Waistlength in a year by way of bunning...

LovelyLionessa

Wow.. this is very inspiring! How do I find out about exactly how to do this? I'm just afraid that bunning with a ponytail holder will break my hair off. And how do I hide the ends and still have a bun? Will someone please give me adyvice? TIA

I love this story. I also like how she put simple conditioner on her ends too.

I never use ponytail holders anymore when I bun. You can use large hairpins or a clip (shaped like a bird's beak) to secure your bun in place.

I use hairpins and combs from here to secure my buns.

msa

Do you guys think bunning works best for relaxed heads? For me it seems easier for relaxed hair to go in the pony tail and bun. I'm just wondering if its too much manipulation for naturals. When I press my hair, the buns are effortless, vs. much more brushing etc. when natural. I would love to try this, but I don't want too much mani.

Personally, I do think bunning works better for those who are relaxed. I can only get my hair to go into a ponytail in the shower while it's stretched out from the water. As it starts to dry, the ponytail looks crazy and it feels like my hair is being pulled especially on the edges. For me, there's too much manipulation involved in trying to bun my hair. I don't think I'll be able to really do it (and like the way it looks) until my hair is A LOT longer, like apl unstretched.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Do you guys think bunning works best for relaxed heads? For me it seems easier for relaxed hair to go in the pony tail and bun. I'm just wondering if its too much manipulation for naturals. When I press my hair, the buns are effortless, vs. much more brushing etc. when natural. I would love to try this, but I don't want too much mani.

Bunning can work well for relaxed heads as well as natural, it’s all about the technique.
My hair is natural and bunning has never done my hair wrong thus far. When I bun my hair it takes me less than 3 mins, not much manipulation is involved, again it’s about the technique. I wouldn’t advise any natural to bun their hair when it’s completely shrunken in it’s 100% natural state, it’s best to bun natural hair when it’s stretched out by large braids/twists, banding etc…makes for easier bunning. :yep:

Mrs.Green

I'm relaxed and I bun 99.9% of the time. I cowash. Leave conditioner in seal with oil, braid, clip to my head and sleep with a satin scarf. Then in the morning I take the braid down and bun. I like doing it this way so my hair can breath a little from being in the ponytail holder. This way it is only in the holder during the day. Keeps the tension off, no breakage.

bee

This girl at my job wears her hair in a bun most times. She wore her hair out the other day and she's APL! Mind you, she has 3 tendencies, meaning that her hair is on the fine side. I was inspired by this thread, this board, her hair, the nape of my hair growing beyond the beedeebee'd stage, and a Long Aid Curl Activator purchase, to start bunning! I hope this works!

terrigood

I am so inspiraired seeing everyone's comments and Fotki's. I have been bunning before coming to LHFC but now I see how to protect my bun styles properly and keep moisture without my ends drying out so quick. I know that by bunning over the past year my Hair dresser tells me every 6 weeks for my touch ups that she noticed that my hair has grown. Of course, she would try to trim (cut) my hair. So, I can say.... the less maintenance on your hair the more it will grow....with moisturizing your ends properly. I will try the baggie method. Thanks for everyone's support.

spinspinshuga

How do you all recommend dressing up the bun a little bit? I have a long thin face and in a bun I look...well, scary, quite frankly. From the back it's okay, but in the front, it's just awful. Any cute, non-damaging accessory ideas?

tnorenberg

How do you all recommend dressing up the bun a little bit? I have a long thin face and in a bun I look...well, scary, quite frankly. From the back it's okay, but in the front, it's just awful. Any cute, non-damaging accessory ideas?

You should PM DLewis or check out her fotki or hair blog. She is the hair accessory Queen! :grin:

Whimsy

I love that this thread comes up now when I'm contemplating bunning for the rest of winter!
So inspiring

Carrie A

All those years where I was abusing my hair.... The one thing I always did was where it in a bun. Only because I liked the style. I wore a bun all through college. I know others were tired of it but I believe it's the only reason I maintained any length at all.

janaq2003

I love bunning. However, lately I've been finding that my hair that I tuck underneath is always dry even though I an moisturizing and sealing! What am I doing wrong?

pri

I'm a true believer of bunning...I wear them 6 days a week if not daily and it helps me retain length. I take it down 1-2x daily to moisturize and pin it back up.

complexsimplicity

I don't bun, I just clip it up but my ends are always hidden. If I want to look cute that's when I whip out my fake donut bun. I just bought some EZ Combs so I can jazz it up even more but still be protective styling. I only wear my hair down once a week, if that. I've retained my length this way. I'm in the military anyway so I HAVE to wear my hair up during the weekdays.

Reecie

Thanks for the inspiration ladies. I love this post and am getting inspired for bunning!! I just had to bump..... :grin:

Janet'

I'm unofficially on the rollerset/bunning challenge- yeah, I made my own thing up! I bunned the first two weeks and now this is my 3rd week roller setting, so it looks like after this run, it's back to the bun...Great post, OP...