The Plastic Cap is no Joke

tallnomad

I have been consistenly sleeping in a plastic cap for almost two weeks. I love it and what it's doing to my hair! My hair is dry--actually dehydrated, so it needs all the moisture it can get and so far it's doing very well. It's soft, moisturized and feels really good. The new growth seems to be popping out more too. As soon as I get home from work, I also put a cap on. Sitting in one right now. I think this is my holy grail! :D :D

For the past two days, I haven't even had to mist it with moisture. It usually starts to get somewhat hard and a bit crunchy in my air-conditioned office.

I know other ladies do the baggie challenge so they know that this works.

I did this a few years ago, and noticed that it helped with moisture, but a stylist told me to stop because it would mess up my hair and overcondition it--so I stopped. That ***** turned out to be pure evil anyways and I wish I never listened to her uninformed self.

I was just so excited I wanted to share! I have 4a/b hair that is texturized. I actually will get my last texturizer in two days and will begin transitioning back to natural. I'm going to wear braids in September and do the plastic cap with them also--hopefully these will speed up the growth.
Any other great stories with the plastic cap?

MzOptimistic

I mainly put a baggie on my ponytail every nite before going to sleep to keep my ends moisturized and it's helping me keep my length because I do not see any split ends but I tried to put the baggie over my whole head and when I wake up in the morning it's very moisturized but the problem with wearing the baggie over my entire head is....What if I want to use the caruso rollers in my hair in the morning..I can't because my hair is very damp and moisturized...and would not be dry enough for me to put the rollers in....so that is the reason why I just put the baggie over my pony tail at nite....right now I am on the hide my hair until christmas challenge so I can put the baggie on over my whole head now because I only wear ponytails now...but the baggie is NO joke and I do think it helps with ng because if you remember back in the day with jerri curls that is what grew people hair including mine.

shunta

Girl, that sure sounds like a good idea. I think by doing that, your hair will probably grow, too. Thanks for the idea. ;)

MizaniMami

tsmith said:
I mainly put a baggie on my ponytail every nite before going to sleep to keep my ends moisturized and it's helping me keep my length because I do not see any split ends but I tried to put the baggie over my whole head and when I wake up in the morning it's very moisturized but the problem with wearing the baggie over my entire head is....What if I want to use the caruso rollers in my hair in the morning..I can't because my hair is very damp and moisturized...and would not be dry enough for me to put the rollers in....so that is the reason why I just put the baggie over my pony tail at nite....right now I am on the hide my hair until christmas challenge so I can put the baggie on over my whole head now because I only wear ponytails now...but the baggie is NO joke and I do think it helps with ng because if you remember back in the day with jerri curls that is what grew people hair including mine.

Yep! I apply my baggie to my ends at night too. The baggie is no joke and HIGHLY rec. to anyone who's ends are thirsty! This is the truth! I actually look forward to putting my baggie on at night.

dreysonsmommy2011

I am a firm believer of the plastic cap! I sleep in a plastic cap almost every night and if I am not going anywhere I'll wear one all day. I definitely think that by doing this I have achieved alot of growth. If you are wearing braids I would suggests using a plastic cap for moisture;)

tallnomad

I hate to admit, but I had a jherri curl too as a child! My mom couldn't handle my hair and slapped that on my head for years. But the good thing about the jherri is that we have taken the plastic cap as a great tip!

Mizani--I look forward to putting my cap on too! :D When I'm at work, I'll be thinking--"I can't wait to get some serious moisture up in my hair"--off topic--I'm from Ohio originally--Alliance! :)

Womanly--I sometimes spray something on my hair before I put the cap on--last week I did, but for the past few days, my hair has still felt pretty moist and I've just been putting the cap on to hold the moisture already in there. I've also lightly sprayed and then put coconut oil or the UBH cream conditioner to hold the moisture.

I think the cap is making the new growth pop, but also making sure it doesn't get too dry and get too tangled with my texturized hair.

I think everyone with dry hair should try this!

MzOptimistic

tiffcurl said:
I hate to admit, but I had a jherri curl too as a child! My mom couldn't handle my hair and slapped that on my head for years. But the good thing about the jherri is that we have taken the plastic cap as a great tip!

Mizani--I look forward to putting my cap on too! :D When I'm at work, I'll be thinking--"I can't wait to get some serious moisture up in my hair"--off topic--I'm from Ohio originally--Alliance! :)

Womanly--I sometimes spray something on my hair before I put the cap on--last week I did, but for the past few days, my hair has still felt pretty moist and I've just been putting the cap on to hold the moisture already in there. I've also lightly sprayed and then put coconut oil or the UBH cream conditioner to hold the moisture.

I think the cap is making the new growth pop, but also making sure it doesn't get too dry and get too tangled with my texturized hair.

