To women who had good relaxed hair...

ichephren

why did you choose to go natural? I have been natural several times in my life and I loved it...and I'm thinking of going back. So, for those who had good relaxed hair that wasn't damaged, why did you chosose to go natural?

naturaline

i had been relaxing for about 11 year and i wanted to learn how to look after my natural hair again. now when i see pictures of my relaxed hair i kinda miss it but i dont think ill ever go back.

Country gal

I found myself wearing textured styles while relaxed. My hair would be so thin after relaxing versus the fullness pre relaxer day. I also wasn't sastifed (sp) with my lenght. I fiqured it was safe to start over again when my relaxed hair was just shoulder lenght versus being bra or waist length. It seems to be growing like weeds. I get the "wow, your hair is getting long comments". I always felt like I looked like every other black girl with relaxed hair. In my area I really stand out because I am natural.

beyondcute

The reasons are many but here are a few:

1. My hair would not hold a curl, a wave, a NUFFIN!
2. The last person that relaxed my hair severely underprocessed it.
3. I THOUGHT my hair was healthy until it grew out and I compared the roots to the ends and its beyond obvious that the relaxer thinned my hair.
4. $85 for a touch-up
5. See the naturals around campus
6. Couldnt remmeber what my hair looked like BEFORE a relaxer.
7. During my transition most poeple cant tell if I have a relaxer or not especially when I get it straightened.
8. My biology teacher that taught us about how chemicals get in your skin and the Einstien realization that I was putting baby drano on my scalp.
9. My fear of losing all my hair due to somebodys irresponsibility

Okay thats enough.

SignatureBeauty

I am now Relaxed but I went Natural because I wanted to see what my Natural hair Looked like, I have had no Problems with my Relaxed hair at all even before going natural, I have always been my own beautician and never had to shell out $75+ dollars or sit in a salon all day saturday, I enjoy taken care of my own hair whether it is natural or relaxed, I never worry about running from the rain nor do I worry about swimming because I have a relaxer, I have always worn a swim cap even with my natural hair in chlorine water, I love my hair either way.
I never had a problem with growth and just because you are natural doesn't mean that your hair is healthy, because it can break and become damaged if not taken care of properly. I guess some people go natural for different reasons. I have been natural 3 times and might go back in the future but this time I won't BC, I've done it 3 times. I will just Transition the next time.

Cheleigh

Pretty simple reasons, actually--

Couldn't remember why I was still relaxing. Didn't need to be relaxing anymore, and saw no reason why I shouldn't stop relaxing.

I've never liked the process of getting one's hair "did". Never liked getting a press and curl. Never liked getting a retouch. Never liked going to the shop. I did like having my hair freshly done, because it was cute and easy to maintain. Liked the compliments I received from a having a freshly done do, 'cause my hair was swanging y'all! :lol:

Wasn't enough.

I liked my relaxed hair. It was all that I'd known, really, and it had never done me wrong. I LOVE my natural hair. Love how it feels, and how it looks. It is "me." I've even liked the transitioning process--now I'm just impatient because the relaxed hair is getting in the way of my natural hair. :)

SilkyandSmooth

I was tired, tired, tired. Tired of the straight hair and tired of sitting in the salon hours on end just to get a touch-up. My relaxed hair was at its longest and possibly its healthiest thanks to LHCF, but I just had to give the relaxer up.

mscounselor

beyondcute said:

3. I THOUGHT my hair was healthy until it grew out and I compared the roots to the ends and its beyond obvious that the relaxer thinned my hair.
4. $85 for a touch-up
7. During my transition most poeple cant tell if I have a relaxer or not especially when I get it straightened.
8. My biology teacher that taught us about how chemicals get in your skin and the Einstien realization that I was putting baby drano on my scalp.

Okay thats enough.

You need to stop the madness with that pretty hair girl!

locabouthair

NappyParadise said:
I never had a problem with growth and just because you are natural doesn't mean that your hair is healthy, because it can break and become damaged if not taken care of properly.

I am experiencing that right now. I got lax with my hair care because I thought that since I did not have a chemical I didnt have to worry about my hair any more. I almost never moisturized and now I have a lot of breakage and need a serious trim.

