TRANSITIONERS SURVIVAL KIT! What's in yours?

pookeylou

TRANSITIONERS SURVIVAL KIT! What\'s in yours?

Ok...I have seen all the wonderful threads on transitioning and the comments from the ladies that are stretching out their relaxers have been truly informative.

I transitioned for 7 months before I did the BC. I had heard horror stories about how bad it could be, but honestly I did not have one bad hair day during my transition. I took the advice from ladies who transitioned for 1 year, 2 years...before they got the length the wanted. It saved me a lot of heartache.

I have recently come upon a wonderful group of books and every time I pick them up I think of you transitioners. THEY ARE EXCELLENT! They really can save you alot of trouble if you can get to the library or invest in the books.

So here is the list:

*** MUST HAVE - DONT TRANSITION WITHOUT IT!
** Excellent resource, your transitioning hair will thank you.
* Nice addition to any library, but get it on sale.
:*( DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

<u>Natural Hair/Natural Woman</u> by Tekeyah "Crystal" Kemah

<font color="blue">This book is excellent. Picture by picture desription of how to style hair. Key code shows you which styles are PERFECT for transitioning hair. Gorgeous photos. I refer to this book all the time and keep it on my coffe table it is so pretty. Whenever guest come over they ALWAYS pick this book up first. </font> ***

<u>Textured Tresses</u> by Diane Da Costa
<font color="blue">I am reading this now. Wonderful, wonderful book. Another excellent guide for the "style challenged" people like me. She has WHOLE CHAPTERS dedicated on how to do particular styles. Diane styled the hair for many celebrities like Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys. She shows you what tools she uses. She has a whole section on how to transition from chemically relaxed hair to natural SAFELY. The only thing I disliked was that there only a few colored pictures.</font> ***

<u>Why Are Black Women Losing Their Hair?</u> by Barry Fletcher <font color="blue">Medical Expertise. Hair Loss Prevention. Holistic Treatments. Avoiding Chemical Destruction. Natural Hair Care. Hair Growth Remedies. That is all I am going to say. Well...One more thing...it truly is a "complete guide to healthy hair! </font> ***

<u>Self-Seduction: Your Ultimate Path to Inner and Outer Beauty</u> by Mikki Taylor
<font color="blue"> Wonderful coffee table book. I love the photos. They have black women in there of every hue and shade. It is an all around beauty book with only one section for hair. The information on transitioning is limited, but helpful. It is a great book to give teenagers to teach them how to take care of themselves. It presents a wonderful portrait of black women with classic, simple yet beautiful makeup. If you want to teach your daughter, neice, cousin how to take care of themselves, wear natural looking makeup, take care of their hair...this is the book for them. But...the transitioning info is limited. </font> *

<u> Andre Talks Hair</u> by Andre Walker <font color="blue"> Honestly...I bought this book because of Oprah. I was also relaxed at the time. When I first decided to go natural I went to this book hoping for advice. It was not helpful...at all. It is a nice book, but if you are transitioning you will not find much informtation. Save your money for one of the other books if you specifically want help to transition.</font> :*(

I have other hair books in my library...but they dont really deal with transitioning. <u>Tenderheaded - A comb bending collecion of hair stories</u> edited by Juliette Harris and Pamela Johnson is a wonderful book if you want to see that you are not the only one going through changes with your hair. You will see yourself in that book. One of the stories there will remind you of your own experience. You will not feel alone after reading that book. It is an excellent read...but no real information on how to transition. But it bears acknowleding. The same goes for <u> Hair Story - Untangeling the roots of black hair</u> (I hope I have the title right) Excellent book for your library. Very enlightening. Changed my perspective on natural hair. A "must have" for your library.

As far as other "tools" for the transitioner...I know for a FACT that my permed ends did not break from my natural roots because...I used a conditioner with great slippage that allowed the comb to go through without breaking the two textures. Once you find that...you can go a long time during your transition.

I cannot say enough about SHEA BUTTER. I shampoo my hair with it. I twist with it. It softened my hair during and after my transition. My hair was never brittle or hard during my transition. It was all because of shea butter. <u>Dont under estimate it's powers!!!</u> I cannot believe that at one time I was using beeswax and mineral oil on my hair.

Any transitioners, that have been doing it for a while, have any tools they use that has made their transition successful? What about books that helped you? (I love to read...so I appreciate a good book if you can recommend one!)

Hope the list helps. Best wishes to you transitioners/stretchers! Aint nothing wrong with trying to keep your length while you grow your hair. Hope it continues to go well for you. And for those who are considering it...maybe the books will help you transition/stretch without a lot of drama.

jainygirl

Re: TRANSITIONERS SURVIVAL KIT! What\'s in yours?

Ooooh, Great thread Pookey /images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm saving this one in my favorites /images/graemlins/up.gif I'm so glad that you're here with all this info /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif -- jainygirl

pookeylou

Let me know if you get any of these. Many I got off of Amazon.com, but ONLY if they delivered them without shipping charges. Amazon can give great prices, but their shipping charges are outrageous!!! Sometimes even higher than the actual book itself...so be careful!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

Pookeylou, that is great info, thanks for the reviews. I think I'll try to get the first book since I've heard so much about it.

And girl, you are not lying about the SHEA butter! That stuff is amazing. Now that it is starting to get cold outside I'm gonna be putting it on my body as well as my hair. I love black soap (real black soap) It has really cleared my complexion. It took awhile to find an unrefined shea butter that I like but now that I have it, I'm not turning back.

Innocent_Kiss

Thanks so much pookeylou! I'm gonna also bookmark this /images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a very small survival kit, but Nappturality has definitely been my backbone through this entire transition. The hair albums, advice, informative articles, the whole nine yards. I must agree that Shea Butter has made a big difference, too. I thought it wasn't possible to have soft moisturized hair until I tried shea butter.

pookeylou

Ya'll are truly welcome. I just saw a HUGE list in the back of "Why are black women losing their hair". It is a list of all of the resources they used to write the book. I will try to make an effort to put it here. I know I will end up getting some of the books on the list that I dont have. I'll let you all know when/if I get them.

bklyncurly

Great thread! Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW, is that a picture of your daughter in your post? She is SO BEAUTIFUL!

/images/graemlins/antlers.gif

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread! Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW, is that a picture of your daughter in your post? She is SO BEAUTIFUL!

/images/graemlins/antlers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont have kids...but if I did, I would want her to have hair JUST LIKE THAT!!!

I saw that picture in a magazine (not sure now which one) but I cut it out and put it in a frame and it has been on my desk ever since...like she is a part of my family! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I am already planning to find some overalls and when my hair gets that big...I am going to take a picture just like that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a neice who has a curly fro...she copies after her aunt pookey. /images/graemlins/cool.gif It is only about 2 inches tall and blondish brown.