What is different about this moment in time that sparked the natural trend?

FindingMe

This is my second time being natural in my adult life. The first was 11 years ago when I had my first child and was trying to be as holistic as possible for my unborn baby. I wanted my hair to look like Lisa Nicole Carson's and the only information I could find online or in books on how to manage it was Ouidad and Andre Walker. :ohwell: Didn't work. :lol: I quickly grew frustrated and couldn't take care of my hair and so returned to relaxers about a year after his birth. It was what I knew, so I was comfortable.

I always wanted to have natural hair, but didn't really know what to do with it. I made the decision to go natural 3 years ago because of the information I could get from multiple media sources (the internet, tv, books, etc.) about how to take care of and manage my natural hair.

I credit the change with many women already having the desire, but now that we are in an age of instantaneous mass media, they are finding it not as difficult as they once believed/experienced and are simply making the switch. Not only is there info out there about how to take care of your hair once it's natural, but about growing it out/transitioning, just doing a BC, what products to use, different techniques, etc. This is what did it for me.

Anne26

panda
The "natural and organic things are better" trend. Natural shampoos and conditioners...organic food..

iri9109

"Good Hair" the movie. :look:

i took my sister to get her hair cut, and the stylist saw my hair and she asked me when was the last time my sister had a perm, and i said probably like 9 months ago because i've been natural for almost a year & she was like "what made you cut your perm out...you must have saw Good Hair, huh?" & i'm like yeah i saw it, but i was already natural at the time...

mischka

shrinkage.
I'm not sure if it's a trend or not but I know in my current environment (private/elite university grad school) I hardly EVER see black women with relaxed hair. Part of the reason I decided to ditch the weaves after I had completely transitioned to natural, despite the fact that I wasn't ready to give them up yet because I wanted to grow my hair longer first, was that all the black women around me were proudly rocking their natural hair whatever the length.

I think it depends on the environment. If you go in any high school, you probably aren't going to see the black girls wearing natural hair. It's still the norm for them, which is in some ways reflective of the larger community as a whole. That "going natural" is a conscious choice that is usually made amongst older women says at least, imo, that there is something specific that causes it to happen. Whether it's a trend or not though I'm not sure...

kellistarr

It doesn't feel like a trend to me but I think it is still a work in progress. I don't believe that it's about what others will accept, but about what the black woman will accept about herself. You have to be fine with your natural hair before you can even begin to worry about what others will think.

It seems women don't sport their own texture because they are unfamiliar with it or have glimpsed it, often in contrast to the relaxed hair that is on their head at the same time and the natural hair doesn't measure up. Also, black women are enthralled with length, another reason why natural hair may be quite unappealing.

So, I think we've come a long way but there is still a ways to go. But the strides that we've taken (black women) seem here to stay. Black women are looking at their hair and saying "This is me, why do I have to change?"
They are discovering the beauty and versatility of what's growing out of their scalp and they are embracing it, nurturing and loving it.

growinghealthyhair

I know atleast for me, I was completely IGNORANT about my natural hair. I actually used to think relaxers fixed my hair problems (i.e. it was nappy, because I needed a relaxer, ummmmmmm no silly, you need moisture!!).

I was talking to my friend the other day, and her hair is really damaged. I've been trying to get her to transistion. Not so much so she stays natural(healthy relaxed hair is cool, just not for me) but I told her she needed to atleast get her hair together, and she's not going to be able to do that, by relaxing damaged hair....long story short, she relaxed, because she said her hair felt dry and looked super damaged when she took down her weave. :-( Needless to say, she's gone from bra strap length to neck lenght. And that was in one day. She has fine hair like mine, and I don't think my hair can handle a relaxer. I hate like hell it took me all these years to find out.

