Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

JudithO

Not officially in this challenge (yet) but I twisted up my hair today and thought to share pictures :)

ETA: I'm in....

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mostly 2-strand twists + bun.
What is your style maintenance regimen? I moisturize and seal every other night, wash biweekly in my twists and redo my twists monthly. Will incorporate oiling scalp with castor oil.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? MBL is my goal for 2012. Retain at least 0.5 inch monthly (that's my regular growth) .. I'm taking Nioxin 1/day too.. just incase it helps.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I never really wear my hair out. I usually put it in another protective style.
Include Starting Pic: Siggy shows current length + pics attached.

Attachments

• Back - Dec 31, 2011.jpg
    Back - Dec 31, 2011.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Front - Dec 31, 2011.jpg
    Front - Dec 31, 2011.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

NaturallyTori

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and braids.
What is your style maintenance regimen? I want to keep my twists/braids in for at least two or three weeks at a time. I plan on co-washing and deep conditioning twice a week. Moisturize and seal daily. I will continue to take vitamins, drink plenty of water, and maintain a healthy diet. When I take the twists down, I will either Henna or just wash and condition, and re-twist or re-braid hair.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural.
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I just want to retain.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Three days.
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I will post a picture on January 1st. :)

Here are my starting pictures:

Attachments

• 001-1.jpg
    001-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 002-1-1.jpg
    002-1-1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 003-2-1.jpg
    003-2-1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 45

thaidreams

Please add me!!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists & buns

What is your style maintenance regimen? DC airdry into twists/braids or buns

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Full WL or HL by end of year

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? Yes

Starting pic:

silentdove13

I am so excited to be back to LHCF and hope that 2012 is a great year for my hair to get back on track.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? twist
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? need to rework it since I fell off two years ago but will be returning to DC'ing once a week, properly detangling my hair and no heat
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? discipline, growth
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I think I will do 3 days in case my school schedule gets hectic
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
in signature

JustGROWwithIt

I will be back later to update my post and add a starting pic. I am twisting my hair up tonight and hope to leave them in for 2 weeks but I don't know if they will stay neat that long. We'll see! Right now I am steaming but I will take my starting pic when I am done.

gvin89

Installed my first set of twists....they came out well but the crown seems a little spacey. I gotta learn proper parting to make them full. Also tried flat twisting for the first time...I need to work on the tension but they came out well for my first stab at it.

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

My phone died this week! This is a twistout result from mid December. I am using a temporary flip phone that takes terrible pics and it doesn't connect to my pc. AT&T is sending me a phone this week. Please give me until this weekend to post recent pics. I'm in two strand twists as we speak!

Attachments

• Green M & M.jpg
    Green M & M.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 28

babylone09

Count me in I have been in twist for a week now. My main style will be twist or a bun. My routine will be co wash once a week or every two weeks moisturize and seal at least twice a week, and steam once evey two weeks. I am natural and I hope to achieve less single strand knots and length. I will restyle after 3 days. Here are my starting pics:

SAM_0396.jpg

SAM_0407.jpg

SAM_0409.jpg

SAM_0410.jpg

SAM_0411.jpg

On the shirt I am touching the #10

Chameleonchick

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Twist hair every three weeks.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I'm natural.
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I want to be able to put my hair in a bun without having my hair in twists or pulling too tight.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Usually three days.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

faithVA

Diva_Esq

@faithVA: Thank you for adding me to the challenge. Here is the required info:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mostly 2-strand twists/twist outs and wet buns.
What is your style maintenance regimen? I deep condition overnight or under the dryer, then I cowash and wear a wash n go to air dry. In the evening, I 2-strand twist on dry/ slightly damp hair and rock the twists for several days before styling the twist out for several more days. At night, I re-twist in big sections. Every morning, I untwist, fluff and go. For wet buns, I cowash daily and wet bun using Goody ouchless bands, a leave-in, Curl Smoothie and some wax/ Ecostlyer for slicking my edges. I will alternate mainly between those 2 styles until my next length check in March at the end of the challenge.
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention of more length, healthy ends, less manipulation, protective styling, thick, lush, healthy hair, my MBL and WL goals as early as possible.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
Include Starting Pic: I am posting more pics than necessary, but I rarely post pics on here, so I felt like sharing! :) Hope you don't mind.

Length Check 12/28/11 straightened

Twists

Twistout front

Twistout back

Twistout Side

2-3 day old twistout

Typical Wet buns (1-pin up bun, 2- cinnamon bun with flat twist)

Last edited:

SimJam

Im gonna wash and deep condition today once I get home.
have my hair in a twistout from yesterday

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Washed and deep conditioned with braids for the 1st time ever. Hopefully they won't get matted or tangled before I take them out next week. They've been in for almost a month.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

JustGROWwithIt

I two strand twisted my hair last night. Took forever! I had to keep stopping and also I did them smaller than usual. I am hoping to keep them in for 2 weeks and redo them for another 2 weeks after that and hopefully get close to an inch of growth in those 4 weeks. We'll see how they hold up! I'll be GHE'ing every night and M&S'ing nightly along with applying MT and Beemine sulfer serum mix to my scalp every other night and massaging. And I will do a weekly wash and DC and a mid-week co wash with MT.

I am having a hard time uploading pics. It keeps saying upload failed. Does anyone know how I can upload pics?

JustGROWwithIt

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Right now I am primarily in Twists because I am coming from the Twist for Growth challenge that just ended this month. This will probably continue to be my primary style throughout this next phase as well. That and bunning.
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I wash and DC weekly and M&S nightly. I also do scalp massages every other night with a mix of Megatek, Beemine sulfur serum and water. GHE every night. Taking vitamins religiously. Plan to dust every 2-3 months this next year also.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Au naturale :yep:
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention. My hair grows great but my ends break easily. Twists and PS's help me to retain them. I want to be APL by the spring. :yay:
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will go ahead and say 3 days now because I work PT and have 2 little kids. But I will try to get it done in 2 days.
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I will post a pic when I take these current twists out for a length check and then I'll take a pic of my new twist set for the start of this challenge. I will do this this weekend.

Last edited:

cherryhair123

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Twist hair every 5 days
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
6. Include Starting pic
Sorry the pic looks weird but I have to roll it as I go or my twist unravel so I took a pic of one section

Last edited:

Grand Prix

I'd like to join, please! I got a major haircut and regret it so much, I don't even want to wear my hair out anyway.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Buns!

What is your style maintenance regimen?
I'll take down my bun in the evening, moisturize, and replace to the top of my head and cover with a scarf for the night.
In the morning I'll tidy up my edges with some shea butter and brush back if necessary.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Get into the habit of bunning and stop touching my hair! I don't know if it's possible in 3 months, but I would love to be APL again by then.

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days max!

faithVA

JustGROWwithIt and cherryhair123, Thanks for attempting to post your pics. But I don't see a picture for either of you. So you will have to try again.

1. Go to your original post.
2. Click edit
3. Click the paperclip
4. Browse to a picture on your computer
5. Click upload
6. Close the box
7. Click the paperclip again, and it will show the image(s) you uploaded
8. Select the name of the image and it will drop it into the post.

Hope that helps.

TruMe

Wearing my hair in a braidout from having my hair braided up for the past 2 days. I couldn't resist the temptation to wear my hair out today instead of waiting until this weekend. No big deal, since I had my hair protected Sunday instead of wearing it out. Will be washing my hair tonight and back to bunning tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 16