Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

PaigeJessica

Thanks! I'm pumped! lol! I won't finish them till tomorrow probably *sigh*, I'm going to leave them in till after the New Year. I've never tried braiding and bantu knotting mini twists so I'm going to experiment this holiday season :)

-PYT

Did med-chunky twists yesterday. twisting out this weekend. Mini twists after next week!

faithVA

I retwisted my hair for a twist out tomorrow. I put in 45 twists in 40 minutes. I think with practice I can get that down to 30 minutes. For me that's good. Now let's see if the twist out looks like anything tomorrow. If it does then I finally have a twist out regimen. If not I guess its going into a puff :ohwell:

JustGROWwithIt

PaigeJessica
your twists look great! I wish I had the time/patience to put mini twists in my hair. :lol:
I'm on day two of putting in my mini-twists. I just did the nape and MY TWISTS ARE RESTING ON MY SHOULDERS!!! whoooo!!! I'm so excited right now :dance7: Can't wait till I'm BSL and my twists are at my armpits lol!

lolascurls

I'm still wearing twists in some style! I wore chunky twists and now I have changed to the single braids in the back with two-strand twists in the front!
Trying out my shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie on the twists!

faithVA

Update on my twist out regimen. My twist looked great when I went to bed but they shrunk to half their size when I went to bed. :ohwell: I forgot to combine my twists into a braid to keep them stretched out. So I had great hold but it was too short to wear out. And I need another 5 twist in the back to give it some fullness. But its a start.

So my twist out has been put up into a french roll and I have taken the front sections and twisted them back loosely and pinned them up. So it looks sort of cute.

I like wearing my hear up anway and all of the twists makes my hair look wavy so its good.

I have to retwist my hair for the ball so I will try it again tomorrow.

JustGROWwithIt

Tomorrow is wash day so I will be putting my hair back into twists then...I need low manipulation styles to retain. I will be trying out a new leave-in conditioner and moisturizer so I'll see how it goes!

Nonie

Update on my twist out regimen. My twist looked great when I went to bed but they shrunk to half their size when I went to bed. :ohwell: I forgot to combine my twists into a braid to keep them stretched out. So I had great hold but it was too short to wear out. And I need another 5 twist in the back to give it some fullness. But its a start.

So my twist out has been put up into a french roll and I have taken the front sections and twisted them back loosely and pinned them up. So it looks sort of cute.

I like wearing my hear up anway and all of the twists makes my hair look wavy so its good.

I have to retwist my hair for the ball so I will try it again tomorrow.

Excuse me teacher @faithVA :wave: Excuse me! Woo hoo :wave: But shouldn't this^^ post have had photos? Some of us students are slow and not good at visualizing. So can you kindly use visuals next time. :look:

BTW, I don't know if you baggy or not, but even if you don't braid twists to stretch for the night, baggying does make the twist "flexible" so you can put them up in a do that looks like you planned it. Or you can braid them immediately after taking the cap off and let the hair airdry while you have breakfast and that should give you a bit of a stretch. ;)

PaigeJessica

I finished my mini twists yesterday after three days of working for 8+ hours a day. Man I'm so glad I'm done! :woot:
I wore them half up and half down today. Don't laugh at my sad little ponytail :lol:!

faithVA

Excuse me teacher @faithVA :wave: Excuse me! Woo hoo :wave: But shouldn't this^^ post have had photos? Some of us students are slow and not good at visualizing. So can you kindly use visuals next time. :look:

BTW, I don't know if you baggy or not, but even if you don't braid twists to stretch for the night, baggying does make the twist "flexible" so you can put them up in a do that looks like you planned it. Or you can braid them immediately after taking the cap off and let the hair airdry while you have breakfast and that should give you a bit of a stretch. ;)

Nonie, Now Ere'body knows that my camera is broken so I don't have any pictures. Now, why you trying to come in here causing trouble. Off to detention for you young lady. I should get a new camera for xmas.

And when I was complaining about my twists shrinking up, I was trying to wear a twist out. So I have to stretch it the night before to get it to be some kind of decent length so it doesn't look like an afro. I wasn't really trying to wear an upstyle. My hair needs a few hours to stretch and be able to retain it.

SimJam

hay all, I'm in chunky twists, did them today.
twisted with qhemet cocotree detangling ghee as a "deep leave-in" under AOHC yummeh

Nonie

Nonie, Now Ere'body knows that my camera is broken so I don't have any pictures. Now, why you trying to come in here causing trouble. Off to detention for you young lady. I should get a new camera for xmas.

