Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

faithVA

Wait a minute was I allowed one pass?? If so that was my pass because my hair is good to go now.

The rules are that you must wear your hair in twists, braids, buns (with only your hair) for 5 consecutive days. Then what you do on your 2 or 3 day break is on you.

faithVA

I am wearing the front of my hair in mini twists and the back in a bun. I like the bun. It looks pretty good considering my length. But I am quickly realizing that I don't want to go through the effort to bun my hair every morning :lol: That's way too much for me. I would rather spend the time 1x a week to twist my hair versus spending minutes every morning bunning it. So I am going to get back to twists and leave the buns for emergencies and special occassions.

Maybe when my hair is longer it will be easier. And I also don't think I will be doing box braids any time soon either. They were ok but nothing special.

SimJam

faithVA Ive had my bun in for 2 days now ... bunned on wet hair, used some Oyin hair dew as leave in. then used aloevera gel on the front and sides, used my tangle teezer to smooth and tied it down. this morning I just used a spray bottle to wet the front of my hair, smoothed again, applied some Oyin burnt sugar pamde to my edges and tied down.

I havnt un-done the actual bun since sunday night when I washed... oh and I remoisturized my lil pony puff. Wore my real hair today :) (not the draw string pony puff)

will add pics when I get home

menina I also love that style ... can you please add some more pics ... it looks like you put your twists up into 3 buns , like a mowhawk with 3 buns

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
That hairstyle looks cute.I wish you had more pictures of it because I can't quite see it as close as I want :lick: :lol: But it does look good.

It was done very quick and last minute. Yes SimJam that was the idea i was going for. A flat twist in the front and on the sides, then a bunny mohawk, and i pinned the nape area up. here's a couple more attached to this post.

Attachments

• 01052012_011.jpg
    01052012_011.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 42
  • 01052012_013.jpg
    01052012_013.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 01052012_017.jpg
    01052012_017.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=244830 said:
SimJam[/USER];15128319]@faithVA Ive had my bun in for 2 days now ... bunned on wet hair, used some Oyin hair dew as leave in. then used aloevera gel on the front and sides, used my tangle teezer to smooth and tied it down. this morning I just used a spray bottle to wet the front of my hair, smoothed again, applied some Oyin burnt sugar pamde to my edges and tied down.

I havnt un-done the actual bun since sunday night when I washed... oh and I remoisturized my lil pony puff. Wore my real hair today :) (not the draw string pony puff)

will add pics when I get home

@menina I also love that style ... can you please add some more pics ... it looks like you put your twists up into 3 buns , like a mowhawk with 3 buns

What are you using to make the bun? So far the only type of bun I can do is a banana clip bun. My hair isn't long enough for any other type.

I tried to do a puff on wet hair once :nono: When that stuff started to shrink up I though my scalp was going to fall off :lol: I realized that my hair has too much shrinkage to try it on wet hair. When my hair gets longer, I think I can because I can do dfiferent types of buns but not right now.

faithVA

[USER=32271 said:
Chameleonchick[/USER];15128213]Okay then can I get back in please?? I didn't know about that.

Sure you can rejoin. The rules are in the 1st post if you want to reread the challenge.

faithVA

It was done very quick and last minute. Yes @SimJam that was the idea i was going for. A flat twist in the front and on the sides, then a bunny mohawk, and i pinned the nape area up. here's a couple more attached to this post.

Thanks for the extra pictures. It really looks good. :yep:

SimJam

faithVA I cant make a regular bun because I cant get it looking smooth by just gathering up my hair into a ponytail holder so this is what I do

I make 4 sections, one front, 2 side pieces and a middle piece. I make a pony puff with the middle piece (pic 1)

then I smooth down the front piece and add it to the pony puff using another ponytail holder (pic 2)

then I smooth down and add the 2 side pieces for the final stage of the pony puff (pic 3)

Attachments

• 4 sections.jpg
    4 sections.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 28
  • front section added.jpg
    front section added.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 31
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 31

faithVA

I had enough of the bun. So last night I twisted the hair up for the night. And this morning I separted each twist into multiple twists for a neater look. And I have these twists pulled back into a mini bun.

This is much more me. :lol: So tonight all I have to do is moisturize and seal my ends. And in the morning I will just tuck the ends under.

At least I am coming to grips on what styles I am really willing to do.

SimJam

I also had enough of my bun lol... twisted into chunky twists last night and will keep until the weekend. will add pics when I get home

faithVA

It's funny how long I have waited to bun, wanted to bun and now that I can do at least somewhat of a bun, I'm like Naw, No thanks :lol: I'm all over the place.

SimJam

LOL thats so true !!!!!... and I look so odd with my hair pulled back (yesterday a co-worker told me I look so different but she couldnt put her finger on it) ... I've found that I really like big lioness hair LOLOLOL

futurelonglocks

Currently im on my 3rd set of twists, still doing my cowash routine. Its easier to manage my twist because I am training for a 5k race.
Below is my first bun, done on twist out hair, me likes this and I see myself doing it more often

IMG-20120116-00406.jpg

Ronnieaj

futurelonglocks, VERY nice! That looks lovely.

My last set of twists lasted for only 2 weeks before they begged to come out. I admit, I rocked a twistout for 2 days, and everyone loved it. People are used to seeing my hair in twists or in a bun.

I'm in a bun for this week, and then I'll retwist. While I truly enjoy my buns, and the fact that my hair is actually long enough to twist around the donut and use nothing to hold it down (which I'm too chicken for, so I still pin it), I prefer the versatility of twists, even when they get funky looking :grin:.

Nubenap22

faithVA I cant make a regular bun because I cant get it looking smooth by just gathering up my hair into a ponytail holder so this is what I do

I make 4 sections, one front, 2 side pieces and a middle piece. I make a pony puff with the middle piece (pic 1)

then I smooth down the front piece and add it to the pony puff using another ponytail holder (pic 2)

then I smooth down and add the 2 side pieces for the final stage of the pony puff (pic 3)

Good Lord woman your hair is thhiickk!! I can't wait till mine gets thicker and longer!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
cowashed my braids almost everyday this week. Will be rebraiding and dying this weekend. will post pics

TruMe

Here are my buns for the week. I forgot to take a pic on Monday and because I bunned Sunday, I decided to wear my hair out on Thursday. I really hope this is doing my hair some good. I would really like for my hair to move past APL this year.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 38
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 37
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 41
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 38

Chameleonchick

So right now I'm in my best set of medium sized twists ever. I braided the roots and used flaxseed gel on them. I did it on Wednesday. All I gotta say is wow. They look good and they feel so soft but they aren't getting frizzy on me.

Successfulmiss

Adding new pic for the challenge faithVA

The rest of my pics are in my siggy and avatar :)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm still in a bun. Hopefully I'll have the chance to wash and condition on Saturday, then twist on Sunday.

I find myself regularly twisting my hair these days - they're such a saviour for my natural hair! I spent the whole 2 hours the other night twisting up my hair whilst watching the movie Burlesque (which is awesome by the way :)). I'm not sure if I'll keep them in indefinitely for the whole 3 months of this challenge, since I'm thinking of getting a weave sometime soon. I guess I also ought to post pics sometime, which I will try to do when I'm not so lazy :p:

Nubenap22

My twists are still holding up quite well.What I've learned this week...not to baggy ( makes me sick and makes my twists all kinds of frizzy...not saying I won't baggy on a later date just not for the rest of this challenge )World of curls activator gel is doing my twist JUSTICE!! My ends still are healthy...I've snipped a few splits and ssk's.

Soooo next week the plan: wear a twist out!! Oils, detangle, wash, henna, condition, and either twist or do a set of medium braids.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Pics of my new braids. Braided with Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade and MyGel. Blowdried with Darcys Pumpkin leave in, Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and Grapeseed oil:

Let's not forget about the dye.

MeowMix

ooowee, I am LATE checking in. I can't believe its already the 29th!!! AND, I wore a dark top for my update picture. Sorry y'all.

Its been basically cowash and cornrow here. I did break down and order that parting comb I saw on Kimmaytubes channell. Believe me I got it quick. She's pregnant and staying about business. I can just picture here and that tummy waddling to the post office:) Anyway, I have always struggled with my parts and that comb has made a big difference.

discodumpling

Wearing a wet bun with two twists in front (for interest LOL!) I'll change the pony to a french roll or some kind of pin up if I leave my neighbourhood. Other than that i'll be sticking to a rinse or co wash after each work out.

One of my aims this year was to wear my hair up the majority of the time so far so good. I definitely stuck with that for the month of January.

cch24

I've been doing the most with my hair lately but I'm back to daily cowashing and bunning. It's just easier for me, and I know my hair loves it. Taking my graduation pictures on Friday, so I'll be getting my hair straightened. I'll post pictures. I'll probably leave my hair straight for 4 or 5 days. We'll see...

faithVA

My hair was in twist Friday and they were crazy fuzzy, probably because my hair just needed more moisture. I was going out Saturday, so I rinsed my twist, took them out, applied oil and conditioner and did a wet bun. Last night I DCd, applied oil and unpetroleum jelly and put my hair up into medium twist. Wearing them up in a banana clip bun today. Will wear this until Friday and then will wash and redo on Friday. It may be a while before I wear my hair out again.