The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

indianhairs.com is where the hair I am wearing came from. I LOVE IT!!!

I usually purchase hair from remyhairtoday.com. I have a new hair stylist and used this indianhairs.com (all courtesy of MissBermuda). The hair and the style is on point. Very pleased with my 3rd weave of this challenge. Finally getting the hang of it. Now, I need to check in on how to keep the weaved hair up.

I know its late but i'm in! I just got my first official sew-in done by my sister and I love it. It looks soooo natural, and everyone keeps complimenting. I think I may have converted many weave doubters. Why oh why did I not jump on this earlier. I used Milky Way Yaki Weave and so far I'm impressed. I plan on wearing this no less than six weeks and relaxing every twelve weeks. I know this sounds gross but i'll probably wash every 2-3 weeks and spray braid spray every other day or two days. I'll post pics in my fotki soon!

how is everyone doing? i had my hair out for about 2 weeks now..i will be reweaving my hair today in a full head strait..this will be the 1st for me so i hope it comes out ok...how yall doin?

asummertyme said:
how is everyone doing? i had my hair out for about 2 weeks now..i will be reweaving my hair today in a full head strait..this will be the 1st for me so i hope it comes out ok...how yall doin?

I got a freebie on Friday becaause I agreed to let this woman use me as a model for some pictures she's submitting to hair mags. She's had her braids and weaves featured in a few mags in the past. I guess she's just looking to update her book. That and she crochets bathing suits and clothes so me and the other girls also modeled that in the pictures. Honestly, I didn't like the style at first. I was a body wave weave that was two toned. I think it was 1b/30. And then she put tree braids in the front where my hair was left out that were 1b/27 and it was more of a spiral hair. Maybe a deep wave. I was like what the hell did this woman do to my head? BC of the tree braids in the front and the way it was styled it looked like a head full of micros instead of weave. I got a lot of compliments on it over the weekend. Probably more than I've even gotten on any other style but I still didn't like it. None of the other girls liked their hair either. As soon as I got home after the photo shoot sunday I took those tree braids out. They were pulling on my hair. My head is still a little sore. I just combed my hair down and I'm wearing the body wave weave. I'll leave this in for the next month or so. It looks all right and I didn't have to pay for it so I guess I can't complain too much. I just wanna see what those pictures look like now... :look:

i'm getting my hair redone on friday or saturday, i've have one track come out from the back (i had to cut the thread) because the braids started to come undone which loosened up the track. i bought some hair from the BSS this time, Satin Yaki, they had milky way but that was to expensive for my budget at the moment. I really want the indian remy hair, great investment there.

Hey Ladies!

I'm not on this challenge....YET! I currently have in braids that I can't wait to get out (my sister put them in 2 weeks ago). I like how they look...but I decided to be cheap and buy Janet collection New Deep Wave hair. It tangles sooooo badly at the ends. If I want it to look real nice I have to use tons of conditioner and water everyday to detangle the curls. I don't have time for that! I'm going to start a thread to warn ladies about this hair.

Anyway over the last week and a half I've been inspired by Reneice to start using weaves instead of braids to help stretch my relaxer. Braids take tooooooooooo long to put in. At least with the weaves I can take it out after a month and not feel bad since it only took 3 hours or so to put in.

Asummertyme...you've inspired me to learn how to do my own from Ashanti's videos that I ordered from Lesley (I love the ladies on this board). I'm going to be following Reneice's regimen using my own products:

-Stretching 5-7 months (I was already planning to stretch for 5 months)
-Putting weave in myself and leaving in for 4 weeks max!
-I will rest for 1-2 weeks after taking down weave with my phonypony or phony bun. I will deep condition with protein during this time.
-I will wash hair 1x per week
-Moisturize my own hair daily with braid spray and WGO.
-I leave out my hairline in the front and some hair behind that to blend with the weave hair (like Reneice did in her album).

At this point I just need to settle on the brand of hair I'm going to use. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money but I don't want hair that's going to tangle like crazy, swell, or shed a lot.

