wearing braids underneath the lf.

Healthb4Length

I took out my weave last Thursday and I updated my album. Check it out, I'll be using these pics as my starting point for this challenge. Here it is www.fotki.com/nubian7, password is growth it's in the album titled crown and glory update.

glamazon386

To the new ladies - welcome! I'm still hanging in there. I gave my hair a break for 2-3 weeks and now I'm back in a weave. Thinking about going with braids once I take this out though. I'm coming up on the 1 yr anniversary since my last relaxer in April. I can't wait to see how much progress I've made...

MissFallon - Sure that counts. :)

Krys - I don't shampoo under each track. I just wash it in the shower like I would my own hair and it works fine for me.

How's everybody else doing?

SpiritJunkie

I am so glad I joined this challenge. You can see my results in my fotki. I am very happy with it.

I am out of a weave now and will be for a couple of weeks and then I will add more in.

Just trying to figure out if I want curly or straight! hmmmmm,,,,:cool:

Hidden_Angel

I've gotten a inch of growth past two months and im about to start backon my MN to get this inch i need this month :D its coming along

Then and the end of this month ill probably go into some new braids or a sew-in so i can start MTG again

morehairplease

Hi ladies,

I am getting kinky twists tommorrow.

my regimen will look like this:
--Sun
poo & deep co
spray scalp & braids
--Mon, Wed, & Fri
oil scalp
--Tues, Thurs
cw
spray scalp & braids

each day I plan on doing a 5 min. scalp massage both morning and night.

I plan on using the following products while in braids:
Infusium 23 (moistur)ologie poo, co, and l-i
Nexxus humectress for deep co
Better braids l-i
African Pride braid sheen spray
and TJ's nourish spa co & Infusium 23 (moistur)ologie co for conditioner washes.

I have not decided on what supplements, if any, I will take.

Misseyl

Is it too late to join? If not, I'm in.

I did box braids myself on April 2 and I plan to wear them until July 4th, 2008. The reason I'm doing this is because my hair is relatively long but in some areas, areas that were damanged during my visits to beauticians, are 3 inches long while the rest of my hair is about 6/7 inches long. I don't want to cut it so I've opted to wear braids instead. If I succeed, my hair should grow an additional 4/5 inches stretched for my next relaxer.

My routine will to wash my scalp every week and apply Scurl to my braids every other night, that's it. I don't intend to do the condition thing because I don't want any buildup but I intend to keep my braids moisturized and by using Scurl ..

luvmesumhair

Carla From VA said:
Bedhead Manipulator can be found at Ulta and Target, and its not like a gel, more like a thick pudding. I think caucasion hair types use it to spike their ends, but for me, I put a little on my 4F edges, tie it down, and it looks like I got a fresh relaxer. My edges nap up really quick. Some ladies use it on their leave out portion to match their weaves up.

Rabia, hey girl!! I'm glad you are liking your extensions-plus hair. Here are some pics of mine, this is my current install which was done on Election Day. I've been reusing this hair since September, it doesn't tangle or shed. I have approx 3 ounces installed. Yep, THREE ounces! A little goes a long way, the wefts are very thick and full.

just blowdried:

flat ironed, with smooth and shine serum:

14" hangs way down on me....

Hey Carla, your hair looks very nice. Question, I read somewhere that the smaller the wefts the less noticable the bumps are. Do u do your weaves yourself also?

KnottyGurl

I'm in (today)! I've been wearing phony ponies and clip-ins. It's working for me, so I think I'll continue it for a while. ;)

Nanyanika

i have three weeks to go before removing my braids, so far so good, i had a few braids redone, i noticed my hair was very moist and elastic. i begun using diluted lekair cholesterol as a deep conditioner last week and i noticed a big difference in my hair, its soo much stronger. Next I will try twists styles

tt8

Count me in. I am doing APL in '08 and was wondering about how to keep up my growth in this weave. I am a newbie so I have just made my shopping list; Viviscal, conditioners, etc. to get the ball rolling. Was wondering if anyone out there has a full-head with a net?! Help!!!
...If you know about the nets, you know they give a challenge to applying products to your own hair. Please hook a sista up!