Hana Elite Flat Iron or FHI Runway...an analysis

akgirl

Hey Ladies, I've got some great information.

For one, the FHI Runway has been on my number one list of irons that I wanted because it has 100% ceramic plates and people RAVE about it. However, the quality of the irons has been a big lately issue apparently.

I spoke with the manager at misikko.com that sells the FHI Runway, along with the Hana Elite Flat Iron (also 100% ceramic plates). Apparently most of the expensive irons we spend money on are not 100% ceramic. See here to see the post on the truth about flat irons: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=412244&highlight=

I told him I noticed that I have been having a hard time finding a supplier that actually has them in stock. He said that's because FHI has significantly reduced production of these irons due to their quality issues that customers have been finding. That's a red flag for me because the iron sells for $300-$500. Most sites I have encountered have been waiting on the iron to come in. Even folica doesn't have it right now!

Two, it has white plates which many many people say have turned brown very quickly. The Hana Elite has black plates so it always looks nice.

Three, the Runway has 6 ceramic plates that are stacked on top of each other and glued together. The Hana Elite is purely ceramic with only one solid layer.

I asked him why their website seems to push the Hana Elite iron instead of the FHI Runway...if Hana was paying them extra or something. He said no, and that they push the Hana Elite because it is a great quality flat iron that is more affordable...and they see hardly returns on this flat iron which is better for their business.

The Hana Elite retails for $229 on their site. I just ordered one. I also am in love with their customer service at this point. For one, it's a Sunday and I called not expecting to speak with anyone. But the manager answered, let me place my order and gave me a break on the shipping (which is normally free for people that live in the contiguous United States, but I don't...I live in Alaska). I have a strong appreciation for good customer service.

He said ceramic is one of the safest and most effective mediums to flat iron your hair with, which I've read other places too.

This isn't a post to bag on the Runway, I still believe it's probably an amazing flat iron due to the 100% ceramic nature of the plates. I've been reading that pretty much if your iron is 100% ceramic (which is hard to find), then you'll get great performance most likely. The purpose of this post is to help with some more info for people that are/were on the fence like me with deciding on the best flat iron to buy.

Also, their site (like most others I've seen) says the Runway is in stock, but it is not...I asked him (I forgot to mention to him that this is misleading). I got tricked like that with beautychoice.com and the Runway isn't even in stock, so now I have to get my money back. A lot of these sites seem to be patiently waiting for the runway to come back in...but with no ETA. The guy at misikko did say that they are on the priority list for FHI when they DO get the Runway sent out though. And their price isnt' bad $299 there.

One last thing, since the irons ARE 100% ceramic, you need to be a lot gentler and nicer to them. The plates can break/chip easier.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT, the Hana Elite has a 2 YEAR WARRANTY. The Runway, has a 1 year.

Anyway, once I get it next week, I will let you guys know how it works on my natural 4ab hair!

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I want a FHI - right now I have a CHI and it works just fine - but WOW that is alot of money! That thing better last forever for that price.

Nayna

Unbothered
You were not playing with that man! Thanks for this I was reading up on the Hana after reading the article you posted. I can't wait to see pics!

vkb247

Thanks for the info. I went back and forth trying to find out more information about cermaic flat irons and was discouraged to find so little available. Recently I have found several other 100% ceramic irons that are less expensive than both of these. I think I will see if I can contact customer service to find out more about their construction.

ryanshope

I just ordered the Hana 1 inch as well....but my review probably won't be until mid November--I am in Europe at this time.

akgirl

Thanks for the info. I went back and forth trying to find out more information about cermaic flat irons and was discouraged to find so little available. Recently I have found several other 100% ceramic irons that are less expensive than both of these. I think I will see if I can contact customer service to find out more about their construction.

Nice! What are the other irons? Just out of curiousity, after the Hana, I'm done buying irons hopefullyl!

varaneka

ok I am so glad that you guys on LHCF mentioned misikko because I would kick myself if I had ordered the FHI Runway for Christmas and then read this afterward!

