Which one is hardest on your hair? Winter or Summer?

Which season is worst for your hair?

• Winter

Votes: 218 68.6%
  • Summer

Votes: 60 18.9%
  • Neither both are fine

Votes: 40 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chasturner84

Winter is horrible for my hair as it is always dry and I have yet to find a good moisturizer for that time of year. My hair thrives during the summer months because of the humidity here in TN. I saturate my hair in scurl and it stays soft and moisturized for days.

Geminigirl

Winter for me, especially in my nape area. Only thing about summer is that my hair makes my face do oily because heat melts my products (shea butter and oils)

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Long Hair Care Forum App

AMAKA127

Winters in MD are sooo cold, I had no choice but to protect my hair with braids or a wig ... thats what I did this winter at least

nymane

The weather doesn't really affect my hair, but if I had to choose I'd say winter, just because my winter coats really snag my hair :ohwell:

Truth

Winter. My only reasoning for that is because I get lazy in the winter. I did good this winter as far as keeping it under wigs and braided up,well for the most part. If I actually took better care of my hair during the winter it would be fine ...

BeautifulRoots

Summer! My hair is extra frizzy and dried out from all the heat and humidity. I also sweat much more in my scalp so I have to wash more frequently...which means more manipulation and more chances for breakage.

In the winter, my hair is perfectly fine. It stays moist and doesn't frizz out. Much less manipulation in the winter also because my hair stays the way I style it. The winters where I live are pretty mild though considering the coldest it gets is around 20-35 degrees. Also, no snow during the winter, just frost some days.

Lita

Winter,Because I have to do so much more with my hair...Summer I can use just about use any product with no problem & just go...

Happy Hair Growing!

Curlykale

Summer. Very dry here. I am going to baggy overnight and add more oil to my products this time... I agree, baggying is the best discovery after oil rinses to me.

Aggie

I live in the tropics so I would say neither since it's pretty warm and humid almost all year, which does my hair good except for when I want to straight style it. The humidity is certainly not my hair's friend then:nono:.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Definitely summer.
I can extend my wash days to biweekly in the winter and it's much easier for me to keep my hair moisturized then (heavier products, growth boost from using growth balms on my scalp, and wearing caps majority of the time keep my hair protected). The summer heat and sun takes its toll on my exposed hair.

Last edited:

GGsKin

Winter is hardest on my hair. Not only does my growth slow down, but it has the cold air and a shed load of wool (in the form of scarves, coats, jumpers) to deal with. I notice I wash my hair more frequently in the winter.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
This year I'd have to say neither. Guess I've got my product/application down. I don't remember my hair being dry over the Winter, and the only issue i'm having this summer is not wanting to do my hair at all. Surprisingly, the excessive heat hasn't been an issue. When it dries it remains dry and is soft and curly 'til next wash day.

Daina

For me it's summer...I suffer from HIH (hands in hair) syndrome. I manipulate my hair much more in the summer than winter. In the winter I normally just bun and I also GHE more. I love being able to wear my SLAP cap which is satin lined so I get to keep my hair covered all the time. In the summer I just want to wear my hair out more and thus mess with it too much.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Summer. It's really hot and dry in NYC and then you go into AC which is cold and dry. Sun is blazing and killing your hair. Train stations 10 degrees hotter. Heat index from the sidewalk alone lol. I have to frequent wash, but hat still doesn't help much.

The Winter may be dry but the air is not at bad. I also use the humidifier more and heavy sealing works better. Probably because of less sun. I can get away with not washing for 2 weeks in the winter.

NaturalShe94

The seasons don't change my hair growth, but I can say that I like winter for my hair more than summer.... In the summer I have to wash my hair more because it gets so oily.... And I wear my hair up more because it's just hot and irritating.... I love winter because for one my hair keeps me warm and also my hair doesn't need to be washed so often like in the warmer months.... I also use coconut oil year round but it does my hair better in the winter.... Coconut Oil hardens when it's cold so when I'm outside and the cold wind is blowing, when I touch my hair, it feels thicker and a bit stiff and I can feel the Coconut oil actually protecting my strands... Then when I get indoor, it softens again and it doesn't feel dry.... I also have to do way too much work to prevent frizz in the summer. Winter time, no frizz! Love winter.