Uh Oh, New Discovery Ceramic (Hana Elite) vs. Titanium/tourm (FHI Platform)l

virtuenow

Oh boy, I think I just made a new discovery in the flat iron debate. Months ago, I searched and searched for the best flat iron on the market. I found that it came down to a prevailing factor: 100% ceramic baked plates produce the best results and safest outcome for hair.

With that in mind, I was torn between the costly FHI Runway and the more cost efficient Hana Elite. Since both have great reviews and both are the only 100% ceramic irons on the market (that I could find), then I went w/the Hana Elite. Hana proved to be the best flat iron I had ever encountered. The first time I didn't have to deal w/reversion; plus I could get my hair very straight and have shine.

Here's the surprise. I wanted to do psuedo-heat training sessions and researched Brittanynic16's technique carefully. From her youtube videos, I decided to get the FHI PLATFORM 4/10in (tourmoline) flat iron for my edges. I thought I had the perfect combo (Hana Elite for length, FHI for roots). Until a few days ago: I decided on a whim to flat iron my entire leave out w/the FHI beyond the roots--the whole length of my hair. The results were amazing.

FHI Platform vs. Hana Elite Comparison:
- Hana: still seems to crush hair straight; hair sometimes "sticks" together and has bends from the iron not "smoothing" as it goes along (even w/comb-chase method). hair feels kinda hard esp. at ends w/crush & bends
- FHI: hair is super soft...Its fluffy & has texture w/o being hard; plus its somewhat silky too. Hair has more shine; no bends or edges or crushed/tangled hair.

I never expected this outcome & didn't think anything could beat my hana. I did some research and found out tourmaline/titanium technology mixes w/ceramic to produce more negative ions. This in turn produces a smoother, softer, more shiny finish as it lays down the cuticle.

Here are some links:
http://mystylebell.com/2007/12/31/whats-a-nano-titanium-flat-iron/
http://phenomenalhair.blogspot.com/2011/02/titanium-flat-irons-versus-ceramic-flat.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/279950-titanium-vs-tourmaline-flat-irons/

hothair

Thanks for the review. I was looking to buy a new flatiron just because:look:. I have a GHD and FHI and have great results with them, guess I was just being silly, I hardly use them right now anyway:spinning:

MrsHouston

Thanks for your research. I've been trying to find the best flatiron for my hair. Being natural and all.

virtuenow

Yeah, Iwas surprised to see the FHI Platform (not Runway) do better on my hair than the more expensive Hana Elite. Alot of the research says titanium or tourmaline are better for coarse hair.

angelgrl135

I just got a BabylissPro Titanium flat iron this weekend. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo AMAZING. Hair was soft, silky, shiny, and STRAIGHT. The real test for me is always the ends and it definitely did the trick on them w/ one pass only.

I am definitely on the Titanium train now.

mzsophisticated26

I just got a BabylissPro Titanium flat iron this weekend. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo AMAZING. Hair was soft, silky, shiny, and STRAIGHT. The real test for me is always the ends and it definitely did the trick on them w/ one pass only.

I wanted that iron but I keep looking at comments saying it would damage your hair in the long run

angelgrl135

^^^^ @mzsophisticated26 I didn't get that one. That's the new Nano one. I got the Pro Titatinium Xtreme which is no longer available. Most (or all) of their pro flat irons go up to 450 degrees which WILL damage your hair no matter what they are made of.

Scientifically speaking ANY temperature over 347 will compromise the health of your hair. So if you set your temp dial to a nice even 350, you've gone over the threshold and are putting you're hair at risk.

(I do flat iron over that temp but Im aware of the risk and take it willingly)

angelgrl135

@mzsophisticated26 Also, I would take reviews with a grain of salt because, as we know from being on this forum, most people do not practice healthy hair care. And there are so many variables, hair condition/state at the time, products use, heat protectant, how many passes used, etc... that I highly doubt that people are using 100% correct methods. I'd be more wary if i DIDN'T see some bad reviews.

virtuenow

Yeah, I always thought titanium was cheap material like aluminum. So I would instantly ignore anythng that mentioned it. I was so focused on cermaic that I didn't think to give anythng else a chance. This was purley by accident that I discovered the titanium/tourmaline mix is better for my coarse kinky hair. I also found the titanium brings out my highlighted hair color better. And my hair has flow. With the ceramic Hana, my hair would be stiff; no I actually have fluffy FLOW (just how I like it)

Last edited:

blondemane

I can attest to the crushed crunch ends with the hana elite :( next time I straighten I'm using a hot comb. I spent 100 dollars on that flat iron

virtuenow

I can attest to the crushed crunch ends with the hana elite :( next time I straighten I'm using a hot comb. I spent 100 dollars on that flat iron

You only spent $100? Wow, they are at least $250 if I'm not mistaken. But eventhough my hair is straight w/the Hana, its flat and has no body. The FHI gives sleek body & fullness.