LilMissSunshine5

mischka- I totally agree! I also work at a university/just finished grad school and I was one of the few relaxed heads left LOL On one of my sorority committees, I am the ONLY one not completely natural! There are 7 of us on the committee! Even my roommate is natural :lol: I had to realize that outside my (academic) environment may not be like that LOL When I go home, I quickly see everybody isn't natural...but there are even way more natural BW in my hometown than there used to be, so it may not be a trend, but a true shift. Only time will tell I guess.

kellistarr

During the 70's, when I was natural, I started wearing an afro because that was the "it" hairstyle. That, and the afro puffs and then the cornrows (very elaborate styles) that I wore, certainly were trendy and felt trendy. Those were just hairstyles I was trying out.
When I got tired of that, I'd go on to the next style, but my hair texture was natural. I was natural and it was no big deal to anybody. It only became a big deal to me, when I decided to change my texture. I give the internet a lot of credit due to the fact that it is responsible for me learning so many different techniques and hearing the views of people who don't remember ever having natural hair. I am seeing more natural women and even those who aren't are very curious and don't mind telling me that they wish they could be natural.

naijamerican

LilMissSunshine5, I just want to say that I really appreciate your honesty and I'm glad that, through becoming natural, it's allowed you to embrace who you are in all your glory. :yep:

I definitely think that the internet has a lot to do with it. I loved what andromeda said; I think she hit the nail squarely on the head. :yep:

Imani

I'm not really sure as most of the people I personally know (including myself) started growing out their relaxers a little before the so called natural trend hit; and the reason was basically just had some type of setback from chemicals and wanted healthier hair. For me, I knew in the back of my mind I'd go natural "one day" but didn't have the guts/confidence to do it.

If I had to guess tho, I'd say the internet has played a big part. If I were not on hair forums and such I may not have made the jump to being natural-I have family members who are natural but they are old school naturals who use only grease and a pick. So, as someone upthread mentioned the only styles I knew of were afros, low cut fades and braids/cornrows, neither of which I am too fond of on myself. Also, their hair still remained short (unless they were dreded) and I wanted some length. But after being on the forums I saw so many other style options and also seeing that my hair type (type 4) can actually have long loose natural hair.

Also, it definitely depends on where you are, the overwhelming majority of bw in smaller cities and certain geographic areas are still relaxed. the internet gives the illusion that the trend is bigger than it really is.

dyh080

During the 70's, when I was natural, I started wearing an afro because that was the "it" hairstyle. That, and the afro puffs and then the cornrows (very elaborate styles) that I wore, certainly were trendy and felt trendy. Those were just hairstyles I was trying out.
When I got tired of that, I'd go on to the next style, but my hair texture was natural. I was natural and it was no big deal to anybody. It only became a big deal to me, when I decided to change my texture. I give the internet a lot of credit due to the fact that it is responsible for me learning so many different techniques and hearing the views of people who don't remember ever having natural hair. I am seeing more natural women and even those who aren't are very curious and don't mind telling me that they wish they could be natural.

I know PLENTY of people who wore an afro in the 70s but would not be caught with natural hair today.
So, to answer the original question, I think it is a fad. I've seen this before. Until and unless we truly transform our thinking about every aspect of our life, not just hair, it is a fad just like the '60/70s. Back then people never truly transformed from the inside out. Sure , they marched and believed in "black power" until they got what they wanted....acceptance by corporate america and a "good job". Then, they reverted.

Renewed1

I don't know about trends; everyone around me is still relaxed with jacked up hair. I've been contemplating going natural for years before I actually did the big chop in 2009.

But I don't think it's a trend.

RegaLady

The economy was the determining factor for me. Other than that, this may be a trend for me, not because I don't like my natural hair or texture because I have gone natural so many times in my life, but because I think I am content with wearing my hair in a cut relaxed(or heat trained) hairstyle.
I think weaves have allowed people to go natural. There are many things that have contributed to it.

I do think that it depends where to you are, because I still see more relaxed hair than natural.

NikStarrr

With access to so much information at our fingertips (i.e. the internet), and what seems to also be a movement in general of people with self acceptance, getting healthy, the whole natural/organic movement, etc. Not to mention, social networking which connects people to other people who are interested in the same things. I just think it has been the perfect environment.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Yep, what she said 200% :)
I believe that more women are going natural because ,due to the internet, we realize the different options we have with our hair. For me I used to believe that to be natural meant wearing an afro or braids all the time and I'm not too keen on either one of those styles as my ONLY option.

