What is different about this moment in time that sparked the natural trend?

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
We've had natural trends in the past in conjunction with the civil rights/black power movement, but what is occuring now that has facilitated the current trend? Is it infact just another trend or a sort of paradigm shift? Is the trend/shift occuring globally or is it just occuring in the United States? Is the internet a factor in the trend/shift? I'd love to hear what you ladies think.

lijm83

Interesting topic, I'm curious to see the responses.
I can answer on two of your questions and those are: Is the trend/shift occuring globally or is it just occuring in the United States? Is the internet a factor in the trend/shift?

I live in the Netherlands and I see it here as well, so it's not occuring in the United States alone.
I think the internet makes this trend/shift more visible, but it can be the case that because of people seeing it more (finding more information about it) they decide to start this journey.

The first question's are really hard to answer in my opinion.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Interesting topic, I'm curious to see the responses.
I can answer on two of your questions and those are: Is the trend/shift occuring globally or is it just occuring in the United States? Is the internet a factor in the trend/shift?

I live in the Netherlands and I see it here as well, so it's not occuring in the United States alone.
I think the internet makes this trend/shift more visible, but it can be the case that because of people seeing it more (finding more information about it) they decide to start this journey.

The first question's are really hard to answer in my opinion.

Thanks for your repsonse. This "trend" doesn't feel like a trend to me rather more like a shift in our way of thinking. I was just curious to see if others thouhgt the same thing and if it is happening around the world. Very interesting to know that it is occuring outside of the U.S.

AlliCat

Is the trend/shift occuring globally or is it just occuring in the United States?
I live in Toronto (Canada) and I see it here as well, bw going natural that is.

Is the internet a factor in the trend/shift?
Absolutely. I think many black women didn't know how to "deal" with their hair. Not because of laziness, but because they were unaware of their hair's potential. Which explains why many women ditched relaxers and weaves when they found LHCF :yep:

The internet has allowed us to network and talk hair. Pictures and progress are inspiring. People who were fortunate enough to stumble upon hair forums got motivated because they saw other black women growing their hair: a feat you only used to think was possible unless you were (insert ignorance here). :grin:

GreenEyedJen

Honestly, I don't see the trend at all. On the forums it seems like a lot of women are going natural, but is that the case in real life, or is it just the internet world? Okay, granted, one of my friends IRL did go natural after me, but she attributes it to me and all my talking about it. We went to a natural hair party and the majority of women there were already natural, and the women that weren't still aren't. My other friend cut her hair down low, swore she wouldn't relax, but once that ish hit her neck, what did she do?

I can't speak about the rest of the world but I've often thought that the women going natural recently (in the US) do it because the economy isn't that great and they can't afford a retouch like they used to be able to and they're too scared to do it themselves.

pookaloo83

I think it's a fad sometimes. You'll see alot fo naturals one minute, and gone the next. I think somego natural just to see what their textures gonna be. :look: If it's a 'nice' texture then they stay, if not then.......

AlliCat

Thanks for your repsonse. This "trend" doesn't feel like a trend to me rather more like a shift in our way of thinking. I was just curious to see if others thouhgt the same thing and if it is happening around the world. Very interesting to know that it is occuring outside of the U.S.

Hold up. Only way to find out if it's a trend or not is to wait...

Uniqzoe

I believe that more women are going natural because ,due to the internet, we realize the different options we have with our hair. For me I used to believe that to be natural meant wearing an afro or braids all the time and I'm not too keen on either one of those styles as my ONLY option.

I think it very well could be a paradigm shift as well. For so long many of us believed that our hair was not acceptable in its natural state (and many still do). As more and more women decide to go natural, others begin to see that not only is it acceptable but also beautiful.

Ltown

Greyland
The Internet has allow us to share informations, you tube with styles and IMO a lot of naturals are learning to be DIY, and stylist are charging more for simple hair styles, relaxers, weaves, braids.

LilMissSunshine5

I have wanted to go natural for a long time (started talking about it in 2003), but anytime I told anyone of my plans, they laughed at me & called me crazy! I have thick hair & people thought it was ridiculous that I would want it to be natural bc it would get even "thicker". I told my hair dresser of my plans and she said if I went natural, she would NOT do my hair because I have too much already...I was really hurt. But I kept getting relaxed because I was afraid they were right! I am not very talented with hair styling, so I doubted I could really do it with even thicker hair :nono: But over the years, I learned how to take care of my hair more, and decided I could do it after all. I waited until finishing my grad school program & went for it :yep: But a funny thing happened during that time...the attitudes of almost everyone around me changed! Even my stylist (now ex-stylist by the way :lol:) changed her tune when I reminded her of what she said SMH She said many of her clients had gone natural and she wouldn't MIND taking care of my natural hair (gee, thanks, but no thanks!). By that, she meant only pressing it. Anyway, attitudes (at least in my social circle) have really changed...

My family still got nervous when I said I was going natural though, asking if I was cutting all my hair off and if I was going to wear an Afro all the time :giggle: I tried to let them know there is versatility in natural hair, but I can show them better than I can tell them :grin:

But the biggest factor I think that hasn't been mentioned is the drastic improvement in black hair care products...when I was a kid, there was Grease, Pink Lotion and No More Tangles! That was it :lachen::lachen: Now there are so many healthy and effective choices for natural black hair that really showcase all the things our hair can do! I didn't know anyone who could wear a WnG as a child and I see them everyday now...I :love: curls, so that was a huge factor in deciding to go natural :yep:

natura87

I think it's a fad sometimes. You'll see alot fo naturals one minute, and gone the next. I think somego natural just to see what their textures gonna be. :look: If it's a 'nice' texture then they stay, if not then.......[/QUOTE/]

Still the idea of there being a "nice texture" and a "not so nice" texture just shows their ignorance. What in that persons opinion would make such and such a texture better than any other?

andromeda

I was just talking about this topic in another thread. I agree that the internet is the major differentiator.

I think in examining the Afro movement of the 60s and 70s and the current natural movement, we can tease out some interesting differences. The afro movement was aligned with political and social movements of a collectivist nature - "black power" and "black is beautiful".

The current natural movement isn't aligned with any such movements. Instead, it's been spurred on by the information age, consumerism and niche marketing through online retailing, the democratization of media, the dovetailing of the new "me" era and social networking- symbolized by YouTube's "Broadcast Yourself" motto and the advent of personal blogs, Facebook and Twitter. Where the Afro movement coalesced around one hair style that was supposed to signify a certain mentality and level of consciousness, the current natural movement isn't going for any ONE look or message.

Also the visual nature of Fotkis and YouTube cannot be underestimated.

Not sure how to phrase this but...the internet has also enabled more of balance between the individual and the community. The present natural community is more participatory, dynamic and engaging than the afro movement and even the smaller natural movement of the 90s.

I also think that a lot of the thought leaders and taste makers in the current movement are women who went natural in college for practical reasons and might also have a certain level of social consciousness. Their social consciousness wasn't forged in the racial acrimony of the 60s and 70s, so the current movement is less militant and more diverse.

This natural movement has also coincided with the natural health and nutrition movement, which at a very basic level means that a lot of the products that work best for our hair are available at large chain stores that have become increasingly popular - Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Vitamin Shoppe.

I genuinely believe (and hope) that this isn't a trend but instead a the beginning of a shift to a world where natural is the default and relaxed is a secondary option.

pookaloo83

natura87;12949835 Still the idea of there being a "nice texture" and a "not so nice" texture just shows their ignorance. What in that persons opinion would make such and such a texture better than any other?[/QUOTE said:
Girl you already know. I ain't even gotta go there. All I'm saying is that you see alot one minute and then they're gone the next. I have come across many hair blogs and IRL where people are like "I couldn't deal with the texture." "It was too thick" "Too dry". It seems like a trend, but I notice that some never stay natural long. In comes in droves. I don't see the trend everyone is seeing. Just onthis site maybe but not in real life. I see alot of jacked up non-natural peeps here. :lol:

Roux

I think the fact we are able to see each other and share openly about it and uncandidly. I think many, like myself, that didn't even know it was an option to not be relaxed received inspiration from others to take the leap.

Also, there has been a significant increase of naturals in media and black women caring more and more about their health and what we are putting our bodies through for vanity's sake.

I truly do hope that it lasts forever.

LilMissSunshine5

^^^I still have to work through those feelings of "good hair" versus "bad hair"...just being honest :ohwell: I was told I had nappy "difficult" hair for so long that it is hard to change that thinking overnight. But I guess my love has always been curls. I have loved them as long as I can remember...big curls, small curls, I don't care :lol: But I like defined curls...I have never been a big fan of afros as an everyday style & I don't think that will change. It has just never been my preference. I don't care if my curls are 3a/3b/3c/4a/4b, as long as they are defined so I can play with them :yay: If my hair wasn't naturally curly, I would :cry3: and do straw sets and roller sets :lachen::lachen:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
The innanets.

People can see things/people/places etc that they aren't exposed to at home. Eyes wide open now.

*I'm kinda lucky that I live in the DC/MD area, naturals are everywhere. high schools, colleges, capitol hill, shopping malls. I keep forgetting that it's not like that everywhere until I come on here. Especially since most of my friends (and my mom finally!) are natural now, some because of me, some just because we're kindred spirits.*

Last edited:

lovegymnasts

I don't see a natural trend in my area. 95% + of the women I see are relaxed, wearing a weave or wearing a wig.
There are 2 naturals in my office and they went natural after I did.
There were 2 or 3 before I went natural but they have moved to different offices.
I think it seems like more of a trend because of the internet but it really isn't.

I also think some of it is a fad.

knt1229

I think it's a variety of things. I think it's the internet. And I think it's the fact that styles and trends change over time. The relaxer, wig, weave was/is hot now the trend is moving on to something else. Eventually, it will swing back the other way.

Also, there are more haircare products available to black women. There are more style options now than there used to be for natural hair. This will make the idea of going natural more attractive to some women.

Roux

^^^I still have to work through those feelings of "good hair" versus "bad hair"...just being honest :ohwell: I was told I had nappy "difficult" hair for so long that it is hard to change that thinking overnight. But I guess my love has always been curls. I have loved them as long as I can remember...big curls, small curls, I don't care :lol: But I like defined curls...I have never been a big fan of afros as an everyday style & I don't think that will change. It has just never been my preference. I don't care if my curls are 3a/3b/3c/4a/4b, as long as they are defined so I can play with them :yay: If my hair wasn't naturally curly, I would :cry3: and do straw sets and roller sets :lachen::lachen:

I never really subscribed to that belief to the core to be honest. Growing up all the women got a perm. I never knew why. We just did. Wasn't about good or bad hair. Once I questioned why the hell I didn't have a fro like some others then quickly forgot about it.

When I found hair boards it was easy for me to get away from that idea of nappy hair and that all hair was good because I was relaxed. But now that i'm going natural i've been berated with those sort of comments about nappy hair and derogatives about me possibly BCing because my hair is so long and pretty...especially for a black girl...let alone a dark one.

I got my first taste of the frustrations I might be in store for once I do go natural and realized that it could be easier if I had a looser texture...but hey that's life everyone has their struggles.

I really hope that this movement doesn't spar a texture war :lol:

Naturalhaven

I think now there is more info online and also more naturals on tv and giving out great info online. In the 70's, my mom sd they just put grease in their hair, used their pick and kept it moving. :lachen:Now, there is a lot of info about hair textures and different hairstyles to wear. Also, alot more people are wearing naturals which could be a trend and maybe not but.... I do think some may go back straight/perms if they don't like it, get negative responses or don't love their natural hair. I LOVE mine so I am here to stay!!:yep:

tmhuggiebear

Ok I'll be completely honest. The two reasons I went natural are:

1. I was in college and could no longer afford to get my relaxer anymore
2. I also wanted to grow my hair and have thicker strands. This board helped me realize that I would be capable of growing my hair out without a perm and that I could still style it nicely.

Even when I decided to go natural I didn't really see it as a "trend". I think going natural started to be more popular maybe a year later when I completed my transition.

Tiye

I don't see a natural trend in my area. 95% + of the women I see are relaxed, wearing a weave or wearing a wig.
There are 2 naturals in my office and they went natural after I did.
There were 2 or 3 before I went natural but they have moved to different offices.
I think it seems like more of a trend because of the internet but it really isn't.

I also think some of it is a fad.

I'm sure it depends on where you live. I don't see a lot of naturals in my area either. In the early to mid 00's there were more braids, twists and starter locks - I don't see those very often these days. I do see more wigs and weaves however so maybe there is more natural hair underneath the extension hair. When you think about it, for the most part young women didn't wear wigs in the 80s, and 90s but they did e.g., back in the 60s. Everything is cyclical.

Britt

I think it's a fad sometimes. You'll see alot fo naturals one minute, and gone the next. I think somego natural just to see what their textures gonna be. :look: If it's a 'nice' texture then they stay, if not then.......

YEPPPPP!
There are a lot of naturals who aren't content w/what their hair really looks like and they will go back to relaxing b/c they realize they don't have waves or curls.

LilMissSunshine5

Roux- I had an older sister who tormented me bc she had wavy hair/light skin & I had kinky coils/brown skin, hence the complex. She called me nappy-headed and darkie and that is hurtful to a 4 year old girl who idolizes her older sister :nono: My mom and other relatives never said anything bad about my hair texture, but my sister's words were the most powerful to me...and since no one wanted to do my hair bc it was so "thick", I believed everyone else felt that way too but just didn't say anything outright. Thankfully, there was a lady at church that did my hair every week bc she always wanted a little girl but had 3 boys instead :( Otherwise, my hair would have been looking even crazier hehehe Now I understand that my mom just lacked styling skills & didn't know how to handle my wild hair. I understand she didn't think my hair was nappy, she just didn't have hair like mine (hers is wavy like my sisters), so she didn't know what to do with it LOL

Slightly OT: In general, I guess I just wish that we (black women) would be more patient with people who are honest about struggling with accepting their hair. I have read some really harsh comments online (Youtube & other forums) from black women labeling others as self-hating/low self esteem having race traitors for struggling with these complex race/ethnicity issues. It is impossible to know what baggage/negative experiences that have shaped their feelings toward their hair, so it just seems a little unfair/uncompassionate that some people just assume it is ignorance when it may be deeper and more complex than that. I am learning and growing to develop a new mindset, but just growing a new natural head of hair isn't enough to truly change that thinking...it is a constant choice to try & achieve a higher level of self-acceptance, so I feel we shouldn't be so quick to castigate women who are slower in their journey towards that :yep: This is not directed to anyone/trying to call anyone out, but I think people are reluctant to share their struggles for fear of being judged. I know I have been in the past...but if I ever want to truly embrace myself fully and get over the hair issues, then I have to be honest about my struggles with other women :yep: That was the only way I successfully worked through my skin color issues, but that is another topic for another day :lachen::lachen:

We've had natural trends in the past in conjunction with the civil rights/black power movement, but what is occuring now that has facilitated the current trend? Is it infact just another trend or a sort of paradigm shift? Is the trend/shift occuring globally or is it just occuring in the United States? Is the internet a factor in the trend/shift? I'd love to hear what you ladies think.
Yes, knowledge thru YT vids, blogs, forums, and other media is the factor that started this trend IMO.

geejay

Knowledge is power. It's impossible to give too much credit to the amazing resources that came into being through the internet.

mscocoface

It is a bonafide shift I am one of those who have made the mental shift in letting whatever is on my head grow in it's natural form and will not be changing that mindset.

It is not about looks, gaining power or gaining confidence for me. I have decided that it is truly an acceptance of what is a part of me and loving and dealing with it. This stuff is thickalicious, may draw up to my neck but it is mine, it is healthy and I know how to deal with it instead of fighting with it.

I may have said more than you wanted to hear but that is just my 2 cents.

Last edited: