Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

Royalq

-AOHSR- way too thick, obnoxious smell, did nothing. It didnt moisturize, detangle nothing.
-Megatek- epic waste of time. I used it almost daily for 5 months with no results. I still have half a bottle left that i do occasional hard protein treatments with.
- Cholesterol conditioners- yeah, no
-coconut oil- my hair never ever reacts to this oil, ill stick to good ol' olive and castor.
-herbal essence LTR leave in- my relaxed hair didnt like it nor does my natural hair.
- wide tooth combs- i like my denman better
-Aloe vera juice- does squat for my hair

beanie44

Shea Moisture Masque - My hair was moisturized but I started shedding like a dog with the mange...I really liked this stuff, I gave away all of the Shea Moisture products I had.

Lissa0821

Aloe vera juice: makes my hair hard
Coconut Oil: caused breakage because my hair was hard
Henna: Even more breakage
Steamer: Works great with specific deep conditioners which I no longer use. I just got tired of sitting under it each week because it was so hot and started to drip hot water on me.
LTR leave in and Silicon Mix leave in: made my hair hard

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Aloe Vera Juice=inconsistent results
Shea Moisture ANYTHING--I used to like the poo, but hate it now.
Giovanni Direct Leave In--a hot mess
DevaCurl products

prettypithy

I can add a few of these to my list, too. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie--for me it was too light for a W N G and too heavy for a twistout. KCCC took forever to dry and made my hair sticky and somehow seemed to enhance my shrinkage.

luckiestdestiny

1)Megatek= mega breakage
2)aphogee= apho break (ha! Okay that doesn't make sense but you get the point. Even with moisture uptake it was a nono)
3) Denman to detangle) remove shed hairs= it removing a ton of hair that wasn't shed ( might use to smooth but never to detangle EVA again).

These three have caused major setbacks and cutting

Flor

Aloe Vera Gel: makes my hair hard
Henna + Indigo: my scalp is still recovering from the damage. All I got was flacky, ichy scalp, followed by major shedding.

NaNaEternally

the products i've tried have been helping...in their own/different ways. so i have no major complaints.

what my hair HATES! is baggying!!! my hair comes out extremely wet and limp...i have thick hair....its too hard to style after baggying imo

faithVA

the products i've tried have been helping...in their own/different ways. so i have no major complaints.

what my hair HATES! is baggying!!! my hair comes out extremely wet and limp...i have thick hair....its too hard to style after baggying imo

Wow - yeah, I forgot about baggying. :nono: Let me add that to my list.

faithVA

I forgot about the homemade unpetroleum jelly with wax, and the Miss Jessie's knock off with the wax :nono:

PJaye

- Kenra MC & Oyin Honey Hemp (did not work at all – no moisture, no slip, no anything)

- Cheap Conditioners/Dominican Conditioners/Cholesterols (large containers of goopy nothingness that were a huge waste of time and money).

- Joico MRB (the more I use this product, the more I’ve come to realize that it is highly overrated)

- Aubrey Organics Conditioners (way too thick to be ineffective; plus the WC stinks to high heaven)

JudithO

AOHSR and AOGBP - horrible smell... too thick... did nothing...

Kenra Moisturizing condish - nada

DC'ing with Silk Elements Olive Conditioner overnight before blowdrying - Nope.. hair turned into an afro as soon as i stepped outside.

Giovanni Tea tree - Dry dry hair

Giovanni Smooth as silk condish - crispy crispy hair.. i tried to like it so bad by using it for 2 yrs straight too.. nothing

Shea moisture deep treatment - nothing... They need to change the smell of the whole damn line... put some perfume oil in those babies or something

Detangling in the shower... horrible...

beautyaddict1913

I can list quite a few items from the beginning of my hair journey but I will only name a few lol:

Oyin products (the only thing I like is the bsp)
Komaza products (they smell good but they just dont work for me)
SheaMoisture Milk - I tune my nose up everytime someone raves over this
Giovanni Direct Leave In - one of the worst products I have ever bought
Giovanni Deeper Moisture Condish & Smooth as Silk - my hair hates Giovanni. period.
Afroveda Hemp butter - was very drying and waxy on my hair
Carol's Daughter Hair Milk - just a mess for me, too greasy
Curl Junkie Coffee Curl Cream - does not work very well as a stand alone styler

30something

Qhemet Biologics moisturizers, total waste of 60 bucks. NEVER AGAIN will I waste over $8 on anything just because its natural.

