using Indian herbs

newflowers

Hi -

I am hoping that someone can give me some suggestions for using Indian herbs. I posted in the recipe section, but no bites there.

We are experimenting.

I have:
Aritha Powder
Bhringraj Powder
Hibiscus Petal Powder
Shikakai Powder

In combination or alone - how have you used these?

newflowers

Re: using Indian herbs - the review

Well, I'll be the first then. I checked websites for about an hour and....
at first, i mixed with coconut oil - i had to melt the oil, but the concotion was too thick. I know because I globbed it on my hair which was NOT working. So, out of coconut oil, I melted and mixed in shealoe butter (lovely stuff by the way). Still it was too thick.

So then I tried the mixed with water to make a paste. I dumped the whole thing - oil, herbs, butter and all into a saucepan and kept it at a lower simmer for about 10 minutes. I tried to spray it but it clogged the sprayer. So, my daughter dumped it over my head while i massage it in. Nice and warm, it felt really good.

Baggie and plastic cap with heated towel over the head and I set about my usual evening business. After a couple of hours, I finally got to the shower. I rinsed it out and, amazingly, what was an oily glob, made my hair super clean. Not stripped and dry, just really, really clean with a neutral scent. The girls said the mix was stinky, so we were surprised at the lack of scent. I put the last (sigh and a tear) of my Phtyokarite and a bag, and a heating cap for 30 minutes and rinsed. My hair feels wonderful - clean and moisturized. It was like using a chelating shampoo and then conditioning. Very nice.

I can say that the mixture was a little grainy and took a bit to rinse out, but the results were wonderful. I have all of this new growth and NO idea how to deal with it in between braids besides wash, condition, and put it back into my teensy, tiny pony tail until it is time to braid again. While I have every intention of relaxing again when I have completed my C&G stretch, I think it is sad that a 44 year old black woman has NO idea how to take care of her natural hair.

Well, in all, it was an interesting experiment which I will repeat a few times as I am the proud owner of all of the supplies. I will clean, stimulated, and encourage growth the Indian way until I am out of powders.

I can hardly wait to try the body wrap supplies I purchased as well. But that's another story. :p

LadyD

This is the mix I use. It came from a video someone posted. I did it this weekend and when my hair dryed it was very dry. I put some Cantu Shea Leave in on it and it felt better. I see from the previous post maybe i should have used a conditioner after the treatment. I will try it this way the next time.

shikakai and amla powders.
1 tablespoon shikakai
1 tablespoon amla
1 egg
1/8 cup of water distilled water

put plastic bag on hair leave on for an hour

forgot to add that I also added some Aritha Powder to this mix.

newflowers

Thanks for responding. I definitely used too much of the powder then. Live and learn. Next time, I will try an egg for a little protein boost as well - good idea.