Do you ladies have any recommendations? I'm thinking about trying the Outre Velvet Remi Yaki Weaving hair. I want a straigt style (human hair of course), but not that silky European straight hair. I have 4a/b texlaxed hair (I will be flat ironing the hair I leave out).

Let me know thanks!

RabiaElaine said:
Hey Ladies!

I'm not on this challenge....YET! I currently have in braids that I can't wait to get out (my sister put them in 2 weeks ago). I like how they look...but I decided to be cheap and buy Janet collection New Deep Wave hair. It tangles sooooo badly at the ends. If I want it to look real nice I have to use tons of conditioner and water everyday to detangle the curls. I don't have time for that! I'm going to start a thread to warn ladies about this hair.

Anyway over the last week and a half I've been inspired by Reneice to start using weaves instead of braids to help stretch my relaxer. Braids take tooooooooooo long to put in. At least with the weaves I can take it out after a month and not feel bad since it only took 3 hours or so to put in.

Asummertyme...you've inspired me to learn how to do my own from Ashanti's videos that I ordered from Lesley (I love the ladies on this board). I'm going to be following Reneice's regimen using my own products:

-Stretching 5-7 months (I was already planning to stretch for 5 months)
-Putting weave in myself and leaving in for 4 weeks max!
-I will rest for 1-2 weeks after taking down weave with my phonypony or phony bun. I will deep condition with protein during this time.
-I will wash hair 1x per week
-Moisturize my own hair daily with braid spray and WGO.
-I leave out my hairline in the front and some hair behind that to blend with the weave hair (like Reneice did in her album).

At this point I just need to settle on the brand of hair I'm going to use. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money but I don't want hair that's going to tangle like crazy, swell, or shed a lot.

Do you ladies have any recommendations? I'm thinking about trying the Outre Velvet Remi Yaki Weaving hair. I want a straigt style (human hair of course), but not that silky European straight hair. I have 4a/b texlaxed hair (I will be flat ironing the hair I leave out).

Let me know thanks!

I am sooo happy that i can help you, its all about learning to do it urself IMO..so u can have more control over your hair health...most stylists especially for braids and weaves just braid way to tight..i cant be bothered...i feel you on the braids thing..even though i do switch back and fourth between braids and weaves...i hate braiding my hair..it takes me 2 days, and it feels like a life time..and i cry when they have to come out too...i met this tranny at my job, and i asked him what kinda hair he weaves with, b/c that hair was lookin like the bomb and i have seen him for 3 weeks in a row, and it was a strait weave with a very slight body wave...so anyways..i called him over to my booth and asked him very descret like...lol..and he told me it was a hair from the BSS wich shocked me b/c, i always imagined that BSS , hair to be horrid from all of my expierences, but his was lookin like the bomb even after a month..he said it was called " HQ body wave 16 in. " , it was beautiful hair...right now, i am gonna use some remy hair that i had already used a while ago..i washed it, and its ready to be reused..but the next time ..i will deff... be checking out that BSS hair..give that HQ brand a whirl..looks like good stuff..

asummertyme said:
aww man..well it was a good thing you took those briads out..you prolly would have lost some hair if u didnt...

Girl yes! I did lose a little bit of my hair from one of those braids. It broke it right off! I'm gonna rethink going back to her to get my senagalese twists with the weave in the middle. The picture she showed me looked just like senegalese twists but she said they only braid the edges and weave the middle. She said it waould be easier on my hair and take less time. You couldn't even tell that it wasn't braided all the way. I think I'm gonna take this out though. Now that I've been touching the hair, it feels like it's synthetic. Initially when she told me what style she was gonna do she said the hair would be expensive. So I'm thinking she bought synthetic to cut costs, one because she was doing it for free and two because she had like 15 other heads to do for the shoot too for free. I'm supposed to go to a cookout in 2 weeks for this guy I know. I think I'm gonna put my old standby hair back in for that. I might just take these tracks out and sew that other hair onto the existing cornrows. I'm hoping he'll have some fine professional black men friends of his there so I need to look fresh. :lol:

Last edited:
I have been wearing my hair out of the weave after a bad weave that matted. My scalp is really sore and I have a few sores on my scalp, and I'm scared to reweave anytime soon. My hair has been shedding alot and I am lost on what to do. I am thinking about just waiting to get a relaxer and then bonding some tracks in. I wanted to wait because I dont want the sores on my scalp to get in contact with the glue..