And when I was complaining about my twists shrinking up, I was trying to wear a twist out. So I have to stretch it the night before to get it to be some kind of decent length so it doesn't look like an afro. I wasn't really trying to wear an upstyle. My hair needs a few hours to stretch and be able to retain it.

Girl, I missed the memo about your cam.

But the suggestion I made of braiding them as soon as you took the baggy off and let them airdry while you have breakfast and get ready would make the twist-out longer.

discodumpling

18 Bantu knots until I knot-out for my office party on Wednesday:grin: then it's back to my regularly scheduled twisting program till XMAS!

faithVA

Girl, I missed the memo about your cam.

But the suggestion I made of braiding them as soon as you took the baggy off and let them airdry while you have breakfast and get ready would make the twist-out longer.

Nonie, I understood what you meant. For most 45 minutes might do. But my hair won't set that fast. I've already tried it. For a good twist out I need it to stretch for at least 2 hours to stay stretched. If I take it out sooner, it will be stretched for 30 minutes, but then it will start to curl up and shrink back up to its original length.

I'm working on that cam though.

faithVA

Did a real simple reggie yesterday. Oiled and massages my scalp. DCd on dry hair with AO Blue Chamomile and sat under my heat cap for 45 minutes. Did an oil rinse. Applied SM Smoothie. And twisted. I probably have about 60 in. They really don't look that great but :ohwell: I'm glad its done.

I am looking forward to being able to pull my twists into a low pony. Right now I can put mosts of my twists into a high bun. But even that requires quite a bit of work.

So I guess my next goal is getting all of my twists EASILY into a high bun.

pookaloo83

Had this twistout in since Saturday. So today I'm going to was after work, then put in bigger twists and do the style in that yt link that I posted earlier.

Nonie

@Nonie, I understood what you meant. For most 45 minutes might do. But my hair won't set that fast. I've already tried it. For a good twist out I need it to stretch for at least 2 hours to stay stretched. If I take it out sooner, it will be stretched for 30 minutes, but then it will start to curl up and shrink back up to its original length.

I'm working on that cam though.

Aahh...I forgot y'all are product users. My hair is very obedient but that's only coz I have no product on it. Product would cause shrinkage so that even if I stretched it for a whole day it'd still revert. So never mind my crazy suggestion faithVA.

pookaloo83

Soo..... I tried to emulate that hairstyle and it was a fail. I did my twists big like hers too. Took me bout 30 ito do. The shortest time for me doing twists since I've been in this challenge ever. :lol: But the styling was a fail. So..... I'm going to rock a beanie all week with a flat twist in the front and the twists still twisted in the back until Sunday or next monday.

youwillrise

I dunno if I updated here...but I did put new braids in last week. Today is day # 8. I dc'ed them yesterday...been dc'ing every 4 days or so. A few weeks til reveal. I dont have a mid challenge photo...I never took one...I don't think therell be much difference anyway. Still gonna do my last photo on wet braids since that's what I did for my original photo. I stayed mostly in twists with a few braid sets thrown in.

miss cosmic

I'm mad cos i've been really trying to do this challenge...but if I keep the twists in longer than a week at most my hair starts to lock. I've tried not washing, washing, i've tried twisting wet and twisting dry, twisting with and without product...no matter what I do within 6 days my hair starts to lock. At first I thought it was just tangling, but the two strands actually stick to each other as well as the hairs in the separate twists sticking together. I don't have time to twist and re-twist every 5 days so....i'm bowing out. Maybe I'll try twisting with extensions but since I'm also babying my hairline that won't be any time soon.

I thought my hair was type 4b now I dare anyone to tell me 4z doesn't exist :lachen:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Transformer TF101

pookaloo83

I'm mad cos i've been really trying to do this challenge...but if I keep the twists in longer than a week at most my hair starts to lock. I've tried not washing, washing, i've tried twisting wet and twisting dry, twisting with and without product...no matter what I do within 6 days my hair starts to lock. At first I thought it was just tangling, but the two strands actually stick to each other as well as the hairs in the separate twists sticking together. I don't have time to twist and re-twist every 5 days so....i'm bowing out. Maybe I'll try twisting with extensions but since I'm also babying my hairline that won't be any time soon.

I thought my hair was type 4b now I dare anyone to tell me 4z doesn't exist :lachen:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Transformer TF101
Wow. miss cosmic do you wear a scarf at night! Not a bonnet, but a scarf. Maybe your hair is rubbing too much when you sleep.

pookaloo83

So I put my hair into some type of updo today. It took me 5 mins. Now I bet I wont be able to do this style again watch! Lol I'll post pics this evening.