I think it very well could be a paradigm shift as well. For so long many of us believed that our hair was not acceptable in its natural state (and many still do). As more and more women decide to go natural, others begin to see that not only is it acceptable but also beautiful.

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

Fine 4s

Perspective is a heck of a thing...

I thought this 'trend' started YEARS ago like in 95 or so. That's when I went natural and it seems like many other women I knew were also going natural!

As far as the country I grew up in, I see TONS of naturals now and I LOVE IT! That was definitely a no-no growing up there. In THAT case, it's due to the 'innanet.' lol

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
The internet is a powerful medium that most of us agree, so far, is a major contributing factor to the so-called natural trend. I live in Tucson, Arizona (3%-4% African American) and although there aren't alot AAs here, I do see a few naturals here and there but there are mostly jacked up heads around these parts. Thank you all for your perspectives on this topic.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I'm not really sure as most of the people I personally know (including myself) started growing out their relaxers a little before the so called natural trend hit; and the reason was basically just had some type of setback from chemicals and wanted healthier hair. For me, I knew in the back of my mind I'd go natural "one day" but didn't have the guts/confidence to do it.

If I had to guess tho, I'd say the internet has played a big part. If I were not on hair forums and such I may not have made the jump to being natural-I have family members who are natural but they are old school naturals who use only grease and a pick. So, as someone upthread mentioned the only styles I knew of were afros, low cut fades and braids/cornrows, neither of which I am too fond of on myself. Also, their hair still remained short (unless they were dreded) and I wanted some length. But after being on the forums I saw so many other style options and also seeing that my hair type (type 4) can actually have long loose natural hair.

Also, it definitely depends on where you are, the overwhelming majority of bw in smaller cities and certain geographic areas are still relaxed. QUOTE]
the internet gives the illusion that the trend is bigger than it really is.[/

Interesting perspective. This is certainly a possibility, but why do you think that more and more advertisements/television commercials are featuring AAs with natural hair?

mischka

shrinkage.
It seems like to me you hardly ever see black women on tv with relaxed hair. Like, outside of the "regular" black actresses (Gabrielle Union, Halle Berry, etc) random bit player actresses or black women in commercials usually seem to have natural hair. The only bit player I can think of that has relaxed hair is the dark skinned younger actress who played on ABC Family's 10 Things I Hate About You (she was also in a couple episodes of Veronica Mars and was on the cast of Heroes for awhile).

I think in make up/hair product commercials, the black actress will usually have curly hair. The exception, ironically, being specifically "black" hair care products.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Well I can only speak for me, but the main reason I went natural before which was from 2003 until Jan. 2008 was because I was trying to look different and standout amongst my peers, and people I saw. I was at that time "one of the few" who had natural hair.

Then I started a semi-professional job, and had me some mola :lol: which made me go back to texlaxed/relaxed hair. I hit all my hair goals (from SL to BSL) in about 18 mos. I originally wanted to stretch my relaxer for 6 mos, and by the 5th month I decided to go back to natural.

I think for some people, natural hair is the new trend because you see more women in commercials, and tv shows with natural hair and unconsciously they want that look too. Mainstream is jumping on as well. And due to the explosive new natural hair products on the market and information found online, women can see there are more styling opinion then the afro.

Last edited:

mischka

shrinkage.
My "active" reason for going natural was that I had tried to grow my hair long with a relaxer and after a year or so my hair was still the same length and not showing any progress. So I decided it wasn't working and maybe I should say *** the relaxer and see what happened then. I wanted long pretty hair and it didn't look like I'd get it with a relaxer.

me-T

My "active" reason for going natural was that I had tried to grow my hair long with a relaxer and after a year or so my hair was still the same length and not showing any progress. So I decided it wasn't working and maybe I should say *** the relaxer and see what happened then. I wanted long pretty hair and it didn't look like I'd get it with a relaxer.

i think that's another reason too. the 1st two times i went natural was because i didn't think relaxed hair could grow.