This is a good thread. I can't really comment because I didn't have good relaxed hair thats why I transitioned.

so1913

ichephren said:
why did you choose to go natural? I have been natural several times in my life and I loved it...and I'm thinking of going back. So, for those who had good relaxed hair that wasn't damaged, why did you chosose to go natural?

initially, the fear of a relaxer going wrong....my last retouch was a wake up call, my hairdresser was moody, and did a horrible job, didn't even follow up with a conditioner, just a leave in. At that moment I realized I couldn't trust anyone but myself with my hair...and I couldn't do my own relaxers. Then I started seeing natural styles that I thought were just beautiful and different than the same old relaxed straight wrapped style. Then i started thinking about what was actually in a relaxer, FOR ME, the idea of practically putting a milder version of Draino or Oven Off in my hair became a complete turn off.... I then realized how nice it was not to spend hours in a salon, worrying about stying difficulties inbetween touch up times...hours at home on "wash" day....going natural just made sense for my lifestyle, it's quick, simple, healthy, versitile...and although natural hair can get damaged if not properly taken care of, minus the relaxer factor, its so much easier to avoid it. I absolutely love it!

Last edited:

Jewell

I guess my relaxed hair is okay, but quite frankly I am tired of the chemicals. Also, I really adore natural hair. I have always admired it. The last 5-6 months in 2005 I noticed my hair getting thinner from relaxers eventhough I was always using a mild relaxer (for years) and stretching for 3 months. I guess that was the last straw...and a red flag that its time to give them up for good this time!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My relaxed hair was healthy and long, but I was so bored with it. It was just...STRAIGHT! I wanted more versatility, more thickness, and strength.

Super_Hero_Girl

I was tired of the chemicals as well. I didn't like the process that I had to go through. I never wanted a relaxer in the first place. Straight hair simply wasn't attractive to me anymore. Overall, it wasn't for me and natural hair is. ;)

balisi

I've always done my own hair, including touchups and trims, so cost and salon time was not an issue. But as beautiful as my relaxed hair was, I went natural because:

1) even though it's still a ways off, I couldn't see myself getting touchups into my old age;
2) I can have the best of both worlds as a natural: textured one day, straight the next and back to textured whenever I want to;
3) I think natural hair is beautiful;
4) the itch that occurs when it's time for a creamy crack touchup is the worst and I was tired of it;
5) there is so much support for natural hair in the way of products, styles and acceptance than ever before;
6) I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

In all, I must say that turning my back on relaxers is the best thing I've ever done for my hair, and I've never looked back.

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

I really want to transition even though my relaxed hair looks OK:
- My tastes have changed.
- I like my natural texture; my NG is always healthy and shiny compared to the relaxed ends.
- The use of chemicals is not healthy.

What's keeping me from transitioning:
- I don't know how to take care of my natural hair to enhance both its beauty and health.

SparklingFlame

Answer simply put- I was tired of dealing with it! I tied my hair down for 2 months and didn't even put a comb or brush to it. Then I cut it off to the new growth and got a texturizer. I don't know what the hell happened, but 1 half of my hair was curly, and the other half was BONE STRAIT! So off to the barber shop I went and told him to shave it all off. I decided to wear it like that for a while, but my husband rose the roof! So I just decided that now was my chance to go natural, since I had been contemplating doing it for years. I just didn't know how to go about it. So in essence, going natural kinda found me. I AINT NEVER GOING BACK!

Peachtree

I luved my relaxed hair...didn't have any problems during my 18 relaxed yrs...

I became curious about my natural hair after beginning a "healthy hair regimen" and after seeing all of the beautiful natural heads on various hair boards...
I didn't remember my natural hair as a child...
so I decided to transition (18 mths)
it was a success!
& I don't plan to ever go back to relaxers :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Sorry, I'm late...:look:

I liked my relaxed hair and didn't stop relaxing till I moved to somewhere with really hard water that made my hair stop acting right. But to be honest before I moved I'd gotten really lazy (relaxing every 4 months, buns & loose ponytails). My hair grew the most when i was doing this but that wasn't really my goal. I was getting tired of the burning and not being able to scratch before relaxers and all that. So the hard water thing just pushed me in a direction that I was gonna get to eventually.

Blackbird77

beyondcute said:

4. $85 for a touch-up

Okay thats enough.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: That's it! That's why I'm afraid to go back to the relaxer. Besides, with permanently straight hair, I can't wear my hair naturally wavy some days and pressed the next. This explanation is coupled with the fact that I might end up with no hair at all with it thinning and all that jazz. I never did look too hot with a relaxer anyway, imo. My attention span is short and I never could take sitting in a salon all day.

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
My hair was thriving when I was relaxed. I had a great hair stylist but the only problem was that a trip to her salon literally meant HOURS of my day. I'm talkin 6-8 easy. One summer I had my little sister with me and I didn't want to burden anyone with watching her for that amount of time on any given day.

I started going to another stylist after seeing her work on someone else's hair. She would press my roots and it would last until my next wash. Eventually I was able to transition. Ironically my hair is longer now than its been in a really long time. My last relaxer was May 2001. :)

Qurlyqt

Just got tired...
1) of hair being the same length
2) of the chemical burns
3) of spending hours on rollersets so that my hair would look thicker
4) of relaxing every 2 or 3 months
5) of not knowing what my natural hair would look like
6) of worrying about the weather/humidity
7) of wrapping my hair every night and protecting it in the shower
8) of looking like 99% of the women in my circle, family, church, etc.

P

patient1

I didn't have problems with my relaxed hair. When I didn't make it to the stylist (or didn't want to pay) I did my own services. Got lots of compliments.

Even when I was relaxed though, my mother (who's from New York and was always progressive) touted the beauty of natural hair.

In college, I had a spiritual/political awakening in terms of the ways we mold ourselves. My boyfriend at the time took me to his barber and I had it all cut down. Went to Trinidad/Tobago with his family a few days later and enjoyed the ease of natural hair.

Was 19 at the time, I'm 33 now and I've never went back. Haven't even thought about it.

To those who have a problem with Black women wearing their natural texture, my motto is, "God doesn't make any mistakes!" An older Black woman in Alabama said that to me (speaking on her granddaughter's natural hair). That's stuck with me.

These are my reasons for my hair. None of my daughters have chemical services and I doubt they ever will.

p1

HairPhoenix

I was sick and daggone tired of the chemical burn. :mad: I love the way my hair looks relaxed, but that burn... :mad: It didn't matter how good my scalp was based, there would always be at least one burn spot. :mad: If it didn't burn, I would probably do it forever. I have been enduring the burn for about 23 years and I am tired of it. :mad: And all the money I have been paying to get my scalp burned every couple of months has been ridiculous. :mad: I am also just ready for a change. :yep: I don't hate on anyone who chooses to relax/texturize, though. That's their choice. But I CAN'T TAKE IT NO MO'!!!:(

ThursdayGirl

well I was making my way towards apl and everything was fine... I was stretching anmywhere between 2 and 4 months at a time. my hair was shedding a little more than I wanted, but it wasn't an abnormal amt. no breakage. no problems... except... I got tired of paying for the relaxer touch-up and getting that itch to get a touch-up (you know what I mean?) and I wondered what my natural hair looked like, since I had not seen it since I was 12 years old. I kinda fell in love with my newgrowth and wanted to see more.

The other impetus for going natural is moving to europe. I have heard too many stories come back about people having trouble maintaining a nice perm there. Since I can't relax my own hair.... I figured I had better learn how to style it naturally.

MiWay

I'm getting ready to turn 30, so I think I might be going thru something. :look:

I'm curious about my "real" hair. I've had a relaxer since I was about 10, so other than looking at old pictures, I have no idea what my natural hair is/was like. I'm 19 weeks post, and it's a challenge dealing with the 2 textures, but I really want to get to know my natural hair.

HOWEVER, I did buy a Phytorelaxer 2 months ago, so I don't know if I can live with myself if I don't put that $60 to good use. Darn PJ'ism....

Suri

My relaxed hair was really cute and healthy. The stylists I started seeing after being my own stylist for years was great.
Then my best friends who are both natural started to lecture me about the health of my hair, so I tried it and relaxed within 4 months of the Big Chop. And now here I am transitioning again. I don't know what the end result will be, but I will be natural for awhile, I just want to enjoy my natural hair.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I relaxed my hair again after being natural for two years on April 2, 2005. I was not LHCF savvy and was tired of my dry hair. I did the BIG CHOP!

However, prior to going natural, I was so abusive to my poor hair. I deep conditioned like twice a year. I even tried to do a texturizer over a relaxer. I used to self relax every month, when I felt like it. Thank the Lord, nothing ever fell out, but if it was not for my frequent washing who knows what might have happened?

I do miss my afro, but I like being relaxed. I couldn't stand people always wanting to touch my hair :mad: I felt like a puppy :mad: