Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

davisbr88

Got pulled back into HYH. I'll be jealous looking at all of your out styles so dropping out. HHG, ladies!

cherryhair123

Count me in-
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?--Twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?--Wash and DC weekly. Take twists down every 3 days-twist out 2 days repeat.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?--Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?--Length

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days?-2 days
Will post pics soon

Tibbar

Count me in faithVA, thanks for keeping it going for first quarter of 2012

· What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
~~My primary style is two strand twists that I curl with flexirods or use hairpins and tuck it out of the way. I usually use a headband or scarf to keep my hair off of my face and out of my way.
· What is your style maintenance regimen?
~~I shampoo once a week and deep condition. I moisturize and seal, but not as often as I should. I also use JBCO and sulfur on my scalp (not regularly)
· Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
~~I guess I’ll call myself transitioning??? It’s been over a year since I last relaxed my hair, but I’m not positive I’m transitioning -- I may relax again – really undecided on this...
· What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
~~I’m hoping for thickness and overall hair health, length would be an extra plus. I’ve got some major issues going on up there. I’m hoping the low manipulation will help them all.
· After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
~~I’m going to say 3 days because I don’t wear my hair out often but when I do I get lazy…. Don’t want to start out making promises I can’t keep !

Starting pic –

Attachments

• P1010987.jpg
    P1010987.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 53

faithVA

Let me hold my spot while we are still on the 1st page :lol:
================================================
What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
.......Twists but I want to move to my primary style being buns.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
.....I try to moisturize and seal my ends 1x to 2x daily
.....Oil my crown and temples with castor oil daily
.....Moisturize and seal my twists at least 1x a week

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
.....Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
.....Would like to reach APL
.....Would like my twists to touch my shoulders
.....Would like to be able to bun

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
.....I typically retwists after two days because I am glad to get it over with.

SeptemberLengthPic1.jpg
NapeLengthCheckPic1.JPG

Last edited:

Nubenap22

Sign me up! I need to learn to wear my hair out more!

I think I'll braid with small/micro braid and occasionally twist

With the braids only oil scalp and baggie ( not sure how often I'll baggie)

4b natural/ 3c in the nape

I hope to achieve healthier hair. and begin to under stand my diva more

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days
I'm going to say 3 days because being a student my days change and go crazy sometimes.

Heres a pic of my hair the other day after a twist and curl. I''ll update with my mini braids when I get them.

Updated 12/30 with starting twists. I'll try to keep there in for 2 weeks and I'll mostly keep them up and pinned up.

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Melaninme

Ok, I'm in...I'm currently wearing my twists in an updo style that I normally wear for a week.
  1. What is your primary style? - Twists in a updo (bun style)
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I oil my scalp immediately after creating twists. I wrap my twists with a satin scarf when ready for bed.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I am natural
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Protecting my ends from the damaging affects of the cold winter air
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Three days
Edited to add starting images to post. Image dated 12/28/2011:

Last edited:

faithVA

For all new challengers, just a heads up, you MUST post a starting pic by Jan 1, 2012 to be an official challenger. I hate to be a pain about it but people finished the last challenge and then didn't have a starting pic to post. Its a growth challenge, we want to see the growth.

So everyone has to have one, including me. So you have two weeks.

youwillrise

I updated my original post w/ responses to the questions. Will post pictures on the 30th or 31st (depending on when I decide to redo my hair)

Evolving78

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning) Bunning

What is your style maintenance regimen? dc/wash/cowash 2x a week

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention and healthy ends

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
Include Starting Pic.

gvin89

I'm joining!!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists
What is your style maintenance regimen? Moisturize daily, oil scalp as needed
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Growth, retention, and overall healthier hair
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Last edited:

JustGROWwithIt

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Right now I am primarily in Twists because I am coming from the Twist for Growth challenge that just ended this month. This will probably continue to be my primary style throughout this next phase as well. That and bunning.
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I wash and DC weekly and M&S nightly. I also do scalp massages every other night with a mix of Megatek, Beemine sulfur serum and water. GHE every night. Taking vitamins religiously. Plan to dust every 2-3 months this next year also.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Au naturale :yep:
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention. My hair grows great but my ends break easily. Twists and PS's help me to retain them. I want to be APL by the spring. :yay:
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will go ahead and say 3 days now because I work PT and have 2 little kids. But I will try to get it done in 2 days.
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I will post a pic when I take these current twists out for a length check and then I'll take a pic of my new twist set for the start of this challenge. I will do this this weekend.

Last edited:

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? All three cause i airdry in braids to stretch my hair, then bun, and twist at night
What is your style maintenance regimen? Keeping my hair up and ends moisturized
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and continued health, and low manipulation
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? 3 just to be safe..plus 'out' in my definition just means a puff when im too lazy to tuck my ends for a bun or retwist my whole head :blush:
Include Starting Pic. Just some twists

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? All three cause i airdry in braids to stretch my hair, then bun, and twist at night
What is your style maintenance regimen? Keeping my hair up and ends moisturized
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and continued health, and low manipulation
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? 3 just to be safe..plus 'out' in my definition just means a puff when im too lazy to tuck my ends for a bun or retwist my whole head :blush:
Include Starting Pic. Just some twists and a twistout

menina - What product did you use for your two strand twists? You hair looks so nice, shiny, and moisturized!