@peace

I feel its an awakening. Women are now becoming the dominent goddess's that they should be and becoming in tune with what they want, being more confident within themselves and being proud of who they are. To me the movement has been happening for many many years, we see women ruling a male dominet world(even though women ruled but usually from the back we are now taking our stance in front proudly in many ways from our physical apperance, educational background, to even our finacial status.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
the internet
That may be one of the biggest reasons, but not the only one :look:

There could have been a shift in perception of acceptance and confidence due to The Obama's entering the White House! Obama's presidency (and a regal, athletically fit, African American FLOTUS) with two beautiful, natural haired African American daughters, had not only an impact on Americans, but around the world.

Obama's message of hope and his success of becoming the first African American (or person of color) to become President of a nation that only half a century ago did not even have the right to vote, gave more people of color hope that the possibility of being accepted for who we are (in every aspect) exists and that one day it can and will be abolished.

It is inspiring, to me at least, that Michelle Obama takes pride in showing off the versatility of her daughters natural hair to the world; having it braided, twisted, fluffed out and flat ironed, and also showing that it doesn't have to be relaxed to look properly groomed or professional. Michelle is also successful in her own right, and is leading by example that being 'natural', or true to yourself does not limit your achievement of success.

In a sense, I believe that more people are taking a look in the mirror and are facing the fact that they don't need to 'hide' or fit into a certain mold to be accepted in a white washed American society. If a person of color can overcome major obstacles and discrimination to rise and become leader with a proud African American woman at his side, then we shouldn't be so reluctant to accept ourselves for who we truly are - inside and out.

We can only look at the topics of TV shows, movies, and news broadcasts as of late to see that not only Obama's presidency, but his whole family is being scrutinized with a global microscope. Magazines critique Michelle Obama's fashion, hairstyles and fitness, Chris Rock makes a movie about 'Good Hair', Oprah and Tyra reveal their 'real' hair on national television, as if Whites or other people of color other than African Americans don't chemically alter their hair or wear wigs, weaves and extensions...the list goes on!

The world is now focused on the Black woman, for the simple fact that Michelle Obama is the first African American woman that holds the title of FLOTUS: A title that holds a sense of prestige, class, authority and in most cases a standard of beauty.

Michelle Obama is younger than most of the FLOTUS that we've had, so that places her in the category of Jackie Kennedy, which in the time of her husband's presidency also emanated class, prestige, and authority.

The big thing about Jackie Kennedy was that she was also seen as beautiful - a pedestal that no other FLOTUS was given, so I can understand why the comparison of Michelle Obama to Jackie Kennedy will cause White America to take interest in all that is considered to represent a Black woman. One of the major differences in most Black women to White America aesthetically is their hair.

Once you start placing focus on something (whether or not the focus is positive or negative) it forces you to take notice and be intrigued about it. Naturally curly, coily, kinky textured hair as a whole has been ignored in America, and often times has been shunned, looked down upon and belittled, not only by those who don't have it, but by the very people who have hair with these properties!

However, the more focus that has been around about curly, kinky, coily hair, the more knowledge is gained as to its proper maintenance, and the less fear to work with it in its natural state. knowledge is indeed power, so many around the globe have been 'awakened' to the fact that having curly, kinky, coily hair is nothing to be ashamed of and that with the right tools and products, can be as beautiful (if not moreso) than our straight haired ladies. I say, why not embrace what has been naturally given to you at birth?

I know I may have gone off on a tangent, but the overall consensus is that the internet is an information superhighway, and that primary information that people use comes from the media. American media is regulated by government and the government's figure head is now lead by an African American family, therefore the increase in Black awareness.

End of speech

(drops mic...steps off of soapbox)

MizzBrown

This is my reason for contemplating transitioning. No huge progress w/ a relaxer.

So i'm going to see what happens as well.