I apply profective healthy ends or elasta mango butter to my ends and put the baggie on everynite....and yes I think the cap will make the ng pop because it becomes so moisturized...that is why I only do it to my ends and not my whole head because I do not want my hair to break off but if you apply something thick on your ends....like I use the mango butter...and when I take the cap off in the morning...my ends feel so silky.

MzOptimistic

tiffcurl said:

Don't be ashamed of your jerri curl...I had one too..that was the shhh back then...look at wet and wavy hair. (wave neuvo)...girl where did you think that came from.....jerri kids...that's who....:lachen:

Dee-Licious

I wanna try this, but I'm confused. For those of you who baggie your entire head,
1. do you put something on the full length of your hair and then put on the baggie or just put something on your ends?
2. What are ya'll using on your ends/entire head?
3. how do you style your hair in the morning

TIA

Cheleigh

I think doing a whole head baggie at night for a couple of weeks helped me regain the proper moisture balance during my transition. It was a hairsaver.

Even now, if my hair feels extra dry (seems to happen with the changing of the seasons), I just moisturize the entire head with water and oil based moisturizers, pop on a plastic cap, and put a scarf over that for the night for a night or two and CW in the morning.

WomanlyCharm

tiffcurl said:
Shunta and Womanly--did you try this? what do you think?

I tried it...and my hair came out a bit hard. :(

I think it's because I sprayed it with this Dove Moisturizing spray (can't remember the exact name of it right now) but my hair didn't like it at all.

I'll try the cap again with something different next time.

tallnomad

sorry to hear that womanly. do you have something you consider your favorite moisturizer? if so, try that and spray or rub on lightly. you don't have to add much at all because it seems like it excretes or expands more due to the bag. I've even sprayed a little bit of water on my hair--very lightly--and it still comes out moisturized. maybe water and then seal it with shea butter or coconut oil. my favorites are Hawaiian Silky Miracle Work, or any of the other jherri curl products--which I guess are perfect for the plastic cap. :grin:

MsDanele--you can add something light or just put the cap on and the natural moisture in your hair will be maintained.

anahnamuslyyours

Alright, so after reading this thread, I went straight to the mirror to lightly spray my hair with Better Braids braid spray, and then sealed it with EVOO and threw on the plastic cap. Since I don't plan on going anywhere this weekend, I think I'll just leave the cap on all weekend and see how it looks Monday morning.

shunta

tiffcurl said:
Shunta and Womanly--did you try this? what do you think?
Hey Tiffcurl, girl I have been having so many hair woes as far as the shedding and all that stuff that it completely slipped my mind. But as soon as I try it, I ll let you know girl. I hope it works cuz my ends stay dry from all this Texas heat!:lol:

FeelinIt

I have a question. I love the plastic cap method as well.

But here are my problems:

Styling in the morning is an issue. I am transitioning and the perm and the natural make it hard to do anything but a ponytail with. Gel and ponytails are the only things I can do to is.

I am worried about over-moisturizing. You know how the hair can have that mushy feel. Can that be a potential problem?

Tee

For the ladies bagging the ends (pony tail) how are you getting the baggie to say on??

Cheleigh

FeelinIt said:
I have a question. I love the plastic cap method as well.

But here are my problems:

Styling in the morning is an issue. I am transitioning and the perm and the natural make it hard to do anything but a ponytail with. Gel and ponytails are the only things I can do to is.

I am worried about over-moisturizing. You know how the hair can have that mushy feel. Can that be a potential problem?

During my transition, I only wore buns after I did a whole head baggie. When I wore a braid out or twist out (I bascially didn't use heat during my transition), I wouldn't WWB the night before.

I think that you should only WWB when your hair is feeling particuarly undermoisturized. I did it for two weeks nightly, and that was enough to restore my moisture balance for several months.

growingbrown

Tonight I am trying the plastic cap as a pre-poo treatment for tomorrow. I have amla oil on my hair. I hope this works.

MzOptimistic

Letitia said:
For the ladies bagging the ends (pony tail) how are you getting the baggie to say on??

I use a processing cap to baggie my ends and what I do is cover my ponytail with the processing cap and twist the cap around and then tuck the cap over the ponytail and it does not come off...you know the processing caps has the elastic band so that works just fine for me..hth

tallnomad

i got my hair done a couple of days ago and told my stylist about the plastic cap. she said my hair still felt dry to her, but she noticed it wasn't breaking or shedding as much as the last time. my hair is SUPER dry, but I feel like the cap has made a huge difference and I will continue doing this until my moisture level is balanced out.

growingbrown

I rinsed my hair out and it was so soft :grin: I will definetly do this process again. It was probably the combination of the amla oil and the plastic cap together.