Any advice?

How should I style my hair until then? I have pics in my fotki of my length..cant do too much. Maybe some flexi's?

sassyhair said:
I have been wearing my hair out of the weave after a bad weave that matted. My scalp is really sore and I have a few sores on my scalp, and I'm scared to reweave anytime soon. My hair has been shedding alot and I am lost on what to do. I am thinking about just waiting to get a relaxer and then bonding some tracks in. I wanted to wait because I dont want the sores on my scalp to get in contact with the glue..

Any advice?

How should I style my hair until then? I have pics in my fotki of my length..cant do too much. Maybe some flexi's?

I would say to skip the glue. It might cause you more problems. A flexi rod set should look nice. Or what about a braid out or twist out? Those kind of styles would keep you from having to manipulate your hair too much. Also, have you thought about pinning your hair up with a phony pony or wearing a quick weave if you wanted to keep with the challenge?

I cant stand pony's too much and since I have soo much new growth I dont think it would be a good idea. As far as the glue, I wont be using that miserable black glue, I have something called liquid gold and I have done extensive research, on removal, application, and all. I think for the next two weeks I will wear the flexi's and then get a relaxer, cut off split ends and then install my weave. I think I will get the back sew in and then glue a few tracks in the front.

asummertyme said:
I am sooo happy that i can help you, its all about learning to do it urself IMO..so u can have more control over your hair health...most stylists especially for braids and weaves just braid way to tight..i cant be bothered...i feel you on the braids thing..even though i do switch back and fourth between braids and weaves...i hate braiding my hair..it takes me 2 days, and it feels like a life time..and i cry when they have to come out too...i met this tranny at my job, and i asked him what kinda hair he weaves with, b/c that hair was lookin like the bomb and i have seen him for 3 weeks in a row, and it was a strait weave with a very slight body wave...so anyways..i called him over to my booth and asked him very descret like...lol..and he told me it was a hair from the BSS wich shocked me b/c, i always imagined that BSS , hair to be horrid from all of my expierences, but his was lookin like the bomb even after a month..he said it was called " HQ body wave 16 in. " , it was beautiful hair...right now, i am gonna use some remy hair that i had already used a while ago..i washed it, and its ready to be reused..but the next time ..i will deff... be checking out that BSS hair..give that HQ brand a whirl..looks like good stuff..

They sell that hard up and down Flatbush in the 700-900 adresses (I dont know the street names sorry).

sassyhair said:
I cant stand pony's too much and since I have soo much new growth I dont think it would be a good idea. As far as the glue, I wont be using that miserable black glue, I have something called liquid gold and I have done extensive research, on removal, application, and all. I think for the next two weeks I will wear the flexi's and then get a relaxer, cut off split ends and then install my weave. I think I will get the back sew in and then glue a few tracks in the front.

i agree with bmore..be really careful when handling ur tresses..very gentle because your scalp sounds stressed because of the tight weave..when u do decide to weave again..make sure they braid ur hair in a way where ur hair and scalp are not being pulled too tight..because that will kill ur hair..

cutebajangirl said:
They sell that hard up and down Flatbush in the 700-900 adresses (I dont know the street names sorry).

o snap...u ever used it? ima give it a try soon..flatbush is where i go to buy my hair anyways...lugo's and mona's...;) , mona's hair is the one i will be reusing today..

I am jumping back on the challenge of having two sets of braids and twists. I reunited with my cousin who does hair (she did my first relaxer) and does an excellent job with sew-ins.