Thank you! I want the Hana Elite, the Hana Mini, and the Hana Shine serum. lol PJ TO THE FULLEST!

Globeleza

I saw the same info on the Missiko site and wondered why they seemed to be pushing the Hana elite over the Runway. I bought a 100% ceramic iron about 3 years ago called an ADST EX. It was $350 at the time I bought it. It still functions wonderfully but only reaches about 360 degrees and I want to have something to handle my new growth when I am doing long stretches. I am not sure if I wanna go for the Hana or the FHI so if anyone cares to post a review I would be very grateful.

Keshieshimmer

Would you like to share? lol

vkb247

Nice! What are the other irons? Just out of curiousity, after the Hana, I'm done buying irons hopefullyl!

Amika is the one I am most interested in. Herstyler is another name. There are about 5 other names that I am not so sure of like Hairart or HAI but I am not sure if these other are 100% or not. I am going to see is customer service can tell me for sure.

akgirl

ok I am so glad that you guys on LHCF mentioned misikko because I would kick myself if I had ordered the FHI Runway for Christmas and then read this afterward!

Thank you! I want the Hana Elite, the Hana Mini, and the Hana Shine serum. lol PJ TO THE FULLEST!

That's so interesting that you said that! He threw in the blue travel Hana mini to my package...for free and the shine serum...free, so I will let you know what I think! He was AWESOME...I got really lucky somehow cause they weren't even open today

varaneka

That's so interesting that you said that! He threw in the blue travel Hana mini to my package...for free and the shine serum...free, so I will let you know what I think! He was AWESOME...I got really lucky somehow cause they weren't even open today

that's the one I want! THE BLUE ONE

I can't wait for your review, esp of the serum because the misikko page on "the truth about flat irons" has me wanting to be extra picky about heat protectant products.

Crystal

Interesting. I broke my Runway's the other day so I'm trying to replace them. I had a similar conversation with the owner of a different site who sells Runway's but is pushing the H2Pro. He basically said the same thing your guy said. FHI is having some serious manufacturing issues since switching manufacturers and they're trying to resolve it hence the low stock.

He said the Runway and the H2Pro are the same exact iron but due to a company split, H2Pro has the old manufacturer and Runway has the new manufacturer that is having the quality issues.

I'm going to try the H2Pro. They have a 30 day return policy and a 3 year warranty. So if I don't like it, I'll send it back.

chelleypie810

I have a herstyler...and my hair is blinging w/o any product! i used my gvp one wknd and went to the mall and me and my friend tried the herstyler. wow my hair was the softest its been in months. I absolutely love my herstyler. and its supposedly 100% ceramic..i know that my gvp def. can't even compare.

akgirl

Interesting. I broke my Runway's the other day so I'm trying to replace them. I had a similar conversation with the owner of a different site who sells Runway's but is pushing the H2Pro. He basically said the same thing your guy said. FHI is having some serious manufacturing issues since switching manufacturers and they're trying to resolve it hence the low stock.

He said the Runway and the H2Pro are the same exact iron but due to a company split, H2Pro has the old manufacturer and Runway has the new manufacturer that is having the quality issues.

I'm going to try the H2Pro. They have a 30 day return policy and a 3 year warranty. So if I don't like it, I'll send it back.

Let us know how you like it! If I'm not feeling the Hana Elite I will give it a shot! However, I hope I love it!

vkb247

I just saw that hot tools makes a flat iron with solid ceramic plates and it is less than $70. I have run across so many that it is getting confusing. Anyone up for creating the ultimate flat iron guide/comparison?

It would really be helpful!

Zaz

I'm still kinda leery about how they are obviously promoting the Hana elite over the Runway. Even in their history of flat irons they take a swipe at the Runway: "There are flat irons with pure ceramic plates, like the high priced FHI Runway flat iron used by celebrity stylists, and the lower profile but highly comparable Hana Elite flat iron. "
Plus they're the only online retailer of the Hana elite if you follow the link from the Hana website. Seems to me like something in the milk ain't clean, with their obvious bias. So I'll purchase a Runway from folica when it's on sale around $250

Last edited:

Zaz

I just saw that hot tools makes a flat iron with solid ceramic plates and it is less than $70. I have run across so many that it is getting confusing. Anyone up for creating the ultimate flat iron guide/comparison?

