What is the cutoff point for waiting to wash your hair?

How long is too long to go without washing your hair?

• 1 week

Votes: 78 27.9%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 109 38.9%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 42 15.0%
  • a month

Votes: 37 13.2%
  • 2 months

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • 3 months and more

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lovelylocs

How long is too long for someone to go without washing their hair? On this site, many people do not bat an eye at some people waiting 2 or 3 weeks to wash their hair. But, how about a month, 2 months, 3 months....? At what point do you think you would consider it bad hygiene to wash your hair only so often?

Cleve_gryl

I personally, can't go longer than 7 days without some water on my scalp. I could sometimes go 2 weeks in the past, but that's not an option for me anymore.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
A week is like torture for me, but the absolute cutoff would be two weeks. That would be when I would reach the brink of insanity :lachen:

I just love feeling water on my scalp :love3:

sylver2

How long is too long for someone to go without washing their hair? On this site, many people do not bat an eye at some people waiting 2 or 3 weeks to wash their hair. But, how about a month, 2 months, 3 months....? At what point do you think you would consider it bad hygiene to wash your hair only so often?

:lachen:wondering if u musta just read a comment on my youtube. somebody just wrote i was nasty and it was bad hygeine washing my hair every 2 weeks:lol:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
:lachen:wondering if u musta just read a comment on my youtube. somebody just wrote i was nasty and it was bad hygeine washing my hair every 2 weeks:lol:
Well let me be nasty right along with you cause your hair is gorgeous! :lol:

I think the max should be 3 weeks or once a month, which is about the same I think, the reason why is because I have notice alot of ladies go about 2 or 3 weeks without washing their hair and they are retaining length..and the growth is unbelieveable, BUT they probably don't put nothing on their scalps they just moisturize their hair.....BUT if you are adding like a growth aid or multiple products to your scalp, then you should atleast wash your hair once a week, cuz product build up is not good IMO, now it also matters if you are relaxed or natural, I know being relaxed, hair can be dry so I wash less and moisturizing more often is actually GOOD for ME, but since I use to use growth aids, I wash my hair once a week, but now since I'm shedding so much and it's bothering me, and I'm always doing my hair.....I'm going to give myself a big break, and not do my hair as much, just wash and ponytail and see how that works.....But this is just my opinion....... :)

Last edited:

tinkat

Usually two weeks. If my hair seems needs clarifying and I realize itafter the fact, I wash the following week. If I have alot going on or just plain lazy, I end up washing at 3 weeks.

Oh they are whack....sylver2 you are a LHCF celebrity, some of us are trying to do what u do so we can have length like you......it's bad hygeine to go years without washing your hair, not a few weeks........they just don't know:nono:........

dlewis

I remember Sherrylove saying that, at one time, she had gone months without washing her hair and it grew at a very fast rate during that time.

BrooklynSouth

4 days is my lazy maximum. I am distracted from everyday activities by the need to shampoo if I pass 4 days without at least a conditioner poo, my twists tend to lock so I'd be foolish to let that happen again.

sylver2

I remember Sherrylove saying that, at one time, she had gone months without washing her hair and it grew at a very fast rate during that time.

i remeber too..maaan her hair grew soo long.
someone else said thy went a couple months and thy had really looong hair too.
i wish i could go. the longest was almost a month.

theprototype

I was my hair once a week. If I am wearing breadouts, I'll cowash it once or twice in between.

If I wait longer before washing, my scalp will get super itchy :(

Misseyl

I can go up to 3 weeks without washing but I rinse everyday and I don't use any products so my scalp doesn't have any product buildup. Sometimes I'll use Scurl because it gives my hair slip but I rinse it out once in the shower. Now if I use leave-in and moisturizers then I have to wash more often.

Desarae

1 week for me. I can't go any longer or my hair is a greasy itchy mess and my face starts breaking out.

Rei

1 week. my hair is very dry, and I haven't found a good enough leavein to keep moisture in for 2 weeks at a time. I used to not wash my hair for months, and it never got past EL in years. Now I wash my hair weekly, and it grew back to SL and 2 1/2 inches from APL after transitioning for a year and BC-ing in Jan. People tell me that washing is "washing away the oils from my scalp", but clearly my scalp didn't like them in the first place if I never retained when I didn't wash, lol.

The Princess

My last relaxer cycle, I wash my hair with shampoo every two weeks, however I was co washing in between. This relaxer cycle I attempted to wash every week with shampoo and still co wash and DC in between. I really don't see a difference, in washing once a week or every two weeks. So im going back to every two weeks to wash my hair with shampoo. So I think it just depends on the person. Co washing is just easier for my lifestyle. This is based on my hair type and scalp.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

1 week. my hair is very dry, and I haven't found a good enough leavein to keep moisture in for 2 weeks at a time. I used to not wash my hair for months, and it never got past EL in years. Now I wash my hair weekly, and it grew back to SL and 2 1/2 inches from APL after transitioning for a year and BC-ing in Jan. People tell me that washing is "washing away the oils from my scalp", but clearly my scalp didn't like them in the first place if I never retained when I didn't wash, lol.

Have you tried Herbal Essence Long Term Leave In then seal with an oil?

Simply_Kelz

In general, 1 week. My scalp prefers 5 days.

HOWEVER, I've had this sew-in for 2 weeks.... and only the horseshoe of real hair left out has been washed and dc'ed.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^^^ IA: With using a Growth Aid, especially like MT, I fear of having excessive buildup on my scalp.

And coupled with the fact that I tend to be very heavy-handed applying product, I think it is in the best interest of the overall "Health" of my Hair & Scalp to wash at least once a week.:ohwell: