My protective style

sexyeyes3616

Is this considered a protective style i use an elastic band not a rubberband the scunci bands and then i tucked my ends under with a double prong clip. It looks like a bun. My hair has been stuck at the same length for about 6 or 7 months now. I must not be retaining length. I dont know if its because i dont wear my hair up enough, or the band is putting to much stress on my hair. And i also sleep with my hair like this. I leave it in the "bun" and put my scarf over my hair.

Last edited:

shunta

Sounds like a protective style to me. As long as your hair is up and those ends are tucked away, I would consider it a protective style. Just make sure that your bun is loose so it wont put too much stress on your hairline.

RosesBlack

Before my hair was long enough for a bun that's what I did. Make sure you don't put your clips/band in the same spot all the time.

lilsparkle825

i agree; it's protective. if i may make a suggestion i would say use nylon ponytail holders instead since you wear it everyday. take a knee high and cut a circle off the top part and use that.

FlawedBeauty

maybe its the tucking of the ends thats killin u. i dont like to tuck my ends i like to clip them up. i'm afraid to bun or tuck them under i just feel like the ends will very dry or something. i like to add profectiv break free to my damp hair after my shower and seal with amla oil. i think leaving my hair in a loose twist or a braid helps to seal in moisture really well.

u might only have 3 responses out of all those views because not everyone that views is a paying member able to post.

hth :)

cmw45

Is this considered a protective style i use an elastic band not a rubberband the scunci bands and then i tucked my ends under with a double prong clip. It looks like a bun. My hair has been stuck at the same length for about 6 or 7 months now. I must not be retaining length. I dont know if its because i dont wear my hair up enough, or the band is putting to much stress on my hair. And i also sleep with my hair like this. I leave it in the "bun" and put my scarf over my hair.

ETA: How come my thread only has 145 views and only 3 responses.

:needpics:

LOL

vestaluv1

I dont really brush it i comb it every now and then. I use heat when i wash my hair which is every two weeks.

Hi there!
You say you use heat every two weeks; sorry for all the questions but:
  • What heat protectant do you use?
  • Do you use a blow-dryer and flat iron every time?
  • Do think that you could maybe cut down the amount of time you use heat to say once a month? I say this because I know my hair does better with minimal heat usage.

gorgeoushair

Sometimes I use the prolong clip or a bobby pin. I see no harm in using the clips.

For retaining length, be sure to keep your hair moisturized especially the ends and do regular deep conditioning treatments.

FlawedBeauty

are you putting product in your hair almost daily until u wash 2 weeks later??? product build up could be weakening your strands and causing breakage when you comb. if i have too much product on my hair it starts to break off. you should probably try to clairfy and DC maybe once a week.

I dont really brush it i comb it every now and then. I use heat when i wash my hair which is every two weeks.

SouthernTease

I don't think the problem is with your
protective style... it looks pretty protective
to me... what I do see it that your hair
is bone straight...
if you're really really serious about growing out
your hair... you might consider NOT USING HEAT
and adopting a low manipulation regimen...
and stretching your relaxers...
also baggying, co-washing, more frequent washing...
you know if you stop using heat & wear protective styles
then you wouldn't ever need to trim...
I went a year without trimming and my hair was fine...
I could go on forever...
I have a blog and a fotki ... you should check them out...

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

ETA: How come my thread has 145 views and only 3 responses.

In a sense, yes it is a protective style. But if you're hair is like mine, you may be doing more harm than good. I use to keep my hair in a pony for protection and my hair got really ate up. It would gro from the root, because I kept having to relax, but my ends were breaking and splitting and I had some damage right at the place where I kept my pony secured. I have stopped pony tails all together and opt for braid outs, twist outs, roller sets, basically anything to shrink the length upwards and keep it off my shoulders, but nothing to secure it and I have seen a change.

MzOptimistic

maybe its the tucking of the ends thats killin u. i dont like to tuck my ends i like to clip them up. i'm afraid to bun or tuck them under i just feel like the ends will very dry or something. i like to add profectiv break free to my damp hair after my shower and seal with amla oil. i think leaving my hair in a loose twist or a braid helps to seal in moisture really well.

u might only have 3 responses out of all those views because not everyone that views is a paying member able to post.

hth :)

I agree with the bolded. I think you're causing too much friction on your po ends. JMO:rolleyes: I'm afraid to bun and tuck my ends under too. I like to baggie my ends with coconut nut oil or vaseline and JBCO. My ends are neva eva dry, unless I'm wearing my own down, which is rarely:grin: OP,If you must bun on dry hair, make sure to slather on ALOT of whatever you use on your ends and kill that tucking your ends under the scrunchie. I'm just saying:perplexed Kill it...

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
This is the protective style I have been wearing the last couple weeks. I dip my elastics, clip or bobby pin in olive oil before I put it in my hair.

Sashaa08

I wear this protective style almost everyday and it has actually improved my ends. I use Seyani hair butter on the ends and then roll it up and secure it with bobby pins. Every night, I remove the hair band, massage my scalp, and twist my hair on top of my head and secure with a silk scarf or bonnet.

sexyeyes3616

Hi there!
You say you use heat every two weeks; sorry for all the questions but:
  • What heat protectant do you use?
  • Do you use a blow-dryer and flat iron every time?
  • Do think that you could maybe cut down the amount of time you use heat to say once a month? I say this because I know my hair does better with minimal heat usage.

I use paul mitchell super skinny serum but i just ordered some beyond straight by maxius.

Yes i do.

No because my hair is really thick and thats why iuse heat i like my hair to be really straight.

leona2025

I use the same ponytail holders. I just do ponytails everyday. Maybe I should start tucking the ends up like you do. I'm not sure, but I think I may be getting some breakage around my hair line from ponytails. I don't do them tightly. Have you experienced this? I can't tell if this happened recently or if it was before I started taking care of my hair.

sexyeyes3616

I use the same ponytail holders. I just do ponytails everyday. Maybe I should start tucking the ends up like you do. I'm not sure, but I think I may be getting some breakage around my hair line from ponytails. I don't do them tightly. Have you experienced this? I can't tell if this happened recently or if it was before I started taking care of my hair.

No i haven't had any breakage.

Sashaa08

What about a barette clip instead of the ponytail holder?

It works for some. My hair used to get stuck in the metal of the hair clip and would pull it out or break it off. Now, I just try to vary the height of my ponytail and part my hair in front on either side (alternating) to reduce tension on my hairline.