It would really be helpful!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=378664&highlight=best+flat+iron+runway+sedu

Lucky's mom gave a pretty good comparison of many high end irons and she votes for the Runway as best of the best. My beloved Sedu only came in at 9/10. Ever since reading that thread I can't help but think my iron is only 2nd best, so now I'm going after the best :yep:

ryanshope

They aren't the only reseller of the Hana Elite---I purchased mine from hairproductspro.com...but I am in Europe so maybe it is different in the US.

I'm still kinda leery about how they are obviously promoting the Hana over the Runway and the Hana elite. Even in their history of flat irons they take a swipe at the Runway: "There are flat irons with pure ceramic plates, like the high priced FHI Runway flat iron used by celebrity stylists, and the lower profile but highly comparable Hana Elite flat iron. "
Plus they're the only online retailer of the Hana elite if you follow the link from the Hana website. Seems to me like something in the milk ain't clean, with their obvious bias. So I'll purchase a Runway from folica when it's on sale around $250

akgirl

They aren't the only reseller of the Hana Elite---I purchased mine from hairproductspro.com...but I am in Europe so maybe it is different in the US.

How do you like it sweetness?

I just saw you don't have it yet, my bad :)

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
I'm still kinda leery about how they are obviously promoting the Hana over the Runway and the Hana elite. Even in their history of flat irons they take a swipe at the Runway: "There are flat irons with pure ceramic plates, like the high priced FHI Runway flat iron used by celebrity stylists, and the lower profile but highly comparable Hana Elite flat iron. "

ITA I don't buy it. Just because they say so doesn't make it true. They are trying to make a profit. Point blank.

akgirl

ITA I don't buy it. Just because they say so doesn't make it true. They are trying to make a profit. Point blank.

Yep....hopefully they are trying to make a profit off of a good product! Because I'm tired of flat iron shopping.

It would be nice if one of these companies could send someone both of them so that a good comparison could be done

Last edited:

ryanshope

I just order mine as well; I posted about it in another post about the FHI versus the Hana. One of the reasons I didn't go with the FHI was because of the various reviews I have read in regards to the longevity of the tool--not the effectiveness. I don't want to shell out $300 every 2 years for a product that isn't being used in a salon...I have had my Sedu since 05 and it is going strong...even here in the Deutchland :)

I don't mind being a guinea pig----that is another reason I order it...alot of members already have the FHI, so adding some members that are natural and have the Hana would bring some balance to the comparisons. I just posted about the Hot Tools 100% Ceramic flat iron being on sale too---but I am skeptical as to "why" it is so inexpensive...even for Hot Tools...but it may be a great product....so I won't knock it until I try it...

Zaz

I'm not saying they're the only seller but that they are the only listed online seller when you go on the Hana website. If you click on 'buy online' it takes you directly to the Misikko website and there are no other websites mentioned or advertised.

ryanshope

Oh, your post was misleading...you stated "Plus they're the only online retailer of the Hana elite if you follow the link from the Hana website."

Having a hyperlink to a preferred vendor isn't nefarious...www.missiko.com is a reputable website that makes money from selling hair appliances. I think that they may be trying to create product exclusivity, similar to how the Sedu was presented when it first came out. Originally, folica.com was one of the few places online that I could reliably find it and the Sedu is consistently one of the sites top sellers.

Interestingly most of the reviews I have read about the Hana are from people that received the flat iron as a promotional gift or as a prize....so I do think that Hana is trying to break into the market and create an alternative to the FHI Runway...we will see.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I looked at the pics of the H2Pro and it looks exactly like my old "working" Runway. I dropped my new one and it broke. Warranty doesn't cover dropping and rattling noises. :nono::nono: Trying to figure a way around it.