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
menina - What product did you use for your two strand twists? You hair looks so nice, shiny, and moisturized!

thank you Poohbear ! I think all i used was cantu shea butter leave in, but i am experimenting so it might've been combined with aussie hair insurance leave in or garnier triple nutrition nutrient spray.

btw, cantu=:yep:
aussie=:perplexed on wet hair, :grin: on dry hair
garnier=:ohwell: shine but may be better as a heat protectant
but thats just my opinion, lol

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
thank you @ Poohbear ! I think all i used was cantu shea butter leave in, but i am experimenting so it might've been combined with aussie hair insurance leave in or garnier triple nutrition nutrient spray.

btw, cantu=:yep:
aussie=:perplexed on wet hair, :grin: on dry hair
garnier=:ohwell: shine but may be better as a heat protectant
but thats just my opinion, lol

Thanks menina! I used to use Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in...I liked it too :yep: but it would leave tiny white balls of buildup throughout my strands. :ohwell:

I've tried Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In before as well and my hair laughed at it. :lol: It really didn't do anything for my hair.

Haven't tried the Garnier spray yet. ;)

sxyleogrl

I would like to join...
My primary style is twists

I wear twists m thru r and then take down fri morn to wash and twist back up sunday afternoon/evening. I wash my hair and condition with shea naturals, i twist with ms jessies baby buttercreme, and daily moisturize with cantu....im thinking about sealing with crisco..lol

Im natural

I guess i restyle after 3 days...thats if i take the twists out...i mostly do twistouts to remind
Myself to wash my haIr...still working on a consistent reggie

Retention and growth are my goals

BERlin

I usually wear twist outs. Chunky or small, pulled back into a ponytail or bun. Occasionally I will wear a braid out.

Co-washing at least once a week (I'm hoping I can find time to make it every four days though). Shampoo every third wash with Giovanni Triple Treat or Taliah Waajid Childrens. Co-wash with whatever's on hand - AO Camelia, Tresemme Naturals, Elucence usually. No deep conditioning schedule, oil rinsing after each shampoo. I shampoo, detangle, and condition while in chunky twists. I twist with Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave-in and Aethiopika Twist Butter or whatever oil is on hand. Twists are re-moisturized every other night with Darcy's Botanicals Leave-in.

Natural.

A more stable regimen. Healthier ends (post my trim in early January)

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after:
I'm going to try for two days.

Starting Pic: (the lowest layer of my stretched hair is just above BSL, the highest layer is at chin length)

Attachments

• Photo on 12-15-11 at 6.33 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-15-11 at 6.33 PM.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo on 12-15-11 at 6.34 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-15-11 at 6.34 PM.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo on 9-10-11 at 7.34 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-10-11 at 7.34 PM #2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo on 9-10-11 at 7.34 PM.jpg
    Photo on 9-10-11 at 7.34 PM.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

SimJam

starting pics

In the last challenge I took progress pics with twists in and I really didnt think they were good for comparisons as the legth of the twists changed depending on if I did chunky, small, mini and if I did them on wet or dry hair. Just too many variables.

so I will post my twists to show styles, but I will measure progress on loose hair:yep:

Attachments

• front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 35
  • temple 24 dec 2011.jpg
    temple 24 dec 2011.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 38
  • RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 37

lovely_locks

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Bunning is my primary style. Once in a while I will add a flat twist, or a french braid, just to change it up.
  1. What is your style maintenance regimen?
Co wash every other day (I work out hard, and I have Psoriasis on my sclap so I need to keep using my shampoo 2-3 times a week) I also moisturize and seal everyday, especially my ends. I am drinking 56 ounces of water a day.
  1. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I am currently relaxed (two weeks post) but I am really thinking about transistioning.
  1. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
I am really hoping that my ends will be looking much better. I recently colored my hair, and my ends have paid hte price.
  1. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days.
  1. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 30

EasypeaZee

]Meeee too!! I wanna join!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?[/B] Twists and braids

What is your style maintenance regimen? cowash, moisturize and retwist

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? APL by December

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? No I plan to leave my twists in for a month and then retwist in order to keep my manipulation down and my retention up... Forgive my face and the size of the pics. Idk how to resize them :(

JustGROWwithIt

Lovely locks I totally understand the colored ends problem! I did the same thing about a year ago and my hair broke off ridiculously. I also wasn't taking care of my hair very well then either so that didn't help. I still have dye on the last few inches of my hair and my ends are terrible, better than before, but not great. I am still seeing breakage, but not as bad. I'm progressively trimming them off and then I will be officially done with any chemicals ever put on my hair!

futurelonglocks

Count me in!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mini-twists

What is your style maintenance regimen? Mini-twists for 2 wks at a time, cowash every other day

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? RETENTION

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Its in my siggy - those twists were done on 12/14

Last edited:

NaturallyTori

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and braids.
What is your style maintenance regimen? I want to keep my twists/braids in for at least two or three weeks at a time. I plan on co-washing and deep conditioning twice a week. Moisturize and seal daily. I will continue to take vitamins, drink plenty of water, and maintain a healthy diet. When I take the twists down, I will either Henna or just wash and condition, and re-twist or re-braid hair.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural.
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I just want to retain.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Three days.
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I will post a picture on January 1st. :)