MsLi@512

1.Giovanni Direct: hair crispier than a 2 piece at kfc
2.roller setting: Looked okay the first time, strange the second time, scared my dog the last time i tried.
3.Products with silicone, petroleum, mineral oil and hidden proteins: I desperately wanted to like them so that I could boast of not being a product snob (and save some cash), but my hair unfortunately is. Left my hair, hard, coated,and drier than Gandhi's sandals within 24 hours.
4.Ecostyler gel: got a big dumb jar for like $4.00 at Sally's but it dries and leaves flakes ruining my attempts to not wash my hair for a week. And contributing to my hand in hair disease.
5.Silicone Mix: Tried to sneak it in recently because someone I knew used and liked it, my hair was not fooled (please see item #3of things that did not work)

prettypithy

1.Giovanni Direct: hair crispier than a 2 piece at kfc
2.roller setting: Looked okay the first time, strange the second time, scared my dog the last time i tried.
3.Products with silicone, petroleum, mineral oil and hidden proteins: I desperately wanted to like them so that I could boast of not being a product snob (and save some cash), but my hair unfortunately is. Left my hair, hard, coated,and drier than Gandhi's sandals within 24 hours.
4.Ecostyler gel: got a big dumb jar for like $4.00 at Sally's but it dries and leaves flakes ruining my attempts to not wash my hair for a week. And contributing to my hand in hair disease.
5.Silicone Mix: Tried to sneak it in recently because someone I knew used and liked it, my hair was not fooled (please see item #3of things that did not work)

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Writer100

Everything under my bathroom sink right now! I think I've tried everything so I just cut if all off into a boy fade.

I'm so cute! :lachen:

Bublin

I have two large plastic underbed boxes full off crap that doesn't work on my hair - i could open up a shop.

Aloe Vera Juice - great at detangling but once the hair has dried it is hard and crispy.

Aphogee 2 step - waste of time and money, did nothing to stop breakage.

Coconut Oil - leaves my hair feeling like straw.

All gels - it is like i've put water in my hair, they don't lay a damn hair down on my head.

Any water type leave-in's - uh? Did i actually put anything in my hair?

Glycerin/honey - any product that has it in just makes my hair a sticky, hard mess.

Sulpher - it leaves a thick coating on my scalp and itches.

Protein in anything - it just makes my hair hard, hard, break, break - the exception is ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I'm soooo sick of protein hidden in everything by using fancy names for it. I forgot i always used Keracare Humecto before this HHJ and that's what i'm going back to. Sod the protein/moisture balance - it don't work for me.

Meadow

Anything by Mizani. I hear people rave about it, but all of the Mizani products that I tried always left my hair in a unknown weird state :ohwell:

Bublin

OK...so the same people in this thread need to say what DOES work in their hair because alot of us in here don't like the same things. I'm guessing our hair reacts in similar ways. I think that would be a great help because i need help in finding a truely moisturising leave-in and a creamy moisturiser - i know that is what my hair needs.

Added to my list is Bee Mine Balanced Moisturiser - this is creamy water!!

Lita

Wen products,rinsing with cold water,cheapie con,latin dc'... Happy Hair Growing!

TeeSGee

Silicon Mix I really wanted to try this product bcuz of all the rave reviews it got, went my local BSS wkly for updates until they got it in stock, tried it and my hair hated that thing.. it was dry, hard, brittle and not the softness people were talking bout.

NTM Leave-in did nothing for my hair my hair felt like it didn't even moisturize it, just after finishing.

HELTR what moisture, still waiting for that to happen; still have a full bottle.

Glycerin makes my hair hard

AVJ doesn't moisturize my hair, my hair feels stripped of any moisture it had after using this
and the list goes on.......

Last edited: