Vaseline is the ultimate!!!!!

SimplyBlessed

my mom used vaseline on my hair as a child and I must say my hair was very soft and full of shine u used a little after she would apply a moisturizer...I have to say as a kids my hair was long and soft...

she would sneak and use it on my daughter's hair and hey it was soft...idk

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Langt.

I tried it yesterday with pure petroleum and it really liked it, this is better than any oil I have used.
I first spritzed my hair with a water/aloe concoction. Then I applied a bit of my moisturizer/leave-in. Lastly, I slapped on my vaseline and this morning fab hair that was not super greasy (last night it was).

Chicoro uses un-petroleum, which I am going to try when I run out of vaseline.

I think they work the same because they are both very heavy.

Make sure you put on enough, you have to put on the amount that will make your hair stick together, in the morning your hair will be very soft.
check out this thread to find out what I am talking about; in case you have not read it yet.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...i-double-dare-you-take-7-day-v-challenge.html

Last edited:

TeeWhyAre

last night I melted vaseline and mixed it with mustard oil. I think I'm gonna try this out for a while and see if I notice any improvement in my hair. mustard oil has always been good to my hair. we love each other.

Does it matter what kind of vaseline?

Pure petroleum or un-petroleum?

thanks

i think both work equally well.

Chicoro uses un-petroleum, which I am going to try when I run out of vaseline.

I think they work the same because they are both very heavy.

she's recently stated she also uses petroleum when she runs out of unpetroleum. I believe I so that in a thread.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
last night I melted vaseline and mixed it with mustard oil. I think I'm gonna try this out for a while and see if I notice any improvement in my hair. mustard oil has always been good to my hair. we love each other.

i think both work equally well.

she's recently stated she also uses petroleum when she runs out of unpetroleum. I believe I so that in a thread.

This is correct. I use them both. I like petroleum jelly better because of the texture. It is smoother than un-petroleum jelly. Also, in my hair, the un-petroleum jelly can sometimes develop a smell or have an odor. This could just be the brand that I use, or it could be that my hair just stinks with un-petroleum jelly. I don't like that odor. If I go only one week with the un-petroleum jelly, it doesn't generate an odor. But I have learned with my hair I can't go past that amount of time. I can go past that amount of time, with no odor if I use petroleum jelly.

I also like petroleum jelly because I find it anywhere, in any part of the world and it's cheaper than un-petroleum jelly.

For the environment's sake and getting away from an oil based economy, un-petroleum jelly wins hands down, though.

Lute

I'm kinda shocked hearing this. I thought petroleum was the devil... I understanding not putting it on the scalp... but on the hair itself.. makes me go.. huh!!!!?

kblc06

I just sealed my freshly trimmed ponytail with it. I use the baby scented one :) . I love Vaseline. My hair feels so soft. I think it works even better on lightly pressed hair

I have been touting the exquisite wonders of Vaseline for the longest time now. It works wonders for every female in my house.

They make for BANGIN braid outs!!!

aleemah

I'm kinda shocked hearing this. I thought petroleum was the devil... I understanding not putting it on the scalp... but on the hair itself.. makes me go.. huh!!!!?

yea thats what I thought... Im so confused :perplexed

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I just put up a post about trying this last night and I liked the way my hair felt in the morning.

When I woke up my face was a little greasy nothing to it, however, when I looked closer I noticed little bumps on my forehead. I am going to pass on using pure vaseline and I am going to try the un-pretroleum tomorrow. If that does not work I am going to use my Qhemet Amla and olive. That stuff is thick and works really well on keeping my moisture locked in.

Krystle~Hime

NOTHING repairs split ends, although some products might make them less obvious by laying the cuticle flat and providing moisture. That said, vaseline is excellent at sealing the moisture in, which results in more pliable, soft-feeling hair.

thanks for replied me !!!