MaraWithLove

So glad you brought this up! I was wondering why my hair would feel hard from my HANA even after applying heat protectant over and over! Ugh! So glad to know it wasn't just me-and yes I even tried the comb chase method (which I don't usually need with other irons). -_-

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i want me a titanium flat iron so bad! i thought i was doing it big with my touramline+ ceramic iron but if i can get bone straight results without pressing first like i do now im all over it:yep: i just need to get the cash.....time to visit the bank of MOM:look:

outspokenwallflower

Yeah, I always thought titanium was cheap material like aluminum. So I would instantly ignore anythng that mentioned it. I was so focused on cermaic that I didn't think to give anythng else a chance. This was purley by accident that I discovered the titanium/tourmaline mix is better for my coarse kinky hair. I also found the titanium brings out my highlighted hair color better. And my hair has flow. With the ceramic Hana, my hair would be stiff; no I actually have fluffy FLOW (just how I like it)

Its funny, because almost two years ago, I was getting hyped up on the threads about the Hana Elite and FHI Runway. I was also obsessed with getting 100% ceramic plates. I wound up getting the H2Pro 206 LE (FHI Runway dupe) and although you could tell the difference from my previous flatiron (which was a FHI Platform), the Platform got my hair straighter and my roots had far less reversion. With the ceramic flat iron, although my hair felt silky and moisturized, my hair would get puffy and quick and the longer I had it, the more mediocre I felt the results were :nono:

I now have an IZUNAMI flatiron which I adore. It has 3 baked ceramic plates that are infused with tourmaline; it also has an even ceramic heater, it's light and slim and ugh, I just can't say enough. I can't believe how much money I spent on the H2Pro to get results that I've always wanted with a different flat iron that was less than half the price. My hair comes out silky straight, doesn't revert at the roots easily and I'm left with beautiful shine, swang and weightlessness.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@mzsophisticated26 Also, I would take reviews with a grain of salt because, as we know from being on this forum, most people do not practice healthy hair care. And there are so many variables, hair condition/state at the time, products use, heat protectant, how many passes used, etc... that I highly doubt that people are using 100% correct methods. I'd be more wary if i DIDN'T see some bad reviews.

this is how i take "outside" reviews too. im not going to take certain things like hair not curling back up,split ends,damage and even mechanical failure too heavily if its coming from becky who flat irons her hair at the max temp everyday.:look:

CocoGlow

Very interesting!.....I've been eyeing the Hana Elite for months now since those threads popped up singing its praises ... I was just waiting for the right funds...now I don't know :perplexed

Has anyone tried both the Hana Elite & the Hana Professional (which is supposed to be a cheaper version of the FHI Platform) to compare???

Or has anyone used both the FHI Platform & the Hana Professional to compare, since they are supposed to be similar????

mzsophisticated26

Thanks so much, I did not even think about that so now I think I would purchase the babybliss. I know I could not decide between bb or fhi platform. I like that babybliss have consistent reviews about leaving hair shiney and smooth with 1 pass.

ronie

Bumping.
Anyone tried the Hana titanium ionic flat iron? I requested it as a x-mas gift from DH to straighten my 10 months post new growth for new year's. This is my first time flat ironing ever, so i've been doing lots of research, and i finally decided on this. I would appreciate any reviews from you ladies, tia.

VinDieselsWifey

Bumping.
Anyone tried the Hana titanium ionic flat iron? I requested it as a x-mas gift from DH to straighten my 10 months post new growth for new year's. This is my first time flat ironing ever, so i've been doing lots of research, and i finally decided on this. I would appreciate any reviews from you ladies, tia.

I bought this flat iron on Black Friday and plan to use it sometime this month. I will let you know how it goes. I already have the Hana Elite. I think this is going to be my last flat iron purchase. If this doesn't work I'm going back to the pressing comb or back to texturizing/texlaxing

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

Gobal

I bought this flat iron on Black Friday and plan to use it sometime this month. I will let you know how it goes. I already have the Hana Elite. I think this is going to be my last flat iron purchase. If this doesn't work I'm going back to the pressing comb or back to texturizing/texlaxing

do you not like the hana elite?

VinDieselsWifey

do you not like the hana elite?

I like it but I still get a lot of reversion with it. I think it does kind of crush the hair straight even though I use a straightening brush while I flat iron. My hair gets very shiny and soft but has no movement. I also have the maxiglide. Maybe my flat ironing skills suck cause I just never get the results I want.

DesignerCurls

Very interesting!.....I've been eyeing the Hana Elite for months now since those threads popped up singing its praises ... I was just waiting for the right funds...now I don't know :perplexed

Has anyone tried both the Hana Elite & the Hana Professional (which is supposed to be a cheaper version of the FHI Platform) to compare???

Or has anyone used both the FHI Platform & the Hana Professional to compare, since they are supposed to be similar????

I would like to know the same thing too. I have been looking at the Hana Professional for awhile. I really would like a good flatiron for whenever I do decide to flatiron.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have to say after upgrading to a titanium iron i cant go back to another iron! I am very satisfied with my babyliss nano titanium iron