Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Evolving78

i am airdrying my hair today and bunning for the rest of the week until Saturday. then i am going to roll my hair and pin in up in the back.

gvin89

Wore my twistout for the weekend...DCing today and twisting it back up - probably chunky twists.

MaraWithLove

Ladies, i'm sorry, but I think I'm going to drop this challenge. :nono: My hair likes being free a great deal better and when I do have a twist/braid style in, I only plan to keep it in for a few days, so that wouldn't work. I wish you all success, however!

Imani

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Bun during the work week on twisted out hair.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
I usually wet my hair at night (but not soaking wet) and immediately slick the front down with castor oil, put in a few twists, and tie a scarf on it.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Just trying out different things to see what my hair likes. Trying to find a balance between styles that are healthy for my hair, doesn't require an extreme amount of time, and that I feel attractive in. I've tried twists-very time consuming, doesn't last long/frizzes up, and they don't look as full as I would like them. So I've been bunning.

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Most likely 2 days, over the weekend.

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Not the best pics, was rushing out the house. Sloppy banana clip bun

Attachments

• HPIM0735.jpg
    HPIM0735.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 54
  • HPIM0738.jpg
    HPIM0738.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

TruMe

I need some hair bunning examples because I seem to be doing the same thing over and over again. Here are my buns for this past week. I guess I need to spend some time at Target and pick up some more hair accessories as well to help the with styling.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 48
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 46
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 47
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 49

futurelonglocks

futurelonglocks i just watched a video by naptural85 where she said the very same tihng ... smaller twists = less frizz

http://www.youtube.com/user/Naptural85#p/u/0/TdlunJnsvmI

I ended up doing my bangs in mini twists after watching that video lol ... im gonna try keep these in for as long as possible and also test washing on them to see how my hair deals with it before I spend a whole wekend putting them in then look like a fuzzball the first time I wash ... i would not be happy at all.

The twist in my siggy are my mini twists. They lasted 2 wks with cowashing every other day and spritzing on the days that I don't wash. It took my about 6hrs to do those! When I put in my 2nd set of twists (used the same cowash routine) I made them a little bigger and they lasted 2 wks as well but I probably couldve taken them out a few days earlier because they were looking a little rough!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
It's been three weeks, and I'm eager t take my twists out. I think they look fine, but I want to wear my puff or bun next week, then re-twist.

Curlykutie

I'm dropping out of this challenge, because I want to get my hair braided. I've had some personal problems and doing my hair is just not a priority right now. Good Luck all.:ohwell:

Nubenap22

Washed, conditioned ( protein and moisture ) , Acv spray +leave in, and then twisted with world of curls activator and it looks way better than the first time I did it. I twisted on wet hair. I hope to leave this in for 2 weeks then do a long awaited henna treatment.

How does it look honestly??

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 38

JudithO

I took my twists out last weekend and I put my hair in braids with extensions... Will have this in for 8 weeks.... This will definitely keep my hands out of my hair.

SimJam

Imani ... your hair is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!

this is my bun and fake bun, Im gonna wear the bun for 3 days then twist on dry hair.

Attachments

• DSC02270.jpg
    DSC02270.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02279.jpg
    DSC02279.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 34

Nubenap22

Thanks!! I'll probably do a henna gloss when I take these down hopefully in 2 weeks. I'm not baggie-ing my whole head like last time. Shortened the time I could wear them...Maybe occasionally baggie the ends. I'm just trying to improve my retention bc I know I can grow but I need to retain!!

Imani

I've been having some breakage. Starting to wonder if I am wearing my hair out/loose too much with the twist outs/buns and if maybe I need to be wearing some type of braids/twists. But I'm afraid to get extensions and I don't like them with just my own hair.

But before I assume its my styling choices, I'm stepping up my conditioning/moisturizing which I've been kinda slipping on lately. I did a protein treatment with Aubrey Organics blue green Algae and Island Naturals last night. It does feel better. I like the Island Naturals way better than the Honeysuckle Rose-people have raved about the latter for years but it just never worked for me.

faithVA

I've been having some breakage. Starting to wonder if I am wearing my hair out/loose too much with the twist outs/buns and if maybe I need to be wearing some type of braids/twists. But I'm afraid to get extensions and I don't like them with just my own hair.

But before I assume its my styling choices, I'm stepping up my conditioning/moisturizing which I've been kinda slipping on lately. I did a protein treatment with Aubrey Organics blue green Algae and Island Naturals last night. It does feel better. I like the Island Naturals way better than the Honeysuckle Rose-people have raved about the latter for years but it just never worked for me.

I think that is a good decision. Breakage isn't always due to the style. And with the cooler weather, I know our hair can use the extra TLC.

faithVA

Washed, conditioned ( protein and moisture ) , Acv spray +leave in, and then twisted with world of curls activator and it looks way better than the first time I did it. I twisted on wet hair. I hope to leave this in for 2 weeks then do a long awaited henna treatment.

How does it look honestly??

It looks good and healthy and has a nice shine. It looks like it should do quite well for two weeks. And each time you do it, it will get better. :yep:

faithVA

I took my twists out last weekend and I put my hair in braids with extensions... Will have this in for 8 weeks.... This will definitely keep my hands out of my hair.

judy4all, there are no extensions allowed in this challenge. But if you aren't an official challenger, and just hanging out with us that's cool. Enjoy your extensions though. I know you needed a break.

JudithO

faithVA oh no... i saw twists/braids/bun... i thot braids included extensions... dang.. so sorry ladies.. really didnt think i was violating the rules... dang.... ok... ill be cheering from from the sides... i guess i'm off the challenge.... (oh nooooooo....... )

Chameleonchick

I'm out. Very bad hair day this morning put a wig on as a back up. Good luck to the rest of you though. I'll still be watching from the sidelines.

Sent from my A100 using A100

faithVA

I did my hair way too late last night so I have mini twists in the front 2" of my hair and have bunned the rest. I will definitely take some pictures tonight. I really need to get my pictures posted.

I am starting to like the way my twists hang in the front. Looking forward to getting 3" more of hang time on the sides and the back. Especially the back.

Melaninme

I'm on my second day of wearing a twist-out. Wash day isn't until Saturday, so I'll bun it starting tomorrow night until wash day, then I'll either twist or braid.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
sooo i've drifted from my original routine, but i'm still on this challenge.
first week of january i started using the shea moisture curl & shine kit including the shampoo, milk, smoothie, and mist. i don't know how i feel about it really. i like the shampoo, and the mist seems nice, but that milk and smoothie is weird to me. idk its hard to describe, but i did get an updo done out of a braidout and it includes twists.:look:

then the last two weeks i've been back to my braidout and twistout buns while still using the shea moisture line. i still don't know yet exactly how i feel about it but i'll clarify and try it again soon.
oh and i flat ironed my hair last week but i'm still bunning!:yep:

faithVA

sooo i've drifted from my original routine, but i'm still on this challenge.
first week of january i started using the shea moisture curl & shine kit including the shampoo, milk, smoothie, and mist. i don't know how i feel about it really. i like the shampoo, and the mist seems nice, but that milk and smoothie is weird to me. idk its hard to describe, but i did get an updo done out of a braidout and it includes twists.:look:

then the last two weeks i've been back to my braidout and twistout buns while still using the shea moisture line. i still don't know yet exactly how i feel about it but i'll clarify and try it again soon.
oh and i flat ironed my hair last week but i'm still bunning!:yep:

That hairstyle looks cute.I wish you had more pictures of it because I can't quite see it as close as I want :lick: :lol: But it does look good.