Update on Salon experience/trim pics...

As I mentioned before, last week I decided to go to a recommended stylist after a year of being a complete DIYer.

I was really getting tired of my knots, tangles, and the 4 hours it takes flat iron my own hair!

Few points:

1. I felt like I could've gotten my hair straighter at home but I loved how lightweight my hair felt afterwards.
2. She didn't complain about my hair once. I was shocked. She actually complimented it a few times.
3. She did mention that some of her clients use something called Brazilian Keratin/ I don't know if she was indirectly trying to make me consider relaxing.
4. She was very gentle with the blowdryer!. Nothing at all like the horrible blowout experiences I have had.
5. Her mother which was the owner of the salon, asked her in Spanish "Are you sure you can do her hair?"
6. The same heat protectant I brought to the salon she already had a bottle of on her stand.

7. And finally, I let her trim my hair. I couldn't believe I let her trim after all the horrible setbacks I have endured. I am back to BSL, but I don't regret it.

Overall I had a really good experience, it wasn't perfect but it just gives me more of a push to step my game up so one day I can do it ALL myself.

-How long do you guys think it will take me to get to WL now, realistically?
-What little everyday things do you ladies do to keep your ends split free after a fresh trim?
(ie. what's in your baggy, how often do you wear your hair down or in a twist/braid out?)

Last edited:

skatergurljubulee

I just dusted my ends about two days ago. I'd love some input on that as well. So far, all I do is braidouts with silk rollers on the end (though I'm relaxed). I use Good Hair Day pins instead of elastic bands (you can get those at Sally's or at some Walmarts- neither of those places had it in my area so I went to Ulta and got a pack of ten for two dollars and ninety-nine cents). I also make sure that I moisturize and seal with a shea butter/coconut oil (and Hot six oil) mix. Then I either wear a silk wrap or just throw on a silk bonnet before going to bed. I hope this helps. If it doesn't please discard.
And I hope you get a lot of replies because I want to preserve my ends as well.
BTW, your hair looks FABULOUS!!! XD

prospurr4

First of all, your hair is so thick and beautiful....I want ends like yours! To expedite your way to WL, make sure your ends are never dry and do a lot of protective styling.

First of all, your hair is so thick and beautiful....I want ends like yours! To expedite your way to WL, make sure your ends are never dry and do a lot of protective styling.

Thank you!! I really do feel like I this trim was good but a little bit of a setback because I really wanted to wait until I got WL to cut to MBL.

And thanks for the lovely tip I will try to make sure my ends are never dry..

soonergirl

Girl whatever tips you were doing were definitely working so we should be asking you!!!! You will be there in no time... I just keep my hair moisturized, I seal the moisture in with oil and I pin my hair up with good day hair clips or I use an octopus clip, all of the time... Wow its boring but I have gotten growth.. Oh yea......NO HEAT (or limit it) Cant wait to see you WL pics when you get there, please let us know!

Girl whatever tips you were doing were definitely working so we should be asking you!!!! You will be there in no time... I just keep my hair moisturized, I seal the moisture in with oil and I pin my hair up with good day hair clips or I use an octopus clip, all of the time... Wow its boring but I have gotten growth.. Oh yea......NO HEAT (or limit it) Cant wait to see you WL pics when you get there, please let us know!

Your hair very nice in that siggie!! I will definitely try to limit my heat but I am finding that my hair doesn't like to be kinked up all the time because that leaves more room for knots to come in.

hairdrama:{

I agree with this and I want those ends too :yep:. Your hair came out beautiful. Another good salon experience.......yay!!

sheba1

Just beautiful, Caribbean Dream! Just wanted to pop in to say that I don't think she was suggesting that you relax. Brazilian Keratin Treatment is a treatment used on both natural and processed hair to make it straighter and more manageable temporarily. 2 to 3 months on natural hair. It wears off over that period of time and your curls return. There are a bunch of threads floating around about it on the board but here's one you can check out, in case you're just curious about what she was mentioning.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350699