And less breakage = retaining lenghth. The reason Vaseline has a bad rep.. it's because used on skin/scalp (living organism) it will clog up and will not allow anything to penetrate/breathe through. That's how powerful it is as a sealant . On dead keratin however (which is what hair is) it is perfect especially on the ends, since these are the oldest part of your hair, sealing moisture in and acting like a shield that doesn't (hardly) allow any bad external influences in like smog, smoke etc. It's heavy protecting and softening!

this is why vaseline has a bad rep,
yes it can clogging up scalp, but has the shield that it leaves is so powerful, don't you think that the ends after that will not receive properly the next cares(Deep condishing, hot oil treatment, etc etc .. ) what do u think about this, even if hair is dead keratin.

naijamerican

this is why vaseline has a bad rep,
yes it can clogging up scalp, but has the shield that it leaves is so powerful, don't you think that the ends after that will not receive properly the next cares(Deep condishing, hot oil treatment, etc etc .. ) what do u think about this, even if hair is dead keratin.

What I suspect is that vaseline will naturally rub off within a day or two and then you would need to moisturize and seal with it again. I'm sure that once you shampoo your hair, it should be fine. Those are just my thoughts.

ladyviper

What I suspect is that vaseline will naturally rub off within a day or two and then you would need to moisturize and seal with it again. I'm sure that once you shampoo your hair, it should be fine. Those are just my thoughts.

Precisely.. took the words out of my mouth!

naijamerican

hello gorgeous.

Hello lovely lady! :hug2: :wave:

Why should Vaseline be hard to wash out?????

I think if you're heavy-handed with it, it might be hard to wash out. I had a bad experience with that un-petroleum jelly they sell at Whole Paycheck due to that very reason: I slathered that joint all over my hair. It took two wash days for it to come out. I haven't been the same since. :nono:

(Okay, the last sentence isn't true but I just felt like saying it for kicks. :giggle:)

Hello lovely lady! :hug2: :wave:

I think if you're heavy-handed with it, it might be hard to wash out. I had a bad experience with that un-petroleum jelly they sell at Whole Paycheck due to that very reason: I slathered that joint all over my hair. It took two wash days for it to come out. I haven't been the same since. :nono:

(Okay, the last sentence isn't true but I just felt like saying it for kicks. :giggle:)
Maybe thats it cuz I NEVER had a problem washing that stuff out.

make_me_over

I use the cocoa butter one, I like the smell. I use it with a baggy or without.

naijamerican

Maybe thats it cuz I NEVER had a problem washing that stuff out.

So let me ask you, how much do you use? I think I would like to start using it as it's becoming quite cold over here and I know my hair is going to snap, crackle, and pop if I don't start strategizing on some ways to maintain its health. Right now it's okay, but typically, as the temperature plummets so, too, does my hair's health, especially the ends. So do you use like a pea-sized amount per twist? A fingernail amount? Inquiring minds want to know. :yep:

So let me ask you, how much do you use? I think I would like to start using it as it's becoming quite cold over here and I know my hair is going to snap, crackle, and pop if I don't start strategizing on some ways to maintain its health. Right now it's okay, but typically, as the temperature plummets so, too, does my hair's health, especially the ends. So do you use like a pea-sized amount per twist? A fingernail amount? Inquiring minds want to know. :yep:
Hmmm....that depends I suppose.

If Im doing the entire head at once since my hair is so thick, I have to use 2 big globs, sorta quarter sized ones and spread it all over. If Im doing a braid or twist out I use just a small amount, say a pea sized amount on each braid/twist. Then I dont use anymore for a few days or so. Theres really no need to go hard on Vaseline b/c you dont need it EVERY day, ya know?

naijamerican

Hmmm....that depends I suppose.

If Im doing the entire head at once since my hair is so thick, I have to use 2 big globs, sorta quarter sized ones and spread it all over. If Im doing a braid or twist out I use just a small amount, say a pea sized amount on each braid/twist. Then I dont use anymore for a few days or so. Theres really no need to go hard on Vaseline b/c you dont need it EVERY day, ya know?

Thanks SF; this is very helpful! :yep: :yep:

AlliCat

Now that I think about it, I remember my good friend asking me if I had vaseline. I laughed at her when she said it was for her hair. She's 3b natural waist length (shes mixed with black and indian, very dark skinned...not that it matters but I think shes soo exotic and I drool over her hair all the time).

Anyway yea, after seeing that knee-length girl on youtube, and the way my friend uses it...im convinced there's definitely something to this vaseline thing!!

chocolatedoll18

I'm transitioning and my dry natural hair would love this, but I keep reading to put it on the ends. I don't want to put it on my scalp but I really wanna get my new growth and line of demarcation. Has anyone else tried this and if so were the results still good since the vaseline will be on the whole lelength of hair?