A good pattern, IMO, that would not stress the scalp would be to braid you hair down vertically instead of horizontally. I just did my weave this weekend (even though I just put in braids two weeks ago - that's another story). I've done my own weaves before and I've done them both ways. I really like having the hair braided downward for a few reasons 1) your scalp (mine anyway) does not have all the tension on it that it normally would when you braid horizontally and 2) you can put as many tracks in as you want. With the horizontal method, the number of tracks you put in is dependent upon the number of horizontal braids you have. I definitely notice a difference in the braiding patterns.

sassyhair said:
My scalp is always stressed in the middle.

Sassy did you do your weave yourself?? Do you remember feeling like the tracks were really tight when the weave was first put in?

I never had a problems with sores when I had a weave once 2 years ago. I did have a problem where the weave was put in too tight and right after my hair was relaxed. I had the horizontal braids then too. I agree with Tyefrmy, I think that vertical braids add less stress since the track weight is distributed to several cornrows instead of one cornrow. I also heard that the weave will lay flatter with vertical braids than horizontal.

Another plus is that vertical braids are usually easier to do and quicker.

sassyhair said:
My scalp is always stressed in the middle.

Maybe you should do them straight back. That's how I usually get mines done. just be careful that they're not pulling at your hairline around the front. RabiaElaine is right about the tracks pulling more on the horizontal braids. Besides once your hair starts getting longer, the horizontal braids can become bulky.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Maybe you should do them straight back. That's how I usually get mines done. just be careful that they're not pulling at your hairline around the front. RabiaElaine is right about the tracks pulling more on the horizontal braids. Besides once your hair starts getting longer, the horizontal braids can become bulky.

When I do mine, I'm leaving the front hairline out (like Reniece, can you tell she's become my hair inspiration lately :) ). That's the only part of my hairline that can get stressed, and I want my weave to look as natural as possible. I agree with the horizontal braids becoming harder to do as your hair gets longer.

RabiaElaine said:
When I do mine, I'm leaving the front hairline out (like Reniece, can you tell she's become my hair inspiration lately :) ). That's the only part of my hairline that can get stressed, and I want my weave to look as natural as possible. I agree with the horizontal braids becoming harder to do as your hair gets longer.

I only leave a little tiny piece out in the middle maybe an inch wide and 3 inches back to cover the part. My edges on the sides are braided into the cornrows as well. Less hair to worry about blending. You can't see the sides once the weave is down anyway.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I only leave a little tiny piece out in the middle maybe an inch wide and 3 inches back to cover the part. My edges on the sides are braided into the cornrows as well. Less hair to worry about blending. You can't see the sides once the weave is down anyway.

That's cool, I'm just worried about the sides becoming stressed from the cornrows on the hairline, my mother has alopecia on her sides, though she and I have 2 totally different types of hair. Her hair can't take much stress at all, and the reason why that happened was because she relaxed/braided/relaxed/braided with no time in between. I won't be doing that so I could probably braid in the edges with no problem, since my hair can take a licking and keep on ticking, but for now I don't want to chance it. My sides are chin length and I don't want to loose them.

I got my friend to do mine, and when I think about it, the sores could have come from bobby pins. Next time I will try to do it myself going str8 back, I really dont know how to cornrow but I am goin to practice because I have noticed only I can make my hair happy.

sassyhair said:
I got my friend to do mine, and when I think about it, the sores could have come from bobby pins. Next time I will try to do it myself going str8 back, I really dont know how to cornrow but I am goin to practice because I have noticed only I can make my hair happy.

Yes I've had bobby pins cause me a lot of pain in the past when I had my har in a flat twist style done at the salon.

I'm hopping on board this challenge. I plan on leaving my sew in for 4 weeks. then take it all down, deep condition/protein with aphogee and all that jazz. then put it back up for 4 more weeks.

Daily i rinse my weave hair in the shower to get rid of buildup. And i spray my glycerine/water mix on my cornrows to make sure they are getting moisturized.

That's all i'm doing for now.

I just updated on this challenge I recently installed some indian natural str8 hair, I glued it in with Liquid gold. I spritz it daily with pantene hydrating curls, infusium original leave-in and water mix. I comb through and cover with a scarf and I have decent waves. I think next time I will get most of it sew in and glue in tracks closer to the part. I love the glue technique though because it feels soo sooo flat and natural.

Back