The Plastic Cap is no Joke

dreamer26

I will try this tonight as well, my hair is moist but my ends are so dry any minute now a fire could break out on my head.

Thanks for the post.

Ok, for the relaxed ladies that wear plastic caps. How do you style your hair in the morning?? If I wore a plastic cap at night, my hair would be really damp and frizzy and hard to style:perplexed

asubeauty

I've wanted to try sleeping in a plastic cap to condition or moisturize overnight but I wasn't sure that the cap would stay on and I was scared that the cap would come off in the bed and suffocate me in my sleep. :look: I guess I've been paranoid. :lol:

growingbrown

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Ok, for the relaxed ladies that wear plastic caps. How do you style your hair in the morning?? If I wore a plastic cap at night, my hair would be really damp and frizzy and hard to style:perplexed

Right now I am just wearing ponytails. It feels so moisturized but not at all frizzy. I can not run a flat iron through my hair if thats what you mean.:cool:

growingbrown said:
Right now I am just wearing ponytails. It feels so moisturized but not at all frizzy. I can not run a flat iron through my hair if thats what you mean.:cool:

Yea, that's what I mean. My hair is only chin length so I'm unable to wear styles like that. Even if I could, I don't think my employer would like me to wear ponytails only because I work at a hospital that is catholic and they are basically predjudiced. I haven't seen any blacks with dreds or bantu knots or any styles of that nature. I'm just trying to find a way to protect my ends and keep them mositurized.

trinigul

I love this sleep with plastic cap method!!! I'm usually on a week, off another...cause I'm lazy. My hair is growing like crazy! I think faster than MN or MTG.

cocomama

I tried this plastic bag method last night and I must say my ends felt

moisturized:) My hair is usually a little dry,when I rised. I will try the

whole head tonight.I just didn't want to have a line across my farhead(LOL):lachen:

divya

I love this forum...if you have a hair issue, you are bound to get the solution. My hair is really dry right now so plastic cap it is!

Brownshugaz

asubeauty said:
I've wanted to try sleeping in a plastic cap to condition or moisturize overnight but I wasn't sure that the cap would stay on and I was scared that the cap would come off in the bed and suffocate me in my sleep. :look: I guess I've been paranoid. :lol:
Hey sweetie, I was paranoid too. Just tie your scarf down over it or your satin cap and it will stay in place and won't suffocate you.

growingbrown

I have to say that I am loving this whole head baggy method. My hair is so moist. Will I overdue it if I do this everyday? I have been doing this the past three days and it is great. I just hate when I do to work my end are left exposed.

mahogany66

This thread is very imformative, I just did a rollerset last night so I still have a bit of moisture in my hair but I will definitely try this when my hair starts to dry out...:)

divya

OMG...I moisturized my hair the other night and put on a plastic cap. My hair felt so good in the morning. Now if only get myself into a routine, my hair will definitely grow much healthier.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I've been using the plastic cap on my whole head *every night* for the last six months...my hair absolutely LOVES the moisture, it's not mushy and I literally never have more than 10 strands of shed hair a day and virtually no breakage at all (I've been counting the shed hairs :look: ) ....when my hair is in a bun I put a baggie on my ends that's mixed with a little conditioner or lightly sprayed with s-curl...my ends rarely sees the light of day... LOL

As far as adding product prior to putting the plastic cap over my whole head, I massage some MTG on my scalp then lightly coat the length of my hair with some castor oil or coconut oil, let it marinate overnight while I'm sleeping then I co-wash in the morning and start the whole process all over again! This is my daily routine. ;)

kitkat3ny

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. My hair is super dry right now. It's not breaking or anything, but it feels so thirsty.

I'm going to moisturize my scalp and ends w/ ORS Oilve oil creme moisturizer, put the baggie on my whole head, then CW in the morning. I ususally CW daily, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for this thread.

asubeauty

Brownshugaz said:
Hey sweetie, I was paranoid too. Just tie your scarf down over it or your satin cap and it will stay in place and won't suffocate you.

Thanks!! I'm going to try this tonight with the scarf. If it works for me and I decide to keep doing this, I don't know how I'll explain this to my roomie when school starts next week. :lol:

Proudpiscean

I slept with a plastic cap last night, I put a little Qhemets amla & olive cream on beforehand.....and my hair now feels super moist! I didn't notice any sweating.

jadestar

Does anyone with relaxed 4a or 4b hair, who usually wears their hair out on a daily basis use the baggie method? Does your style hold?

I would love to try it on a regular basis, but am concerned with what I would do to my hair in the morning.

tallnomad

Caramela--I think it does make your scalp sweat a bit because it's a sort of a slow natural/internal steam process. I never notice a smell though. I usually condition wash my hair every 2-3 days. When I'm not washing, I always let the shower steam get in my hair further opening up my scalp pores--I guess. I personally think the sweating process is good for the hair and scalp.

asubeauty

I tried this last nite... I'm in love!!

I oiled my ends and sprayed my hair lightly with a V05/oil/ distilled water mixture, wrapped it, put a plastic cap on (held in place with a scarf), and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning and combed my hair out... :shocked: My hair had so much moisture, I thought that it was damp. I've been touching it all day because it's so soft. I probably wouldn't do this if I were wearing my hair out, but for buns and ponytails, it's my new MO.

Thanks so much, Tiffcurl!!!

cmw45

tiffcurl said:
I have been consistenly sleeping in a plastic cap for almost two weeks. I love it and what it's doing to my hair! My hair is dry--actually dehydrated, so it needs all the moisture it can get and so far it's doing very well. It's soft, moisturized and feels really good. The new growth seems to be popping out more too. As soon as I get home from work, I also put a cap on. Sitting in one right now. I think this is my holy grail! :D :D

For the past two days, I haven't even had to mist it with moisture. It usually starts to get somewhat hard and a bit crunchy in my air-conditioned office.

I know other ladies do the baggie challenge so they know that this works.

I did this a few years ago, and noticed that it helped with moisture, but a stylist told me to stop because it would mess up my hair and overcondition it--so I stopped. That ***** turned out to be pure evil anyways and I wish I never listened to her uninformed self.

I was just so excited I wanted to share! I have 4a/b hair that is texturized. I actually will get my last texturizer in two days and will begin transitioning back to natural. I'm going to wear braids in September and do the plastic cap with them also--hopefully these will speed up the growth.
Any other great stories with the plastic cap?

Why not skip the texturizer...then you get to keep whatever new growth you've already got...just a thought.

I do enjoy the baggy...I think I'm going to go on a CG challenge or a WIG challenge (and baggying underneath).

bravenewgirl87

cmw45 said:
Why not skip the texturizer...then you get to keep whatever new growth you've already got...just a thought.

I do enjoy the baggy...I think I'm going to go on a CG challenge or a WIG challenge (and baggying underneath).

She's Gone.:(