what 4 type shrinks more?

What 4 type of hair has the most Shrinkage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sha76

I was looking at my hair and I have some major shrinkage, but I dont really know what type of hair I have.

So I was wondering which 4 type of hair has the most shrinkage.
Does anybody know?

Theresamonet

I think it depends on each individual head how much shrinkage they will get. 4a & b hair has been known to shrink about equally on average, I believe.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I have 4a hair and it shrinks like a mug but on the flip side there may be some ladies here with 4a who has some nice hangtime. :ohwell:

MummysGirl

Whatever my hair type is :lachen: Honestly I stretch my new growth on the side (by my ear) and it's almost chin length then it shrinks to almost above my ear!

Neith

I think it depends on each individual head how much shrinkage they will get.

I agree.

All 4a is not the same and all 4b is not the same. There is more to the way that hair behaves than just coil diameter.

I have mega shrinkage and I'm a 4a with very coarse hair.

DeenIsFirst

I have fine 4b hair that shrinks A LOT more than people I know with 4a hair. My 9 inches shrinks to about 2 inches. I have a friend with coarse 4b hair that shrinks even more than mine.

Last edited:

lollyoo

I personally think it depends on coil diameter. I have really tight 4a coils, I mean once dry it like the diameter of a small. I get 60-70% shrinkage. I am collar bone length and my hair just sits on my head with full shrinkage.
My friend on the other hand is 4b with almost no curl pattern has about be 40% shrinkage.
So if you have 4a with smaller coil diameter it will shrink a lot, also those 4b with some coils or kinks to it, seems to shrink more than 4b with little to no curl at all.
This is just my opinion, not sure if it works exactly.
I also noticed as the hair gets longer with some weight to it shrinkage is not as bad.

Nonie

My fine 4B hair shrinks to almost less than 1/3 its length:

manter26

I voted 4A shrinks more. I base this on my own hair. My curly hair (4A) shrinks to about 1/2 it's length. My hair with no curl pattern, just cotton-y and course (4B) does not shrink at all.

The front of my hair sticks up on end b/c it's straight, not coily. The kink causes some shrinkage but not anything that is noticeable. In it's natural state, my bangs appear to be the longest part of my hair, when in reality, it's the shortest.

BrownEyez22

My hair is kind of soft/fine. I don't really know my hair type I just say 4a/b. I don't really do wash in gos, cuz I look bald lol. But here's one

This was in April 2009

MizzBrit

idk..i try to keep my hair stretched most if not all the time
i was thinking maybe 4a since they have clumped up coils..but i have seen 4b hair with some impressive shrinkage

im a 4b

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

I have about 75% shrinkage but I always wear my hair in a stretched out style. Even stretched I still get some shrinkage though.

DivaD04

Idk what 4 type I am but...here's my "straight" natural hair :rolleyes::wallbash:

and here is my curly w-n-g:

you look like a 4a maybe a 4ab mix if all your strands aren't the same and the shrinkage is a little more zigzag'd in every which way it can possibly go. otherwise a beautiful 4a corkscrew coil.

LunadeMiel

I'm a 3 and my hair shrinks so much. My bottom layer is almost BSL and when fully dried it's not even shoulder length :ohwell:

brianna-alyssa

Good question. I would like to know! I voted 4a. From the answers of other posters though, it seems as if it depends on each individual head.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I automatically said 4b, but I agree with most of the posts above that say it depends on the density. I'm a mixture of 3c/ 4a and my hair shrinks to NL while my true length is about 1/2 an inch away from APL! :wallbash: It seems the curliest parts of my hair (3c parts) shrink the most! :look: it looks like a cabbage patch kids hair (the ones that had the yarn hair)