Whats the longest time you have or will sit to achieve a particular style?

gennatay

I was considering getting Senegalese Twist this weekend, until the braided told me that it would take 7-8 hours to install. For me that's too long. The most I'd be willing to style my hair or let anyone else style it is 4 hours tops (including wash and dry time)

So, what's the longest you've ever sat or are willing to sit to get a style done?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I've sat straight for 9 hours for micros. I've also done two 6 hr sessions for mini micros.

That was when I was in my 20s with not much else to do but college and the occassional part time job. Now in my late 30s with a career and child? Hell no. 4 hours is my limit.

Royalq

when im doing my own box braids, and dont have to stand in front of a mirror, 4-5 hours but spanning over like a week i cant do it it one sitting.

greenandchic

I didn't want to pay $125 to get my hair braided at the "African shop" so I hired a fellow high school classmate to do it. Regular sized box braids took almost 10 hours for her to do. Never again. The shop only took 4 hours - they were super fast and my hair was APL. That was in 1995 and needless to say I never done anything like that again. I just saved money from my $4.25/hr (minimum wage) job and had it done right from then on.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
90 minutes.

I had Milli Vanilli braids put in the first time I BCed and had the woman chop them off when she was done. I know she was ticked off but I did pay her for it. I think I was there for 8 hours.

I will never make that a part II! 90 minutes is the longest I can do.

MsDee14

8 hours..single braids.

But when I was younger, it would take like 2 days since the lady would eat, bathe, cook, do her nails, tend to her children and go to church in between.

CurliDiva

About 12 hours for waist length micro braids at an African braid shop. We took a lunch and potty breaks but they were working it!

Ann0804

12 hours back in 1999 when I got those long Janet Jackson/ poetic justice braids. I don't have that kind of patience anymore.

faithVA

I know I've done at least 6. I think if you keep the style for 2 or 3 months, 6 to 9 hours is not unreasonable. It takes me a minimum of 2 to 3 hours a week to twist my hair. Across 2 months that is 16 - 24 hours. So 6 hours without having to retwist for 6 to 8 weeks :yep: That's a time saver to me. For me it's just whether I want to take my punishment at one time or do it over several weeks :yep:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
About 12 hours. Looked great at the end though. Loved it. Got that done in an African salon in Paris. It lasted a long time too. Do I have the patience to do that now? No... I can't bear the thought of it which is why I refuse to do twists or braids myself or have them done. I want to be done styling my hair in 15 minutes tops.

daydreem2876

carpe diem
Whatever the style is... 2 hours max, meaning I am walking out of the door at 2 hours. If it can't be done within that time frame, it's not happening to this head :nono:

I'm tender headed and don't like other people combing my hair, never have :look:

Kiowa

I can barely sit under the steamer now for an hour..:grin::lol:

My days of leaving a Salon in the wee hours of the morning are over..way over...but back in the day, I'd do a 12hr wait...no more...

homegirljiggy

When I get my Senegalese twists twice a year I sit either 3-4 hours with two braiders, or 6-7 hours with one braider. I bring a good book, magazine, and my cell phone. The shop normally has an African movie playing as well... not too bad

Angelinhell

I was considering getting Senegalese Twist this weekend, until the braided told me that it would take 7-8 hours to install. For me that's too long. The most I'd be willing to style my hair or let anyone else style it is 4 hours tops (including wash and dry time)

So, what's the longest you've ever sat or are willing to sit to get a style done?

Same amount of time it took for my senegalese twists, and they weren't even as small as I wanted them to be. So I know for a fact I could NEVER sit through micros.

And of course the unnecessary 7-10 hours at the salon for wash and sets/ relaxers on my shoulder length hair.

Last edited:

cookiemonster287

I sat for about 14 hours getting my sisterlocks in when I was 15. They were beautiful, but extremely small. I cut them off 3 years later. Got bored.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'll sit for as long as I need to to get it done. I am very patient and i don't like walking around with 1/2 done hair.

trclemons

Years ago, I thought I picked some decent size braids that would take about 1.5 hours and it ended up taking 3 hours. Well, that was alpha and omega for me.

I just don't have the patience.