What protective style works for you?

Jeezelle

Is the best protective style having the ends tucked or just keeping it off your clothing?
My favorite is pulling my hair back [not tightly] and pinning it under. It doesn't touch my clothing.

ThursdayGirl

my hair isn't quite long enough for a proper bun... so I would say French twist!

inthepink

SweetPea, your bun is beautifu! Hod do you do it??

I mostly wear my hair in a braidout but I usually pin it up with a barrette or scrunchy.

sweetcocoa

The bun and the braid in my pic (but with the ends tucked up underneath the braid). It sorta looks like a braided french roll.

[ QUOTE ]
For me, it's the bun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! Although, I love french twists & rolls, but can't do them myself.

localhost

[ QUOTE ]

I mostly wear my hair in a braidout but I usually pin it up with a barrette or scrunchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment, Hairlove. Here's how I do my bun:

I made it using a foam donut (purchased at Sally's for about $2). I first moisturized my hair and put it into a ponytail. I then put the foam donut over the ponytail and spread the hair over it using a rattail comb (to ensure that the hair is evenly distributed). Next, I slide a scrunchie over the donut-covered-hair to make sure that the hair stays smooth over the donut. Finally, I tuck my ends under the scrunchie, and that's it!

I've checked out your pics, and you do a pretty mean bun too

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it using a foam donut (purchased at Sally's for about $2). I first moisturized my hair and put it into a ponytail. I then put the foam donut over the ponytail and spread the hair over it using a rattail comb (to ensure that the hair is evenly distributed). Next, I slide a scrunchie over the donut-covered-hair to make sure that the hair stays smooth over the donut. Finally, I tuck my ends under the scrunchie, and that's it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet Pea that bun looks great!
But I thought that foam was bad for our hair?

To answer the poster's question, I like to wear buns now and my hair up with a banana clip.

Chichi

ComfortablyNumb

I'm reluctantly on the bun challenge but for the last few days I've been experimenting with wigs (even though my hair is still pinned up underneath. I love, love, love it. Having great hair has never been so easy.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to try one of those donuts too! Your bun looks great!

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, SweetPea! I may have to buy a donut...I like that your bun is so big! It's so pretty that way!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, hairlove. I think it looks so big due to the angle I took the picture at. When I began experimenting with buns, I made my own sock bun and it was so tiny! I think that the donut gives me good size...

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet Pea that bun looks great!
But I thought that foam was bad for our hair?

To answer the poster's question, I like to wear buns now and my hair up with a banana clip.

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi, foam may cause friction with some folks and ultimately lead to breakage as it rubs agains your hair. I have covered my donut with a stocking/nylon-like material, specifically a wave/scully cap. I'm experimenting with covering the donut with a piece of one of my satin headscarves....securing it with nail glue

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to try one of those donuts too! Your bun looks great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Isis

ngaa

braids and weaves have been doin my hair a lot of good lately coz my hair aint long enough to put into a bun

Karonica

Weaves!

It's the only style where I don't have to "do" my hair, but I never get bored. There are just too many options with them!

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea, where is the picture of your bun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it in my avatar. I've noticed that off and on my pics don't show up and I don't know why. But it's there!