What is the cutoff point for waiting to wash your hair?

How long is too long to go without washing your hair?

• 1 week

Votes: 78 27.9%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 109 38.9%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 42 15.0%
  • a month

Votes: 37 13.2%
  • 2 months

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • 3 months and more

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luvn_life

When my hair was in a weave, I didn't touch my actual hair until it came down which was 6-8 weeks. But, now that i rock my real hair, I can only get to one week. I used to do it two times a week but it was so much work for the middle of the week and I think my hair likes less manipulation. But, by the end of the week my hair is DEFINITELY ready to be washed. Really grimy looking.

sylver2

Apparently I'm must be the only one with serious scalp issues. I went two weeks with out washing my hair, I was on bedrest, my scalp wash white. When I say white, I mean white, full of build up and very itchy. Cowashing has helped alot.

Any one ever experience that?

i experienced that when i co washed thats why co washing didnt work for me.

KdsLady09

I voted for two weeks. However, at about a week and a half my scalp is so itchy, I am ready to jump out of my skin!

Ivypearl08

Hmmm...interesting discussion because I currently wash my hair once a week. But when I go to the hairdresser I wash every two weeks so I don't lose the style. I think to each his own on this one. I can probably go about 2-3 weeks without washing my hair but it would be absolutely filthy. And on top of that I get a lot of dandruff. I actually like washing my hair every week but it's a pain and it just increases the manipulation in my hair. Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Aggie

Don't get me started ... :lachen:

I will start a challenge and document my progress in my album. Ok, don’t laugh, but last night when I first read this thread, I actually started a folder in my Fotki album. I deleted it though. I usually wash every 5-7 days. The past 1.5 months it’s been about every 2 weeks. And it has been working for me. What’s another 2 – 6 weeks … :lachen:

BTW, thanks for adding the “r” in that quote. I just noticed that and corrected it J

No problem Ballerina_Bun. I am really tempted to do this but have no clue how I'll manage. I may wait until I get my hair braided up again and experiment then to see what what will happen. I'll TRY to go as long as 3 weeks without washing but that's as long as I'll go I think.

There are 3 people that choose 2 months or more and 2 people that choose 3 months or more in the poll. I would love for those people to chime in. I would like to know what their regimen was during those 2-3 months ... just for fun.
Come on ladies where are you?

If sherrylove really went that long, I hope she pops into this thread to share some. I wonder what she did with her hair during this time? Sherrylove … where are you :grin:

I would like to know too:grin:.

Hair Iam

After a trip to the salon ..I go two weeks without washing ...during that time the only thing I put on my hair end is "CHI" I put noting on my scalp. When I wash and go ..I deep condition 2 times per week ....which means every 3-4 days .

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I remember Sherrylove saying that, at one time, she had gone months without washing her hair and it grew at a very fast rate during that time.
I remember that.

And Loveya4eva shampoo's every 3 weeks and her hair is insane! It's super thick and tailbone length. She's relaxed too.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My preferance is 2 weeks but when I'm wearing natural styles which is most of the time now I wash once a week because I use a lot of product. If I heat style I will wash no more than once every two weeks. When I had a big trim a few years ago I went from bsl to wl so fast doing this!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
OK I have dumb question:
Is it the low manipulation or something else that would cause an increase of hair growth from not washing hair for months at a time? Are these people not using any products? :brainy:
It's the low-manipulation. I use products sparingly when I go 2 weeks.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Everyone is different, I can go two weeks before my scalp begins to itch. I wait two weeks when I have a weave, but I usually cowash 3-4X a week.

I really think that it depends on the person and how oily/itchy their scalp is
I think this is true. I don't sweat in my head at all so I'm sure that helps me. I also hear a lot of people say they itch after a few days....I've never experienced that....not even up to the 2 week mark. Just normal itches.....I just scratch it and keep it moving, lol.

I know some co-wash a lot for the moisture but it does nothing as far as moisture for me. My hair feels the same as when I shampoo:ohwell:. My hair is most moisturized when I leave it alone the whole week and use my moisturizers, oils and butters. I don't wanna wash that good stuff out:grin:.

envybeauty

Question for those who last 2 weeks+:

Does you scalp not itch? When does it begin to itch?

After a few days (LITERALLY), my scalp is itching like crazy. Case in point: Overpaid for a wash and set on Friday. By yesterday, my scalp started itching. Washing it today. Sometimes I feel like my money is going down the drain if I can barely make it through the weekend without re-washing it.

I used to make it to two weeks as a kid but I don't remember if I unconsciously scratched it and kept it moving or if it didn't itch at all.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

After a few days (LITERALLY), my scalp is itching like crazy. Case in point: Overpaid for a wash and set on Friday. By yesterday, my scalp started itching. Washing it today. Sometimes I feel like my money is going down the drain if I can barely make it through the weekend without re-washing it.

I used to make it to two weeks as a kid but I don't remember if I unconsciously scratched it and kept it moving or if it didn't itch at all.
No, nothing I can say I've ever noticed. It I get any itches it may be a day or two after the two week mark but I think that's all in my mind because I know I've passed my 2 week mark, lol.

I guess everyone's skin is different. What do you use on your scalp if anything? I really don't think it should be itching like crazy after a few days. Maybe a tingle here and there but not crazy, lol.

envybeauty

No, nothing I can say I've ever noticed. It I get any itches it may be a day or two after the two week mark but I think that's all in my mind because I know I've passed my 2 week mark, lol.

I guess everyone's skin is different. What do you use on your scalp if anything? I really don't think it should be itching like crazy after a few days. Maybe a tingle here and there but not crazy, lol.

I do not put anything on my scalp at all. There are days where my hair looks GOOD but I have to wash it bc my scalp is itching. As in, I'm scratching at least once every hour. That is too much for me.

I thought of trying dry shampoo for this very reason so I can go longer between washes. Don't know if it will work though

Solitude

In the past I went 2 weeks, but that was way too long for my scalp. Now I wash every 4-7 days. I co-wash sometimes, but I usually use poo & deep condition every time I wash.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I do not put anything on my scalp at all. There are days where my hair looks GOOD but I have to wash it bc my scalp is itching. As in, I'm scratching at least once every hour. That is too much for me.

I thought of trying dry shampoo for this very reason so I can go longer between washes. Don't know if it will work though
Hmm....it could be itching because your scalp is dry. Maybe a light oil would help. Certain shampoo's can throw off the ph which leaves the scalp dry and trying to get back to where it's supposed to be. Not sure if this is the cause, just throwing ideas out there. I would definitely try massaging a light oil on your scalp a couple times a week.

In some cases all the shampooing could be making already present scalp issues worse.

ChasingBliss

I wash or co wash every 4 days or so. I work out several times per week....with cardio 4 of those days. So I cannot afford to skip days without at least cleansing my scalp whether it's washing or cowashing. Also I now use all natural products so I am not worried anymore about chemicals and build up.

ChasingBliss

I used to think that it was a waiting thing. But when I was washing with regular products, my scalp was on fire by the 6th day--(NOTE: this was before I increased my workout... I was washing every Saturday only.) I realized that I may have a problem with the chemical ingredients. When I switched up, all of that changed.

Christelyn

I'm using a dry shampoo from Ojon right now because I am currently in the process of stretching my wash days back to two weeks. For me, it works great. I'm not having extreme itches. I will easily make it to two weeks, maybe more because I am also using more natural products that don't build up.

envybeauty

I used to think that it was a waiting thing. But when I was washing with regular products, my scalp was on fire by the 6th day--(NOTE: this was before I increased my workout... I was washing every Saturday only.) I realized that I may have a problem with the chemical ingredients. When I switched up, all of that changed.

Oh oh. I may scream.

The only thing that really touches my scalp is my BELOVED keracare detangling shampoo. It is the only product I LOVE!!!!!!!!!! Been faithful to it for over 10 years. :yep:

Maybe I can use something natural on my scalp and keracare on my ends. It detangles my hair like nobody's business. I love that poo -- i Can't give it up....just yet. Bought two bottles yesterday at the JCPenney sale.

I just dunno. I do want to be free from the itchies though. :ohwell:

MsGoody531

Good Morning,

I don't post much, but I found this topic intersting. I have been weaving my hair up for almost 3 years...*thinking*. It is up for 3 months and I do not wash it. I will use the waterless shampoo by Organics Root Stimulator around the edges and inbetween braids when I think about it (Not often). I work out 5 times a week and sweat, but I don't use alot of products. I smell my hair often to see if it stinks and it doesnt. When I started my hair was short above my ear and now my hair is way pass shoulder length and possibly longer because I have never done a length check, but stretched it is pass my sholder. My stylist was not happy about the not washing, but she couldn't believe how fast my hair has grown. I stillI am nervous about wearing my realy hair but I will be doing this for my Birthday May 31st. I don't know WHY, but my hair loves it. :lachen::lachen::lachen:I will try to find some old pictures and then the new pics when I get my hair done with heat for the first time in 3 years.

Last edited:

hairmaster

I just hope none of these wash once a month people work in the health care field can you emagen what could be growing up in their heads??? I don't care if I was bald I have to shampoo once a week or more.

Miamori

The max for me right now is about two weeks, usually only when I am trying to enjoy my hair after a recent salon visit or relaxer without having to spend hours of time and effort re-styling it myself.

The longest I've ever gone is a month (before I began actively growing my hair), though it was frequently rained on during that time. I was only oiling it daily.

I washed my hair about every 2-4 days last year (mostly cowashes), but this past semester I took on so many courses and additional obligations at my college, and wanted to do well, that I put my hair washings on the back burner, and washed it about once per week.

Anew

I wash twice a month. I used to wash every 3-4 days, then once weekly. It really does nothing but cause more manipulation for me... No problems with twice monthly washing..

Pandora1975

I dry out if I wash too often. Its like the evaporating water takes my existing moisture with it. However, that also causes me to wash about once a week because I have to add so much product to combat the dryness. I voted every other week cause I can do that in braids, and as bad as my hair looks today, I'm considering returning to them.

<sigh> My hair is the ultimate catch 22.

natstar

I love putting products on my hair and it's fine/thin so it gets tangled easily. So 1 week max. As I build up to 7 days my hair gets more moisturized and works better for me. but at day 7 it's a wrap