What men consider long hair---your experience??

SvelteVelvet

In my experience, men have always considered my hair at the length it is in my avi long, so I think the majority considers anything past shoulder length as long.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I consulted with my BF and he said that APL is long, but BSL is just right. Waist length is too long to him.

KiniKakes

senimoni said:
BM really consider SL long hair? I'm surprised by that, I've never asked one so I'm not disputing, but for some reason I just thought that they would say APL and longer.

I agree. I dont know anyone, black male or otherwise, who considers SL long. Even before lhcf, i considered long hair to be at LEAST apl. Never SL though. *shrug* Ehh well.

glamazon386

KiniKakes said:
I agree. I dont know anyone, black male or otherwise, who considers SL long. Even before lhcf, i considered long hair to be at LEAST apl. Never SL though. *shrug* Ehh well.

Well if you really think about it, how many black women do you know in the real world who have hair longer than shoulder length? Especially 4a/b texture? Long hair on black women is rare anyway. Most people I see have neck length or shorter. Or they have braids or weave or something else. It makes sense. But I agree that apl or longer is long. Shoulder length isn't long to me either.

*Michelle*

My DH used to think shoulder length was long...unfortunately I've raised the bar and now he has great expectations...LOL! He does feel like a couple inches past bsl is a great length...too much longer is too long. For now, huh?! ;)

Zawaj

I just asked my fiance' and he thinks at least mid-back is long. Yikes! I have a lot of growing to do :perplexed .

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
From my experience, men (friends and family) consider shoulder length to armpit length as long hair.

bLackButtaFly

bmoreflyygirl said:
Well if you really think about it, how many black women do you know in the real world who have hair longer than shoulder length? Especially 4a/b texture? Long hair on black women is rare anyway. Most people I see have neck length or shorter. Or they have braids or weave or something else. It makes sense. But I agree that apl or longer is long. Shoulder length isn't long to me either.

Isn't that the truth? there aren't enough black women out there growing their own hair instead of wearing someone's or something else's. Most of my friends have between neck and shoulder length hair too. I don't think shoulder length hair is long at all, but I guess if you never knew any better you might. My past bf's, or guys friends have thought apl or bsl or longer.

sareca

bmoreflyygirl said:
I think the consensus for most black people is that shoulder length hair and beyond is considered long.
I'm not even sure I think it's just men. I think it's most black people think SL is long and APL+ is very long.

Esmé

I asked my husband and he said that shoulder length and beyond was long. My hair is a little below shoulder length (collarbone, maybe?) and I don't consider it long at all. He said that midback length would look nice on me and that he considered tailbone to be "too long."

I ask my so and he thinks a couple inches past sl is long..He grew his hair to collar bone length until he got tired of it...I agree that most Bm think that sl and beyond is long...

sareca

Esmé said:
I asked my husband and he said that shoulder length and beyond was long. My hair is a little below shoulder length (collarbone, maybe?) and I don't consider it long at all. He said that midback length would look nice on me and that he considered tailbone to be "too long."
My DH thinks anything longer than WL is gross and unkept looking.

NuMe2004

Men considered my hair long well before I reached this length. I think my hair is long now, but didn't before. I'm like your hubby in that I think hair can be too long. I never liked hair down to the ankles. I just feel that after a certain length, the hair just hangs with no life or pizazz to it.

The only reason why I state waist length as my goal is because I'm pretty much already at mid-back, so waist is the next stop :).

Radianthealth

sareca said:
My DH thinks anything longer than WL is gross and unkept looking.

I agree:(

My DH thinks anything past SL is long. It has to be a thick full SL though. I used to feel this way now I think of BSL as long

freshlikemoi

Well my man considers shoulder length long hair. But I asked my white gay friend and he thinks between APL and BSL. SO hopefully by this time next year I will have long hair. HOLLA:D

Crissi

My so thinks collar/APL. But he wants me to grow mine to midback (he beleives its easy for me to do so now that i've found LHCF)...mid back here i come...

meaganita

NuMe2004 said:
Men considered my hair long well before I reached this length. I think my hair is long now, but didn't before. I'm like your hubby in that I think hair can be too long. I never liked hair down to the ankles. I just feel that after a certain length, the hair just hangs with no life or pizazz to it.

The only reason why I state waist length as my goal is because I'm pretty much already at mid-back, so waist is the next stop :).
ITA and relate to this entire post. Most men thought my hair was long at SL;)

whitneysimone

my boyfriend thought my sl/apl hair was long. i told him i was trying to grow it out ( i didn't tell him anything specific length goal) and he said "why your hair is already long" . I think a lot of black men...well actually I wont say that...rephrase....most of the black men I know personally are not used to seeing black woman with long flowing locks so to them seeing anything below our shoulders is somewhat of an accomplishment :ohwell:

At my school a couple of black men that grew up in white neighborhoods would ask me if I was mixed because my hair was about one inch from APL. I would look at them like they were crazy. its intersting to see how a persons race, location and upbringing ( among other things ) influences their standard of hair and their perception of what is long.

im trying to set a new standard :D

Sha76

I asked my husband ( who happens to be white) this same question the other day. He thinks long hair is APL or longer.