What is "long hair" to men?

ActionActress

Interesting question. That would vary from man to man and if one is talking about black men or all men.

If I am thinking about all men I would say the they would start to think long probably beyond shoulder. What I have taken note of is styles that are shoulder(touch shoulders) are usually considered medium length among non-blacks. Long among blacks. So it varies.

AA

NikStarrr

Most black dudes were calling my hair long at collarbone length. They seem to lose their minds at APL and longer tho.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I think full APL/BSL is considered long by most people.

I do think it can vary from man to man. What a man considers "long" hair depends on what length of hair he's used to seeing. If he's used to only seeing women with SL or shorter hair, then anything beyond shoulder length would seem long to him. However, if he's used to seeing women with APL and longer hair, SL would seem short. Think about the women on this board...pre-LHCF, many of us thought SL/CBL/APL was long since many of us are used to seeing hair shorter than that IRL, but now that we see long haired women on a regular basis here, our opinions of what's long has changed.

chasturner84

My male relatives think full SL+ is long. My guy friends consider my BSB hair really long and anything longer than that they think is fake or the girl is mixed :lol: ...if they could only see the heads of hair on this board

southerncitygirl

i think for the average black dude cause of the of healthy hair among black women and the overabundance of lacefronts, wigs, and weaves SL is long. because i've been on the forum a while now, i know that APL+ is truly long hair.

Lita

I think it depends...

A few days ago I told DH that I was going to cut my hair APL and he almost had a damn heart attack! Now I'm waist length so to lose all that length, to him, would be like me going bald. I think that at this point anything other than maybe mid-back length would be bald to DH LOL

ETA: I am NOT cutting my hair any time soon. I just like to torture him sometimes. :yep:

BostonMaria I'm glad your not serious about cutting that beautiful hair..I was on my way to get you ...

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

Lita if I had to look at your gorgeous head of hair everyday, nothing less than WL would do for me either lol.

I agree with tkj25 - I think most men find full APL/Grazing BSL long. This is the length at which I used to wear my weaves, and my DH thought that was long.

bride91501 Thank you.. My brothers are silly..

*You should see some of my Aunts hair..Talk about Thick,Full & long...2 of them keep it HL

*My Mom & 2 other aunts keep their hair Ear Length...THEY SAY/TIRED OF LONG HAIR...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

EccentricRed

My homeboys all started calling me "Long hair, don't care," around the time my hair was approaching APL. But, I'm sure it's different for every man. :look:

Taleah2009

Most black men I know would consider FULL sl to be kinda long. And def APL and longer to be long.

i agree! A friend of mines was bragging how his daughter's hair was down her back, so i said send me a pic. I was expecting bsl, or at least apl. she was just at sl... i was like ok thats not hair down her back.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I've asked DH this is the past and he said anything beyond SL is long to him.

My BFF, which is male, thinks long starts at BSL.

My DH's mother never had hair beyond NL but BFF mom's hair always hovered just above APL.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I think it depends on the man you ask. Most commonly with Black men, it's anything full SL and longer.

ebsalita

SO saw my hair out of braids for the first time in 15 months, recently. I'm "only" SL and he was speechless - "I can't believe how long your hair is". So SL is long for him...

If you'd have asked me I would have thought he wouldn't consider it long until it was at least APL... :grin:

candy626

Depends on the man and his ethnic background.

Typically I think most men would consider apl and beyond to be in the long range.

I don't think they can tell the difference between the different lengths until you get to uber long lengths like waist.

Mrs. N Lugo

My cousins husband is from India and he described my almost bra strap length as short.

I was secretly hurt, lol.

White and black men consider my hair long.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
My husband says my hair is long and I'm only SL. I guess if he's comparing it to how short he's seen and how short I've cut it in the past, it is pretty long.

hairqueen7

Well my bf always looks like a deer in headlights when he sees women with mbl or longer hair it makes me a little upset but I just be like one day ,one day when he can stare at my hair like that. O yea did I forget to mention I'm his first blk gf lol .

coolsista-paris

Mrs. N Lugo said:
My cousins husband is from India and he described my almost bra strap length as short.

I was secretly hurt, lol.

White and black men consider my hair long.
dont take it bad. indian women have wl for the most . so to him thats long hair... yup we all know how indian hair can grow

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I was curious so I just asked my DH and he said middle of the back. Then I asked if he considered "long hair" to be a different length on a white woman than on a woman of color and he said no. Interesting.

sckri23

My in-head reaction: SL is long??? I hear guys say she got some looong hair and sometimes its just barely there... Smh and then when someone had waist length like my sis had "their hair isnt long cause they got good hair!!!" What???? Crazy ppl

KurlyNinja

well if you think about it when you get past SL that kinda is "long" especially when most men keep their hair under 1-2". Even when i see a female with full APL, I think how long that is. Sometimes even full SL(SL in front as well as back) especially when it's thick, how long it is. I sometimes our perceptions on long hair are sometimes skewed since we come here and see people with BSL+ hair with no problem.