The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

mzhotniz86

Would (Dominican product) Partial Silk Worm qualify as a silk protein used before relaxing?

Are you ladies saying a silk protein is more benefical instead of an actual protein/reconstrcutor treatment before a relaxer? Or should this be used the wash after the relaxer?

no, they mean just use it on the ends of your hair before relaxing, to keep the relaxer from stripping your previously processed ends when rinsing. the reconstructor is best used AFTER the relaxer to restore the some elasticity back to the hair

taytay86

no, they mean just use it on the ends of your hair before relaxing, to keep the relaxer from stripping your previously processed ends when rinsing. the reconstructor is best used AFTER the relaxer to restore the some elasticity back to the hair

So you mean, adding the silk protein like a hair dress and then proceeding with the relaxer? :perplexed

Healthb4Length

So you mean, adding the silk protein like a hair dress and then proceeding with the relaxer? :perplexed

Yes, adding silk protein prior to relaxing is good because the silk protein slows down the chemical reaction of the relaxer and reduces incidence of overprocessing. If done correctly it should act as a protective barrier,a buffer; it won't interfare with the relaxer process, it will make your previously relaxed hair stronger and reduce damage since overlapping is inevitable. I put SAA on my previously relaxed strands every time I relax and my hair has benefited greatly.

*fabulosity*

This thread rocks.. I can never read this thread enough. Where is that Navs! She is a brain! Thanks again guys... <<goes to find a spray bottle for the SAA>>.. I think I will use some spray and then coat it with Chi Silk Infusion. For once I'm not nervous about getting my relaxer from a new stylist whose never relaxed me before!!!

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
OK Navs...I am so confused right now. I love science but chemistry is not my strong point so please bear with me.

Are you telling us that you can use pure silk amino acids, or CHI Silk Infusion on your newgrowth or on previously relaxed ends for protection from overlapping, or both?

What are the long term effects of using silk? If used on dry hair, does it prevent moisture from entering the strand? Is it a good heat protectant to use before flat-ironing? Can you mix it with your favorite conditioner?

I know I have a lot of questions but I really want to understand the benefits for my 4a/4b relaxed hair. Thank you in advance.

The Princess

I have so CSI thats been sitting for a couple of months now. I will be using this when I relax in a couple of weeks.

tnorenberg

OK Navs...I am so confused right now. I love science but chemistry is not my strong point so please bear with me.

Are you telling us that you can use pure silk amino acids, or CHI Silk Infusion on your newgrowth or on previously relaxed ends for protection from overlapping, or both?

What are the long term effects of using silk? If used on dry hair, does it prevent moisture from entering the strand? Is it a good heat protectant to use before flat-ironing? Can you mix it with your favorite conditioner?

I know I have a lot of questions but I really want to understand the benefits for my 4a/4b relaxed hair. Thank you in advance.

Navsvega was awsome.!!! Yes,I was around back then and that is exactly what we did. I tried both..the Chi worked but was just too expensive. I bought the raw Silk AA which was cheaper for more of it. I add it to my shampoos, conditioners and oil concoctions. Silk is a light protein and there are no long term effects that I know of but a little extra conditioning/ strengthening of the strands.

peppers01

I just bought the CHI Silk Infusion stuff the other day and it smells so gooood! Just like men's cologne. I could not stop sniffing it. But back to the topic at hand, I think I will give it a try next relaxer. TIA

I said the same thing when I first used mine. Maybe it'l help with overprocessing breakage. Thanks OP for this helpful info, I will definitely be using this next time I retouch!

Aggie

I relaxed today and I added some SAA to my relaxer - about 2.5-3 Tbs of it to my mild relaxer and also 2 Tbs of grapeseed oil as well. I am trying to texlax my hair:yep:. It is just too fine to stay bone straight:nono:.

newflowers

The use of silk when relaxing is one of the best lessons learned - ever. The specific use of silk amino acids and silk peptide powder added to conditioners is also exxcellent advice. It helps my hair stay strong and shiney without protein overload and subsequent breakage. I also add saa to my reconstructor which I use both before and after the neutralizing shampoo.

LaidBak

The use of silk when relaxing is one of the best lessons learned - ever. The specific use of silk amino acids and silk peptide powder added to conditioners is also excellent advice. It helps my hair stay strong and shiny without protein overload and subsequent breakage. I also add saa to my reconstructor which I use both before and after the neutralizing shampoo.

Curious...are you adding the SAA to a conditioner that already has some in it (like Motions)? Or are you supplementing your favorite conditioner with SAA? If so, is your fav condish a protein one or a moisturizingo one? How often do you do this?

PGirl

Great thread. I will be using SAA as a pre-treatment before my next relaxer. Too bad thats 10 more weeks away! I'm stretching 20 weeks God willing...

LaidBak

I am touching up in 5 days and I will definitely be using CHI Silk Infusion beforehand. If all goes well I'll be on the lotioncrafters website the next day.

ETA: I read a bunch more threads and just ended up ordering it today. There is so much more you can do with straight silk protein.

Last edited:

unalteredone

has anyone else been doing this? i'm getting a relaxer by a possible habitual under processor tomm.... do you think i should even bother trying to protect my NG if he tends to under, not over-process?

Aggie

has anyone else been doing this? i'm getting a relaxer by a possible habitual under processor tomm.... do you think i should even bother trying to protect my NG if he tends to under, not over-process?

Darn, why couln't he be living in the Bahamas. I hate over processed hair. I prefer it under-processed for the texlaxed texture. I still use the SAA in my relaxer when I'm under-processing my air for the added protection.

Kiki82

The use of silk when relaxing is one of the best lessons learned - ever. The specific use of silk amino acids and silk peptide powder added to conditioners is also exxcellent advice. It helps my hair stay strong and shiney without protein overload and subsequent breakage. I also add saa to my reconstructor which I use both before and after the neutralizing shampoo.

New flowers how much silk amino acid do you add to your reconstructor?

Kiki82